PDA

View Full Version : Paladin 17 / Bard 3 Celebrator of the Light

WereRabbitz
2016-08-10, 11:26 AM
I am thinking of doing a Paladin 17/3 Build Wanted opinions.

Background: Entertainer
Oath: Ancients
College: Lore
Style: Duelist

Feats: Lucky, Stats, Shield Master, ?, ?

Stats:
Str: 18
Dex: 11
Con: 17 +1 Level 8 ASI
Int: 10
Wis: 13
Cha: 17 +1 Level 8 ASI

Expertise: Athletics/Performance

Was looking for Happy go Lucky Paladin who celebrates music and life as his form of worship to the light often buying beers and/or playing at towns. Also willing to give people second chances and often tries to capture people vs killing them on sight.

Mechanically:

Athletics Expertise = A very high Shove/Grapple/Break out of bonus
Baric Inspirations + Lucky helps avoid sticky situations
Shield Master & Sentinel help fill up the Bonus & Reactions action economy
17 Paladin opens up level 5 spells, but level 3 bard opens up expertise & all the skill bonuses.
Get Bard level 1 & 2 Spells as end up with 1 spell more then a level 20 paladin.

Downside:

Creatures that are Huge can't be shoved/grappled unless someone wants to cast Enlarge and then the bonuses are still high.
Lose out on 30ft Auras
Lose out on Capstone

Plan B is a Halberd with Polearm Mastery / Sentinel and 20str :P

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-10, 12:58 PM
It can work, but if you only have three levels left for paladin - and considering that Paladins get some of the best capstones in the game - why? Are the skills really worth it?

I'd go with plan b.

Alternately, consider this as a way to maximize smite potential (no divine smite though), get PAM and sentinel, and keep in line with your skill desires:

Fighter (eldritch knight) 15/paladin 2/bard (lore) 3. Caster level 9. Assuming you start with a race that provides + to str, you'll have str 20 + PAM + sentinel... + three attacks (four with the PAM bonus attack using the butt end of your polearm), max smite potential (again, minus improved though), and a ton of skills alongside two expertises.

And don't forget to pick up find familiar! Can have a furry friend constantly giving you Help on all attacks!

Corran
2016-08-10, 02:16 PM
Was looking for Happy go Lucky Paladin who celebrates music and life as his form of worship to the light often buying beers and/or playing at towns. Also willing to give people second chances and often tries to capture people vs killing them on sight.

Regarding the theme above, this is easily achievable by a single class paladin of the oath of the ancients, with the entertainer background (or a custom background that would give him proficiency in performance and with some musical instruments). Though adding levels of bard fits the theme perfectly. So it could go either way.

Regarding mechanics, a 17/3 split is not good imo. There is no point going paladin (especially ancients since the capstone is one of the best in the game) all the way to 17 level just to stop there. You are missing on the aura improvements, which is huge, a feat/ASI, and you are missing the capstone (ancients) which again, is HUGE! So if you want quite a lot of paladin levels, go all the way to 20 (that's why I made a mention above that a pure paladin would fir the theme).

If however, you would like some bard sweetness, and theme-wise you would like your music and entertaining skills to be more than just... entertaining skills (so you want some bard magic and things like inspiration to showcase this aspect of the character mechanicaly), then I would suggest going with a multiclass that features more bard (lore) levels. I have not looked extensively at bard-paladin multiclass optimization, so I reserve to make any definite statements, but my instict tells me that you should probably go with something like paladin11/bard9, or paladin9/bard11.

JeffreyGator
2016-08-10, 03:17 PM
If however, you would like some bard sweetness, and theme-wise you would like your music and entertaining skills to be more than just... entertaining skills (so you want some bard magic and things like inspiration to showcase this aspect of the character mechanicaly), then I would suggest going with a multiclass that features more bard (lore) levels. I have not looked extensively at bard-paladin multiclass optimization, so I reserve to make any definite statements, but my instict tells me that you should probably go with something like paladin11/bard9, or paladin9/bard11.

This was my thought as well.

You will have to pick between lore bard 10+ for level 5 paladin spells and Paladin 11+ for divine smite.

EK 3 / Paladin 6 / Lore Bard 11 lets you have a familiar and a mount and level 5 paladin spells & two styles!

