PDA

View Full Version : [Empire 2!] Private - Under the Dome

PepperP.
2016-08-11, 02:57 PM
This is a private role play thread for members of the League of Allied Provinces in Empire 2. If you are a player in Empire 2, but not a League member, please stop reading here. If you are not a player in Empire 2! Stop by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494142-EMPIRE2!-CWBG-V-It-s-Mostly-Chicken-Based-Actually) to join up, we're always accepting new players. :smallsmile:

Academy of Puldine
Pearson and Anders Asker

Pearson bent over the large wooden table further as if he meant to meld with it as a way to discourage his wife's incessant conversation. The table was strewn with all manner of arcane paraphernalia. An alembic bubbled with a pale blue liquid and he carefully removed it from over the charcoal that glowed in a shallow dish. He studied the liquid closely and began to take careful notes written in a precise hand.

"But Pearson, they have begun to ration the food." His wife was not to be deterred by his obvious attempts at concentration. She emphasized her words with a firm slap of her hand upon his table. The alembic rattled and Pearson straightened, flustered at his wife's continued persistence to disrupt his work. He threw down his pen in frustration.

"Yes, I know they have begun to ration food, a sensible precaution I'd say. Do you expect me to conjure food from the air?" He waved his hands in the air in exasperation.

"What do you think I'm doing here? I am trying to discover a way to control the blue field so that we may pass through it, but I can not as long as you insist on hounding me!" He hissed, unaware that he had raised his voice and his fellows had looked up from their own worktables at the ruckus.

"Now please go and let me work!" He ran his hands through his hair, untidying it and lending his demeanor a manic air. He did not see the tears that welled in Lacey's eyes at the dismissal, or the fear that was evident upon her fair face as she turned to leave the Arcanum laboratory. Another man, twin to her husband stopped her as he passed her in the doorway, a look of concern upon his face.

"He's impossible." Were the only words spoken to her brother in law as she continued past to find comfort with her sister in law. Anders sidled up to his brother, who was studiously ignoring him and calming himself with immersion in copious note taking. When he was quite sure his brother was not going to leave him be without a conversation, he let loose a long suffering sigh and placed his notebook down on the table, rubbing his forehead which had begun to ache.

"Yes? You're in quite late." He said somewhat acerbically and without pretext, still rubbing his forehead.

"I spent the morning with Lala, I find it comforts her if we dine at breakfast together." His smile was innocent but Pearson scowled at his brother's implicit reprimand, ashamed that he had not been spending the night with his wife, preferring to sleep in the study near the lab in case inspiration struck him in the early hours of the morning.

"Time better spent at work." Pearson stubbornly insisted. Anders shrugged and motioned to the chaos strewn about the table.

"And how fares the work?" Pearson visibly brightened and scratched his beard that had begun to grow in over the last several days that he had neglected to shave it.

"Pretty well, I think I'm making real progress here." As he spoke, the blue liquid within the alembic turned into an acrid grey smoke and dissipated with a whoosh into the air. Pearson sighed with dejection and Anders clapped him on the shoulders in consolation before he moved to see if the others fared any better and Pearson opened his notebook to test out his next theory.

Aedilred
2016-08-11, 05:24 PM
Outside the barrier

Lord Magister Jagiella pinched the bridge of his nose as the explanation of the failure of the latest attempt droned on. The Academy produced some brilliant people, but also a number who were apparently incapable at distinguishing the pertinent from the inconsequential. Or at least, incapable of distinguishing what he deemed pertinent and inconsequential.

"Yes, thank you," he eventually interrupted. "Please keep us informed of any future attempts you plan to make."

He glanced around the room. "Any other suggestions?"

"Here's one." Karapan Morvarid leaned forward, slightly. "Round up a few thousand Prevaz and kill them in front of the Academy. When we run out we can start on the Primals."

Jagiella stared at her. "How is that supposed to help?"

Morvarid shrugged. "My troops are bored and it would help to pass the time."

"Are you taking this seriously?"

"Yes. Are you?" She stood. "That shield has proven itself impervious to any weapons at my disposal, which means my troops and I are about as useful here as a granite window. But inside that shield are the heirs to the Ambrose Ascendancy, and the biggest single collection of knowledge and expertise in the League, not to mention military secrets. So we can't leave, in case this is enemy action. In the meantime I thought I would be best served reminding you ladies and gentlemen that there is a degree of urgency here. We don't have time to write theses and test their precepts over a period of years. At best we have days to penetrate that shield, and at worst hours. Anything I can do to impress that upon you seems worthwhile."

Jagiella grunted, as if conceding the point, and was about to turn his attentions back to the non-military personnel present when a young woman rustled into the tent.

"My Lord, I have been sent to inform you that the Lismis has docked, and Lord Magister Toja will be here within the hour to offer his counsel." She bowed and retreated, leaving a moment of stunned silence in her wake.

"Well then, I suppose we'd better start rounding up Prevaz," Jagiella muttered. "It's the sanest idea we're going to hear for the foreseeable future."