PDA

View Full Version : The Demystifiers [IC]

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-11, 09:36 AM
The docks of Absalom, the world’s largest city and greatest seaport, seem to stretch from horizon to horizon as your newly formed team seeks out their transportation. You have two berths booked aboard the Freestar, a swift cargo vessel that regularly makes the short voyage between Absalom and Almas, the capital city of Andoran. Unfortunately, there are over a hundred civilian ships currently docked in Absalom’s port, and a large percentage are flying the flag of Andoran, making the search for the Freestar far more complex than it should be. The heavily crowded docks, bustling with merchants, longshoremen, and patrolling city watchmen, doesn't help matters.

Were you full-fledged Pathfinders, the crowd would no doubt part for you. But as mere Initiates, you’re seen as no better than any other vagrant passing through the city. Each of you has either been sponsored, or applied and passed rigorous trials, in order to gain even the meager rank you now have. But until you have completed enough missions to satisfy your Venture-Captain, you will remain mere Initiates and nothing more.

You recall your initiation ceremony, held just yesterday in the Hall of the Pathfinder’s Grand Lodge. Nestled inside an enormous wall in the heart of the Foreign District, the Grand Lodge’s buildings of gleaming white stone tower like obelisks over the rest of the city. You were ushered into the Hall along with two dozen other initiates- a group so exotic in its membership that even your team seemed normal in comparison. Under the watchful gaze of the Hall’s marble statues, you and these other Initiates assembled to receive your marching orders, hopefully the first of a long Pathfinding career.

You were addressed by the newly appointed Venture-Captain Harmon Reese. A slim and greying human warrior of forty or fifty years, Captain Reese was a man who clearly had accrued a great many miles in his lifetime. He had the telltale look of a seasoned traveler, and he easily commanded the assembled Initiates with a raptor’s gaze.

“Welcome, my Initiates,” he said grandly, “Time is of the essence, so pardon me for being brief on such an important occasion. You represent the best of our Initiate class. I have personally elevated you from your peers to serve under me directly, and I expect great things from all of you. In lieu of the normal Confirmation trials, I have been given leave by the Three Masters to move you directly into the field-- perform your missions well, and I will see you promoted to full Pathfinders in no time at all.

“I have studied your profiles extensively, and give careful consideration to assembling your teams to emphasize your strengths. You all entered this hall as strangers, but rest assured that you can trust your teammates-- you would not be here if I did not personally vouch for each of you. Now, as I call your names, please separate into groups; each group has a different mission, and we’ll need to go into some detail, so please be patient.”

The rest of the night was spent in preparation, for your Venture-Captain commanded that you depart first thing in the morning. You procured needed items from the quartermaster, read and re-read all the details of your mission, and took a little time to introduce yourself to your odd collection of new teammates.

Now, your mission has begun. Finally you have arrived at the berth of the Freestar, a strapping grey-hulled caravel whose triangular sails tug at the rising wind. The tide is right, and you can see the captain on deck, barking orders to his crew as they prepare to set sail. A few other passengers push past you up the ramp, greet the captain, and head below deck.

Greetings and welcome to the Demystifiers Pathfinder Campaign!

All your characters have been in Absalom for at least a short time. You are all Initiates in the Pathfinder Society, and you have only known each other for a single day. None of you are ‘in charge’ of the mission- you all share equal rank and must work together to achieve your goals.

Assume you have had time to purchase all the supplies you desire, either from the Pathfinders’ Quartermaster or from the markets in the city. For your first post, board the ship when you’re ready, and introduce yourself to the ship’s captain. Your passage on the Freestar has already been paid for.

When everyone is assembled in your quarters belowdecks, we’ll go over the details of your first mission! Also, please claim a text color to outline your speech (as I have done with Captain Harmon, above). This is very helpful for identifying when a player is speaking in-character or not.

BrianWarfel
2016-08-12, 09:04 AM
I come jogging up to the gangplank, and wait for the necessary gap to board. I am running later than intended, but as I planned to be here 90 min before cast-off, being 30 min late isn't much of a concern. I got held up at the guild, I had needed to double check a detail about the post system.
I make my way up the plank, and when it comes my turn I pass over my ticket with a quiet, "Morning cap'n."I've worked on ships before, and other captains have explained to me that they don't care for this particular bit of show, where instead of doing anything productive they need to wait there, on deck, to greet every single passenger. I try to make this as painless as possible and quickly make my way to the deck hatch. I wander below deck looking to see if any of my team mates have arrived. Not seeing them, I head to my bunk, and make note of the days events in my new journal.

