PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for ideas on "dark blessings"

Specter
2016-08-11, 01:49 PM
So long story short, the second part of my campaign will feature six main antagonists who have recovered an evil artifact and received a "dark gift", which remains as long as they continue to kill. I need some ideas on what to give some of them.

Here's what I have so far:

BRENNUS (Illusionist 15)
Master of the Unreal - Illusions created by you can't be dispelled or dismissed with attacks

CYGAN - (Oathbreaker Paladin 15)
???????

DODJA - Hunter 8/Assassin 7
????????

EDESSA (Lore Bard 15)
Dirgesinger: All dead humanoid bodies within one mile of you raise as zombies after ten minutes of singing

FIRELLI (Battlemaster 15)
?????????

What I'm looking for is not necessarily stuff to use in battle, but stuff that makes them more powerful in general (and don't worry, my expert murderer team can handle them).
Any ideas?

Reathin
2016-08-11, 01:57 PM
So long story short, the second part of my campaign will feature six main antagonists who have recovered an evil artifact and received a "dark gift", which remains as long as they continue to kill. I need some ideas on what to give some of them.

BRENNUS (Illusionist 15)
Master of the Unreal - Illusions created by you can't be dispelled or dismissed with attacks

???????

????????

EDESSA (Lore Bard 15)
Dirgesinger: All dead humanoid bodies within one mile of you raise as zombies after ten minutes of singing

?????????

What I'm looking for is not necessarily stuff to use in battle, but stuff that makes them more powerful in general (and don't worry, my expert murderer team can handle them).
Any ideas?

For Dodja...

Lethality: Boosts the DC of Death Attack by +4 and requires only one found of observation, rather than three. This works nicely on a few levels. Instant death attacks are usually pretty terrifying, but three rounds of charging up makes them fairly useless in a fight. This puts the bite back in it without being truly spammable every round. Assuming the assasin has a means of re-establishing surprise of course (one more level would have gotten you Hide In Plain Sight).

As a catch, it's insanely addictive. "Dark" gift, after all. This might also let the PC's have a chance to see it in action on an NPC, giving them fair warning that the usual timer doesn't apply and they'd better take it seriously.

Note: I'm not sure if DnD 5th uses the same rules for assassin's, so grain of salt here.

Goodberry
2016-08-11, 02:44 PM

BRENNUS (Illusionist 15)

???????

????????

EDESSA (Lore Bard 15)

?????????

Any ideas?

Cygan - Curse of the Forsaken One:

Cygan's Divine Smite deals necrotic damage and the target cannot receive healing from divine spells until he or she takes a short rest. Remove Curse or similar magic can dispel this effect.

Firelli - Inspiration through Intimidation:

Firelli's allies fear him more than they do any enemy. As long as Firelli is within 60 feet, all allies add his Charisma bonus to any saving throws or opposed ability checks involving Wisdom or Charisma.

NecroDancer
2016-08-11, 03:11 PM

Cygan's Divine Smite deals necrotic damage and the target cannot receive healing from divine spells until he or she takes a short rest. Remove Curse or similar magic can dispel this effect.

Firelli's allies fear him more than they do any enemy. As long as Firelli is within 60 feet, all allies add his Charisma bonus to any saving throws or opposed ability checks involving Wisdom or Charisma.

Seems Dece

Specter
2016-08-11, 04:40 PM

Sounds like a good way to go. I'd have Firelli's allies have advantage instead of Charisma added, I guess.

Dungeon-noob
2016-08-13, 09:24 AM

That seems nice, but i'm not sure it's as powerfull as some of the other ones. I'd say that+you do bonus damage "to any servants of the gods" or just against the gods that you now oppose. That also adds some flavor and a good reason for a rivalry between Cygan and the party cleric/paladin.

Corran
2016-08-13, 09:40 AM
Dodja: Give him etherealness, perhaps only 1-2/day though. What good is an assassin if he cannot surprise his enemies anywhere, or if he cannot bolt it when things go bad for him so that he can attempt a coup another time, after preparing better?

Cygan: Giive him the mounted combat feat, some cool weapons (including a lance), and an appropriate mount. I would go with some type of dragon (age depending on the intended CR of the fight). Extra points if it is an undead dragon.

Firelli: This guy does not have any special and/or cool abilities. What this guy has, is an army. An actual army!:smalltongue: And have him use his forces very efficiently, have him be a badass strategist. His triket, what else.... a king chess pawn!!!
Edit: Reread the op, I guess my suggestion for Firelli is not on point. But consider downplaying whatever special feature you give him, I find it very original having this guy's main benefit be having command over a standing army.
Edit2: Or perhaps have his dark boon be that he gained the ability to be the perfect warlord, and thus have him use his forces in the most effective way yoy can think of.