PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Bink's Dark and Stormy Knight

Farmerbink
2016-08-10, 04:29 PM
The dawn breaks bright over the hilly plains of eastern Varisia. Another notch goes on the back page of your journal: Riddleport is now thirteen days behind you. The small caravan you traveled most of that time with turned around in Abken, but if rumors are to be believed, your destination still lies far ahead. You've already seen three monoliths of obviously Thassilonian make- though none have yet opened the window of the mind into your never-ceasing questions about The Gate. Still, both were well worth the afternoon spent vaguely scrawling recognizable words and meaningless symbols alike into the pages of the journal.

At some point, you tell yourself, it will all come together. I has to.

Still, despite the risk, you journey onward- alone for now. Kaer Maga is said to hold innumerable vaults of information- for those daring and keen enough to decipher it...
In the open plains, it's hard to remember why you had to leave Magnimar. It's been 4 days since you had a bed with a roof, and the bugs! They're everywhere! It makes you wonder if anyone is following....

Nothing to be done for it but keep going.
The ferry across Lake Encarthan was less exciting than you were lead to expect. One half-noteworthy storm drizzled rain and made for an unpleasant day, but otherwise, the eastern shore of Nirmathas appeared, as expected, on the fourth morning.

It has since been several weeks, and you've found yourself seeing many things- helping villagers, defending old women, and now you've followed what you believe to be a bugbear for almost three weeks. It is said that the creature murdered a pair of families, struggling for a livelihood in the western part of the country. Ever westward, you followed the tracks.

Hilly plains stretch before you. You're not even completely sure where you are anymore, but you haven't yet fully lost track of the brigand. Perhaps today will be the day that those farmers' deaths are avenged...

Over the course of the morning, the sky has been slowly but steadily darkening- the smell of rain thick in the air. Now, it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape from horizon to horizon. The sun is hidden behind massive, black storm clouds, and a cold wind tears across the hilly countryside from the north. Bolts of lightning begin to slam into the ground, shattering trees and blinding all living things within a half mile. If that weren't enough, a sudden flurry of hail stones begins careening out of the sky. The need for shelter rapidly becomes obvious.

Ahead in the distance, a massive hill rises from the ground, its form brilliantly illuminated by the same blinding bolts of lightning. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it would be suicide in this weather, it might bear an outcropping that would provide safety from the storm. Within a few harrowing moments, the only other alternative is desperate prayer.

You bolt, from three different directions, for the hopeful safety of the tor. The massive hill- almost more a mountain- towers above the surrounding countryside. A few narrow ledges provide meager protection from the elements, but a closer inspection reveals a wide, arched entry at least 20 feet high, set into the side of the hill. The ground outside slopes gently away from the doorway, directing the falling water out and away. Given this fact, and the obvious sturdy nature of the hill, whatever space lies within should be both dry and safe from lightning and hail. You step past a stony frame into sudden peace.

The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with significant care, but now little remains but ages of dust. Three massive stone doors- one each to the left and right, and one directly across- lead deeper into the tor.

Welcome, welcome! Feel free to have your characters arrive and meet each other. You're welcome to try the doors, if you feel adventurous, but know ahead of time that they are locked and will not open. As a semi-famous cartoon once quipped, "let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"

Richter
2016-08-10, 07:10 PM
Halthus walks along at a steady pace, his eyes locked in the book that is perched on the tip of his staff in motion that would likely cause most to become quesy if not for a great deal of practice. Some people have sea legs, he has book legs.

He doesn't notice the gathering storm until the clouds darken the sky enough that it begins to become hard to read. Even then, it wouldn't be the first time him getting lost in the pages and not realizing night fall was upon him, so his first instinct is to pull out his striker and prepare to light a torch. Then the hail comes and with a soft swear he quickly pops the book of his staff and tucks it safely away in his waterproof bag even before bothering to pull the hood up over his own head.

His eyes cast about for shelter as his feet begin to move quickly. When the first bolt of lightning strikes, he pauses in his step, mouth agape in fascination, but then quickly starts to hurry again when another bolt strikes, reminding himself that he can't make any notes if one of those bolts catches him.

Finding the ledge is a godsend, and as he ducks inside he shakes off the rain. Striking up one of his torches, he immediately forgets about the storm and its rumbling thunder or bright flashes of lightning, moving around slowly to take in every detail he can, from the quality and possible age of the paint, to the filigree of the scrollwork and the way the stone is carved in the doors. He isn't as safe as he likely should be about it, not thinking of traps as he lets his fingers brush over any carvings to take in every detail.

I'm assuming that my character is the first one there, just because I am posting first, though honestly if someone else was already in the building he probably would not respond too differently(giving a 'hello' before immediately starting to snoop).

Also, are there any relevant knowledges?

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-10, 10:37 PM
Elaine enters the cave shortly after the rain begins to come pouring down. With a surprised squeak she sees the distracted scholar studying the space, but does not greet him yet. Instead she turns and takes a moment to look down at her traveling clothes. In spite of their general utility, even these are plastered against her body in a way that leaves little to the imagination, though that does not seem to bother her. What bothers her, visibly, is the cold. With a shiver she places her small pack on the ground, removes her outer cloak (revealing a gossamer, yellow, and silken traveling outfit underneath), and shakes the cloak dry. Then she neatly folds it on top of her pack and approaches the other man in the cave. "Storm-peace, good sir?" she asks, loudly, with a wary look on her face. She makes it a point to get his attention and waits for an answer before continuing, though she does not approach closer than about ten feet.

MuffinMan
2016-08-11, 07:11 AM
Dae'Reg is the first of Elowyn's party to reach the shelter of the cave, jumping through the entrance as just as another burst of thunder punctuates the growing violence of the storm. The young panther looks startled to find the space unempty, and its fur rises along its back as it crouches low and bares its fangs in a silent challenge at the occupants...

"Dae'Reg - down!" A few seconds later a woman's voice pierces through a lull in the thunder, and then the woman herself comes into view. Tall, brunette, and carrying a heavy pack, the woman also bears a sheathed blade and a long, ornate spear that she uses to vault herself the last few feet up the hillside and into the shelter of the chamber. She sticks the landing in a low crouch before flourishing the spear in a half-twirl and rising without its aid. For its part the panther relaxes its stance at her command but keeps its eyes trained on the others, seemingly unfazed by the woman's unusual entry.

The new woman's pointed ears, weathered armor, and martial bearing are in evidence as she takes a breath and studies the other refugees from the lightning storm. Her spear is held sideways and back as she glances down and speaks a quick word in Elven to the panther:
"Well done, Night-Thorn"
Then, addressing herself to the others, "I am Elowyn of the Kyonin rangers. I am sorry if my companion startled you - you have nothing to fear from him. Storm peace?"

Richter
2016-08-11, 10:31 AM
Halthus blinks as he hears the voices, pulling himself just enough away from the various fascinating aspects of the room to look over and offer a smile. When storm peace is invoked, he takes a few steps closer, though still giving a nonthreatening space between and swaps his staff over to his other hand so he can offer out a hand to shake. "Pleasure to meet you. Name is Halthus."

When the second party bursts in with a flourish, accompanied by such a large beast no less, he starts to take a step back again, startled. He pauses quickly though and smiles wide as if delighted by a concept. "He speaks elven? What other languages does he understand?" He begins to rattling off a greeting to the panther in a number of different languages, only to pause when Storm-Peace is again invoked. His brow furrows slightly in confusion and he mutters to himself "I didn't realize that was quite so common in these parts. Interesting. Well, my name of Halthus, a pleasure...." He pauses mid sentence, the lightbulb clicking on. "Oh! Yes, yes yes, of course, storm peace! Absolutely."

Farmerbink
2016-08-11, 08:59 PM
An uneasy peace settles on the room, as the three (mostly) humans take refuge from the elements. The storm rages outside, a steady torrential sheet of water now streams across the arched entryway- more lit than unlit by the unceasing pounding of the skies lightning fury. Despite the distortion of the water, most of the entrance hallway is easy to see in the reflected light.

Halthus, more interested in the historical ramifications of the tor than his present company, wanders the large, high-ceilinged chamber with a torch held high. He peers intently at the walls, scrawling note after note about the interesting frescoes. Images of hulking warriors and veritable armies of smaller figures cover the walls. At current, it's impossible to tell what or who the figures might be- they lack any defining cultural features of which you're aware.

Several minutes after Elowyn's arrival, a heavy-shouldered figure tromps through the curtain of water, a round, wooden shield held over his head. He lowers the shield revealing a wide jaw, and jagged tusks protruding from an unhappy frown. The Orc settles easily into a fighting stance as his eyes sweep the room with cold cunning.

It's only then that you notice the wicked-looking axe held comfortably in his other hand.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-11, 09:30 PM
The sound of the storm outside soothes Elaine, who seems visibly relaxed as she sits against the wall of the cave several yards from the entrance. After the shocking entrance of the panther and elven woman, the Calistrian cleric wasn't about to be surprised by another refugee from the storm.

Unfortunately, the appearance of the orc in the entryway threatened to make the scene much more dangerous. "Storm peace?" she says, her voice clear in the confines of the cave. She makes no moves that could be interpreted as threatening, but looks apprehensively towards the elf and her animal. "Now would be a good time to set aside racial enmities - at least until the storm is over..."

MuffinMan
2016-08-11, 10:24 PM
When the second party bursts in with a flourish, accompanied by such a large beast no less, he starts to take a step back again, startled. He pauses quickly though and smiles wide as if delighted by a concept. "He speaks elven? What other languages does he understand?" He begins to rattling off a greeting to the panther in a number of different languages, only to pause when Storm-Peace is again invoked. His brow furrows slightly in confusion and he mutters to himself "I didn't realize that was quite so common in these parts. Interesting. Well, my name of Halthus, a pleasure...." He pauses mid sentence, the lightbulb clicking on. "Oh! Yes, yes yes, of course, storm peace! Absolutely."

Elowyn tenses a moment at Halthus' odd response, and Dae'reg looks on in palpable confusion as the strange elf barrages him with a variety of languages and greetings. After a moment, though, Elowyn begins to relax and a small smile even appears around the corners of her mouth. "He will respond to my commands when given in Elven or the Common tongue," she replies amicably, beginning to shrug off her pack. "I would not advise trying to give him any commands yourself, though - he can be anxious around new people." A particularly loud burst of thunder sets the panther to spinning around and batting at the entrance with a heavy paw - the ranger shakes her head as if to say I-told-you-so. "Fortunate that this place was here when we all needed it..." she observes. "Best to settle in; we've hours of this left to go, at least."

As few minutes later, Elowyn too has made herself a small camp several yards within the cave opening, opposite Elaine. Deciding that the scholar and courtesan pose no threat, she has leaned her spear against the cavern wall - a Light orison on its tip casting a small glow over the area - and her heavy pack lies next to Dae'reg at her feet. She is in the process of softening a strip of jerky in a bowl of conjured water for him when the sudden appearance of the orc changes the room's atmosphere in a heartbeat.

Her features harden, but she remains still - a flicker of her eye towards the spear and a slight shift of her shoulder blades against the scabbard on her back are the only signs of her checking the reassuring proximity of her weapons. Without rising from her crouch she meets the orc's gaze. "I have no quarrel with this one, yet," she replies to Elaine without taking her gaze from the new entrant. "Dae'reg, stay!" She then projects her voice so that there can be no misunderstanding that she addresses the orc. "You are welcome if you seek only shelter. We will keep the storm-peace with those who keep it with us."

Richter
2016-08-12, 10:34 AM
Halthus returns Elowyn's smile and nods both to her and then the panther. "Oh, never, I'm not really the demanding sort. A request at best." He glances about, looking at how to make things a little more homey for the new arrivals and skips over his mess kit and rations completely, ready to point out some little oddity or another in a piece of the stone or an odd splash of paint that might hint at what the design once was.

The new arrival causes the scholar to again pull away from his distractions to turn and face the new arrival. He goes less on his immediate guard than the others, smiling and presenting his hands out palm up as if to display he has no weapon, though his quarterstaff(and more importantly book) stay tucked safely in the crook of his arm.

He glances to the others and then tries his own hand at calming the stranger down, speaking in orc.

Are you more comfortable in this tongue, my friend? We seek a storm-peace and were all driven here by the weather. None of us will hurt you and this cave is marvelous. Look if you'd like, I can show you what I've found!

Farmerbink
2016-08-12, 12:15 PM
The Orc looks side to side, unsure what to make of either Elowyn or Elaine. He tilts his head to the side, as they both invoke the undoubtedly familiar words "storm peace." His eyes narrow in distrust, though, and he doesn't obviously respond- until Halthus makes an overture in his native tongue.

Bold, Arial Black text will denote Orcish language.

He glances to the others and then tries his own hand at calming the stranger down, speaking in orc.
Are you more comfortable in this tongue, my friend? We seek a storm-peace and were all driven here by the weather. None of us will hurt you and this cave is marvelous. Look if you'd like, I can show you what I've found!
A heavy, sodden head nods once. "I am. Much." He turns to look at the wall of water, as if weighing his options. Still facing away, he puts the axe in a small loop at his waist with stiff, uneasy motions. "I accept your storm peace. I care not of this cave nor what you've found."