You have 15 levels of spell slots (which is only 1 each 6,7,8th levels).

You can use GFB or booming blade potentially as proxies for divine smite.

Possibly another alternate is bard 14 / paladin 6

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-10, 03:34 PM
This was my thought as well.

You will have to pick between lore bard 10+ for level 5 paladin spells and Paladin 11+ for divine smite.

EK 3 / Paladin 6 / Lore Bard 11 lets you have a familiar and a mount and level 5 paladin spells & two styles!

You have 15 levels of spell slots (which is only 1 each 6,7,8th levels).

You can use GFB or booming blade potentially as proxies for divine smite.

Possibly another alternate is bard 14 / paladin 6

Paladin 11 is improved divine smite. That's the free 1d8 on damage without spell slot usage. 11/9 paladin/bard (or vice versa) doesn't make much sense if you want to primarily focus on melee. You'll be a good backup tank, but not a primary tank. You'll also be a good support caster, but not a primary one there either.

The EK 3/pal/bard build you list is redundant when you can grab a familiar with (additional) magic secrets. Also, the only reasons to go EK are for the extra extra attack at level 11 and ASI/feat frequency, while not losing out on the max number of fourth level spell slots to smite with. With PAM, you're potentially getting in four smites a round!

WereRabbitz
2016-08-10, 03:40 PM
So if i stayed Pure Paladin what Feats should I pick up if i flip flop and go the PAM route? Working in a Large group of about 6 or 7 players so Thinking of taking Charisma to 20 to give more saves. Or would dipping 8 levels fighter be better to pick up more ASI's ?

Style: Great Weapon Fighting

Feats: Lucky, Stats, PAM, Sentinel,

Stats:

Corran
2016-08-10, 03:54 PM
So if i stayed Pure Paladin what Feats should I pick up if i flip flop and go the PAM route? Working in a Large group of about 6 or 7 players so Thinking of taking Charisma to 20 to give more saves. Or would dipping 8 levels fighter be better to pick up more ASI's ?

Style: Great Weapon Fighting

Feats: Lucky, Stats, PAM, Sentinel,

Stats:
You've got it right about charisma. Use your ASIs to boost charisma to 20 from early on, aura of protection is going to be very important with that many allies. And with a good charisma and many allies, inspiring leader (feat) seems like a very good choice. Regarding other feats, I would definitely suggest PAM, and if you dont mind the fluff, I would suggest using a quarterstaff and a shield (with PAM), and take the dueling fighting style too. For a more detailed optimization analysis, you can have a look at Foxhound's post in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494881-Paladin-oaths-weapon-of-choice-feat-support-race-and-action-economy) (just scroll down to find it, it's in the first page), where he makes a very good case for the oath of the ancients.

Citan
2016-08-10, 04:13 PM
Hi!
I plus the other posters telling about going either pure Paladin or multiclass heavier on Bard.
For pure Paladin, Ancients is indeed the best mechanically (although Devotion also works well for you since you want to preserve life, and immune to charm is good too).

For a multiclass Paladin / Bard, I would suggest a Devotion|Ancients Paladin 9 / Lore Bard 11 split. While Pal 11 / Bard 9 also works very well because free extra 1d8 radiant on melee weapon attack, I feel that and the Aura of Courage do not weight as much as better spellcaster level, additional Expertise, 2 other Magical Secrets, Bardic Inspiration becoming 1d10 and access to 6th level spells (Mass Suggestion seems a very sweet way to me to try and win fights without any bloodshed).

It depends on your focus though of course. If you prefer having a better standard melee attack, go Pal 11.

For the choice of Oath, it also depends on your priorities.
- Tanking for you and close friends > Ancients (magic resistance).
- Dealing constant better, more reliable damage > Devotion, especially if you plan on going GWM (Vengeance is barred because thematically opposed to your concept).

With that, take Inspiring Leader and you're set!

EDIT: as for choosing between multiclass or single-class, it's very simple. Browse all abilities of Ancients Paladin (including auras and spells), the more or less heavy "nature-lover" related roleplay, then decide if you like it. If yes, enjoy. Otherwise, multiclass to enjoy expertise and interesting debuff spells (not including Magic Expertise boons ;)).

Have fun! ;)

EDIT 2

Paladin 11 is improved divine smite. That's the free 1d8 on damage without spell slot usage. 11/9 paladin/bard (or vice versa) doesn't make much sense if you want to primarily focus on melee. You'll be a good backup tank, but not a primary tank. You'll also be a good support caster, but not a primary one there either.
I'd say it's a bit of a strong assertion. After all...
- pure Paladin gets many nice buffs, but few spell slots to fuel them (especially since he also wants to smite).
- pure Bard is weak in melee (unless built for it), but gets plenty of spell slots, and can grab many great spells for melee thanks to Magic Secrets.
>>> Mixing both in a balanced way means you can use more buff spells such as Bless / Shield of Faith / Magic/Elemental Weapon (Paladin) or Mirror Image / Shield / Haste (Bard Magic Secrets) in your day while keeping a good amount of spell slots for smiting.
Basically, "as a Paladin", you get less tight resource management, along with wider options of spell buff (of course you lose higher Paladin features which are great, but that is beyond topic I think).

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 05:42 AM
Hi!
I plus the other posters telling about going either pure Paladin or multiclass heavier on Bard.
For pure Paladin, Ancients is indeed the best mechanically (although Devotion also works well for you since you want to preserve life, and immune to charm is good too).

For a multiclass Paladin / Bard, I would suggest a Devotion|Ancients Paladin 9 / Lore Bard 11 split. While Pal 11 / Bard 9 also works very well because free extra 1d8 radiant on melee weapon attack, I feel that and the Aura of Courage do not weight as much as better spellcaster level, additional Expertise, 2 other Magical Secrets, Bardic Inspiration becoming 1d10 and access to 6th level spells (Mass Suggestion seems a very sweet way to me to try and win fights without any bloodshed).

It depends on your focus though of course. If you prefer having a better standard melee attack, go Pal 11.

For the choice of Oath, it also depends on your priorities.
- Tanking for you and close friends > Ancients (magic resistance).
- Dealing constant better, more reliable damage > Devotion, especially if you plan on going GWM (Vengeance is barred because thematically opposed to your concept).

With that, take Inspiring Leader and you're set!

EDIT: as for choosing between multiclass or single-class, it's very simple. Browse all abilities of Ancients Paladin (including auras and spells), the more or less heavy "nature-lover" related roleplay, then decide if you like it. If yes, enjoy. Otherwise, multiclass to enjoy expertise and interesting debuff spells (not including Magic Expertise boons ;)).

Have fun! ;)

EDIT 2

I'd say it's a bit of a strong assertion. After all...
- pure Paladin gets many nice buffs, but few spell slots to fuel them (especially since he also wants to smite).
- pure Bard is weak in melee (unless built for it), but gets plenty of spell slots, and can grab many great spells for melee thanks to Magic Secrets.
>>> Mixing both in a balanced way means you can use more buff spells such as Bless / Shield of Faith / Magic/Elemental Weapon (Paladin) or Mirror Image / Shield / Haste (Bard Magic Secrets) in your day while keeping a good amount of spell slots for smiting.
Basically, "as a Paladin", you get less tight resource management, along with wider options of spell buff (of course you lose higher Paladin features which are great, but that is beyond topic I think).

Absolutely...but you're not gonna be dealing as much melee damage with the almost-50/50 split, which is what the OP seems to be after. If you really wanted much greater spell and skill options, go paladin 2-6/bard 14-18. You'll get extra expertise, your aura, level six+ spells, ninth level spell slots, and if you stayed under five levels in paladin, PAM+smite makes up for otherwise lacking an extra attack.

Corran
2016-08-11, 06:05 AM
@OP: To add something to the already good advice given in this thread, if you end up going with a heavy bard multiclass, and thus end up with high level spell slots, AND you plan on fighting in melee, then you might want to consider a warlock dip (1 or 2 levels, myself I would go for just 1), so that you can grab the spell armor of agathys and to be aable to use it with your higher level spell slots. It will be a very decent melee buff. Perhaps archfey to fit the character's theme?

WereRabbitz
2016-08-11, 07:58 AM
@OP: To add something to the already good advice given in this thread, if you end up going with a heavy bard multiclass, and thus end up with high level spell slots, AND you plan on fighting in melee, then you might want to consider a warlock dip (1 or 2 levels, myself I would go for just 1), so that you can grab the spell armor of agathys and to be aable to use it with your higher level spell slots. It will be a very decent melee buff. Perhaps archfey to fit the character's theme?

