PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Kerrigan...From the Starcraft Series

Floorlock
2016-08-11, 12:58 PM
Hey Playground. I'm someone who doesn't post very often...though, I do lurk on occasion to scour for advise. Today I come with a very straight-forward question for advice: How would one go about creating a character in the stylings of Sarah Kerrigan from the Starcraft Series?

One of my players essentially wants to play this very concept. For clarification...I think we're talking post Zergification. If not queen of blades...at least Kerrigan throughout the beginning of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm...in which she was essentially a psychic monk.
Here's a video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdU3to6g8A

I don't think I've seen anything to combine the physical brutality of Kerrigan with her powers as well. Are there any psychic monks out there?
I looked at the awakened mystic class from the unearthed arcana...but, it's just not what I'm talking about. No telekinesis or anything. Is there any way to potentially build this at all? If not from the released material...is there any good homebrew out there that can fill the void? How would one go about this? Or is the only conclusion to just not go through with it?

Draken
2016-08-11, 03:31 PM
Unearthed Arcana's Mystic (the up and coming psionic class) sounds about right.

One thing to note is that Kerrigan would also have exceptionally high ability scores across the board.

uraniumrooster
2016-08-11, 03:54 PM
A Great Old One Warlock (the patron could be a zerg-like hive mind) with the Blade Pact could be pretty close. Potentially multi-class with Shadow Monk for synergy with Devil's Sight, although it would limit weapon options.

James warden
2016-08-11, 04:35 PM
I agree with these points

8wGremlin
2016-08-11, 05:44 PM
https://youtu.be/wX9EIL0LEK8?t=100

Winged tiefling, warlock?

Finlam
2016-08-11, 05:46 PM
Unearthed Arcana's Mystic (the up and coming psionic class) sounds about right.

One thing to note is that Kerrigan would also have exceptionally high ability scores across the board.

I second this.

It doesn't help that the mystic can make a better monk than the actual monk class.

If you want pre-zerg Kerrigan, playing the mystic and picking up the feat sharpshooter paired with the power of Augmented Weapon to make an extremely potent ranged character. Add in Celerity and few other nifty abilities (such as the ability to fight invisible creatures, in total darkness, or while blindfolded via the third eye power), then all you're really missing is the at will invis. Add in a few levels of warlock or wizard to pick up the extras and you're good to go. warlock works well since the mystic only has 1 good disipline that even allows a save; if you're not interested in that discipline, int can be a dump stat.

To give you a brief idea of what mystic brings to the table by level 5:
*Ability to turn any weapon into a +3 weapon as a bonus action
*Ability to add up to 5d10 to any melee hit
*blindsense for free or truesight for 5pp
*impose disadvantage on an attack against you and deal damage if it hits
*free temp hp every round
*Ability to increase move speed by 30ft and provoke no attacks of opportunity the rest of the round, as a bonus action
*advantage on initiative and spend 1pp to never be surprised

A mystic can do all of this by level 5. They are better monks than the monk class which is essentially just a mobile stunning effect anyway.

Shining Wrath
2016-08-11, 06:15 PM
Apropos very little, I went to high school with the woman who was the voice actor for Kerrigan.

8wGremlin
2016-08-11, 06:20 PM
If Zerg then Feral winged tiefling, (+2 dex, and +1 int) flight 30' skin colour change the works.
Unearthed Arcana's Mystic fits perfectly.

Floorlock
2016-08-11, 07:41 PM
I second this.

It doesn't help that the mystic can make a better monk than the actual monk class.

If you want pre-zerg Kerrigan, playing the mystic and picking up the feat sharpshooter paired with the power of Augmented Weapon to make an extremely potent ranged character. Add in Celerity and few other nifty abilities (such as the ability to fight invisible creatures, in total darkness, or while blindfolded via the third eye power), then all you're really missing is the at will invis. Add in a few levels of warlock or wizard to pick up the extras and you're good to go. warlock works well since the mystic only has 1 good disipline that even allows a save; if you're not interested in that discipline, int can be a dump stat.

To give you a brief idea of what mystic brings to the table by level 5:
*Ability to turn any weapon into a +3 weapon as a bonus action
*Ability to add up to 5d10 to any melee hit
*blindsense for free or truesight for 5pp
*impose disadvantage on an attack against you and deal damage if it hits
*free temp hp every round
*Ability to increase move speed by 30ft and provoke no attacks of opportunity the rest of the round, as a bonus action
*advantage on initiative and spend 1pp to never be surprised

A mystic can do all of this by level 5. They are better monks than the monk class which is essentially just a mobile stunning effect anyway.

You're doing quite the job of convincing me. I had previously looked over the psionics class and dismissed it...but, now I'm not so sure that I should have. The Awakened Mystic seems to have a lot of cool stuff on the table. The only thing that makes me kinda sad about this...is that it seems to lack two of the specific things I was looking for to make this work: Unarmed attacks and especially baseline psychic abilities...mainly Telekinesis. :-/ The only other option I found was a jedi homebrew option for monks:
http://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/136348883635/way-of-the-jedi-monk-by-spiketaildrake

But, even that I'm not sure about. It gives some psychic flavor to monks...sure...but, I don't know if it hits quite right or not.
I'm taking everything that all of you are saying into consideration, though. Kinda trying to sort through all the options.