PDA

View Full Version : Favorite music to roleplay to?

srgtsilent
2016-08-11, 12:08 AM
Whats everybody's favorite style of music to roleplay to? My group loves to play metal (when not playing some kind of themed music). What about the rest of you guys?

Personally, I prefer not to listen to music when I DM or roleplay but that's me.

Corlindale
2016-08-11, 08:45 AM
I like instrumental, fantasy-style music that can add mood in the background without taking too much attention. Anything with recognizable lyrics I would find distracting.

I also like to have a different soundtrack for combat situations with more up-tempo stuff.

The Celestial Aeon Project (https://www.jamendo.com/artist/2740/celestial-aeon-project) is usually my go-to place for finding both kinds.

I don't really like instrumental stuff from licensed movies/videogames, because it can be distracting to suddenly recognize the music from another context.

danzibr
2016-08-12, 07:56 AM
Not roleplay, but when we played Magic we'd listen to the LotR soundtrack.

Norrefve
2016-08-19, 02:35 AM
Anything by Two Steps from Hell. They are really good.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-08-19, 02:47 AM
A constant loop of "Twist My Fingaz" by YG.

Goodkill
2016-08-19, 02:11 PM
i actually wrote my own soundtrack for a D&D-inspired video game i'm working on.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

if you like my soundtrack and you could like my FB page, that would be awesome.

edit: the volume in the soundtracks is a little low so probably sounds better with headphones or good speakers. my old laptop speakers for example suck too much so it doesn't sound right.

2D8HP
2016-08-19, 03:45 PM
For suspenseful dice rolls,

this music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cXcS49D64)
O Fortuna (O Fortune)
velut luna (like the moon)
statu variabilis (you are changeable)
semper crescis (always waxing)
aut decrescis; (and waning;)
vita detestabilis (hateful life)
nunc obdurat (first oppresses)
et tunc curat (and then soothes)
ludo mentis aciem, (as fancy takes it)
egestatem, (poverty)
potestatem (and power)
dissolvit ut glaciem. (it melts them like ice.)

Sors immanis (Fate - monstrous)
et inanis, (and empty)
rota tu volubilis, (you whirling wheel)
status malus, (you are malevolent)
vana salus (well-being is vain)
semper dissolubilis, (and always fades to nothing)
obumbrata (shadowed)
et velata (and veiled)
mihi quoque niteris; (you plague me too;)
nunc per ludum (now through the game)
dorsum nudum (I bring my bare back)
fero tui sceleris. (to your villainy.)

Sors salutis (Fate is against me)
et virtutis (in health)
michi nunc contraria, (and virtue)
est affectus (driven on)
et defectus (and weighted down)
semper in angaria. (always enslaved.)
Hac in hora (So at this hour)
sine mora (without delay)
corde pulsum tangite; (pluck the vibrating strings;)
quod per sortem (since Fate)
sternit fortem, (strikes down the strong)
mecum omnes plangite! (everyone weep with me!)

FinnLassie
2016-08-19, 04:24 PM
Very much depends. Never picked the music myself, but one of my friends who GMs for our friend group has an awesome playlist collected from different fantasy/adventure themed movie scores. LotR, Pirates of the Caribbean... damn it, all of the other titles are running away from me now. Anyways, yeah. Music is not necessary, but if chosen well it will amp up the experience.

Velaryon
2016-08-19, 06:53 PM
Depends who I'm gaming with and what game we are playing. I prefer to use a playlist something like this:

Very much depends. Never picked the music myself, but one of my friends who GMs for our friend group has an awesome playlist collected from different fantasy/adventure themed movie scores. LotR, Pirates of the Caribbean... damn it, all of the other titles are running away from me now. Anyways, yeah. Music is not necessary, but if chosen well it will amp up the experience.

...which I make up of soundtracks from movies and video games, and other instrumental stuff (with the occasional bit of lyrics if they're not too distracting or the song is pretty appropriate).

For Star Wars RPG, I have a playlist of all Star Wars music with a few other things thrown in.

But I'm not always the one supplying the music.

My friend at whose place I most often play D&D tends to put on a playlist of power metal, which I like but not so much as gaming music.

Sir Grave
2016-08-19, 11:32 PM
Depending on the campaign, a mix of awesome scores. In a game set on earth (such as most world of darkness campaigns) I might throw in a spattering of good songs from the times depending on what time we're playing in.

RyumaruMG
2016-08-21, 01:08 PM
I tend to use video game music from various sources - the stuff is designed to match a certain atmosphere and mood, so it's great for this kind of thing. Perennial favorites are Final Fantasy for... well, lots of things, as FF music is very versatile, Metroid for environmental music, and Legend of Zelda for dungeons and sweeping fields.

I also use Two Steps from Hell and occasionally Audiomachine.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-08-21, 11:13 PM
No. I changed my mind. I actually use this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76loq-MttU) exclusively on loop. (EDIT: NSFW lyrics in link, dudes)

http://i.imgur.com/0uKRbEv.jpg

Scarlet Knight
2016-08-28, 10:12 PM
I switch between Wagner's Operas for most D&D games, to Irish fiddle for inns and villages, sitar music for exotic locales, and Gregorian chants for churches.

Lonely Tylenol
2016-09-05, 04:15 AM
When I am a Bard player character, I write my own music/poetry and perform it for the game.

When I'm a DM, I will dabble in the above, but mainly draw from setting-appropriate classical music (or music so styled) and movie/video game scores.

BWR
2016-09-05, 04:28 AM
When we were in middle school we usually listened black metal (primarily Isengard, Darkthrone and Satyricon). In high school it was mostly 60s and 70s stuff (the Forrest Gump soundtrack really struck a chord with us). After that music hasn't been as big an issue. The current GM will put on what they feel like, which may be nothing at all, I will usually have some RPG soundtrack and the Conan soundtrack going for D&D-ish things, or SW soundtracks for SW, various harem anime songs for HHC, etc.

bobcat8622
2019-06-30, 01:17 AM
why audiomachine? what can you tell me about them? what album or song specifically?

samwoodblack
2019-07-16, 01:41 AM
The XX, Arcade Fire

Peelee
2019-07-16, 05:18 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Turn unthread!