Turning back to the party, he sits scant inches from the sheet of water, and pulls a greasy, meaty-looking hunk of something out of a small bag at his other hip. He leans his shield against the wall, it's visibly pitted surface reflects oddly in the mixed light of magic, fire, and lightning. With an almost complete lack of human-esque etiquette, he rips a piece off of the meat with his teeth and begins sullenly chewing.

Perhaps the environment is less charged, out in the storm.

Richter
2016-08-12, 01:42 PM
When the orc settles down and starts eating, but seems to brush off any other options, Halthus looks to the others and gives a helpless shrug of his shoulders and quickly moves from being concerned about what was a threatening presence a moment ago. "Well then, it looks like we should all settle in. Dinner might not be the worst idea for any of us, I imagine. I've got a mess kit around here somewhere, if we'd like to get a fire going." He pauses and squints up at the rough to look for any cracks. "I don't think we are going to smoke ourselves out in here, it should funnel through the mouth of the cave, though I must admit I've never been very good at all this camping stuff. Also, I've been taking a look at the doors but haven't found any ways past, though they are terrible fascinating. Who knows what might lie beyond them! Have any of you seen a latch or catch around somewhere that might release them?"

MuffinMan
2016-08-12, 07:06 PM
Elowyn watches the orc's reaction carefully, and only begins to relax when his axe is once again in his belt. Looking away in distaste as the orc begins his grisly meal, she finishes feeding Dae'reg his jerky and then stands up, wiping her hands. "You've a gift for tongues, scholar. Perhaps it will be enough to avert bloodshed this night."

"Well then, it looks like we should all settle in. Dinner might not be the worst idea for any of us, I imagine. I've got a mess kit around here somewhere, if we'd like to get a fire going." He pauses and squints up at the rough to look for any cracks. "I don't think we are going to smoke ourselves out in here, it should funnel through the mouth of the cave, though I must admit I've never been very good at all this camping stuff...."

"That is- not a bad idea," Elowyn allows, studying the curvature of the cavern roof for herself, as well as noting Elaine's discomfort from the damp. "Here, I'll start it. Bring any dry wood or kindling you can find..." She begins rummaging in her pack for flint and steel, keeping half an eye on the orc the entire time.
If there is dry fuel accessible, take 10 or 20 to start the fire (+6 mod). Else, forget it

That task complete, Elowyn stands up, stretches, and decides she could use a diversion from the oppressive task of watching the orc like a hawk. "Very well, Master Halthus, show us what you've found so far." She transfers the Light orison to her upraised hand as she follows him back to study the murals and closed doorframes, still occasionally glancing back at the orc but trying her best to think about something else. "I have not seen any latches so far - show me where you've looked..." Dae'reg prowls a few steps behind as she surveys the ruined structures with Halthus, no more trusting of the orc than its master.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-12, 09:15 PM
Until the distracted scholar speaks up and gets a response from the orc, Elaine does not move. As they speak her only response is a slightly raised eyebrow, but when the orc sits and begins eating she seems to relax as well. At the suggestion of dinner she looks up and says, "I have my own rations, but would be willing to help cook something if we can start a fire. It will help me get warmer too..."

After eating she dispassionately watches the half-elf and scholar look at the cavern's doors but does not stand or get involved. Instead, she systematically dries her clothes (stripping briefly without hesitation or concern for who sees her and covering up with her cloak after it has dried) and reading a small book from her pack.

When the other two are done talking about the doors and either of them settle down, Elaine says, in a deadpan tone, "If you want the doors open, you might ask the right question - something like, 'Can anyone pick locks?' would be one such question..."

Farmerbink
2016-08-13, 04:46 PM
Everything tastes better warm, and even trail rations are no exception. A smal pile of dry wood lies not far from the entrance to the cave. Other than the apparent discomfort of passing near the Orc, a small cookfire, complete with a flat heating stone, is prepared and lit with only minor annoyance. Shortly thereafter the cavern slowly begins to fight back against the chill of early-autumn rain.

The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this antechamber seems stable enough. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling. The doors leading into the tor, however, seem to tremble with every thunderclap.

Suddenly, a particularly loud thunderclap erupts outside. Judging by the brilliant illumination of the surrounding scrubland- almost all laid low now, perhaps an hour into the storm- the tor itself must have been struck. A great cacophony fills the space, deafening for it's echoing roar. As you turn back from the opening- you notice with surprise, all three doors have broken open. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the western doorway.

The Orc leapt up at the sound of lightning, and grins when the rats pour into the room. He reaches to his side to draw his axe and readies his wooden shield.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=2056332031)

Richter
2016-08-13, 05:58 PM
Halthus smiles to Elowyn as they prepare the fire and get the meal underway, shaking his head slightly "A gift for languages, perhaps, but a gift of tongues feels like I have a talent for persuasion I can't even pretend. Words I have studied, those are knowable. People are curious and intriguing, but... Much less so to me I'm afraid."

Fortunately, Elaine doesn't have to worry much about changing before Halthus as he works to perfect the fire while also making sure that each piece of tinder they throw into it isn't treasure of historical significance. When she speaks again, he looks up and smiles brightly. "One step at a time! Got to find the lock to pick, right?"

The elf is just in the process of trying to tactfully ask the orc if he'd like to join them at the fire even if he might keep his raw dinner when the thunder booms and the lightning splits the rock. He glances over towards the others, brow knitted together as the squeaking starts. "This, isn't normal, right?"

When the rats come into view, he hurries over to close the gap with the others and lets his staff leap from his hand, launching across the room to strike at one of the rats before flying back to him.

On his action, Halthus will move up to P6 and use hand of the apprentice to launch his staff towards whatever rat looks most hurt if anyone has already struck one, or to the one closest to himself.(If something has changed and that would put him in melee range of a rat, he'll stop a step away.)

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-13, 06:37 PM
Elaine Shemorie (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=900084)
Female Chaotic Good Human Cleric, Level 1, Init 1, HP 9/9, Speed 30 ft.
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-1, 20/x2)
Dagger (x10) -1 Melee, +1 Thrown (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
No Armor (+1 Dex)
Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 12
Condition None
Elaine looks up from where she is, stands, and and says, "Calistria bless the helf-elf," quietly, directing the attention of her goddess to the female warrior.

Initiative [roll0]

Elaine grabs her quarterstaff (it would be lying on the ground next to her), stands, and uses Blessing of the Faithful (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/ecclesitheurge) on Elowyn, giving her +2 on attack rolls until the Elaine's next turn.

MuffinMan
2016-08-14, 09:14 AM
Round 1

Elowyn leaps to her feet at the first sound of the doors opening, as does Dae'reg. As the vermin pour forth she draws the long blade from its sheathe on her back. "Stay behind me! And watch the orc!" After a quick glance backward, she assumes a ready stance and flourishes her blade in anticipation. "Dae'reg, kill!"

Initiative [roll0]

Elowyn moves to M/17, and attacks the rat in L/18 (or the closest if they've moved).
atk [roll1] (+2 Blessing), cc [roll2] (18-20/x2)
dmg [roll3], cdmg [roll4]
(^The +2 from Blessing may not apply this round if Elowyn goes first in initiative)

As a free action she'll "handle (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/skills/handleAnimal.html#handle-animal)" Dae'reg to attack the rat she struck, if it's still alive, or the nearest.
Handle Animal [roll5] vs DC 10

Dae'reg will move to M/18 and attack the rat in L/18 (or the closest if it's moved/dead):
bite [roll6], cc [roll7] (20/x2)
dmg [roll8], cdmg [roll9]
Trip attempt if the bite hits: [roll10]

Elowyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=900710)
Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
HP 11 / 11 Speed ft Init 6
AC 18 Fort 4 Ref 6 Will 2
CMB +2 BAB 0
Elven curve blade +4 (1d10 + 3, 18-20/x2)
Elven branched spear +4 (1d8 + 3, x3)
Dagger +4 (1d4 + 2, 19-20/x2)
(, )
Str 14 (2) Dex 18 (4) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Dae'reg (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=900807)
Panther (small cat template) Animal companion 1 N
HP 18 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
AC 18 Fort 4 Ref 9 Will 1
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)
claw (x2) +8 (1d2 + 1, x2)
Str 12 (1) Dex 21 (6) Con 13 (1) Wis 12 (1) Int 2 (-4) Cha 6 (-2)

Farmerbink
2016-08-14, 03:31 PM
The orc prowls forward, warily. Ready to fight, but not eager to engage without knowing you three any better. He stays near the back, with his axe and shield readied as Dae'reg and Elowyn leap into combat.

Halthus' staff brutally clubs one of the rats into oblivion, while both the huntress and her companion dispatch another pair. Three of the rats swarm about Dae'reg's feet and legs, but fail to effectively bite through his furry hide.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=2056332031)

MuffinMan
2016-08-14, 04:03 PM
Round 2

Elowyn flicks the first rat's carcass away and presses forward, swinging her blade in a vicious upwards slash at one of the rats harassing Dae'reg. The young panther lets out a guttural roar as he engages the vermin, bringing both teeth and paws to bear against the weaker opponents.

Elowyn 5-ft steps to M/18 and attacks R3:
atk [roll0] (+2 blessing), cc [roll1] (18-20/x2)
dmg [roll2], cdmg [roll3]

Free action to push Dae'reg to continue attacking (if necessary): Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 10

Dae'reg full-attacks the nearest rat(s):
claw 1 atk [roll5], cc [roll6] (20/x2)
claw 1 dmg [roll7], cdmg [roll8]

claw 2 atk [roll9], cc [roll10] (20/x2)
claw 2 dmg [roll11], cdmg [roll12]

bite atk [roll13], cc [roll14] (20/x2)
bite dmg [roll15], cdmg [roll16]
Trip attempt: [roll17]

Elawyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=900710)
Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
(, )

HP 18 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-14, 04:38 PM
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
No Armor (+1 Dex)
Condition None
"Thank you, Unquenchable Fire - continue your blessings upon the chosen sting of your vengeance..."

It looks my first use of Blessing of the Faithful will effect Elowyn this round. I am last of the PCs to act, so unless someone else wants to delay their action this round, I will use Blessing of the Faithful on Elowyn again. Otherwise, I can use it on any of the other PCs that would like it - just ask.

Richter
2016-08-15, 09:54 AM
Halthus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=901899)
Male Neutral Good Elf Wizard(Universalist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 7/7, Speed 30 ft.
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 1, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Quarterstaff -0 (1d6, 20/x2)
Quarterstaff(HoA) +5 (1d6, 20/X2)
Cold Iron Dagger 0(+2) (1d4, 19-20/X2)
Silver Dagger 0(+2) (1d4-1, 19-20/X2)
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 10
Condition None

Halthus looks more than a little surprised himself when his staff so neatly brains one of the rats, its a nice trick, but normally reserved for knocking a book off a high shelf so he can catch it. "Great job! This is... This is totally going to plan. Just like normal, right?"

Still, his reaction seemed good, and while Elowyn and her friend are doing quite well with their group, its clear there are some that are going to get by them. Inching backwards to put his back to the fire, he again launches his staff forward with arcane force, striking at the nearest of the rodents.

Five-foot stepping to Q17 and again using hand of the apprentice, striking at R1.

Farmerbink
2016-08-16, 08:55 AM
Despite the overwhelming numbers, Dae'reg and Elowyn obliterate the three rats previously attacking the panther. Halthus again dispatches a fourth with his arcane attack. The final rat lunges forward, and bites Halthus (1 damage).

The final rat is no match for the combined attention of the trio, and is quickly dispatched.

End of Combat

No point waiting for another round of combat for a single not-special rat. ONWARD!

The Orc retreats back to the opening of the cave, smirking in recognition. He doesn't say anything, but his expression speaks volumes.

Richter
2016-08-16, 01:19 PM
Male Neutral Good Elf Wizard(Universalist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 6/7, Speed 30 ft.
AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 1, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None
Expended Powers Hand of the Apprentice: 6/8

Halthus dips down and rubs at his calf where the rat nipped at him, pulling off a belt from his pouch and wrapping it around the wound. "Cursed little things, we had an infestation in the library once and they chewed through far too many books before they were routed." He shakes his head and then straightens up as a sudden thought came to him. "Those doors were pretty well sealed. If they came from back that way, they either had a way out or at least had something to eat. They'll eat all sorts of things, certainly, but many of those things are quite interesting. The storm and the fire aren't going anywhere. Care to see what is back there?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-16, 04:27 PM
"You seem to be quite the curious one, particularly about random caves and the rats that infest them. I cannot say I share the interest, though. Have a nice time..." Elaine says, settling back down at the fire. She begins dressing again, her clothes having dried near the fire. Once dressed, she does decide to stand and walk toward the back of the cave, however, casually looking at the doors with a perceptive eye.

Perception [roll0] to try and figure out why they are suddenly open, find traps, and try to discover why Halthus seems so interested in them...