About_2_Pounds
2016-08-13, 04:11 PM
I weave my way through the crowd and board the ship. I approach the captain with my ticket in hand and greet him with a good morning.
Now that I'm aboard the ship I'll look around trying not to get into anyone's way. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for anyone I'd recognize as I eventually make my way to my room.

bejujular
2016-08-14, 12:37 AM
Sipping something what the grocer described to me as 'Energy, energy!' brew which I acquired in the Absalom food marketplace, I walk to the vessel with gear scooting along behind me. Once up the plank I hand my papers to the captain with a quick transaction featuring minimal conversation. Before I make my way down to the underbelly of the great grey ship, I pause to look out at the dense ships of the harbor, their great necks pointing to the sky in a sea of angled wood and linen.

Letting out a sigh, I head down below to meet my newly found compatriots of Pathfinder. Once in the area designated to us, I announce my presence,

"Good morning, remember me, Ushar? Well, at least I think one of these bunks must hold someone I met yesterday... Anyways, how was everyone's last night of Absalom?"

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-16, 02:23 PM
After some terse conversation, the three of you settle into your cramped bunks as well as you are able- the Pathfinders are paying your fare, but they clearly didn't spring for deluxe accommodations. As you talk, the discussion quickly turns to your mission, and Omar opens his journal to share the notes he took- a concise transcription of the details Captain Reese gave you during your meeting yesterday.

Mission Start Date: 4 Kuthona, 4714 AR.
Mission Deadline: 28 Kalistril, 4715 AR.

In 4712 AR, Pathfinder Murazon Orethane and his team (“Murazon’s Marauders”) went missing somewhere in Andoran. Their mission was to go to the coastal village of Triela to investigate rumors of the reappearance of a former Pathfinder and Andoran hero long believed dead. To this day, the fate of Murazon and his team is unknown.

Recently, Murazon’s family, the Orethane Clan, have made inquiries into recovering his remains for proper burial. The family hope to inter him with his ancestors, and are quite interested in discovering the circumstances surrounding his death. They also wish to return his gear, which include family heirlooms, to their rightful owners and are prepared to pay handsomely.

Mission Objective: Find conclusive evidence of the fate of Murazon Orethane. Document everything in your mission log for your Venture-Captain.
Secondary Objective: Return Murazon’s hammer, mail, and/or Crimson Helm to their rightful owners

Resources: The Pathfinder Society provides fare to sail to Almas and back, as well as rations & water for travel. The Captain provided descriptions of Murazon and his men, and has directed you to begin your search at the Lodge in Almas.

Reward: Promotion one step closer to full membership, as well as a bounty of 500gp each. In addition, the Orethane family is prepared to pay the Pathfinders a hefty price for Murazon’s remains (whatever form they may take), of which the team gets a share to split. Lastly, the family has offered an additional bonus of 1,000gp if Murazon’s Crimson Helm can be recovered (family heirloom).

bejujular
2016-08-16, 10:59 PM
~The faint sound of jingling money can be heard.~

"One thousand gold split among us is a hefty portion each, I'd love to hunt that helmet down," I say with no small hint of avarice. With quick snap back to attention to discuss the task at hand I correct, "but... I'll say that after landing in Almas we'll be at a scramble for any evidence that even hints at a trail. Do we suppose the lodge in Almas was their last known wherabouts?"

About_2_Pounds
2016-08-18, 01:48 AM
"I agree that time will be of the essence. Certainly our best course is to follow their instructions on our inaugural outing and make the lodge our first stop. Even if it isn't their last known whereabouts they're likely to have stopped there, or at least to have run into someone that will be there. With any luck we'll find the evidence needed to point us in the right direction.
Also, I wholeheartedly second your point about the helmet. That money's too good to simply pass up."

BrianWarfel
2016-08-18, 07:49 AM
I'm not all that worried about time. We have been given almost three months, and any evidence that exists after two years probably is not going anywhere. Even if the lodge does not know where they went, there is probably somebody there who remembers the rumors that the Marauders were chasing in the first place. We just need to follow the same path they took to find them. Heck, there is a chance that while were in the area we can look into the investigation they were doing, that should be worth another bounty on its own.