I want to thank everyone for all the advice such good suggestions here.

Couple Questions though:

Has anyone tried dipping 8 levels into Cleric? Life or War domains without going heavy into Wis? You could get divine strike & lots of handy Channel Divinity options + a nice array of buffs/heals that aren't DC dependent so you could go with the minimal 13wis. Life gives you some nice healing bonuses & the Channel Divinity basically replaces the Lay of Hand points you lost for multi classing except it's better cause you can do it twice per day.

Also Dual Wielding as Paladin is it better then PAM?

PAM
Reach + Bonus 1d4 Attack + OA

Dual
+1 AC (Feat) + Bonus 1d8 Attack

I don't think I can honestly go the Quarterstaff + Shield route simply because it sounds goofy in my head.

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 08:09 AM
I want to thank everyone for all the advice such good suggestions here.

Couple Questions though:

Has anyone tried dipping 8 levels into Cleric? Life or War domains without going heavy into Wis? You could get divine strike & lots of handy Channel Divinity options + a nice array of buffs/heals that aren't DC dependent so you could go with the minimal 13wis. Life gives you some nice healing bonuses & the Channel Divinity basically replaces the Lay of Hand points you lost for multi classing except it's better cause you can do it twice per day.

Also Dual Wielding as Paladin is it better then PAM?

PAM
Reach + Bonus 1d4 Attack + OA

Dual
+1 AC (Feat) + Bonus 1d8 Attack

I don't think I can honestly go the Quarterstaff + Shield route simply because it sounds goofy in my head.

Cleric works very well - pal 12/clr 8 is fantastic IMO (as opposed to a similar split of pal 11/brd 9) as long as you go with one of the cleric domains that provide you with divine strike. I'd suggest life over war though, as PAM's bonus action attack competes for the wis mod bonus action attack, and your smite/strike d8s can cover for the sudden drop to a d4 when you use the butt end of your polearm. If you intend to take PAM with your first ASI/feat, I'd say go pal 1-2, then cleric to 8, then finish with pal. Otherwise, get pal to 5 first.

As for PAM vs TWF...it really depends on if your party has another melee. If they do, I've seen that reach aspect basically equate to the PAM PC never even being targeted by stupid enemies, even if he's only in the literal second row from the fight. Who cares about AC at that point.

If there's no other melee PC...I'd actually still say PAM (just not as solidly). The extended range of AoOs is worth it.

WereRabbitz
2016-08-11, 08:58 AM
Cleric works very well - pal 12/clr 8 is fantastic IMO (as opposed to a similar split of pal 11/brd 9) as long as you go with one of the cleric domains that provide you with divine strike. I'd suggest life over war though, as PAM's bonus action attack competes for the wis mod bonus action attack, and your smite/strike d8s can cover for the sudden drop to a d4 when you use the butt end of your polearm. If you intend to take PAM with your first ASI/feat, I'd say go pal 1-2, then cleric to 8, then finish with pal. Otherwise, get pal to 5 first.

As for PAM vs TWF...it really depends on if your party has another melee. If they do, I've seen that reach aspect basically equate to the PAM PC never even being targeted by stupid enemies, even if he's only in the literal second row from the fight. Who cares about AC at that point.

If there's no other melee PC...I'd actually still say PAM (just not as solidly). The extended range of AoOs is worth it.

I think it actually works though and doesn't say it uses a bonus action.

Divine Strike:

So you would get:
Attack 1 + Smite
Attack 2 + Smite
Bonus Attack + Smite
Divine Strike

1d10 + 1d8
1d10 + 1d8
1d4 + 1d8
1d8
~71 max damage possible?

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 10:13 AM
I think it actually works though and doesn't say it uses a bonus action.

Divine Strike:

So you would get:
Attack 1 + Smite
Attack 2 + Smite
Bonus Attack + Smite
Divine Strike

1d10 + 1d8
1d10 + 1d8
1d4 + 1d8
1d8
~71 max damage possible?

What's "it?" Divine strike is basically the (appropriate domain) cleric quasi-equivalent of improved smite - added damage die on a weapon attack for free, with damage type varying based on domain. Your calculations should look like...