MuffinMan
2016-08-17, 06:51 AM
"Are you harmed?" Elowyn starts to investigate the scholar's wound until she recognizes it is just a scratch. "Good. That was a handy trick you did with that staff. And you, miss-" she nods to Elaine, beginning to wipe the rat blood from her blade, "I recognized something guiding my strikes. Whatever gods you serve, I appreciate it." She glances back at the orc, looking at them with a knowing expression. "And now that one knows we are no easy prey. A successful sortie, I think."

"Those doors were pretty well sealed. If they came from back that way, they either had a way out or at least had something to eat. They'll eat all sorts of things, certainly, but many of those things are quite interesting. The storm and the fire aren't going anywhere. Care to see what is back there?"

"I am not so interested in what the rats may be eating, but I'm not keen on sleeping next to three open doors with unknown threats behind them." Elowyn replies as she retrieves her spear from the wall and refreshes its Light orison to illuminate the path. "Speaking of threats, why don't you ask our friend if he wants to join us? This concerns him, too, and I'd rather have him where I can see him than skulking about at our backs..."

Once dressed, she does decide to stand and walk toward the back of the cave, however, casually looking at the doors with a perceptive eye.

"Nice of you to join us," Elowyn greets the other woman, arching an eyebrow at her decision to take her time dressing. "Let's see what these doors have been hiding, shall we?" As the trio begins investigating, she leans in closer to Elaine and speaks in a lower voice. "I would stay close, were I you. I cannot protect you if you are here and I am in the next room." She levels a meaningful glance back at the orc. "Dae'reg, heel!"

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering [roll1] if applicable

Dae'reg Perception [roll2]

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-17, 12:40 PM
Elaine turns and smirks at the half-elf. "You may call me Elaine. As for protection, I can handle myself, though I don't usually fight as directly as you and your panther. Before you assume I need to stand behind you, give me several moment to scout ahead for traps - then, once the way is clear of pits and snares you can come..." she says, dryly. Then she shakes her head in exasperation and pulls out a slick black cloak and padded slippers from her pack. After putting them on she veritably disappears into the dim hallway...

Elaine casts light on a small stone, and uses it to provide light as needed. She will cover it and uncover it in such a manner that it functions much like a bulls-eye lantern. She will only use it to provide enough light to see dimply, however, to try and handle stealth in the dark...

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Farmerbink
2016-08-17, 01:00 PM
All the hurts and nicks of rat teeth are brushed aside- only Halthus' was anything other than completely superficial anyway. Standing amidst the collapsed rubble, the broken pieces of the erstwhile obstructions now make for unstable footing at best, where the door previously hung. For the most part, these doors fell into the room, though the same cannot be said all-around.

As Halthus and Elowyn gather at the now-open western hallway, they peer into the pale light. It's impossible to tell what might prompt the decision, but the Orc's apparent curiosity has likewise gotten the best of him. He saunters over with the cocky ease of an experienced combatant. Still, he stands behind the party, following at a moderate distance. The faintly blue illumination fades down the hallway. Elowyn's Elven heritage allows her to plainly see that the hallway extends at least 40 feet westward, perhaps no more.

Carefully moving forward, no sign of any other threats surface. No traps or other obstructions lie between the party and the end of the hall. As Elaine nears the end of the hall, a large stone statue becomes apparent. She sweeps the room with her orison, much like Elowyn's. The statue resembles nothing more than a sarcophagus standing upright, except that the head of the figure carved upon its lid looks distorted and appears to have tendrils instead of hair. A pair of batlike wings extend from its temples.

Without warning, its eyes open, revealing the glow of malevolent green flames. It's mouth distends and a shriek erupts into the room.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=699463128)
End of Surprise round
[roll0] Elaine vs DC 12
[roll1] Elowyn vs DC 12
[roll2] Halthus vs DC 12
[roll3] Dae'reg vs DC 12
Failure means you're paralyzed for [roll4] rounds

*DM cackles malevolently "and so it begins"

[roll5] V init
[roll6] N init
[roll7] H init
[roll8] E init

Edit: Elaine both passed her save, and won initiative. I need only an action from her before the V goes again. Halthus and Dae'reg are paralyzed for the first 5 rounds, or until I tell you otherwise :-P

Richter
2016-08-17, 01:11 PM
Halthus seems to forget about his scratch within a few moments anyway as the idea of exploration takes hold of him and he seems totally confused by the idea that either they wouldn't explore at all, or that someone wouldn't want to see just what items of mystery may be back there.

Still, he takes Elowyn's advice, inviting the Orc along in his own tongue with a nod and suggestion it will help them all keep an eye on each other. He figures that is the most likely way the orc will agree and the others don't know what he's saying after all.

When the statue comes into view, Halthus likely would have been frozen anyway. What an intriguing piece of art! But then the odd eyes open and he loses himself in a gasp, feeling his very body betray him.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-17, 01:37 PM
No Armor (+1 Dex)
Condition None
At the horrific shriek Elaine covers her ears and focuses her mind, blocking out the malevolent creature's influence. With a brief step backwards she draws a dagger and invokes Calistria's blessing. "Savored Sting, trick our enemy!"

5-ft step to J14, draw a dagger, and activate the "Copycat" Trickery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/trickery-domain) Domain power (as Mirror Image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mirror-image) with only one image for one round).

Farmerbink
2016-08-18, 02:59 PM
The shriek reverberates in the stony tomb, casting eerie echoes throughout the chamber. Elaine looks up at the sudden appearance of danger, and quickly mutters a brief blessing. A second image of the priestess seems to step out of Elaine, leaving a pair of her standing before the creature, both prepared for an attack.

The bodiless monstrosity focuses its attention on the nearest apparent threat: Elaine. Diving from the ceiling it strafes the cleric with it's wide, toothy maw. It's flight is on target, and it drags it's wicked looking teeth across... her phantasm! With a subtle breath of dissipating energy, the struck image dissolves into nothingness.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=699463128)
End of round 1

All to act (except the folks who failed the previous save vs paralysis. This is the first round of such)

(Sorry this is likely to be a boring combat- if you have any purely mental abilities, you can use them, but I kind of doubt it)

MuffinMan
2016-08-18, 04:26 PM
Round 2

"Dae'reg!" Elowyn cries in alarm as her companion freezes in place, paralyzed by the unearthly screech. Getting no response, she hops over his still frame before thrusting at the beast with her spear, snarling "You'll pay for that!"

If Elaine indicates she want to flank/bestow a blessing, delay until after her action.

Move to J/16 and attack V from reach:
atk [roll0], cc [roll1] (20/x3)

AoO if applicable:
atk [roll4], cc [roll5] (20/x3)
dmg [roll6], cdmg [roll7]

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
(, )

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-18, 04:29 PM
No Armor (+1 Dex)
Condition None
Elaine steps away from the flying head before stepping back towards the others. "What happened to them?" she asks as she brandishes her dagger towards the enemy and sees the scholar and panther still and unmoving...

Withdraw to H15-I16-J16-K16-L15. From there she will stop, hoping that Elowyn takes point in combat...

Farmerbink
2016-08-18, 06:19 PM
Elowyn dashes forward, incensed by the hideous creature's effects on her feline companion. The batlike wings carry it flitting back and forth across the room, at head-level, making it difficult to nail down. After a few long seconds of dodging the thing's toothy maw, Elowyn thrusts with her spear, connecting solidly through the monster's mouth. With a gurgling whine, the creature falls still and silent.

Dae'reg dashes up behind Elowyn, and paws curiously at the now-still head.
End of combat
Halthus can, of course, act again.

MuffinMan
2016-08-18, 06:41 PM
Elowyn uses her boot to push the lifeless head off of her spear, a look of disgust written across her features. Her expression turns to relief as her feline companion regains his mobility and rejoins her at her side. She reaches down to stroke its head, murmuring,
Good job, Night-Thorn. Stay close.
Turning back to the others, she sees that Halthus is also moving again. "Thank the gods, are you hurt? What was that thing?!" she asks exasperatedly. She turns to Elaine, and her eyes narrow. "And you. I can appreciate your curiosity, but heading off alone into unlit caverns is no place for a... lady... such as yourself. Unless you want to become a meal for the next horror that lives down here - stay behind me!"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-18, 06:41 PM
Elaine looks at the half-elven woman with respect and looks as if she is about to say something when Elowyn begins criticizing her. After enduring it for a moment she says, "You fought well, and I appreciate your concern. However, had that been a trap instead of a creature I would have been fine. Furthermore, I am not without my defenses, which you could not see from the hallway. If you wish to risk your neck against threats you cannot handle, be my guest. Otherwise, allow me to do what I do - scout and handle traps - and do what you do - fight and kill." she says as she returns to the process of exploring the room.

[roll0] to explore the room

Richter
2016-08-18, 06:46 PM
[roll0]

Presuming that is enough to know what it is, but not going to assume any more knowledge about it.

To what is likely no-one's surprise, it seems that Halthus' jaw is the first part to relax and let him say what he's been trying to spit out for a good 30 seconds now. "Vargouille... Vargouille. Is that one? I've... I've never seen one of those before." He shivers and tries to stretch his muscles a bit, looking to loosen up his limbs. "Damn sure something I'd never want to meet one of those again. Quite a bit uglier than those rats, hm?"

He pauses and his eyes go wide as a sudden realization hits him. "We are exploring a crypt! A dungeon even! Brave adventurers we three!" He glances at the panther. "Four." Pausing again he glances over to the Orc "Five." Though that last word is said in Orcish.

Elowyns reprimand about being careful and the risk Elaine had put herself into seems to snap him out of the reverie. "Oh, yes, of course. We should be more cautious I imagine, who knows what dangers may lie ahead." Looking between the two, he gives Elowyn an apologetic look. "I'm afraid you are already too well armored for me to be much assistance, but for you..." He quietly whispers words and touches Elaine's arm, causing a energetic barrier to form around her. "I may be able to help you. I was the nosey one wanting to find what may be back here, it wouldn't due to have you harmed on my behalf."

Casting mage armor on Elaine.

MuffinMan
2016-08-18, 07:08 PM
"You fought well, and I appreciate your concern. However, had that been a trap instead of a creature I would have been fine. Furthermore, I am not without my defenses, which you could not see from the hallway. If you wish to risk your neck against threats you cannot handle, be my guest. Otherwise, allow me to do what I do - scout and handle traps - and do what you do - fight and kill." she says as she returns to the process of exploring the room.

To what is likely no-one's surprise, it seems that Halthus' jaw is the first part to relax and let him say what he's been trying to spit out for a good 30 seconds now. "Vargouille... Vargouille. Is that one? I've... I've never seen one of those before." He shivers and tries to stretch his muscles a bit, looking to loosen up his limbs. "Damn sure something I'd never want to meet one of those again. Quite a bit uglier than those rats, hm?"

Elowyn opens her mouth to offer a biting retort to Elaine, only to be interrupted as Halthus interrupts with his diagnosis of the fallen enemy. She grinds her teeth in irritation as the mage goes on to cast a defensive spell and the priestess begins to move ahead again, offering her little choice but to follow or be left behind. "How is our friend taking all of this?" she asks Horgus in Elven as the two of them being following Elaine, nodding discreetly back at the orc. "He hasn't betrayed us yet, but he hasn't helped out either..." Dae'reg paws along softly behind them, the young panther's eyes glowing unnaturally wide and narrowed in the pale light of the twin orisons.

Reluctantly "scouting" several paces behind Elaine: :smallwink:
Elowyn Perception [roll0]
Elowyn will change Dae'reg's Animal Focus to Bat, granting him Darkvision 60' until further notice.
Dae'reg Perception [roll1]

Farmerbink
2016-08-18, 08:01 PM
Little of interest remains in the musty chamber. Other than the pervasive, stale scent of dust and moist earth, the sarcophagus is the only thing in the room. A quick inspection reveals that the Vargouille long-since broke through from the inside, leaving a small hole in the surface, and nothing but dust inside. Just as Elaine is about to turn away, something glints in the light of her orison.

Peering more carefully into the hole, nothing dangerous makes itself known, so the Priestess reaches inside, and draws out an silver ring, etched along its band with unrecognizable words, perhaps of some foreign language?

The ring gives off a steady aura of faint divination
It is a Translator's Ring. When worn, it grants the wearer understanding and literacy in the Orc and Goblin languages.

The script etched on the ring remains unintelligible.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-18, 08:47 PM
Holding up the ring, Elaine says, "It has an engraving, but I cannot read it. Here..." she flips it casually towards Halthus before walking back towards the entrance and the other two passages. As she passes the orc she looks at him directly, walking past him briefly in the narrow corridor. Once she has passed and guaranteed that he has smelled her perfume she smirks, enjoying the chaos it is likely to sow in his mind.

Once back in the room with the fire she turns to the next doorway and says, "Please give me several yards of space and be quiet. If you wish to discuss things, Mr. Halthus, do so by the fire until I return for you, call for you, or you hear the sound of combat. Miss Elowyn, your panther is welcome to prowl with me, if it will make you feel more comfortable. His eyesight will be useful I am sure." She then turns and skulks down the next passageway.

Scouting - if it will be easier, FarmerBink, please let me know when a good time would be to call to discuss how Elaine does this. In short, she focuses first on being undetected, next on searching for traps and snares, and finally on disabling any traps discovered. She will not report traps until they are handled unless they look particularly deadly, but will report back at the first sign of living creatures.