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-18, 10:10 AM
Filled with confidence, the three of your discuss your upcoming mission. It doesn't seem terribly difficult, and it appears you've been given ample time to complete your goals. The possibility of a hearty reward (and impressing your Venture-Captain) leads you to consider going to great lengths to recover Murazon's helm, and you hope the opportunity will present itself to claim such a prize.

The ship slowly lurches into motion, and the shouts of the first mate can be heard over the ringing of the bell and the stomping of sailors on the deck over your heads. The trip to Almas is not long, taking about a week, but that estimate depends heavily on the weather. The Inner Sea is notoriously fickle in the winter and squalls can spring up out of nowhere, often requiring long detours to evade.

Winter has only just begun, and already the air is growing cool. Thankfully the Inner Sea's northern coast, where you are headed, doesn't suffer greatly from snow. It's a good time to be leaving Absalom for a spell; while you are away, the city is likely to be lashed again and again with sleet and hail.

The crew guide the Freestar gracefully out of port, the sails snap open smartly to catch the wind, and before long the tossing of the ship grows in intensity. Omar's sea legs never really leave him, and the ship's bucking doesn't bother him in the slightest- Erik and Ushar aren't so experienced and may find the motion quite jarring.

The ship, and your mission, are now truly underway. You have several days to yourselves and can do whatever you wish, provided you stay out of the crew's hair.

Now that your short voyage is underway, feel free to do as you like. You can spend some time getting to know one another (now would be a good time to share your capabilities, if not your life stories), work on personal projects, or just pass the days idly. If you wish to simply skip over the voyage, drop a post in the OoC thread to let us know that you pass your turn and we'll move on.

BrianWarfel
2016-08-18, 01:03 PM
I try to recall anything I can about Triela, and if that is lacking I wander the ship to see if any of the passengers going the same way can tell me more. I'd rather not bother the crew, but if there are no helpful passengers, I'll ask one of the crewmen in their downtime.
knowledge local [roll0] (unless I can use that 19 from the other thread)
Diplomacy [roll1] (to speak with other passengers, I keep forgetting pathfinder has no Gather Information)
Profession shipwright [roll2] (to stay out of the way, and to know who to ask and when)

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-21, 10:08 AM
Omar, having never travelled to Triela himself, finds that he can remember only scraps of information: it is located on the mouth of the mighty Sellen River, it is a transportation hub for Andoran's robust lumber trade. But that's the extent of his knowledge, and nobody on the ship seems to know or wish to share more information. He finds the crew to be taciturn and the other passengers simply wish to be left alone, and make no time for him.

So it is with relatively little preparation that, on the 12th day of Kuthona, the Freestar finally makes port in Almas. The city is an enormous seaport, split along either side of the Andoshen River, whose sprawling docks rival those of Absalom (though the rest of the city, while grand, is no rival for its southern neighbor). The Freestar finds a berth on the western riverbank, which adjoins the city's Mercantile District. Beyond the docks you can see the sprawling buildings of the district, often reaching two or three stories in height, made of bright stone and stout timber. Banks, storehouses, and countless shops line the street as you disembark.

There is a lodge in Almas where you can begin your search for the long-missing Pathfinders: the Cathedral of Aroden, an enormous, repurposed church run by a Venture-Captain Brackett.

Anyone may make a DC 10 Knowledge: Local or Diplomacy check to find the Cathedral. Alternately, if you have some other business to pursue, go right ahead.

About_2_Pounds
2016-08-22, 11:47 PM
I prepare my things, make sure my companions are ready to head out, and disembark from the boat, eager to see this new city. I'm driven with anticipation to succeed in our first mission and, hopefully, find plenty of loot along the way. Wasting no time I start seeking out the Lodge.
(1d20+7)[13]

bejujular
2016-08-24, 09:42 PM
While we step off the boat, I give a brief rundown of what I know about the city's history, trying to add relevant details regarding political factions or strife that might be important in our discourse with the locals.

