PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with optimising my char

SneakySquidd
2016-08-10, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

I am starting a new campaign which strictly uses the PHB 1 & 2. I want to play a human Cleric but am thinking about taking the first level as a Fighter for the martial weapons, full BAB etc.

The problem is that I've never played either before and am looking for some advice with how to be a beastly melee character who uses buffs from time to time.

My stats are: 15, 12, 11, 11, 11, 10 (can be put in any order).

What weapons do you suggest? Any advice on feats for the first couple of levels? Or tips on which direction I should steer my character (sword and board, 2HW etc.)

Any advice at all would be appreciated

Stewzors
2016-08-10, 08:00 AM
Fighter with buffs is going to be tricky with just those books - tbh in your shoes I'd just go straight Cleric. Maybe consider taking the War domain?

Granted Power: Free Martial Weapon Proficiency with deity’s favored weapon (if necessary) and Weapon Focus with the deity’s favored weapon.

War Domain Spells

Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
Spiritual Weapon: Magical weapon attacks on its own.
Magic Vestment: Armor or shield gains +1 enhancement per four levels.
Divine Power: You gain attack bonus, +6 to Str, and 1 hp/level.
Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
Blade Barrier: Wall of blades deals 1d6/level damage.
Power Word Blind: Blinds creature with 200 hp or less.
Power Word Stun: Stuns creature with 150 hp or less.
Power Word Kill: Kills creature with 100 hp or less.

Have you considered just playing a Paladin? Again I know there are so many options outside the core books, but if you want full BAB with some buffs/spells rather than combat feats that's probably going to be your best bet...

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-10, 09:53 AM
You don't have great stats for a gish. You can put the 15 in wisdom, which gives you nice enough casting, but that leaves little for melee stats.

The solution: alter self, polymorph, Wild Shape. Take the form of something that does have good stats, and ignore your own. Don't bother with fighter levels, but do consider druid over cleric. There are no PHB races that will help your stats, so just go with human.

LastOblivion
2016-08-15, 05:52 PM
Ouch, those stats are pretty painful to work with since their are just slightly short of the auto-reroll line. with just those stats you can run either a full martial or a full caster you don,t have room for anything else really.

If fighter, then you run with the 15 in strength, and go with the shock trooper tree (power attack -> Improved Bull Rush -> shock trooper ) so as to dish out the damage. Being a martial means one of three things, you have to either be able to put down enemies (DPS), Keep them locked Down (Control) or just be good at staying alive. Since you can only have a decent strength, Pain Train seems like your only option. Pick up a greatsword, use your headless charge and swing for the fences.

If cleric, then just stay full caster with 15 wisdom, since you won't even have a 13 in your Str, Dex, Con, or Int. you wont even be able to gain and usable feats form fighter multi-classing. There is nothing wrong with playing a back line cleric, just smite your enemies with spells rather than weapons. Cleric is a tier one class regardless, even with poor stats and not many books to call on, cleric, wizard and druid with still out-scale every other class by a long shot. In fact its only in some of the additional books that fighters and like get some nice feats and variant features that let them be more than just the meat shields of their caster lords.