PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A "Help me build" thread with M. Night Shyamalan!

GreyBlack
2016-08-11, 06:07 AM
So, this build isn't for a PC, nor is it even particularly for a humanoid! Rather, I'm looking to build an NPC for my players to interact with, a Fighter who has become king of a nation.... with something of a twist. The long and the short of it is that this fighter built up a nation for himself in the aftermath of a rather cataclysmic war which all but annihilated all of the magic in the realm. Afterwards, he put himself towards the goal of carving out a piece of land from the undead who conquered the land and reclaiming the lost magic of the world, simultaneously assembling one of the greatest libraries in existence and acting as the last bastion of civilization in society. He governs entirely according to Lawful Good principles, and governs justly and fairly throughout the land. However, there is a twist that I am almost certain will make the PC's decide to kill him.

So, this guy is a Lawful Evil vampire, who has set up his kingdom explicitly so he can take down the undead generals of the land who currently rule in the stead of the great Lich who created them, after said Lich's ascension to godhood. This general was lawful good in life, and does genuinely believe in lawful good principles, but has become so consumed by vengeance for what has become of this land that he seeks to destroy the other undead generals and set himself up as the supreme law of the land. To do so, he will have to bring to heel certain other forces within the land. Which is where the PC's come in...

So, based on this, I'm looking for ways to build a Fighter (Tactician archetype). Optimization is not 100% necessary, I'm just looking for some interesting stuff to put in there that a great mercenary general might have. Leadership is already in there, so otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

If you'd be so kind as to spoiler any build options related to the big reveal, please do so. I know at least one of my players frequents the forums and I really don't want to spoil the surprise.

Geddy2112
2016-08-11, 10:55 AM
I don't think being consumed by vengeance is a lawful idea. Vengeance is generally a chaotic thing; if you are going to be using pathfinder deities it is certainly chaotic, as Calistria is the CN god of revenge. Lawful people call it justice. He could easily be bringing these undead monsters to justice, making them pay for their crimes against his(and all) peoples. Or it could be a sense of duty to cleanse the realm of the undead scourge, and bring the remaining living realms under his rule.

For a merc general, I could see an intimidation build being viable. Maybe the dazzling display feat and some of the add on's to it like disheartening display and notorious vigilante.
A few teamwork feats to compliment the concept would be back to back(and improved), broken wing gambit, outflank, paired opportunist, wounded paw gambit.

Gildedragon
2016-08-11, 11:46 AM
Look at Karnath in Eberron... The dynamic might be along what interest you
Throw in some von Strahd for good measure.
Build: mostly aristocrat or aristocrat/fighter or high int high Cha fighter or warblade type. White raven or bard for inspiring speeches...
In pathfinder I'd check if there's anything in PoW that works like white raven...

Oooh or why not go Antipaladin? Was a pally while alive, undeath has shifted him some

GreyBlack
2016-08-11, 04:01 PM
Look at Karnath in Eberron... The dynamic might be along what interest you
Throw in some von Strahd for good measure.
Build: mostly aristocrat or aristocrat/fighter or high int high Cha fighter or warblade type. White raven or bard for inspiring speeches...
In pathfinder I'd check if there's anything in PoW that works like white raven...

Oooh or why not go Antipaladin? Was a pally while alive, undeath has shifted him some

I'm aware it's been done, but I actually have very little experience building for monsters. Hence the asking for help.

As to the antipaladin.... it is kind of out of theme.

He's not actually supposed to have magic due to how magic works on the plane, and kind of gets disqualified there. Hence the fighter.

Almost thinking maybe VMC Bard, though. Trying to keep this as first party as possible, as my players are uncomfortable with 3rd party, so I accommodate for them like that.

Gildedragon
2016-08-11, 07:27 PM
The reason I pointed out those examples is that the ruler in question has very... Similar goals and methods as to what you say: LG ideals and hopes that, in the wake of war, they don't really live up to.
As to no magic. Mmm I see.
Bardic music to buff allies would be fitting though.

Waker
2016-08-11, 08:19 PM
I don't think being consumed by vengeance is a lawful idea. Vengeance is generally a chaotic thing; if you are going to be using pathfinder deities it is certainly chaotic, as Calistria is the CN god of revenge. Lawful people call it justice. He could easily be bringing these undead monsters to justice, making them pay for their crimes against his(and all) peoples. Or it could be a sense of duty to cleanse the realm of the undead scourge, and bring the remaining living realms under his rule.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Justice_zpsrrvdfrbl.png (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Justice_zpsrrvdfrbl.png.html)

But enough of that silliness. Since you more or less have an idea of what you want him to do, including your archetype, there aren't too many suggestions I can make.
If you wanna play up his tactical abilities, you have three choices. The obvious one is to create some mooks to back him up. You could also make use of his Children of the Night ability. Thirdly is to "make" allies through the use of Dominate. Grab Ability Focus and borrow a teammate from the party.