Roll History: My Driven By Mystery knowledge is in history.
Am I allowed to say I am taking 20 since we had all the boat time? If so that's what I'm doing. Otherwise I rolled a 4.
Roll: (1d20+7)[11] or [27] depending on if I take 20

BrianWarfel
2016-08-25, 07:38 AM
As my own inquiries were somewhat lacking, I listen closely to my companions description of this new town. I'm not clear on the others plans, but I would prefer to head directly to the cathedral if for no other reason than to get trustworthy directions to any other places of interest.

Toilet Cobra
2016-08-25, 01:47 PM
The Cathedral of Aroden is a well-known landmark, and Erik is able to guide you there with little trouble. Ushar knows that the revolutionary politics of the nation are in continuous upheaval, with new parties rising to power ever year, but sadly his information is out of date, so he merely advises the group to watch their step- Andoran was the site of bloody political purges in the past.

The Andoran you see, however, is fairly relaxed and upbeat. The people greet one another warmly and even strangers such as yourself get a friendly nod. You can't help but note how much more relaxed the city is compared to Absalom, which has seemed very much on edge with the coming winter's hard times.

After some walking, you cross from the docks over a narrow tributary of the river, and enter the Embassy District. The buildings go from merely nice to downright opulent, and among all the fancy statues and towering construction you find the Cathedral, looking even grander than its neighbors. Its spires soar over the wide courtyard surrounding it, and the ancient stained-glass windows sparkle merrily in the sunlight. The Cathedral doors stand wide open, and the stone steps leading up to the enormous entryway are blood-red granite-- a warning against trespass, as only the Pathfinders and their guests can enter freely. Feeling somewhat uneasy, you pass through the portal unmolested, though the distinct tingle of magic makes the hair rise on your necks.

Inside, you see only minimal activity, but its clear that these people are Pathfinders going about their business (their travelling gear gives them away instantly, as do the Wayfinders they wear on their belts). Mostly you are ignored, and allowed to wander about freely. You are somewhat surprised to find that the great open Cathedral hall has been divided into many different rooms with varying uses. Through open doors you see a glimpse of an expansive library, a cramped barracks (mostly unoccupied, but stacked wall-to-wall with bunkbeds), kitchens, and an armory. Only this last room has a guard: an imposing, dark-skinned human wearing a cloak of white warg's fur and leaning on a wicked bastard sword.

As you take in your surroundings, you are approached by a middle-aged swordsman with a prominent hook nose and eyes that glitter with mirth. His angular face is split by a broad grin, and he eagerly shakes your hands, one after another. "Welcome, new friends and old!" he proclaims. He gives you a quick glance-over. "New friends mainly, I think. How grand! Allow me to introduce myself: Edmund Brackett, at your service." He bows with a slight incline of the head. "Now if I may be so bold, what brings you fine gentlemen to my humble lodge, and how can I be of assistance?"

BrianWarfel
2016-08-28, 04:18 AM
I return the bow and pause to see if anyone else is planning to handle the introductions. When the silence lingers I choose to speak. Greetings, we were assigned by Venture-Captain Reese to investigate the disappearance of some other pathfinders in the area a few years ago. I am Omar Rigwright, (here I pause and wait for my companions to give their names). We just arrived in town and felt it best to come here first to check-in and start our inquiries. Do you keep any record of pathfinders passing through the area?

Toilet Cobra
2016-09-01, 08:27 AM
"Records? Yes indeed!" Brackett's smile grows even wider. "In fact, I was about to ask you gentlemen to sign our logbook, so it would be my great pleasure to show you to our records room." The man leads you back through the library (which seems to be primarily historical, astrological, and meteorological tomes) to a small, closet-like space, packed to the ceiling with imposing ledgers the size of shields. A single, narrow window shines a lonely sunbeam across the dusty, book-scented air.

One book stands open on a narrow desk, and Brackett invites you to sign and date it (the Current date is 11 Kuthona, 4714 AR).

"This volume has recorded the comings and goings of everyone who has passed through the Cathedral for almost four years now," Brackett explains. "If your missing Patfhinders stopped at the Cathedral, most likely their signatures should be here. Of course, they probably didn't record much more than their names." He turns your attention to the southern wall, which unlike the others, is not stocked with uniform tomes; rather, each shelf is crowded with boxes stuffed haphazardly with papers of every sort. "You may find more here, in our... miscellaneous records. Though I sadly cannot make any promises that, if any information does indeed exist, it can be found-- circumstances being what they are, we never seem to have time to organize this shelf."