1d10 (base) + 1d8 (divine strike) + Xd8 (where X = appropriate number of dice for spell slot converted to smite) + str mod: attack
1d10+ Xd8 + str mod: extra attack. Note you only get to add divine strike damage once per turn. That's not as bad as it sounds; it's only a waste on the latter attacks if all your attacks hit; the extra and bonus attack are an insurance policy for divine strike.
1d4 + Xd8 + str mod: bonus attack

And this is from reach. Stack GWM on top of PAM, and suddenly you're dealing an additional +10 damage (at the cost of -5 from your attack roll) per hit, too.

WereRabbitz
2016-08-11, 11:36 AM
What's "it?" Divine strike is basically the (appropriate domain) cleric quasi-equivalent of improved smite - added damage die on a weapon attack for free, with damage type varying based on domain. Your calculations should look like...

1d10 (base) + 1d8 (divine strike) + Xd8 (where X = appropriate number of dice for spell slot converted to smite) + str mod: attack
1d10+ Xd8 + str mod: extra attack. Note you only get to add divine strike damage once per turn. That's not as bad as it sounds; it's only a waste on the latter attacks if all your attacks hit; the extra and bonus attack are an insurance policy for divine strike.
1d4 + Xd8 + str mod: bonus attack

And this is from reach. Stack GWM on top of PAM, and suddenly you're dealing an additional +10 damage (at the cost of -5 from your attack roll) per hit, too.

I mean the combination of Paladin 12 /Cleric 8.

Lots of good Synergy here I never even considered.

Cleric 8 means you can use Channel Divinity twice per short Rest
And gives you 4 CD's to pick from:
Turn Undead
Turn the Faithless
Preserve Life
Nature's Wrath

Preserve life is fantastic quick healing for your part renewable on a short rest and Lay of hands still has a good place removing poisons and healing above half.

Caster Level ends up being 14 so more spells then normal Paladins

I'd lose level 4 or 5 spells but gain up to level 4 cleric spells not a bad trade off.

Citan
2016-08-11, 11:57 AM
Absolutely...but you're not gonna be dealing as much melee damage with the almost-50/50 split, which is what the OP seems to be after. If you really wanted much greater spell and skill options, go paladin 2-6/bard 14-18. You'll get extra expertise, your aura, level six+ spells, ninth level spell slots, and if you stayed under five levels in paladin, PAM+smite makes up for otherwise lacking an extra attack.
Hey ;)
Well, if the priority is damage, I indeed have to agree with you. After all, Magic Secrets would allow the player to pick one or several of the good attack buffs spells (Haste, Elemental Weapon) and get many more spell slots to use them.

With that said, I don't think it would make THAT much of a difference, efficiency-wise, for a gish.
The main difference between 9/11 and 6/14 (to take the option closest in "balance") would be extra ASI and 2 spellcaster levels (including 2-3 6th level spells). Which is significant indeed in terms of smiting and gives way to some great spells.

However, Paladin's 3rd level spells are basically all great:
- Aura of Vitality for off-combat healing.
- Blinding Smite can trivialize a fight against a powerful physical creature.
- Create Food and Water means never die in desert or dungeon.
- Crusader's Mantle would be great against undead or if closing to several martial friends.
- Daylight can nullify Weakness (IINM).
- Dispel Magic, well, no need to explain. ;)
- Elemental Weapon, which is usually a tough choice of spell slot because Paladin has so few, can now be used on a more regular basis.
- Magic Circle can trivialize encounters.
- Remove Curse or Revivify could save your friends.

So, you get 10 great spells which are perfectly in phase with Bard's support role (some of which being actually on the Bard's spelllist) and can be prepared at will, thus freeing some space for Bard's "own" spelllearning.

Whereas a 6 / 14 would have to still learn as Bard the support spells (such as Revivify or Dispel Magic) and potentially spend Magic Secrets on Paladin's spells.

Hence my recommendation for this split, because IIRC the OP didn't specify the party he's with: 9/11 makes him very versatile and balanced, and imo good enough to fill the roles of healer and debuffer at the same time, while holding his own in melee.

Of course, if/once there is a Cleric or another Bard in the party, he can then focus on damage (and skills indeed) and just cherry pick any good buff he wants, including Paladin's 3rd level spells, or just the traditional Haste. ;) Meaning that 6 / 14 (7 / 13 if Ancients) split would be better in nearly all aspects.

