PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need help with assigning a CR of a custom BBEG

Amnoriath
2016-08-11, 10:41 AM
So I am making a one shot campaign with some older but new people to D&D. It is a party of 5 starting a 6 while conservatively level 8 when the face this. Currently it is a Wood Elf Hunter Ranger, Dragonborn(mine) Paladin, Teifling Warlock, and I am not sure about the others at this point. They will have a couple of rare-class attuned magic items in their possession each as well as using feats. Basically the story is a king sends them out on quests to retrieve these cursed items only for the king to use them himself making this. I want to know what is the CR of this beast and if it would be a bit too vicious in the end. I present Gargon, the Ravager.

Large aberration, Chaotic evil
Armor Class: 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 143 (15d10 + 60)
Speed: 30 ft., fly 30 ft.
STR 20 (+5) DEX 11 (+0) CON 18 (+4) INT 12 (+1) WIS 9 (-1) CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws: Dex +4, Con +8, Wis +3, Cha +7
Skills: Arcana +5, Athletics +9, Intimidation +7, Perception +3
Condition Immunities: charmed, diseases, and poisoned
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons, cold, necrotic, and psychic
Damage Immunities: Poison
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages: Common, Sylvan, Underdark
Challenge: ?
Innate Spellcasting: Gargon's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: Arms of Hadar, Darkness, and Invisibility
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Booming Blade, True Strike
3/day each: Crown of Madness, Enhance Ability, Fireball, Gaseous Form, Phantasmal Force
1/day each: Animate Objects, Cone of Cold, Evard's Black Tentacles
Legendary Resistance(1/day): If Gargon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Weapons: Gargon's weapon attacks are considered magical.
Touch of the Far Realm: When Gargon hits a creature with a melee weapon attack, that creature has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell he casts before the end of his next turn.
Regeneration: Gargon regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point.
Writhing Tentacles: Gargon possesses 4 large tentacles that eminate from his back. This allows him to maintain grappling Large creature without using any other limb nor does it reduce his speed. Additionally he can either attempt to grapple, shove, or attack with a tentacle as a bonus action.

ACTIONS
Multiattack: Gargon makes two attacks, either with its tentacles or its glaive.
Tentacle: (True Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d8+5) bludgeoning damage.
Glaive: Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (2d10+9) slashing damage, or reach 10 ft 15 (1d10+9) slashing damage in Small or Medium form.
Change Shape: Gargon magically polymorphs into a Small or Medium humanoid or back into its true form. Other than its size, its statistics are the same in each form. The only equipment that is transformed is its glaive, which shrinks so that it can be wielded in humanoid form. If Gargon dies, it reverts to its true form, and its glaive reverts to its normal size.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Gargon can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Gargon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Flail: Gargon can make strength check to shove or grapple another creature.
Tentacle attack: Gargon can make a tentacle attack against another creature.
Innate Spell(2 actions): Gargon can cast a cantrip or an at will spell that he knows.

ITEMS

Belt of Far Travel(attunement): While attuned the user can cast Misty Step at will without any components. If they would use their action and movement in addition to its bonus action they cast Dimension Door instead.
The user though experiences a great dissatisfaction in remaining in one place. If they would stay in one place(roughly a 5 mile spread) for more than 24 hours they must make a Wisdom save against a DC of 15 or they gain disadvantage in mental ability checks and they must move at a fast pace.

Glaive of Cursed Hunger(attunement): While attuned any attack made by it scores a critical hit if they roll a 19 or 20 and they may add their proficiency bonus to its damage rolls. If this blade would strike a dying creature it is killed instantaneously while gaining temporary hit points equal to 1d8+CR of the creature(minimum 1).
Bearers of this weapon though experience a lust to either kill or maim humanoids. In order not to do so with in the hour they must make a Charisma save against the humanoid's Intelligence score.

Helm of Unnatural Thought(attunement): While attuned they beared gains advantage on mental saves against spells. Additionally once per short or long rest if you would fail an ability check you may roll the die again taking the second result.
Bearers of this helmet are plagued with incomprehensible visions. During a long rest they must make an Intelligence save against a DC of 15 or take 1d10+HD in psychic damage while being compulsed to do a mundane task that would sidestep your adventure from time to time.
When a wearer would be attuned to all of these items Gargon, the Ravager takes over the users body and polymorphs into his true from unless

Gastronomie
2016-08-12, 06:24 AM
Interesting design. I like it.

Without the items, I think it's roughly CR 10 or 11. With the items, around CR 12, I guess.

Whether the guy is okay to pitch against the PCs depends on their level of optimization and items. The safest way is for you to playtest by yourself, using the character sheets of your PCs.

Amnoriath
2016-08-12, 06:20 PM
Interesting design. I like it.

Without the items, I think it's roughly CR 10 or 11. With the items, around CR 12, I guess.

Whether the guy is okay to pitch against the PCs depends on their level of optimization and items. The safest way is for you to playtest by yourself, using the character sheets of your PCs.

1. Thanks
2. Hmm, I guess I could rephrase it in that is it unreasonable for anyone to beat this at that level without some kind of in play catch to change the tide?