Stealth [roll0], Perception [roll1], Disable Device (if relevant, including magical traps) [roll2]

Richter
2016-08-19, 10:26 AM
Taking the ring, Halthus will roll it around in hand with some reverence, taking in every detail he can before casting detect magic to study it properly and look for anything he may have missed. He frowns and shakes his head a little bit. "It is definitely magical, but the actual nature of it eludes me. I may need time to study on this one. I have a spell that would unlock its secrets, but it would cost me. Either a scroll or in some versatility. We may..." He gulps a bit, the words hard to get out even if they are wise. "Wish to ensure we are safe here before I give up that."

Taking Elaine's advice, he steps back ways from the next path she is taking, and tries to speak with the Orc in his tongue. He doesn't expect much response, so just chats away, asking who he is and where he is from, undeterred by any silences.

Spellcraft:[roll0]

Diplomacy: Got a solid 1 in the other thread.

MuffinMan
2016-08-19, 04:19 PM
"Dae'reg will remain with me", Elowyn replies coolly to Elaine's offer. "He's unused to so many strangers and I need to be nearby to calm him." As Elaine makes her was back into the darkness Elowyn takes up an uneasy patrol at the doorway, torn between wanting to follow the uppity priestess and needing to keep an eye on the absentminded scholar and the orc. The minutes pass for her in tense silence as she awaits Elaine's return...

Farmerbink
2016-08-22, 02:50 PM
At Halthus' brief inclusion of the Orc, the green-hued man bares his tusks and growls. His eyes follow Elaine, but he backs away to give more than sufficient clearance to maintain some level of comfort. The dull roar of thunder is almost consistent enough to be ignored, but an unnoticed lapse in the noise is shattered with yet another tumultuous blast.

Elaine prowls towards the next nearest hallway- the one leading most directly into the tor. She cautiously moves forward, making frugal use of her magical illumination. After an extended trek, the hallway opens into another room. It's too dark to make anything out without giving away her own position, but the steady pattering of falling water seems to emanate from both in front and behind.

The priestess backs away from the room, and using the dim, flickering firelight, navigates back down the more than hundred foot long path.

DarkOne and I spoke over the phone. I'll let him give Elaine's report speech text.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-22, 07:21 PM
"The way either leads back outside or to an underground waterfall. Given that we are in something of a mountain, that suggests a spring or some opening above through which the storm is falling. If you all wish to check it out with me, come along - there were no traps or pits along the way," Elaine announces as she returns, looking lazily about the gathered travelers before gesturing towards the middle path with an "after you" motion.

MuffinMan
2016-08-23, 06:13 AM
Elowyn nods, refreshing the Light orison upon the tip of her spear. "Where there is water there will be life, and I have no intention of sleeping until we know what sort it is and whether it means us harm. Dae'reg, heel! The rest of you, stay close." She leaves her pack at the campsite, preparing to lead the way down the tunnel Elaine has indicated.

Elowyn [roll0]
Dae'reg [roll1]

Richter
2016-08-23, 01:35 PM
The orc's demeanor doesn't leave much room for interpretation and Halthus breathes a sigh of relief when Elaine returns. He gives a small salute to the orc before moving over to join the others. "Very good then, lets be off and see just what may be there. We clearly aren't the first to take shelter or make a home within this structure. It could be fascinating what else we might find!"

Still, he has learned and stays several steps behind the other as he doesn't have the benefits of even the mage armor he granted Elaine. His staff is in his hands and at the ready as he moves down the hall, trying to stay alert though sometimes he is more alerted to the various elements of the cave than what he should be.

Perception [roll0] (Its 2 higher if its non-visual)

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-23, 04:38 PM
Elaine follows with a bored look on her face, openly carrying the lit stone and using it to look around more openly now that she is not alone.

Farmerbink
2016-08-23, 06:13 PM
The stone hallway stretches out for several dozen paces- easily 100 feet long or more. When it finally opens into another room it reveals a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. A steady stream of water falls into the middle of the room, through an open shaft that must reach all the way to the top of the tor. From the bottom of the shaft, a long piece of rope dangles, swinging slightly in the saturated room. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, though it's anyone's guess as to where, and old dark stains suggest it was once used for other fluids, long long ago.

Unfortunately, you have little opportunity to appreciate and inspect the chamber. At a sudden, barked call, a pair of javelins fly out of the darkness. Without the time to be aware, one strikes Elowyn's leg (Elowyn takes 7 damage). Two burly humanoids step into the dim light at the edges of the magical stone's illumination. With a guttural roar, they draw a pair of wicked longswords and charge.

Nobody saw that coming- Still, you guys topped init (check OOC if you don't believe me) so you're up!
Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=427757626)

MuffinMan
2016-08-23, 07:24 PM
Round 1

Elowyn cries out as the javelin pierces deeply through a crease in her hide armor, but then her eyes narrow in fury as she chants quickly in Elven, casting a spell to empower her strikes. "Dae'reg, with me!" she commands as she steps forward with her spear leveled, putting the grate between her and the assailants.

Cast Lead Blades (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedPlayersGuide/spells/leadBlades.html#lead-blades-) and then move to T/15.

Command Dae'reg to move to U/15 and tp ready an attack if an enemy approaches. Handle Animal [roll0] vs DC 10.

Dae'reg's readied attack (bite):
atk [roll1], cc [roll2] (20/x2)
dmg [roll3], cdmg [roll4]
trip [roll5]

Elowyn's AoO, if applicable:
atk [roll6], cc [roll7] (20/x3)
dmg [roll8], cdmg [roll9]
(Lead Blades increases 1d8 -> 2d6)

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
HP 4 / 11 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +2 BAB 0
(, )

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-23, 08:31 PM
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Mage Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Condition None
"I meant to say there were no mechanical traps..." says Elaine, before noticing the wound in Elowyn's side. "Oh! Let me help with that..." As the other woman runs forward she shrugs and begins casting a spell to conjure mists in the room. "Fight them from the edge of the fog! I will do some healing from here!"

Cast Obscuring Mist (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/obscuringMist.html#obscuring-mist), centered at the intersection of T20 and U21.

Richter
2016-08-23, 08:55 PM
Halthus isn't so cautious(not nearly as cautious as he should be) and when he sees Elowyn take a javelin that would have pinned him to the ground he dashes forward to help her through the suddenly appearing fog, launching his staff towards one of the foes to try and at least aid in distracting the new foes until the more skilled fighters can do something about it. He speaks quickly to Elowyn in Elvish, hoping the enemies can't follow the tactics and making a mental note to see if there are any other languages they share once there is time.

"If we can get them close together I might be able to end this."

Moving up to U17 - I think that is the edge of the fog. If I'm wrong I can take one step further forward with my movement.

Using hand of the apprentice to attack B2.

Farmerbink
2016-08-25, 07:58 AM
The assertive trio responds quickly- rapidly preparing a series of defensive precautions. Elaine's divine intuition raises an obstructive cloud that billows up from the very stones themselves. Before the Hobgoblins can respond, the party is thoroughly shrouded in mists.

Elowyn supplements the weight of her blade, but the magic makes it seem the same to her. She prowls to the edge of the fog, just close enough to clearly see beyond it. A coarse shout keeps Dae'reg at her heels, patiently waiting for the foes to approach. Halthus' staff once more darts towards the aggressors, but this time the burly humanoid easily deflects the unusual projectile.

As the Hobgoblins approach Elowyn, Dae'reg lashes out with lightning speed. His claws rake the Hobgoblin underneath his shield arm, even as it lashes out with it's blade, scoring a wicked blow on the young panther (Dae'reg takes 10 damage). Elowyn easily avoids the clumsy swing of the other opponent, drawing what must be a guttural curse from the lout.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=427757626)

MuffinMan
2016-08-25, 09:09 AM
Round 2

In the close quarters, Elowyn abandons her spear in favor of the long blade at her back. She strikes at the nearest hobgoblin through the mist, while at her side Dae'reg brings fang and claw to bear against the other aggressor. Both master and beast bleed from their wounds.

Elowyn drops the spear, draws the curve blade, and attacks B1:
atk [roll0], cc [roll1] (18-20/x2)

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
(, )

Dae'reg full-attacks whichever hobgoblin hit him:
claw 1 atk [roll4], claw 1 cc [roll5] (20/x2)
claw 1 dmg [roll6], claw 1 cdmg [roll7]

claw 2 atk [roll8], claw 2 cc [roll9] (20/x2)
claw 2 dmg [roll10], claw 2 cdmg [roll11]

bite atk [roll12], bite cc [roll13] (20/x2)
bite dmg [roll14], bite cdmg [roll15]
trip [roll16]

(Handle Animal (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/skills/handleAnimal.html#handle-animal) [roll17] vs DC 12, if necessary)
HP 8 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-08-25, 10:17 AM
Just using this to roll for my spell-

Concentration: [roll0]

Richter
2016-08-25, 10:25 AM
I totally realize I just rolled in the wrong thread but I don't want to try and edit the above post and mess up the dice roller. My apologies.

Male Neutral Good Elf Wizard(Universalist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 7/7, Speed 30 ft.
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None
Celestial
Elven
Common
Goblin
Draconic
Orc
Dwarven
Sylvan
Detect Magic
Mage Hand
Read Magic
Ray of Enfeeblement(DC 16)

Seeing his compatriots suffer even more wounds, Halthus knows it isn't time to hold back. He skirts around the hobgoblin, trying to stay out of its blade range for as long as possible before closing in and quietly murmering magical words and bringing his hands up, thumbs joined in a W to cause a burst of bright light and flashing colors to spray from his fingers over the pair of hobgoblins.

Moving to S15 (Taking the extra diagonal step away to avoid an AoO getting there). Using color spray to hit both gobs(its a 15ft cone, using the line down them, with the rest going over the pit to avoid my allies). I rolled concentration in the OOC thread to make sure I didn't fumble it.

DC 17 Will(negates) Spell Resist: Yes

A vivid cone of clashing colors springs forth from your hand, causing creatures to become stunned, perhaps also blinded, and possibly knocking them unconscious. Each creature within the cone is affected according to its HD.

2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-25, 08:50 PM
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None
From her hiding place in the fog Elaine hears the cries of pain and begins to pray. "Lady Calistria, heal them that they may invoke retribution on our foes!"

Channel Positive Energy to heal anyone in need for [roll0] HPs.

Farmerbink
2016-08-26, 03:49 PM
Elowyn rather disastrously (to the Hobgoblin) demonstrates her skill at arms. With the spear, she drives her assailant off balance, and before the feral humanoid can recover, she has exchanged weapons for the long, curved blade. With a single devastating swipe, she draws blood from hip to shoulder. Unseeing, the Hobgoblin falls.

Halthus steps forward, even as Elaine invokes the presence of Calistra. A blinding explosion of light erupts from his fingertips, catching the other Hobgoblin fully in the cascade. His eyes cross, and he collapses into a heap of flesh and weaponry.

In a sudden, brilliant display, the fight comes to an end.

The long stone hall ends in a stone chamber
furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on
which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls
into the middle of the room from a shaft in the
ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the
tor. From the bottom of the shaft dangles a rope,
swinging slightly. A drain in the center of the
floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark
stains suggest that it was used to carry away other
fluids long ago.

2x Studded leather armor, light wooden shield, short swords, and javelins. Also, one thick leather belt- immediately distinguishable as magic.
This questionably useful device is a lifting belt. It confers a semipermanent +1 bonus to strength for the purposes of carrying capacity, and moving/breaking unattended objects.

It doesn't stack with any other bonus to strength.

Richter
2016-08-26, 04:47 PM
Halthus blinks as the colors fade from his eyes and he sees the last remaining hobgoblin wobbling. He immediately turns to Elowyn, having seen how badly the javelin affected her before the fog washed over them. "Are you okay? That was brutal..." He pauses, realizing they aren't quite finished yet as he glances to the hobgoblin standing in a daze. "What... What do we do with him?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-26, 10:39 PM
Elaine looks at the Elven scholar incredulously. "We kill him - he would do the same to us without hesitation, as demonstrated by their ambush," she replies as she takes a dagger from an unseen sheath and casually slits the enemy's neck from ear to ear. She then cleans the blade and returns it to the folds of her black silken covering. "Now, that's done. You mentioned wanting to look around and study. What do your senses and insights suggest of this place, Halthus?"

Richter
2016-08-27, 11:20 PM
Halthus blinks in shock as the hobgoblin is killed. Certainly its beastly, but it could have been taken prisoner! They are intelligent creatures after all, at least to some extent. Still, he reminds himself of the wound his friends suffered and shakes off the shock, starting to move and look around the room, scanning as best he can with his eyes but more likely through detect magic, muttering quietly to myself. "I must admit that my elven senses aren't the greatest. You don't exactly sharpen your eyes when you are staring at tiny script day in and out..."

Spotting the glow from the strange object, he picks it up and examines it more closely. "This... Is a bit odd. It can help one carry greater loads and perform other tasks of labor. Do you think they had some sort of mining operation down here where such things would have been required?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-08-29, 08:35 PM
Elaine shrugs and turns to the far side of the room where a tunnel can be seen exiting the room. Turning to the others she places her index finger to her lips and skulks off, scouting for pits and snares again...

