PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Using 5e for a modern setting?

CrazyCrab
2016-08-11, 07:51 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been planning a new campaign for a while now and while I have the setting down I am not so sure if I can use DnD 5e for it or if I should go with some other system.
The thing is that I am playing with people relatively new to roleplaying and teaching them DnD took a while - they're happy with the system, so asking them to buy Shadowrun books out of nowhere won't be too nice and that game is pretty complicated when compared with DnD.

The thing is that I am really interested in running a modern campaign and we all know that there's nothing worse than a DM not into his game...

So, what do you think about using 5e as a chassis for a modern setting?

The premise is, generally:
''WW2 Nuclear bombs ruined the time and space continuum, opened up magic as an option, the Nazis used that to capture London, the city got bombed as a result and is a freakish, otherworldly place. The allies won, the USA dominates Europe with the USSR on the other side. Ancient artifacts from the past awaken, turning relics into powerful weapons and museums into arsenals. As much as knowledge that magic exists will get you in trouble and probably get silently dealt with. As a result London is the city to go to when you need to disappear or are just looking for quick money - many will pay well for the freakish things you can find there. It's only been a couple of years since the war so the ruins are still fresh. As you can guess, the party ends up there. ''

Gameplay wise I'm thinking of something combining S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (artifacts, strange life forms, military as an enemy), Metro (seeing how it's London it's the easiest way of getting around) and Shadowrun (the players are civilians, so black market is the only option when it comes to getting weapons, fixers give you missions).

I'm guessing the base game mechanics will do just fine - the skills are quite general so 'nature' and 'persuasion' etc. are always useful, no matter the setting. The classes seem to work just fine too, if you don't forget that magic is an exceptionally risky thing to meddle with. Other classes like 'rogue' and 'fighter' are timeless. I don't think that guns will completely out-damage everything else, as I figured that these won't be magical (and therefore will deal 1/2 damage to most dangerous monsters).

So, anything I should be on the lookout for? Any classes / archetypes that don't make any sense in a modern game? Any tips?

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-08-11, 07:59 AM
Did you see the articles on the WotC D&D website about one of the in-house D&D modern campaigns? It had rules for firearms Proficiencies, modern armor with ballistic DR like Kevlar vests, and there was a Unearthed Arcana about Modern Magic, with an Urban cleric domain

RazDelacroix
2016-08-11, 08:02 AM
As one who is working on a little (big) conversion project, I would like to recommend that additional and/or modified tool proficiencies be available to your players. For those times when we need to drive a sedan off a roof, into the bank, then parallel park between two tellers in one drift; it helps to have the Vehicle (Land) proficiency!

CrazyCrab
2016-08-11, 08:43 AM
Did you see the articles on the WotC D&D website about one of the in-house D&D modern campaigns? It had rules for firearms Proficiencies, modern armor with ballistic DR like Kevlar vests, and there was a Unearthed Arcana about Modern Magic, with an Urban cleric domain

Thanks, I've completely forgotten about it! I'll definitely be adapting it into my game.

As one who is working on a little (big) conversion project, I would like to recommend that additional and/or modified tool proficiencies be available to your players. For those times when we need to drive a sedan off a roof, into the bank, then parallel park between two tellers in one drift; it helps to have the Vehicle (Land) proficiency!

Hmm, I figured that finally that proficiency will actually be useful :smallwink: Any other unusual proficiency i should keep in mind? It's the 60s, so the internet and mobile phones on everyone aren't a thing yet, so I figured that 'proficiency (electronics)' should cover most daily interactions.

RazDelacroix
2016-08-11, 10:39 PM
Tool proficiencies are something to keep in mind. Many in the PHB could reasonably have modern equivalents, though you will need to use some common sense and creativity to help make things interesting.

While I do have some possible tips to chuck, at this moment I have a headache and will try to answer questions tomorrow if there are any. Stupid migraine ruining my internets :smallfurious:

eldamir
2016-08-12, 12:06 AM

My oldest son did a one-shot with myself, his girlfriend and a couple of my other sons using that UA as the basis. Seemed pretty solid and fun.
Especially the part where we cast silence on the grenade before tossing it into the room full of guards..

Iguanodon
2016-08-12, 12:36 AM
... there was a Unearthed Arcana about Modern Magic, with an Urban cleric domain...

An interesting read; I don't know how I missed this before. :smalltongue: