PDA

View Full Version : DM/player looking for helpful opininons/information on 3.5 D&D.

geekmode
2016-08-10, 08:33 PM
Ok, I have several areas i need help with and be greatful for anything y'all can give me. All of this is based in 3.5 or 3e D&D. 1. Anything and everything about the deal the death giants made to get their power. 2. What would, from a players perspective, be a good offering to Doresain the king of ghouls so he would make every ghoul a necromancer makes gravetouched? 3. Is there a special material, like mythral or cold iron, that inherantly repels or "damages" magic, specifically arcane?

MisterKaws
2016-08-10, 09:29 PM
1. Varies from DM to DM, so we can't really help you.

2. Same as above.

3. Not in the books, and I don't recall seeing anything like that in the magazines either. Riverine is basically elemental energy encased in Force, and it does give a Deflection bonus when used as armor, so there's that.

geekmode
2016-08-12, 09:56 PM
ok, heres some more. what magical items would best suit a necromancer specializing in creating and controlling undead through rebuking, specifically artifacts. if i have a rod that grants a continuous passive bonus "while im holding it", does it actualy have to be in my hand or can it be in a holster at my side? its crucial i not lose the buff while im asleep. in my story santa, the easter bunny and the sandman are corrupted so they turn into krampus, jack frost and the boogeyman, respectively. what beings from the greyhawk lore would be capable of corrupting them that could be dealt with by a party levels 18-20? im looking for gods demons or anything.

MisterKaws
2016-08-12, 10:38 PM
ok, heres some more. what magical items would best suit a necromancer specializing in creating and controlling undead through rebuking, specifically artifacts. if i have a rod that grants a continuous passive bonus "while im holding it", does it actualy have to be in my hand or can it be in a holster at my side? its crucial i not lose the buff while im asleep. in my story santa, the easter bunny and the sandman are corrupted so they turn into krampus, jack frost and the boogeyman, respectively. what beings from the greyhawk lore would be capable of corrupting them that could be dealt with by a party levels 18-20? im looking for gods demons or anything.

1. Look at some of the Necromancy handbooks. You can find them relatively easily through google.

2. Hand-only. You can sleep while holding them, though. There's a Maug Graft(Fiend Folio) that gives you some sort of 'lock' to your hand, so you could use that.

3. Just slap Fiend of Corruption(also Fiend Folio) on anything level-appropriate and make a nice backstory for it.

geekmode
2016-08-18, 10:54 AM
thanks a lot. other than librus mortis, what other necromancy books are there?

Deadline
2016-08-18, 12:28 PM

Heroes of Horror can be useful.

Inevitability
2016-08-18, 01:52 PM

It's not necromancy specifically, but the Spell Compendium has quite a few interesting spells.

Silva Stormrage
2016-08-18, 04:18 PM

Lyre of restful soul (Libris Mortis) and rod of defiance are the top items for rebuking. Both apply a temporary -4 to turn resistance that stacks with each other. Since rebuking and commanding only check the undead's hd to see wether you can command them at the time of the rebuke attempt (Otherwise everytime you would bolster your own undead they would break out of your control) both of the items let you rebuke and command a 9 HD undead as 1 HD.

geekmode
2016-08-18, 08:59 PM
ok, thanks.

geekmode
2016-09-08, 09:29 PM
ok, i want to make two rings with the properties of two existing rods, specicifically the rod of undead mastery and the scepter of the undying. how would i do that and what would be their stats?