Taking 10 for 17 in Stealth (using the lit rock as before) and 19 in Perception to scout. If she finds a trap, she will try to disable it: [roll0]

Farmerbink
2016-08-30, 07:04 PM
Elaine somewhat unceremoniously abandons Halthus to Elowyn's conversation and company as her curiosity draws her attention elsewhere. She strides into the next hallway, around the wet portion of the floor, and finds the hallway itself to be somewhat noteworthy: instead of the plain, chiseled stone, the walls are lined with carefully hieroglyphs, depicting a scene of warfare. Small, humanoid figures clash eternally with a less numerous band of figures half again their size, or more. If the images are any indication, the encounter ended poorly for the smaller folk.

Undeterred, Elaine presses on. About 50 feet north of the last room, another narrow hallway juts off to the right. She can make out the beginning of another chamber, perhaps 15' past the intersection.

I'm not sure it's worth continuing until MM gets back from his vacay. You're welcome to press on, but when something more substantial than hallways becomes apparent, I'll want to have his input (That's 2 evenings from now, I think?).

Richter
2016-09-01, 10:41 AM
By the time Elaine has returned, Halthus already has performed several experiments with lifting his books, both with the belt on and off to judge the difference it makes. He also spent some effort in trying to convince the panther(in elven of course) that it would be worth testing whether the belt can affect animals as well, but the look in its eyes whenever he approaches it leads him to believe its a terribly unscientific creature.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-01, 04:34 PM
Once again Elaine returns and describes the next leg of corridors, stressing that she found no pits or snares, but is unsure of potential enemies. "I can heal more if anyone needs it before we continue, but don't want it on my conscience if you walk into another ambush..."

MuffinMan
2016-09-01, 09:58 PM
Elowyn looks up from her strike just in time to see Halthus dispatch the remaining hobgoblin with a brilliant burst of arcane energies. She looks on in approval as it slumps to the ground, holding Dae'reg back with a sharp command in Elven. Her lips tighten at Elaine's suggestion of what to do with the fallen foe, but she nods and looks on grimly as the deed is done. "Indeed, they would have done the same to us. It was well struck, Halthus. And I thank you for your assistance as well." She inclines her head stiffly towards the priestess, the competence of the pair rising slightly higher in her mind.

While Elaine scouts ahead, Elowyn busies herself with inspecting the hobgoblin's equipment and taking the weapons that fit her best. Two javelins find their way to straps on her back, and she also claims the smaller sword and shield used by the hobgoblins. She looks on in amusement as Halthus tries to convince Dae'reg of the virtues of the belt, letting the panther's evasiveness and general disinterest communicate for themselves.

Elowyn will claim 2 javelins, a shortsword, a shield, and the belt to help carry all of it (unless anyone else needs it).

Once again Elaine returns and describes the next leg of corridors, stressing that she found no pits or snares, but is unsure of potential enemies. "I can heal more if anyone needs it before we continue, but don't want it on my conscience if you walk into another ambush..."

"I am fine to continue." Elowyn acknowledges, retrieving her spear and preparing to set out again. "I cannot imagine these two were here alone. That speaks to more of them ahead, and to another entrance to this tor... Let us continue, but be on the lookout for enemies ahead..." She continues in a lower voice, in Elven, with a meaningful look back at the orc following them, "and behind."

(Proceeding with spear readied and Light cast upon it, as usual)
Elowyn Perception [roll0]
Dae'reg Perception [roll1] + scent (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/glossary.html#scent)

Richter
2016-09-02, 10:37 AM
Before moving forward, Halthus stops Elowyn. "You seem keep to put yourself between ourselves and danger in this place. Here, keep yourself safe. This should help if you come into any other harm on our behalf." He offers one of his cure light wounds potions.

Advancing down the tunnel, Halthus will hang back about 10 feet from the others. He doesn't have the keen eyes and certainly not the stealth skills they do, so he doesn't want to be the reason they get noticed, but will be close enough to assist with anything that may come up. The hieroglyphic room is almost more than he can imagine, but he swallows it down and tries to keep focused as they move through it, whispering "Once we know this place is safe, I very much wish to spend some time here."

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-02, 08:21 PM
Elaine nods at both the warning given by Elowyn and the request by Halthus, but does not speak. Instead she smiles and prowls closely behind the elf and her panther, not wishing to be in the front but content to let the scholar watch their rear.

Farmerbink
2016-09-03, 10:20 PM
The party presses on, now led by the intrepid Elowyn and her brilliantly-glowing spear. They note, and pass, the narrow hallway leading to the right- in the brighter light, it becomes evident that the room was meant to be sealed. A small pile of fractured masonry lies about the entrance. Who knows how long it's been open, now.

In the room beyond, a long stone table dominates the chamber. Bright bits of gold wink up from the dust that covers the floor. Upon the table lies a well-preserved corpse, apparently once a tall humanoid wearing the tabard and belt of a knight. Without warning, the figure sits up, lifting an old rusty morningstar in one hand, and a javelin in the other. It climbs off the table, its mouth opening to loose an eerie moan.

Baddy= [roll0]
Elowyn: [roll1]
Elaine: [roll2]
Halthus: [roll3]

Edit: I need a post from Halthus and Elowyn only for round 1. Round 2 will start with the baddy's init.

Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=28449180)

MuffinMan
2016-09-04, 06:06 AM
Round 1

"By the gods..." Elowyn mouths in astonishment as the musty corpse stirs. Its aggressive movements quickly stir her from observation, however. "Dae'reg, flank!" she cries as she begins moving to the left. Once her companion has begun to harry the foe with a swipe of his paws, she lunges forward with her spear at the creature!

Dae'reg moves to U/13 and attacks Z (claw). Handle Animal [roll0] vs DC 12.
atk [roll1], cc [roll2] (20/x2)
dmg [roll3] slashing, cdmg [roll4]

Dae'reg AoO (bite):
atk [roll5] (+2 flank), cc [roll6] (20/x2)
dmg [roll7] piercing, cdmg [roll8]
trip [roll9]

Elowyn moves to R/13 and attacks Z (spear), flanking with Dae'reg:
atk [roll10] (+2 flank), cc [roll11] (20/x3)
dmg [roll12] piercing, cdmg [roll13]

Elowyn AoO:
atk [roll14] (+2 flank, +2 AoO), cc [roll15] (20/x3)
dmg [roll16] piercing, cdmg [roll17]

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
HP 10 / 11 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

HP 14 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-09-06, 11:29 AM
Halthus' eyes pass around the room, taking in the details and washing over the mummy. His thoughts drift to the fact that it looks so like a museum piece until it suddenly lurches into motion.

He surprises himself with how quickly he responds this time, perhaps because of the fact that it was something familiar to him that was being twisted. Or, perhaps he is just getting good at this. Unlikely. With haste, his hand flies up, letting his weapon fling forward towards the creature.

Knowledge Religion: [roll0]

I'm close enough to strike it with hand of the apprentice, assuming my roll above is enough to identify what we are facing, I'm either going to hit it with my staff(if a skeleton or similar) or use a move to draw my dagger and then launch that if a zombie(or the like). If I fail to identify it, I'll default to my staff.

Attack [roll1]
Staff Damage [roll2]
Dagger Damage [roll3]

Farmerbink
2016-09-07, 02:04 PM
Halthus immediately recognizes the creature as a large (not mechanically) zombie. As it lurches to its feet, he exchanges his staff for a dagger, and sends the blade flying into the dimly lit room. Elowyn and Dae'reg follow the blade via more roundabout routes, and quickly close on the monster. Despite their positioning, the creature's armor and unnaturally thick skin deflect all the incoming attacks except for Elowyn's spear.

To her dismay, the weapon seems to have a less pronounced effect than she's become accustomed to seeing. With a gurgling groan, it turns to the cat- the nearest opponent. With a surprisingly quick motion, the rusty morningstar comes across it's body. Dae'reg leaps aside, just too late too fully avoid the spiked mace, and a thin stream of blood follows the weapon as it smashes to pieces on the side of the stone pedestal. Dae'reg is lucky the blow was only glancing.

Dae'reg takes a hit for 4 damage. The zombie got hit by Elowyn's spear, and the damage was reduced for not being slashing. Halthus is free to describe the relevant effects, so it's appropriate to deliberately change weapons. :-P
Map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vo5KIuDcvz6nLXrNfU-8GY3I-R8dzsxgscs5KzNM9jI/edit#gid=28449180)

Richter
2016-09-07, 02:16 PM
Halthus frowns, seeing the creature he was becoming rather fond of take a blow like that. When the creature doesn't seem very phased by the spear he calls out "They don't have functional organs like most! Nothing to stab through. You need to cut them apart if you can!"

I'll get a more full post up tonight for his next round of actions.

MuffinMan
2016-09-07, 06:46 PM
Round 2

"Understood! Dae'reg, kill!" Elowyn snarls in response to Halthus' advice. Dropping her spear, she loosens her long blade from its sheathe at her back before stepping forward with a vicious chop at the animated corpse. Across from her, Dae'reg hisses in pain and anger at the opponent, seemingly oblivious to its master's urge to continue attacking.

Elowyn drops the spear, draws the curve blade while stepping to S/13, and attacks:
atk [roll0] (+2 flank), cc [roll1] (18-20/x2)
dmg [roll2] slashing, cdmg [roll3]

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

Dae'reg stays put and full-attacks. Handle Animal (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/skills/handleAnimal.html#handle-animal) [roll4] vs DC 12.
(Uh-oh, the handle attempt failed! :smallfrown: Not sure if Dae'reg would use fewer attacks, run, or do nothing - DM call!)
claw 1 atk [roll5] (+2 flank), claw 1 cc [roll6] (20/x2)
claw 1 dmg [roll7] slashing, claw 1 cdmg [roll8]

claw 2 atk [roll9] (+2 flank), claw 2 cc [roll10] (20/x2)
claw 2 dmg [roll11] slashing, claw 2 cdmg [roll12]

bite atk [roll13] (+2 flank), bite cc [roll14] (20/x2)
bite dmg [roll15] piercing, bite cdmg [roll16]
trip [roll17]

HP 10 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-09-08, 11:09 AM
With his warning given, Halthus catches his dagger and again launches it forward. He is starting to realize the amount of danger that seems to lurk in these caves and doesn't want to burn through all of his options on a single foe, but he also can start to feel his reserves of this trick getting drained.

Attack 1d20+5
Damage [roll0]
Crit 1d20+5
C Damage [roll1]

3 more Hand of the Apprentice in the tank if we need it. Then I'm down to spells or my little wizard arms.

Farmerbink
2016-09-08, 07:30 PM
In the frenzied fray, it seems Dae'reg misunderstood Elowyn's instruction, but the feline companion appears to behave amicably regardless. Anticlimactically, the feline is also the only figure that delivers an effective strike. Both claws rake the zombie's upper legs, and Dae'reg easily avoids a slow, crushing fist.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-08, 10:36 PM
Condition Mage Armor
Without speaking, Elaine creeps around to help flank the zombie, relying on her ally's conjured armor to protect her as she slashes at the undead's side with a dagger.

Move as necessary to avoid AoOs and set up a flank, then attack with a dagger.

Dagger [roll0] attack (includes flanking bonus), [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

MuffinMan
2016-09-09, 06:39 AM
Round 3

"Good, Dae'reg! Again!" Sweat begins to bead at Elowyn's forehead as she continues slashing at the zombie, trying to bring it down for good.

Elowyn stays put in S/13 and attacks:

Dae'reg stays in U/13 and full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 12.

claw 2 dmg [roll11] slashing , claw 2 cdmg [roll12]

trip [roll17]

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-09-11, 12:41 PM
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None

As the others close in, Halthus realizes he no longer has a clear shot with his dagger. He swallows hard and rushes forward, trying to stay away from the melee as he squeezes on his ring. Sliding in behind Dae-reg he reaches out and lightly brushes the cat's flank, forming a barrier around it to help ward away any further blows.

As he casts, he speaks in Elven to the cat. "I don't have much that can do more than surface harm to a creature like this, but we will make sure you do not fall my friend."

Moving up to V14 and using my Arcane Bond to cast Mage Armor on Dae'Reg. I have most of my offensive spells on scrolls if we end up absolutely needing something, and that seems like the best way I can help the party. Plus he'll have the buff for an hour this way. Wow did I just realize how many of my spells either were mind effecting or give fort saves. And even using my intelligence mod, there is no way I'm hitting with a dagger while he is in melee.

Farmerbink
2016-09-13, 08:11 AM
Dae'reg continues to be the most effective combatant in the party. As his claws rend and tear thin strips of desiccated flesh from the zombie's hide, Elaine ineffectively assaults the creature. Halthus's aid is well-timed, as a sudden double-fisted smash crashes down into his flank. What no-doubt would have been a killing blow seems deflected somehow, at the last moment. Dae'reg whimpers in agony nonetheless, but remains on his paws.

