PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating the rarity of a homebrewed magic wand

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 11:03 AM
So one of my players (kid cousin who usually plays barbarians and has had sixty percent of the character deaths in my campaign) wants to switch it up and play a necromancer. Since he'll be coming in at level 14, I'm granting him an uncommon magic wand.

However, I am not liking the DMG's options. So would either of these be appropriate for an uncommon level magic item? Or workable towards one?

Wand of Resentment
Option A. When you miss a target with a spell attack, you gain advantage on the next spell attack you make against that same target.
-or-
Option B. This wand has 1d6 charges. As a bonus action prior to casting a spell attack, you may expend one of the charges to gain advantage on that spell attack. The charges reset at dusk.

Preliminary reflections: if A is too powerful for an uncommon, I may add a line that you may not gain advantage against the same target two turns in a row through the wand (I.e., turn 1: miss regular, turn 2: miss despite advantage, turn 3: normal). If B is too powerful for an uncommon, I will reduce the die to a d4.

Zman
2016-08-11, 11:21 AM
Option A is balanced, I would even gain advantage until you hit that target. Without a static modifiery it is just fine. Though, I'd be tempted to say only one target could be targeted by the want at a time, as soon as it misses a new target, that is the target of Resentment.

I think its cool, feels awesome, and is about right powerwise.

BiPolar
2016-08-11, 11:25 AM
I like option A, but I think having it always grant advantage after a miss is too powerful. Maybe must be recharged during a short rest or long rest to use again?

Zman
2016-08-11, 11:37 AM
I like option A, but I think having it always grant advantage after a miss is too powerful. Maybe must be recharged during a short rest or long rest to use again?

Not sure it is too powerful, as long as it resets on a hit it is fine. If you look at a two round scenario, it is an ~8% increase in damage on average and only a +9% increase in damage when we do the math out.

So, against the average AC scenario, ie needing an 8 to hit it offers a 9% increase in Damage(well slightly more as I didn't count the added crit chance). That doesn't seem like that much of an increase in damage as a simple +1 to hit is usually a 7.7% increase in damage for a weapon before you factor in any damage modifier.

BiPolar
2016-08-11, 11:43 AM
Not sure it is too powerful, as long as it resets on a hit it is fine. If you look at a two round scenario, it is an ~8% increase in damage on average and only a +9% increase in damage when we do the math out.

So, against the average AC scenario, ie needing an 8 to hit it offers a 9% increase in Damage(well slightly more as I didn't count the added crit chance). That doesn't seem like that much of an increase in damage as a simple +1 to hit is usually a 7.7% increase in damage for a weapon before you factor in any damage modifier.

Fair enough -you definitely understand the math better than I :)

It just seemed like getting advantage after every miss is a lot, but if the reality doesn't agree, i'll go with reality.

I also kind of liked the idea of having one target of resentment/SR. What might be interesting is if there's a minor flaw to the wand that starts to make the PC resentful. I mean, if it's creating 'resentment' after each miss, that's gonna stack up mentally!

Maxor
2016-08-11, 12:06 PM
I'm not certain I like option a by itself so I'm going to steal option B and add it to A.

Wand of Resentment, This wand is an arcane focus, and must be bound to a character by being in their possession for a full nights rest before use. When spell attack is resolved as a miss the wielder has the option to expend charges of the wand as a free action before the end of the next turn. All uses of the wand must include the missed target as a target of the spell modified by the charges

When one charge is used a +2 bonus is added to the attack roll for the modified spell. When two charges are used advantage is gained for resolving attack rolls on the spell modified. When three charges are used the modified spell gains advantage and a +2 bonus to hit is applied.

The wand has 10 charges and recharges 1d4+1 charges on a long rest. The wands charges are not automatically known to the wielder though an Identify spell or knowledge arcane check dc 17 reveals the current charges.

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-11, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm liking the idea of combining the charges with the miss aspect. But I'd put a slight twist on it...

Wand of Resentment (requires attunement by a full non-warlock caster)
This wand has 6 charges, regaining 1d6 each dawn. When you target a single enemy with a spell attack and miss, you can expend one charge from the wand to gain advantage on your subsequent spell attacks against the same target. The advantage gained from this one charge remains in play this way until you either hit the target, the target is no longer conscious, the encounter ends, or you cast a spell that is not a single target attack. The next time you miss a target with a single target spell attack, you may expend another charge to gain the same benefits, until all of the day's charges are spent.

Follow-up point: I know this wand isn't all that OP, but is it too OP (either in this posting or the original) for an uncommon item?