PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger invention ideas

UnwiseAlistair
2016-08-10, 12:27 AM
So I'm playing a gunslinger in a 5e game using Matthew Mercer's fighter archetype, and the DM has decided to allow me to try and invent new devices, within reason. Does anyone have any suggestions for some outside-the-box ideas? I've not been able to come up with much besides things like scopes or silencers, or various ammo types. I do have a laboratory set up that I can use and a reliable source of black powder. Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

Sabeta
2016-08-10, 01:42 AM
I'm not familiar with the class, but if you've got a gun then special ammo could always be fun. Shotgun pellets that do weak damage over a short spread (like, 10 foot cone), a Pierce bullet that is capable of passing through enemies, and can even hit multiple times for large or larger creatures. Perhaps a syringe that fires small healing bullets at allies.

Oramac
2016-08-10, 09:03 AM
Tranquilizers would be fantastic, and would give you the only way to make a ranged attack non-lethal.

Also, you don't just have to make ammo. If you've watched Critical Role, Percy (played by Talieson Jaffe) has made guns, explosives, saddles for flying brooms, mechanical hands for an NPC, and a host of other items. It depends largely on the dice rolls, but with decent rolls you can make damn near anything.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-10, 10:04 AM
One of my old characters that I was playing in the campaign before this one I'm playing it right now was a Matt Mercer Gunslinger he War heavy armor and was a pistol and shield build. I took The Shield Master feat. Before my character died which I'm still mad about. He was working on a shield with a pressure plate to push back a flint to ignite a powder that was inside a barrel sticking out of the center of the Shield. So when he would Shield bash some somebody it would push down the pressure plate igniting the power powder shooting the gun which I think we had it due to do 2d4 damage.

Edit: I was always in melee range that's why I was Heavy Armor and shield with a pistol to compensate for the disadvantaged white male my DM let me use the Close Quarters shooter fighting style from one of the Unearthed Arcanas.

gfishfunk
2016-08-10, 11:21 AM
Thrown Bullet Grenade. Essentially a 10' radius AoE that uses up a lot of bullets.

Oramac
2016-08-10, 12:01 PM
Also, consider your campaign and invent something specific to that. We can't really help you much on this point, but it's the most likely one to be approved by your DM, especially if you use his lore to make your invention.

Klorox
2016-08-10, 08:15 PM
How about a grapple gun like Batman has?

Klorox
2016-08-10, 08:16 PM
Or a gun that shoots spells, like web or grease.

Laserlight
2016-08-10, 09:36 PM
So I'm playing a gunslinger in a 5e game using Matthew Mercer's fighter archetype, and the DM has decided to allow me to try and invent new devices, within reason. Does anyone have any suggestions for some outside-the-box ideas? I've not been able to come up with much besides things like scopes or silencers, or various ammo types. I do have a laboratory set up that I can use and a reliable source of black powder. Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

If your character were a superhero, what utilities-at-range would you want? I'd want fire, AoE attack, big fire, smoke, grapnel, maybe a signal flare, oil slick, long-range shot, perhaps a message-ball (tuck a slip of paper with 25 words inside before sealing and firing--if your DM is like me, he can roll to see if the paper survives or is burned), and smething to blow open doors. What would you use STR for? Gunpowder is just STR in powder form...

Floorlock
2016-08-11, 12:43 PM
Lol. You could always attempt to create the Archimedes Death Ray that I'm rather certain Percy never got to create on Critical Role. ;-)

Floorlock
2016-08-11, 12:53 PM
Depending on how mean of a person you are...you could also be the type to rig up a functional explosive filled with scissors and other sorts of sharp edges to spread throughout a room. Ya know.

Floorlock
2016-08-11, 12:56 PM
And depending how crazy he/she lets ya go...you could always move up to mortar cannon type devices. ;-)

GlenSmash!
2016-08-11, 03:41 PM
You could do a nock gun. it's basically a musket with 6 barrels that all fire at once with on pull of the trigger. Lot's of potential damage, but a lot of time to reload. Going a bit more fantasy how about a portable cannon? Or a Gas gun like Green hornet?

uraniumrooster
2016-08-11, 04:14 PM
Duckfoot Pistol! (https://www.google.com/search?q=duck+foot+pistol&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin5PyrobrOAhVIzWMKHYnDAr8Q_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=1077)

You could also use rockets for a number of uses. Rocket-propelled arrows with a time-delayed fuse, or an ignition source triggered by a trip wire or pressure switch, could be used to set up traps and ambushes. Or you could just have your rockets deliver an explosive payload, but that would take a lot more powder.

Mines would be another good option. Set a few mines up then lure the enemy into your trap.

James warden
2016-08-11, 04:31 PM
Nice one keep it up to provide useful info

UnwiseAlistair
2016-08-12, 11:56 AM
Wow, thank you for all these great ideas, I never could have thought of these by myself.

Klorox
2016-08-12, 03:26 PM
Wow, thank you for all these great ideas, I never could have thought of these by myself.

Just one of the many reasons this is the best D&D message board!

Reaper34
2016-08-12, 08:09 PM
hmmm all i can think about is rails (attachment points on firearms).

light spell on a stone inside a tube with a focus lens at front. Flashlight under the barrel.
replace light with daylight and place cap over lens with pin point hole in center. laser sight
under the barrel single shot shotgun
bayonet

onward.
piece of flint held over steel with a spring. all inside a case filled with powder and extra shot/nails. landmine

may come back later when i have more time.

EDIT: for more fun

clip on/barrel mirror for looking around corners.
a gillie suit for the sniper in all of us.
bi/tripod
modular weapon for quick swapping in those critical failures.
tactical sling
starlight/air burst flares. for when you just have to see in the dark
shell/cartrage holder on stock
tracer rounds