A sudden bellow shatters the oddly-familiar shuffling of combat. Elaine looks over her shoulder just in time to see the Orc from before come charging into the room. She steps to the side, more out of reflex than any deliberate effort, and raises an arm, a pitiful attempt to shield herself from the hatred in his eyes...

The heavy axe, held one-handed, crashes into the zombie's chest, tearing a huge chunk of lifeless mess from the abomination.

MuffinMan
2016-09-13, 09:06 AM
Round 4

Elowyn is startled by the orc's bestial roar, and half-shifts her stance to address a new foe before seeing his axe whisk past Elaine and into the zombie. She locks eyes with him for half a hearbeat, and an unspoken agreement passes between the two warriors. Then with a yell of her own she redoubles her assault. "Good, Dae'reg! Finish it!"

Elowyn stays put and attacks:

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

Dae'reg full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 12.

trip [roll17]

AC 22 Fort 4 Ref 9 Will 1
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-13, 09:47 AM
Condition Mage Armor
Elaine steps around, away from the zombie, and touches the panther, channeling healing magic as she does.

Elaine will 5-ft step away from the zombie, then cast Cure Light Wounds (using the slot for Sanctuary) to heal the animal for [roll0] HPs.

Richter
2016-09-14, 02:59 PM
Smiling as he sees both his ward protect the panther and Orc come to their aid, he nods to the orc and speaks in his native tongue. "Thank you my friend, we certainly could use your strong blade."

Taking a small step back, he knows he has little left to truly offer but flings out his dagger once more with a quick flick of his wrist, hoping to hit his target by luck more than skill.

Taking a 5ft step to V14 and using another Hand of the Apprentice.

Attack [roll0] (Already -4 for opponent in melee)
If Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
C-Damage [roll3]

Farmerbink
2016-09-14, 09:35 PM
The Orc grunts a noncommittal response to Elowyn's look and Halthus' words. His axe speaks for him, as another blow crushes through the undead monstrosity's dilapidated armor. Elowyn's blade matches Dae'reg's claws in kind, and the pair score a trio of hits, continuing to chip away at the mass of flesh. Elaine considers Dae'reg's wounded hide only briefly before moving away to soothe the panther's injury.

Whatever foul magic proves its support is too strong, and it continues its assault unabated. Again, Halthus' magic proves its value as a meaty fist glances off some unseen force instead of crushing Dae'reg's shoulder.

MuffinMan
2016-09-15, 07:19 AM
Round 5

"By the gods, this thing is strong! Die already!" Elowyn pauses long enough to comment on the undead's impressive vitality before returning to the task of cleaving it apart.

Elowyn attacks:
Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

Dae'reg full-attacks: Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 12

bite atk [roll13], bite cc [roll14] (20/x2)
trip [roll17]
HP 17 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-09-15, 10:25 AM
Swearing softly under his breath, an act rather unlike him, Halthus steps in closer to the creature, trying to take a few carefully timed swipes with his dagger just as the Orc swings, hoping to help open things up.

I don't want to be completely spent, just in case we need to deal with something else today and my HoA attacks are pretty worthless when he's got a decent AC and in a cluster like this. Going to 5ft step up so I'm in melee too(I don't like this idea) and Aid Another the Orc's next attack.

Aid Another [roll0]

Farmerbink
2016-09-16, 10:30 AM
As displeased as the undead is with your persistent presence, it's even more upset at the orc's apparent desire and ability to cleave it into pieces. It turns its fury towards the warrior, and smashes its closed fist into the brute's upheld shield. A deep crack appears in the surface of the shield as the Orc tries and fails to continue its devastating assault. Meanwhile, Dae'reg continues to thinly filet the undead. Halthus tries to aid the Orc, but proves ineffective as a threatening combatant.

Perhaps most ironically is Elaine's effort. Throwing caution to the wind, she dives under the Orc's blow, and neatly severs a thick portion of the abomination's leg muscles.

MuffinMan
2016-09-17, 08:14 AM
Round 6

Elowyn continues to hack at the undead with her blade, exorting Dae'reg to continue his own assault.

Elowyn attacks:
atk [roll0] (+2 flank), [roll1] (18-20/x2)

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +4 (1d6 + 2, x2)
(, )

Dae'reg full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll4] VS DC 12

claw 2 atk [roll9], claw 2 cc [roll10] (20/x2)

trip [roll17]

CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Richter
2016-09-17, 09:19 AM
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None

Far outside of his comfort zone, Halthus slices out again, knowing his own cuts would not do much but he might be able to bring down its guard a small bit.

Aid Another(Orc)[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-17, 09:35 AM
Condition Mage Armor
Elaine slashes at the zombie again, taking the opportunity to attack from behind while she can...

5-ft step to flank, if possible (die rolls do not include flanking bonuses)
Attack with Dagger [roll0], [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

Farmerbink
2016-09-18, 02:35 PM
Inspired, perhaps, from the sudden frenzy of activity, Dae'reg finally gets his teeth involved in the fray. He manages to tear a chunk, despite the general inefficacy of incisors at rending, and the zombie begins to respond more sluggishly (It's bloodied, mechanically).

The zombie, despite Halthus' distraction, turns and clobbers the Orc. With a sickening squish, a meaty hand caves the warriors head in. With a distinct vacancy where a significant portion of its head used to be, the figure collapses in a heap.

Elaine makes a mad dash around the figure, and climbs atop the stony casket. From her heightened position, it's easier to attack, and she manages to score a solid blow against the zombie. It is Elowyn, however, who delivers the killing blow. Taking advantage of the sudden display of violence and the distraction it serves, she cleaves through what remains of the creatures torso. In a pair of pieces, the magic supporting its movement suddenly abates, and the room falls silent.

MuffinMan
2016-09-19, 06:10 AM
With cry, Elowyn delivers a kick to send the severed halves of the zombie skidding across the floor. She stands over them breathing heavily, blade leveled, for several seconds before deciding that they pose no further threat. Then the adrenaline fueling her battle rush suddenly subsides, and her shoulders slump noticeably. Turning back to the fallen orc, she numbly bends to feel for a pulse, but something in her knows what the result will be before her fingers touch the lifeless skin. "He fought well..." she says softly, rising. "...and he fell in battle, as he no doubt would have wanted. If you have any last rites, priestess, say them now." Then she busies herself with the task of resetting her equipment and checking the wounds on Dae'reg's flank, which are already nearly healed over by the acceleration of divine magic. She uncomfortably avoids looking at the fallen figure for the next few minutes.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-19, 09:28 AM
Elaine nods and kneels down beside the orc, her face bereft of emotions as she first checks for signs of life. When he shows none, she prays, saying, "Bless this brave orc's soul, Calistria, oh Savored Sting, as you blessed our vengeful strikes against his slayer. Vouch for him before the throne of Pharasma and may he be escorted to the blessed halls of all great warriors."

She then turns and looks at her companions' wounds. "Shall I call down Calistria's blessings on all of us too? Who still has wounds in need of mending? And how much longer before we fortify ourselves somewhere and rest - we cannot keep doing this all night..."

Richter
2016-09-19, 12:29 PM
Halthus looks down between the bodies in shock. The vargouille was one thing, it had been a man at one time certainly, but it was far enough away from that to strip away some of the horror of its death. This is something that even his more combative training hasn't prepared him for. Turning he dashes across the room, getting sick in the corner.

He looks back slightly sheepishly, wiping his lips. "I'm sorry for that, I'm not used to... Such violence. Is he...?" He trails off, knowing the answer to that, and tries to get ahold of himself. "You all did very well. I wish my own aid had been better able to prevent such tragedy..." Stopping at those thoughts, he focuses his thoughts and brings his mind to the gathering of information, something that is always a good distraction for him. Quietly whispering the words of a spell to help him see the trails of magic in the air.

Casting detect magic, going to be moving around the room to look and see what may be there. I would say magical or otherwise, but lets be honest about my odds of otherwise.

Perception [roll0] (Its +2 if using a non-sight sense)

Edit:

Halthus looks up to with a frown Elaine as she asks the question. "I admit that I have little left in my reserves. I can drain the strength from a foe, which is useful enough, but only if they live. I have quite a selection of powers penned to scrolls that I can use to support us, but that rapidly becomes a costly endeavor. Resting would be best for my power, but I don't know how secure we would be without knowing more of what lurks in this place. So far, it doesn't appear to have come for us, so we might be secure in the mouth of the cave, but that may be a gamble. You are both more experienced in such matters than I, and I defer to your judgement."

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-19, 12:56 PM
Elaine laughs darkly. "Experience? You give me too much credit - I am a priestess of Calistria, no more, no less. If you consider my time in the temple as 'experience,' well you would be right in some ways, but not in terms of exploring haunted underground tunnels. I have seen plenty of death on the streets of my home, but never dealt it, either.

No, I don't know if we will be safe at the entrance, but I know that pushing too far is an excellent way to join the orc warrior here in death. We might be alright to continue a little further, but we should be looking for a safe place to camp, and we did leave a fire back at the entrance..."

MuffinMan
2016-09-19, 08:54 PM
Elowyn finishes adjusting the straps on her gear and nods to herself, whistling for Dae'reg to rejoin her. "Dae'reg and I retain only minor injuries, thanks to your aid earlier. We are able to continue for a while longer, yet." She recasts the Light orison upon her spear and holds it up as she begins inspecting the rest of the chamber. "We'll return to camp at the entrance, as you suggest. But as yet those hobgoblins worry me more than even this- thing." She sniffs at the severed corpse. "It was powerful, but mindless. They are intelligent, organized, and are of as-yet-unknown numbers. An ambush by them could be disastrous." Once she has finished examining the room, and dragging a spare blanket over the still form of the orc, she turns to lead the way into the next unexplored corridor. "Come, stay close."

Elowyn and Dae'reg are at 10/11 and 17/18 HP respectively, so they're good to continue through another encounter.

Elowyn will take 20 to examine this room for Perception 28.

Then she'll lead the way down the next corridor (unless Elaine objects), using Perception [roll0]

Farmerbink
2016-09-20, 09:19 AM
Nothing magical makes itself known to Halthus' sight, but the faint glimmer of gold reflects up from the floor in several places. Masked by countless years of dust and dirt, now disturbed by the scattered footprints of combat, the floor seems almost paved with gold. Literally scattered about, most lying flat against the stone, lies hundreds of gold pieces- forgotten from antiquity. Likewise, in a crook of the now-empty sarcophagus, a pair of well-made weapons lie apparently protected from the wear of the years. One whip and one dagger, both of masterwork quality, await new owners.

I assume you take the time to collect the gold pieces- there are 257 of them.

Elowyn takes the fore once more, and presses on into one of the last remaining (known) hallways. The light from her spearpoint glitters mischievously in the narrow passage, revealing a small open door a few dozen feet away.

At the end of the hallway is a small chamber, who's wooden door lies on the floor. The smell of dust pervades the air, and the constant sound of thunder is slightly muted. Numerous body-shaped lumps are visible through the doorway, each carefully wrapped in layers of grey thread like woven mummies. Unfortunately, Elowyn fails to notice the thin film stretching across the doorway and stumbles into a sticky mess of webbing. Before she has the opportunity to react, the web's owner appears scuttling down the wall beside her.

The spider's mandibles plunge deeply into Elowyn's trapped arm, and the hunter immediately notices a distressing chill begin to spread out from the injury.

Elowyn is grappled in place by the webbing- a DC 16 strength check or escape artist will remove the limitation on her movement. Unfortunately, she also just got bit by a poisonous spider, and took 6 damage, and 4 strength damage as a result.

I need a response from Halthus and Elowyn only, before the spider acts again.

Richter
2016-09-20, 10:30 AM
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None

Halthus will help gather the gold, examining the stamps on the coins to try and make out just how old they might be. The weapons are another clue to this place and he looks them over, as well as the sarcophagi, learning what he can about them in a matter of seconds(Seconds! He would have spent weeks with each of these items back home!). He suspects he would be more of a danger to himself than anything else with the whip, and he already has two daggers that are fanciful in their own right, so unless there is a pressing reason his already secondary weapon should be improved he will let that pass by.

When the spider comes down, its a clear shock. But, it seems he is getting used to shocks and starts now. Immediately seeing the threat here, he raises his hand, whispering the words of a spell and letting a ray fly from his fingers towards the creature. At the same time, he draws out a scroll, speaking words of encouragement from it to try and help Elowyn from her current situation.

Alright- Standard action, I'm firing off ray of enfeeblement. My last prepped spell. Hopefully that will make him less likely to hit, and hit a bit weaker if he does(though I don't think I can do anything about the poison, and I'm just hoping he doesn't finess. Either way, at least less damage).

Move action I'm pulling out my combat scroll.

Immediate action, casting liberating command off the scroll on Elowyn. That will give her an immediate attempt to break the grapple using escape artist(and gives a +2 bonus on it).

Hopefully I can weaken it a little bit and make sure you aren't grappled that first round so we can bring this thing down before we get too badly poisoned.

My sheet is updated with spell use.

RoE [roll0]
RoE Strength [roll1]

MuffinMan
2016-09-20, 07:01 PM
Literally scattered about, most lying flat against the stone, lies hundreds of gold pieces- forgotten from antiquity. Likewise, in a crook of the now-empty sarcophagus, a pair of well-made weapons lie apparently protected from the wear of the years. One whip and one dagger, both of masterwork quality, await new owners.