Brackett bows in apology, and leaves you to your research. A few moments later, a servant arrives bearing a bronze tray carrying tea and biscuits, as well as tall candles to provide you with better light.

After scanning through the archive, you find Murazon's signature without much difficulty. The exact entry Reads "PF Murazon Edric Orethane & Co., Almas ---> Triela 25 Kuthona, 4712". The entry does not indicate if this is the date that Murazon arrived in Almas or the date he left.

If you'd like to try and dig for more information in the "miscellaneous records," you can work together to make a Knowledge: Local roll. This will take at least a few hours of sifting to even attempt, which will take you to sundown.

About_2_Pounds
2016-09-02, 02:12 AM
I'd like to dig for more information, as long as my teammates are down.
Roll(1d20)+7: 16,+7
Total:23

Toilet Cobra
2016-09-03, 12:17 AM
Erik has a keen mind for this kind of research, and with him leading the effort you make relatively quick work of the pile of papers. You realize that several attempts must have been made to organize the files over the years, because you encounter many clumps of papers that are in perfect order- but those clumps are then dumped randomly on the shelf, in no obvious relation to one another. Nevertheless, as the sunlight wanes and you light your candles, you are able to isolate the papers that are dated to the timeframe where the missing Pathfinders may have been passing through the Cathedral.

In the end, you find only one document linked to your mission: a bill of sale, signed by “M. Orethane,” and countersigned by the Cathedral’s Quartermaster, a “Winston Daws.” Dated 25 Kuthona 4712, the bill outlines the purchase of a great deal of standard travelling gear- a pair of large tents, iron rations, thick fur cloaks, flint and steel. All very mundane. But you also see several unusual items: a set of waterproof lanterns, climbing harnesses, hammers and picks. You also see that the group purchased several large oilcloth backpacks, which had to be commissioned specially by Mr. Daws. Several watertight scroll cases and ten yards of vellum complete the strange shopping list, with the final tally coming to hundreds of gold pieces (which, according to the bill of sale, came from Murazon’s own pocket; none of the items save the rations were paid for by the Pathfinder Society).

BrianWarfel
2016-09-10, 11:29 PM
I look over their shoping list, and make notes in my journal. Ok, this is a problem. Wherever they though they were going, they believed they would need this equipment to get there. It looks like they were expecting mountain climbing, cold, and either very heavy rain or swimming. We will hopefully be going the same path, and this equipment is well outside our budget. I suppose the good news it that with such an odd purchase it is more likely that (checking the notes) ...Mr. Dawes will remember somthing about them. I think we should try talking to him, see what he recalls. Also, I would like to stop by the nearest magic shop, and whichever one Mr Dawes recomends, and see if they can tell us about the scrolls the Maruaders bought. Its getting a bit late for that tonight though, after we put these away lets ask the armory guard if we are allowed to use the barracks. I begin putting the files back on the shelf, I'd rather not waste any orgizing we did during our serch, so I put them back in somthing like order. Then I stack the empty cups and plates on the tray and take it to the kitchens. And if we see Brakett again, I will ask him aout the legends the maruaders were chasing.

Toilet Cobra
2016-09-15, 09:53 PM
The light has grown dim and you're all quite tired from your journey. Thankfully, the guard informs you that beds are available for your use in the barracks, as a courtesy to all Society members (and hopefuls). Before you get to sleep, you do manage to bump into Captain Brackett once more, as he walks briskly by the library on other business. You try your best to describe the Marauders, but he regretfully tells you that he does not remember them.

"I most likely only met them in passing," he says, "and this Cathedral sees a lot of dwarves in two years." He smiles apologetically. "As for Mr. Daws, I'm afraid you're out of luck: he resigned over a year ago. I believe he took a job doing inventory on the waterfront, but I haven't seen him since he left our employ, and for all I know he may no longer be in the city." He gives you a description of Daws, in case you should choose to seek him out, but unfortunately Brackett can't render any more assistance than that.

As always, time is of the essence. You'll have to decide as a group whether you'd like to seek out Mr. Daws or not. You could always press onward if you so chose.

BrianWarfel
2016-09-30, 04:01 PM
I would like to try to find Mr Dawes. This early, I think we can spare the time for it. And without him, we know almost nothing about what they were searching for.