PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What level to start second campaign?

Laserlight
2016-08-10, 12:10 AM
Current campaign has gone from L3 to L10 in a year, in a few weeks we'll finish this one and start a new campaign. And of course the first question is "what level do we start at?" I don't particularly want to drop them all the way back to 3 but I'm leery of saying the new campaign will start at 10.

What have you found works well?

Goober4473
2016-08-10, 12:19 AM
I usually prefer to start back at 1 when beginning a new long-running campaign. I also really prefer lower levels in general, but consider that a new campaign is pretty much a new game. Ultimately, it depends on the campaign you want to run. Do you want it to be like Dragon Age, where you begin as a new character each game, or Mass Effect, where you're really just continuing the plot with a new big story line?

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-10, 06:49 AM
Assuming you want to start below 10, here are good levels to consider...
3: at this point, all single classed characters have a subclass
5: extra attack for most martials, 3d6 sneak attack for rogues, and third level spell slots for full casters
8: two ASIs/feats for single classed characters (fighters have three); MCers will likely only have one (unless fighter 6-7/X 1-2), but will also likely have gotten to a key feature of their second class.

Zman
2016-08-10, 07:51 AM
Starting at one of the Tiers is always a solid idea, 1st, 5th, etc.

If you are looking at starting hire you could use a fast forward system similar to flashbacks. Start at level 1, run a session and have them level to five for the next session. This was their character intro where they all met. Next session they are 5th level for a session or two for another adventure that sets up the plot. Have them level to 11th for the 3rd session and start the campaign there. This can be done with any combination of levels till you get to your starting point and it lets the players feel their characters grow and change and gives them a bit of attachment to them.

Goodberry
2016-08-10, 09:08 AM
In our group, we started our most recent campaign at 9th. The reason for this is that we've spent most of the last 25 years playing approximately 1-11 and wanted to get a chance to play some higher levels for once. However, if this is your second campaign, I'd recommend starting at 1 and speeding up levels at the beginning. Since you've already played to 10, try leveling up every session from 1-5 and every other session from 6-10 then slow it down.

Shining Wrath
2016-08-10, 09:25 AM
You either design the campaign first, and then choose the level to suit; or you choose the level (possibly in cooperation with the players), and design the campaign to match.

Starting at 5th or 8th lets the characters have made several significant choices (archetypes, 2 ASI/Feats, and so on).

If you want to have new characters you can do a campaign from 5 to 15.

XmonkTad
2016-08-10, 02:51 PM
Personally, my groups tend to start at 4 or 5, but they're usually "semester" length, not as long lasting as your last campaign. For you, you should think about what the scope of your game is. I once ran a game that started at 12 back in 3.5 because I wanted to let them have access to plane shift because they were up against "multi verse" level BBEGs.
So what do you need your players to be able to do, and how long will you be playing for?

gfishfunk
2016-08-10, 02:57 PM
5 is pretty good for starting. There still is not a lot of complications, so people can really feel out their class and, as a DM, you are able to figure out how they work as well.

BigONotation
2016-08-10, 03:29 PM
My 2 cents : I've started campaigns at 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 6th in 5E. If you're players already know each other, start at 3rd. If their characters already know each and have history start at 5th or 6th.

Laserlight
2016-08-10, 04:16 PM
The previous campaign was "You Must Go To The Lost City And Save The World"; therefore, as a change of pace, this one will be sandbox.

Reaper34
2016-08-10, 07:37 PM
i prefer to start at 1st and work up. 3rd is a good starting point too. but it all depends on your group. if you want to start at 10th why not just make it an extension of the campain you are already in?

XmonkTad
2016-08-11, 09:26 AM
The previous campaign was "You Must Go To The Lost City And Save The World"; therefore, as a change of pace, this one will be sandbox.

For a sandbox, start them at level one or two. Let them get used to a small portion of the world before saying "you have a whole multiverse to explore, go nuts!" With a sandbox, the scope of their adventures can increase as they level up. Starting them too high would unground them, and the world might feel large and empty rather than lived-in.