Elowyn checks the blade of the recovered dagger as the other collect the gold pieces and nods in surprise and appreciation at finding it still razor-sharp. She transfers it to the sheathe at her belt, leaving her old dagger near the body of the fallen orc to be recovered on their return journey.

The spider's mandibles plunge deeply into Elowyn's trapped arm, and the hunter immediately notices a distressing chill begin to spread out from the injury.
Elowyn jerk in surprise, flailing for a moment against the unexpected resistance of the webbing. The poison of the venom rapidly saps her strength, and her heavy armor and weaponry begin to wear on her slender stature. Her spear slips from her grasp as she struggles against the webbing and focuses on evading further attacks. "Dae'reg! Help!" she manages to cry out.

-4 Str means that Elowyn is now at Medium encumbrance, which most importantly imposes a max Dex bonus of +3 :smallyuk:. I've updated this on her sheet as a temporary Dex score of 16, in addition to the Str penalty.

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
AC 17 Fort 4 Ref 6 Will 2
CMB +2 BAB 0
Elven curve blade +3 (1d10, 18-20/x2)
Elven branched spear +3 (1d8, x3)
Masterwork dagger +4 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Javelin +3 (1d6, x2)
(, )
Str 14 (2) Dex 18 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

First the immediate action from Halthus' Liberating Command:
Escape Artist [roll0] (+3 Dex, +2 Bonus, -3 Encumbrance) vs DC 16

If that succeeds, she'll 5ft step to W/19 (or W/18 if that weird corner rule applies) and use Total Defense this round for an effective AC of 21.

If that fails, attempt another Escape Artist [roll1] and move as above if successful. Whether or not the second attempt works, also ready her light shield for an effective AC of 18.

Dae'reg full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll2] v DC 12

claw 1 atk [roll3], claw 1 cc [roll4] (20/x2)
claw 1 dmg [roll5] slashing, claw 1 cdmg [roll6]

claw 2 atk [roll7], claw 2 cc [roll8] (20/x2)
claw 2 dmg [roll9] slashing , claw 2 cdmg [roll10]

bite atk [roll11], bite cc [roll12] (20/x2)
bite dmg [roll13] piercing, bite cdmg [roll14]

CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

Farmerbink
2016-09-21, 06:23 PM
Halthus' cache makes itself immediately useful as the near-instantaneous incantation results in the sudden freeing of Elowyn.

An odd chitter echoes in the narrow hallway as the spider's dinner makes its escape. In the next blink of an eye, Dae'reg moves into position, neatly batting the monstrosity twice to position it and following up with a nasty bite to its torso. Found suddenly in close proximity to another creature, the spider turns its attention to the feline. With eerie precision, the mandibles clamp on Dae'reg's shoulder before the cat can retreat from its own attack. With a hiss, he easily flicks the spider away and retreats to a slightly more manageable distance.

Dae'reg takes 4 damage- he saved vs the poison, so no str damage for the kitty!

The spider is bloodied. All players to act.

MuffinMan
2016-09-22, 07:39 AM
Elowyn draws her blade, the familiar instrument unusually heavy in her weakened grasp. With significantly less power and grace than usual, she aims a tentative blow at the beast, focusing on avoiding any counterattack. At her side, Dae'reg continues to ferociously attack with tooth and claw.

Elowyn draws the curve blade and attacks while Fighting Defensively:
atk [roll0] (+3 Dex, -4 defensive), cc [roll1] (18-20/x2)

(+2 dodge AC is included in the current value of 19)
Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
AC 19 Fort 4 Ref 6 Will 2
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +3 (1d6, x2)
(, )
Str 14 (0) Dex 18 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Dae'reg full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 12

claw 1 atk [roll5], claw 1 cc [roll6] (20/x2)

trip [roll17]

HP 13 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-22, 09:04 AM
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 12, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Dagger (x10) -3 Melee, +1 Thrown (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Condition Mage Armor
Fighting Defensively
Elaine dashes forward, jabbing at the spider from a defensive stance...

Move to melee range and then fight defensively as a standard action...
Dagger [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

My attack does not include flanking, though Elaine would move to flank if that is reasonable.

Richter
2016-09-23, 10:55 AM
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None

Now properly out of magic, Halthus keeps his more combative scroll in hand 'just in case' and launches his staff at the spider with his other. He's painfully aware of how quickly he's becoming exhausted even of that simple trick at this point, and even more so that what aim he can muster has to be made carefully to avoid his friends, but he also knows he needs to try.

"We need to bring this thing down quick! I don't know what are in those fangs, but I imagine we need to treat it fast!" Even mid combat, his mind pauses a moment at the realization he knows nothing about the spider and makes a note he'll spend the next nights he can digging into some tomes about flora and fauna.

Staying where I am, just using hand of the apprentice to launch my staff at the spider.

Attack [roll0] (Including a -4 for ranged attack into melee)
Damage [roll1]

Crit Attack [roll2] (Including a -4 for ranged attack into melee)
Crit Damage [roll3]

Farmerbink
2016-09-23, 11:11 AM
Elowyn and Dae'reg both score glancing blows on the spider. Halthus and Elaine's swipes fail to connect, earning little more than an annoyed chitter from the spider.

The spider lunges at Elowyn, but she easily avoids it's teeth.

No damage from the spider

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-23, 06:11 PM
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 12, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Dagger (x10) -3 Melee, +1 Thrown (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Condition Mage Armor
Fighting Defensively
"Get on either side of it, quickly!" Elaine snaps as she continues to slash at the arachnid with her dagger.

If possible, 5-ft step to flank, and attack.

Dagger [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

MuffinMan
2016-09-24, 08:51 AM
Elowyn steps to a better angle for striking and continues to focus on her defenses rather than on scoring a killing blow. "I you have some way of getting it off the wall, I'm all ears!" she snarls alongside Elaine.

Elowyn 5ft steps to W/17 and attacks, fighting defensively:
atk [roll0], cc [roll1] (18-20/x2)

Half-Elf Hunter 1 NG
AC 19 Fort 4 Ref 6 Will 2
CMB +2 BAB 0
Javelin +3 (1d6, x2)
(, )
Str 14 (0) Dex 18 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Dae'reg full-attacks. Handle Animal [roll4] vs DC 12

claw 1 atk [roll5], claw 1 cc [roll6] (20/x2)

trip [roll17]

HP 13 / 18 Speed ft Init 6
CMB +1 BAB 1
bite +8 (1d4 + 1, x2)

I haven't included flanking in any of the above attack rolls - add +2 if appropriate!

Richter
2016-09-24, 12:04 PM
No Armor (+2 Dex)
Condition None

At Elowyns request, Halthus blinks but gives a nod of his head. "Yes, yes, I can help with that I think!" The scholar's eyes flick over to the scroll in his hand, mouthing some of the words and pointing to the space on the wall the creature occupies to cast.

This is going to be an expensive spider, but we really can't afford to get any more poison. Casting grease off my scroll on the spot at its feat. I made the scroll, so would be DC 16.

Farmerbink
2016-09-24, 12:57 PM
As the hallway quickly becomes congested with people, Elowyn manages another solid blow on the nimble spider. It finally succumbs to it's many wounds and falls to the floor, silent.

In the room beyond, the party discovers what once must have been a secondary tomb. A half-dozen unmarked vacancies contain the long-since desiccated remains of... something vaguely humanoid. The wrapped figures reveal themselves to be a few humanoids who fell prey to the spider in the passing centuries and literally dozens- if not hundreds- of rats and similar vermin.

Little of interest is discovered, other than a single well-oiled belt pouch. It contains 75 gp and a pearl that resonates magical energies.

It's a level 1 pearl of power.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-24, 05:48 PM
As the spider falls Elaine looks at both Elowyn and her companion, noting the wounds from the spider's bites. "Alright, that finishes it. It is time to patch you both up and then call it a night. Stand still for a moment, please." She then says several silent prayers, holding her hoy symbol tightly in her hands. Two waves of healing energy flow from her and she says, "That is all for now - I always keep some power in reserve for emergencies, just in case. Finish rooting around amongst the dead here, and then we should head back and find a safe place to camp where we don't risk an ambush."

Two more uses of Channel Positive Energy to heal [roll0] and [roll1] HPs respectively.

MuffinMan
2016-09-25, 08:07 AM
"I agree - we'd not survive another foe like that. And thank you..." Elaine's healing energies mend the group's wounds to the point of looking like old scars, but Elowyn still struggles more than usual against the combined weight of her armor and weapons. Leaning on her spear for support, she quickly investigates the inner room, grimacing in distaste at the desiccated corpses and the rats crawling everywhere. When finds the pouch she shrugs at the pearl inside and passes it to Halthus for inspection. "I suggest we return to the entrance - there we have our gear, fire, and a single point of entry to defend. Plus an escape out of this tor, if it should come to that..." She begins walking back the way they came a few paces before grinding her teeth and turning back to the priestess. "Have either of you anything to help with this venom? I'm not felt this weak since I was a child..." She trails off, obviously uncomfortable and unused to having to ask for help.

Since we don't have access to lesser restoration yet, perhaps Halthus could cast mage armor on Elowyn, after resting of course. That way she could at least avoid encumbrance and be able to benefit fully from her Dex bonus.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-25, 09:10 AM
"You are welcome, and I am sorry - I do not have anything to help with the spider's venom. Perhaps resting will help you work it out of your system..." Elaine says noncommittally. "Tomorrow I can pray for Calistria to bless me with a spell to help you handle it, but I doubt I am advanced enough to cast such magic. We did not spend much time studying the finer arts of healing back in Magnamar. Too often the temple had other...needs...to address with our supplicants."

Elaine lapses back into silence, her eyes watchful as they continue through the underground chambers making their way back towards the entrance. As she walks she carefully, nearly lovingly, handles the masterwork whip, running her hands over the leather and feeling its balance and supple give. Before they arrive back at the cave's mouth the whip appears to have disappeared beneath her flowing silk clothing, its coils invisible against the gossamer fabric. It is somewhat incredible that anything could be hidden on her person, as so little of her figure is left to the imagination. There is little sign of either the new weapon or the daggers she used in combat when the other PCs look at her, however.

Take 20 on Slight of Hand checks to hide her weapons (26 DC to spot them).

Richter
2016-09-25, 12:49 PM
Halthus frowns some at the request. So many things he doesn't know how to do! So many things in the real world that he never would have thought to encounter among his stacks of books. But he best learn fast, his friends at counting on him.

"I'm afraid I don't have much skill in medicine, and my spells are not of much use for healing wounds or ails. The best I have is a bit of a hangover cure or something that will get you through a tired night, but I doubt that is going to do much against such foulness. You look like you are not growing worse, perhaps that belt will help you feel your strength until it returns or we can find you a medic who can remove your illness?"

Inspecting the items, Halthus looks over the coin, but has little interest in them himself, much more curious about their history than their value. He will carry them, however, if it looks like Elowyn is, letting her not add more exertion to her already hard day.

The pearl however, is something he gazes at with wonder. Rolling it around in his palm as he inspects it. "Now this, is beautiful. I will study it further tonight, but this definitely has great power. Let us rest. I will study this pearl, and my books and see if I can help you further in the morning. With luck, you may be feeling better then!"

MuffinMan
2016-09-26, 08:21 AM
Elowyn leads the group back to the main entrance chamber. Noting that the storm shows no sign of slowing down, she begins unbuckling her armor. "We'll sleep in shifts so that the remaining corridor is always watched - I'll take the middle shift so that you each can sleep uninterrupted." Once her armor is off, she drags any pieces of stone she can find to block the last doorway and hold it shut. "It won't stop anything determined to get in, but it will slow them down and give us more warning." After heating and eating one of her remaining trail rations she puts together a makeshift bed of her gear and prepares to sleep, weapons close at hand. Dae'reg for his part lies near the fire, gnawing contentedly on one of the rats from the tomb.

Elowyn will shift Dae'reg's active Aspect to "Falcon" for the night (+4 Perception). Perception mods are +8 and +9 for Elowyn and Dae'reg, respectively.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-26, 01:38 PM
Once at the entrance, Elaine says, "I will take the first watch. Both of you go to sleep and rest - I will wake Elowyn in several hours." She then begins to quietly walk about the entryway, keeping her eyes focused on the darkness beyond the fire's light. She alternates from looking out into the storm and gazing into the inky black of the remaining passageway, doing everything she can to let her eyes adjust to the darkness, just in case.

Stealth [roll0] to stay out of sight of anything sneaking up on the party
Perception [roll1] to spot anything trying to ambush her or the party. *Elaine does not have low-light vision or Darkvision.
*Assuming nothing happens during her watch...

Elowyn wakes to Elaine gently shaking her shoulder. "It is your turn, half-elven. May the blessings of the Savored Sting be with you and your companion this night," she whispers before making her way to her sleep roll. Moments later her breathing is steady as she falls asleep nearly instantly.

