PDA

View Full Version : How balance is this

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 01:20 PM
The warlocks invocation the push people back. If it changes it from pushing to tripping. I understand that it's cutting the person's speed in half but they'll be prone so that disadvantage on any other EB after the first hit. But it can be a little ridiculous with a group of people if you have more then one eb blast. What do ya'll think.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-11, 01:23 PM
It's too much. You're giving every melee fighter in your party Advantage against them, no save required, as a rider effect on an already-powerful hit.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 01:33 PM
It's too much. You're giving every melee fighter in your party Advantage against them, no save required, as a rider effect on an already-powerful hit.

I was thinking it was to op. I'm creating a Blastlock for my next character. The concept is he's a sniper with EB stay back as far as possible. Watching over the battle field using message to tell my party any thing I see. My arcane focus is a early rifle but the barrel is a crystal which is how it a focus. I picture people getting knocked on there ass instead of getting pushed back but that might be to op.

RickAllison
2016-08-11, 01:36 PM
I was thinking it was to op. I'm creating a Blastlock for my next character. The concept is he's a sniper with EB stay back as far as possible. Watching over the battle field using message to tell my party any thing I see. My arcane focus is a early rifle but the barrel is a crystal which is how it a focus. I picture people getting knocked on there ass instead of getting pushed back but that might be to op.

How about instead setting up an invocation where he could use Battlemaster Maneuvers with his spells? It would have to be tweaked around, but it would give you the kind of ability you want while lowering the power level.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 02:37 PM
How about instead setting up an invocation where he could use Battlemaster Maneuvers with his spells? It would have to be tweaked around, but it would give you the kind of ability you want while lowering the power level.

Tactical knowledge: you gain two superiority dice. Your superiority dice are d6. You also learn two maneuvers from the battlemaster maneuver list. You regain any used superiority dice after a short or long rest. Whenever you make a attack roll you may use a superiority dice to add it to the attack.

RickAllison
2016-08-11, 02:43 PM
Tactical knowledge: you gain two superiority dice. Your superiority dice are d6. You also learn two maneuvers from the battlemaster maneuver list. You regain any used superiority dice after a short or long rest.

Don't forget to add that the maneuvers gained through this invocation can be used with spell attacks in addition to weapon attacks. Also that the DC should probably switch to Charisma rather than Strength/Dexterity. But otherwise I like it. Might need to tweak numbers (like I think the die size is good, but I might add more dice. Would take some playtesting).

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 02:48 PM
Don't forget to add that the maneuvers gained through this invocation can be used with spell attacks in addition to weapon attacks. Also that the DC should probably switch to Charisma rather than Strength/Dexterity. But otherwise I like it. Might need to tweak numbers (like I think the die size is good, but I might add more dice. Would take some playtesting).

That's why I worded attack roll instead of a weapon attack roll so I can work for ranged spells melee attacks or range weapon attacks or even melee spell attack. As long as your making a attack roll you my use a superiority dice With It. Giving it a second thought I'm probably going to have to tweak the Maneuvers because then you're able to stack a maneuver on top of a hex that or I might just come up with some specialty Maneuvers just for this invocation.

RickAllison
2016-08-11, 02:53 PM
That's why I worded attack roll instead of a weapon attack roll so I can work for ranged spells melee attacks or range weapon attacks or even melee spell attack. As long as your making a attack roll you my use a superiority dice With It. Giving it a second thought I'm probably going to have to tweak the Maneuvers because then you're able to stack a maneuver on top of a hex that or I might just come up with some specialty Maneuvers just for this invocation.

I think the standard set by the UA archetypes that use it is that they get their own list of maneuvers that contain the changes.

Just saying "attack roll" doesn't actually help much. Some trigger on hitting, some on the actual roll, and some by other circumstances.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm appearing critical, I just like to make sure that everything functions as intended and I'm sometimes overly blunt.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 03:39 PM
I think the standard set by the UA archetypes that use it is that they get their own list of maneuvers that contain the changes.

Just saying "attack roll" doesn't actually help much. Some trigger on hitting, some on the actual roll, and some by other circumstances.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm appearing critical, I just like to make sure that everything functions as intended and I'm sometimes overly blunt.

No problem

James warden
2016-08-11, 04:43 PM
I would recommend this forum to my friends

Kane0
2016-08-11, 04:45 PM
Just add a new invocation.
Suppressing blast
Requirements: Warlock level 5, repelling blast invocation
If you hit the same creature with your repelling blast twice with the same casting that creature must also succeed on a strength saving throw (DC equal to your spell DC) or be knocked prone.

Viola! Provides barrier for entry, chance of failure and opportunity cost. Also doesnt swamp your DM with tons of rolls when your turn comes around.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-11, 09:03 PM
Suppressing blast
If you hit the same creature with your repelling blast twice with the same casting that creature must also succeed on a strength saving throw (DC equal to your spell DC) or be knocked prone.

Viola! Provides barrier for entry, chance of failure and opportunity cost. Also doesnt swamp your DM with tons of rolls when your turn comes around.

That pretty cool

Elminster298
2016-08-11, 11:06 PM
Suppressing blast

I would certainly allow this in any game I DM. I might actually ask the DM of one of the games where I play an Eldritch knight/bladelock if he will allow it as well.

eldamir
2016-08-12, 12:01 AM
Suppressing blast

I'd buy that one

Kane0
2016-08-12, 02:51 AM
Aw shucks guys, it weren't nothin special

Elminster298
2016-08-12, 05:45 PM
Aw shucks guys, it weren't nothin special

It absolutely fits with the character concept I'm playing. Will end up(if the game goes the full term) as a fey bladelock 12/ Eldritch knight 8 with warcaster and crossbow expert(errata allows for attack spells in melee range). Character based on the Ironman style of fighting using repelling Eldritch blast to simulate pulse blasts. The ability to trip and repel would fit so well with the picture I have in my mind.

Dalebert
2016-08-12, 08:44 PM
Watching over the battle field using message to tell my party any thing I see.

Remember Message is a spell so it takes your action to use to speak to one person. May not be that useful in a battle. It feels like an out-of-combat utility spell to me like when you're scouting ahead or doing spy work.

RickAllison
2016-08-12, 08:56 PM
Remember Message is a spell so it takes your action to use to speak to one person. May not be that useful in a battle. It feels like an out-of-combat utility spell to me like when you're scouting ahead or doing spy work.

Indeed. Rary's Telepathic Bond is the spell that allows for more instantaneous communication, while Message is more for directing a battlefield (guide the sergeants into more advantageous positions or to set up spell casters and other special abilities).