Note that in both cases, OP could use Magic Secrets on Circle of Power, which seems like a no-brainer to me for any and every support wanabee. ^^

WereRabbitz
2016-08-11, 12:12 PM
7 people everything but a bard & Rogue are present :)

Citan
2016-08-11, 01:52 PM
Well, in that case, I second the 6/14 (7/13) suggestions, unless you intend to use at least half of the Paladin's 3rd level spells on a regular basis.

Enjoy ;)

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 08:24 PM

I'm a little lost...what ARE you going for? Initial reading of your subject line and first post would indicate melee damage dealer w/charisma. But I'm getting the feeling you want to be a bard way more than for just shoring up spell slots.

If this is indeed the case, have you considered valor bard? Hear me out...pal 2/valor bard 18. If your party has everything else but a rogue, let someone else dole out buffs similar to the paladin. Basically, with valor you can get the extra attack by CL 8, get your smites as well, and this build caps out at the equivalent of a 19th level caster. Very small price to pay. No more extra skills (though you could burn an ASI for the skilled feat), but as long as you have your cha bases covered, you should have what you want.

I will say this: normally the 11/9 split is a decent one, but Paladins just get increasingly awesome as you get closer to 20.

WereRabbitz
2016-08-11, 10:09 PM
I'm a little lost...what ARE you going for? Initial reading of your subject line and first post would indicate melee damage dealer w/charisma. But I'm getting the feeling you want to be a bard way more than for just shoring up spell slots.

If this is indeed the case, have you considered valor bard? Hear me out...pal 2/valor bard 18. If your party has everything else but a rogue, let someone else dole out buffs similar to the paladin. Basically, with valor you can get the extra attack by CL 8, get your smites as well, and this build caps out at the equivalent of a 19th level caster. Very small price to pay. No more extra skills (though you could burn an ASI for the skilled feat), but as long as you have your cha bases covered, you should have what you want.

I will say this: normally the 11/9 split is a decent one, but Paladins just get increasingly awesome as you get closer to 20.

Sorry to be confusing as I can get a bit distracted sometimes.

I'm the only Paladin, and I sort of mixed in a bard like background, that I can pull of via roleplaying alone without multiclassing if I wanted too.

To be honest I want my Paladin to be good at martial combat.

Our group consist of Druid, Sorc, Cleric, Barb, Fighter, Monk, and my level 5 paladin. I just wanted to be able to stand out a bit. Part of the reason I liked the paladin/cleric combo was more smites for burst damage and the divine strike put me up to 7 damage rolls per turn if everything hit and with bless up it prob will. Fact of the matter is we got 3 strong casters and 3 strong melee and i'm the hybrid in the middle. I bring some nice aura's to the group, but other then that i'm a half cleric half fighter when we have a pure cleric life and pure fighter and I was concerned I wouldn't stand out.

That why i was debating the multiclass like bard to bring something unique, or cleric to increase my constant damage and with more smite potential, I was also debating SNB vs PAM although i'm fairly certain Pam is going to be my better choice since the whole size requirement for shoving hurts shield mastery late game.

Hopefully that clears it up

Citan
2016-08-12, 05:25 AM
Sorry to be confusing as I can get a bit distracted sometimes.

To be honest I want my Paladin to be good at martial combat.

Our group consist of Druid, Sorc, Cleric, Barb, Fighter, Monk, and my level 5 paladin. I just wanted to be able to stand out a bit. Part of the reason I liked the paladin/cleric combo was more smites for burst damage and the divine strike put me up to 7 damage rolls per turn if everything hit and with bless up it prob will. Fact of the matter is we got 3 strong casters and 3 strong melee and i'm the hybrid in the middle. I bring some nice aura's to the group, but other then that i'm a half cleric half fighter when we have a pure cleric life and pure fighter and I was concerned I wouldn't stand out.

That why i was debating the multiclass like bard to bring something unique, or cleric to increase my constant damage and with more smite potential, I was also debating SNB vs PAM although i'm fairly certain Pam is going to be my better choice since the whole size requirement for shoving hurts shield mastery late game.

Hopefully that clears it up
Ok. ;)
So, basically...