Farmerbink
2016-09-26, 05:28 PM
In her weakened state, and with only so much material to work with, Elowyns efforts to barricade the remaining hallway have little effect beyond ensure than any assailants will need to watch their step to enter the main entry hall without tripping. Still, it's a modicum of improvement over the previous state.

Fortunately, her efforts were unneeded. Sleep comes fitfully, as none of the party is particularly used to the seemingly ceaseless roar of thunder from beyond the opening of the cave. Still, despite the worst of nature's fury, the three unlikely companions are safe and dry as the landscape bears the brunt of the assault. The hours tick by, difficult to judge without aid of the stars or moon, and the storm seems to abate somewhat. By the time Halthus' watch ends, it might actually be safe to leave the cave- if spectacularly uncomfortable. Heavy sheets of water continue to pour onto the ground without pause, but curious eyes find no signs of hailstones in the last hours, and the seemingly-endless artillery of lightning has slackened to a single strike every handful of minutes.

One last hallway yawns into the depths of the mines, beckoning for investigation after centuries of being ignored.

MuffinMan
2016-09-27, 05:18 AM
Elowyn awakens after a fitful night of tossing and turning due to the storm. After checking on Halthus that the last watch was uneventful, she rouses the sleeping Elaine and re-stokes the fire for breakfast. Her arms still feel like they have lead weights attached, though, and with a sigh she leaves her hide armor next to her bedroll as she makes her preparations. "Did you learn anything about that pearl last night, Master Halthus?" she asks. "I am feeling better than yesterday, though still a long way from normal. The storm seems to be lessening - with any luck it will break by the time we are done exploring the third passageway." When they are ready to begin she turns to Elaine. "Would you care to lead the way? Your scouting efforts yesterday were... valuable." She hopes the strain in her voice comes across as a side effect of the venom, and not the difficulty in admitting reliance on the courtesan.

Richter
2016-09-27, 10:20 AM
Being the last watch, Halthus has already spent much time looking over the little trinkets by the time the others wake, and he smiles brightly at them. Its probably a good thing that nothing came overnight, as its unlikely he would have noticed until it was too late anyway. His dour mood from the darkness of the day before seems to have washed away with the night, some of the optimism and idealism returning.

"Oh, yes, I did certainly! This pearl holds great power. It can aid in replenishing some of the energies expended through magic, allowing us to further push ourselves before we need to rest. I believe that it would work well for either myself or Elaine, though we both cast very differently. It is my understanding that even calling upon holy powers can be quite draining."

Straightening up, he dusts himself off, and readies his things. He has much less difficulty with the compliments. "Please do lead the way, Miss Elaine. You were most skilled!"

Before heading out, I'm going to Mage Armor Elaine, and then use the pearl to ready it again and use it on either Dae'reg or Elowyn at their preference(Not sure if the strength is low enough Elowyn wants to ditch armor). I also shuffled up my prepped spells a little bit(ditched mage hand for disrupt undead, and ray of enfeeble for grease).

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-28, 02:20 PM
Elaine wakes and stretches languidly, her movements feminine and nearly feline in nature. With a yawn she opens her eyes and looks at the scholar with a playful look on her face. "Halthus, you are not the man my dreams last night, but maybe I can coach you a bit and get you there..." she murmurs, seductively. With a decidedly flirtatious motion she nibbles on her pinkie finger as she rises and then winks mischievously at the man. Turning towards the rain outside she walks to the cave's entrance where she looks out into the downpour. "I guess it would be too much to hope for the rain to have stopped. Oh well - when the world gives you lemons..."

With a shrug she strips and dashes out into the rain for a moment, reveling in the cold water on her skin before squealing in a most distracting manner and darting back inside. As she hustles to her pack - more out of obvious chill than embarrassment - Elaine notes the fire and nods approvingly. In her pack she finds a cloth which she uses to dry herself off before dressing again. The perfume she applies is only briefly noticeable from the polite distance of her companions, but then fades into the background. "Thank you for stirring up the fire, Elowyn. After a cold shower like that one the heat will feel very good."

After a simple breakfast, during which Elaine behaves nothing like the provocative courtesan of moments before, the priestess prepares herself to continue exploring. At Elowyn's question she smiles and nods, but when Halthus responds she grins impishly. "You have only witnessed a small portion of my skills, but keep behaving yourself and maybe you will see more of me again soon!" She then takes another rock, carefully blesses it to produce light, and ducks down into the last corridor to explore...

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Disable Device (if necessary) [roll2]
I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, especially since my brother is DMing and I believe we are all men playing. Elaine would certainly practice her skills as a temple prostitute, escort, and companion daily, even if it is not entirely appropriate. It should be obvious that she doesn't mean anything serious by it.

That said, just let me know if I present that role too much for anyone's enjoyment.

Richter
2016-09-28, 10:54 PM
Halthus, for his part, seems to completely overlook the flirting for what it is. His upbringing was less sheltered than simply devoid of such interaction, and his head is so often lost in ideas and running over details that he tends to skim over the more obvious ones he should catch.

The comment about being the man of her dreams brings a chuckle to his lips. "No, I should imagine that in a place like this the man of your dreams would be much more like our orcish friend was... I'm afraid that I am not exactly the muscly type to brush away monsters with a swipe of my axe."

As to the later innuendo, he simply answers solemnly. "I have no doubt you have a vast array of skills. I look forward to seeing them all, though with your talents at hiding, I doubt I will see you."

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-29, 12:55 PM
Elaine realizes that Halthus is clearly not comprehending her inuendos and scowls in annoyance. "Well, that's no fun...he's going to be a tough nut to crack..." she mutters as she disappears into the darkness to scout. "Maybe he just doesn't recognize flirting for what it is...has he been that sheltered? Or maybe just too caught up in his books..."

Farmerbink
2016-09-30, 08:30 AM
Elaine saunters into the hallway, carefully cupping her stone to resemble a hooded, directed lantern. A small room- empty, save for dust and a single small stone chest in the center of the floor- appears in the subtle bluish glow. She sweeps the corners of the room, and sees nothing out of place, and allows her hand to come off the stone, illuminating the space more fully.

Not even footprints disturb the thick layer of powdery dust covering the floor and the chest. Evidently, you are the first to disturb this chamber for a great many years.

Seeing nothing else to demand attention, Elaine carefully approaches the chest. Gently sweeping away some of the dust with her fingers, she leans down to open it- and stops suddenly. At the edge of the chest, a single thin filament seems out of place. Following the string with her eyes, she notes that it retreats into the container- certainly a trigger for some sort of trap mechanism.

At her warning, Elowyn and Halthus withdraw and take up defensive stances. As she is still trying to figure out how the trap works and how best to disarm it, Elaine unintentionally cracks the lid. It flies open with violent force, and a flurry of darts explodes from the top of the lid!

As darts clatter against the walls, Elaine falls to a seated position with a distinctly ungraceful motion. Three darts protrude from her chest and stomach, and her breaths come haggardly.
good time for a good perception roll!

... bad time for the nat 1 on DD. Three darts hit, for a total of 9 damage.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-09-30, 09:51 AM
Clearly dazed and in pain from the spray of darts, Elaine huffs once before taking the darts in hand and abruptly pulling them out. She then takes a deep breath and prays, "Calistria, Unquenchable Fire, heal me so my flame might continue to burn for you!" A moment later the puncture wounds close and her breathing steadies. "That was unpleasant," she announces as she remains seated where she was, apparently taking a moment to rest. Turning to the chest, she says, "Alright then, let's see what's inside, shall we?"

Cure Light Wounds, using the slot for Obscuring Mist: [roll0] HPs healed (after taking 1 damage for her standard action)

Richter
2016-09-30, 04:01 PM
Halthus dashes over to Elaine as she is darted and moves to heal herself, helping to pull the darts from her skin. He probably approaches faster than he should have for a trap that has just gone off, not considering the danger zone as he hurries to try and assist his fallen comrade. "Are you okay? That was... Nothing here is just going to be friendly, is it? Can I help?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-10-01, 04:59 PM
"Unless you are hiding a healing potion in your pants, I think I am as well as I can be after that," Elaine responds. She gestures to the chest and continues, "Go ahead and look inside the chest - I suspect I have cleared the way and it is now safe..."

Richter
2016-10-01, 06:53 PM
Halthus blinks for a moment and then looks rather embarrassed. "Not filled, certainly, but I do have one if it is of use to you. I assumed your talents were better suited to such tasks than could be bottled, but it is foolish of me to not consider that you must certainly feel the same strains in reaching out to your goddess that I feel when working my magics. If you tire and can use it, please, it is yours to take."

Offering the potion, whether she takes it or not Halthus will attempt to open the box to examine the contents.

Just a potion of CLW, I know we just woke up from rest, so not sure if its worth you carrying or not. I figured Elowyn is more likely to go down being in a the front of a fight, and if Elaine is still conscious she can heal herself, so Halthus was going to hang onto it so he could dump it down someone's throat if need be. But, that can be up for grabs for anyone.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-10-02, 11:32 AM
"You don't get any hints or entendres, do you?" Elaine says unhappily. Shaking her head, she continues, "No, you keep your potion - I was trying to make a joke, and you seem to be entirely oblivious to it. For now, it is better to ask for more healing from my goddess..."

Brushing herself off, Elaine stands and invokes more magic while looking expectantly at Halthus. "Well? What is inside?"

Cure Light Wounds (using the slot for True Strike) [roll0] HPs healed

Farmerbink
2016-10-02, 02:51 PM
At first glance, the contents of the chest seem less impressive than the size of the container. A leather headband, studded with iron rivets, lies at the bottom of the box, beside a pair of pearls and a small pouch.

The headband is a "Headband of the stout heart." It confers a +1 bonus on will saves to the wearer.
The pearls are natural semi-precious "gems." Valued at 100g each
The pouch contains 100 GP.

As Elaine approaches, and looks into the chest, she notes a pair of faint, suspicious markings along the interior. Feeling around the base of the chest, she discovers a small hidden compartment. A book lies within it, somehow protected against the passage of the centuries. Despite your best efforts, only the cover of the book will open- the pages remain stuck closed by some odd force.

The book gives of a faint aura of abjuration

Richter
2016-10-02, 06:19 PM
Looking through the contents of the chest, Halthus admires the pearls for a moment, taking in their luster, but then returns them to the bag and sets it aside. The headband receives more intense study, his eyes glazing over as he takes in the magic it holds. "This will help its wearer resist the effects of mental control, it isn't foolproof of course, but it will add to the strength of will one already has. It could be quite useful."

Even as he says that, he trails off, all thoughts of the headband forgotten when the book is presented. He hands the headband to whoever will take it, even if that happens to be Dae'reg, and gingery gathers the book in his hands. Seeing the magical aura, he is very careful as he examines it, knowing books are often protected. Opening the cover slowly, wincing as he does as if expecting it to explode in his face his brow furrows when he realizes he can flip through no other pages. "Now this... This is fascinating. Most fascinating. I would like to hold onto this, to study it further, if there are no objections. There must be a way to open it, though the spell probably releases by a command word or maybe even recognizes its Master... So curious. I could try and force it, but I must admit that was never my strong suit, and there can be great ramifications to failure. I once spent days repairing the classroom where I studied such things, after I came to of course."

I'm not going to risk it, but you have no idea how much I want to try and UMD this book to activate it blindly and see if I can fake the command word to get in. Of course, I have a +5(go no charisma!) so I'd have to roll a nat20 to hit the 25 required. And if I rolled a 10 or less a mishap would occur. Halthus isn't that reckless, but man is this thing going to be calling to him.

Also, I'd recommend Elowyn take the headband. I haven't peeked at char sheets to confirm, but I suspect Elaine has a pretty solid will save. Halthus' wisdom isn't anything to write home about, but he is a will based class and I figure most casters are going to try and hit the fighter with a will save effect since they will assume its going to be lower than the other caster's. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Elowyn dominated equals Halthus dead immediately.

MuffinMan
2016-10-03, 08:19 AM
Elowyn starts forward as the darts explode into Elaine, fearing the worse, but Halthus gets there first. Her heart is in her throat until she hears the priestess respond with an innuendo, at which point she breathes a sigh of relief. "You have pluck, priestess - I certainly cannot deny that. Your goddess must favor you, indeed - I am glad I did not have to carry you back to the camp! Are you well enough to go on?"

She takes the headband when Halthus offers it, tracing a finger around its circumference before trying it on for size. "Let's try it - the way things have been going down here we need all the defenses we can get." She looks on with polite interest as the scholar gushes about the arcane tome, but such concerns are clearly outside her area of interest of proficiency. "Yes, well, shall we continue? This-" she indicates the magical barrier of force that Halthus has conjured around her, "will not last all day, and I've rather face any more spiders and hobgoblins with it intact. If you need time to recover, Dae'reg and I will lead the way," she offers to Elaine as she refreshes the light orison upon her spear and prepares to move on.

Good call on Elowyn having the headband - she's the only class with a "weak" Will save (although she does have Wis as a casting stat). Dae'reg remains the weak link in terms of Will saves, but now Halthus is a little less likely to be murdered by a dominated Elowyn! :smallwink:

Stealth/Perception modifiers if necessary:
Elowyn: +6/+8
Dae'reg: +14/+5