Skills-wise
You have all WIS skill covered, potentially some CHA (Sorcerer) or INT (Fighter, Eldricht Knight?) covered, certainly STR skills (Barb / Fighter) and DEX skills (Fighter? Monk?).
If Fighter is not EK, we can assume INT skills won't be covered.

So, going with Bard levels would indeed be a nice idea: Expertise + Jack-of-all-Trades will give you a definite role in some skills and the skill monkey of the party. I'd suggest at least one CHA skill, and maybe Stealth if nobody else took it (Fighter going DEX, with background, or straight Monk).

With that said, apart from INT skills, there is a good chance your party could cover all skills by carefully coordinating builds so staying pure Paladin could be largely enough.

Combat-wise
Party has already at least two good healer/support (Cleric, Druid), two frontliners (Barb/Monk), one blaster (Sorcerer), one versatile (Fighter especially if DEX or EK). So you can play anything (although frontliner would be better especially if Barb goes Wolf Totem).

Spell-wise
Many of Bard spells are learnable also by Sorcerer, Druid or Cleric. So you don't really have a gap to fill.
Same can be said with Paladin, except for the fact that Paladin has quite a few exclusive spells that are great overall, some of which accessible only late.

TL;DR
Multiclassing Paladin and Bard can be a great choice if you...
- Are looking for a more versatile build.
- Want to be THE skill master or fancy some particular spells that only a Bard can get.
- Are not interested in higher level Paladin spells and just want many more slots to smite away.

However, my opinion is that you will very unique already as a single-class Paladin: auras are not something to sneeze at (especially if you manage to reach 18th level), smiting is quite a defining feature, and you get several spells that are exclusive to you and would greatly benefit your party, such as Aura of Life or Crusader's Mantle.

So, if you're hesitating just because you're afraid you won't get your individuality, I'd say just stay as Paladin and see how it goes. At least, until you get lvl 6 (and 7 if Ancients) auras. Also, if you want too melee damage, I'd say extra 1d8 on every hit (Paladin lvl 11) is too good to pass. ;)

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-12, 01:17 PM
Ok. ;)
So, basically...

Skills-wise
You have all WIS skill covered, potentially some CHA (Sorcerer) or INT (Fighter, Eldricht Knight?) covered, certainly STR skills (Barb / Fighter) and DEX skills (Fighter? Monk?).
If Fighter is not EK, we can assume INT skills won't be covered.

So, going with Bard levels would indeed be a nice idea: Expertise + Jack-of-all-Trades will give you a definite role in some skills and the skill monkey of the party. I'd suggest at least one CHA skill, and maybe Stealth if nobody else took it (Fighter going DEX, with background, or straight Monk).

With that said, apart from INT skills, there is a good chance your party could cover all skills by carefully coordinating builds so staying pure Paladin could be largely enough.

Combat-wise
Party has already at least two good healer/support (Cleric, Druid), two frontliners (Barb/Monk), one blaster (Sorcerer), one versatile (Fighter especially if DEX or EK). So you can play anything (although frontliner would be better especially if Barb goes Wolf Totem).

Spell-wise
Many of Bard spells are learnable also by Sorcerer, Druid or Cleric. So you don't really have a gap to fill.
Same can be said with Paladin, except for the fact that Paladin has quite a few exclusive spells that are great overall, some of which accessible only late.

TL;DR
Multiclassing Paladin and Bard can be a great choice if you...
- Are looking for a more versatile build.
- Want to be THE skill master or fancy some particular spells that only a Bard can get.
- Are not interested in higher level Paladin spells and just want many more slots to smite away.

However, my opinion is that you will very unique already as a single-class Paladin: auras are not something to sneeze at (especially if you manage to reach 18th level), smiting is quite a defining feature, and you get several spells that are exclusive to you and would greatly benefit your party, such as Aura of Life or Crusader's Mantle.

So, if you're hesitating just because you're afraid you won't get your individuality, I'd say just stay as Paladin and see how it goes. At least, until you get lvl 6 (and 7 if Ancients) auras. Also, if you want too melee damage, I'd say extra 1d8 on every hit (Paladin lvl 11) is too good to pass. ;)

^this. How long has the group been together? I'd recommend staying paladin through your level 8 ASI if the group hasn't been together very long, to test out how well everyone synergizes.