PDA

View Full Version : Original System Plane of Magic, A Roleplaying/4x/Wargame Hybrid

EvilBarrels
2016-08-11, 10:33 PM
A few weeks ago I started a blog where I'm posting rules and lore for a homebrewed strategy roleplaying/4X/Wargame hybrid, called Plane of Magic.

The blog can be found here (https://planeofmagic.wordpress.com/). There's not much content right now, I've only been writing for a few weeks. The game in its current state is playable, but only barely. This should change over time as I write more content, I’ve been sticking to three posts per week. However, I might start doing two posts, and one on my Patreon page.

No one reads the Patreon page, but it still needs content. If there’s no posts, people can’t start reading them. I’ve decided I’ll use that space to post smaller projects.

Feel free to leave suggestions and requests for future topics. I truly have no idea what people want to read, so you feedback will go a long way to improve my work.

Plane of Magic is a game made for versatility: You manage empires like a 4x, fight battles like a wargame, and handle diplomacy and espionage through roleplay.

As a result of this versatility, it can also be run in many different ways: You can get a GM to run the world for traditional play, use the terrain and army creation systems to fight one off battles, or get some friends together to cooperatively build an empire in a completely randomised universe.

Of course, it'll probably be a while before you can do most of those things. The rules for wargaming will probably be written fairly quickly, while the 4x rules will appear over time.

Roleplaying doesn't have many rules. It should become more playable the more I post about the world and culture of the Plane of Magic.

I hope you can bear wit me while I get all of this sorted out. As far as I know, I'm the first person ever to start a blog like this. There are no footsteps to follow, I can't learn from other people's mistakes. And knowing me, I'm going to make a lot.

JNAProductions
2016-08-14, 07:48 PM
Seems interesting. Any chance we can get a general summary here in the playground?

EvilBarrels
2016-08-15, 12:17 AM
Seems interesting. Any chance we can get a general summary here in the playground?

I added a gameplay summary to the first post. If that wasn't what you meant, I'm happy to change it again.

JNAProductions
2016-08-15, 11:09 AM
I added a gameplay summary to the first post. If that wasn't what you meant, I'm happy to change it again.

It's a bit sparse on details-and I'm having some trouble navigating the blog. So... Sorta? I'm just trying to get an understanding of what you've got so far and am having trouble.

EvilBarrels
2016-08-17, 11:01 PM
I've been having trouble coming up with a suitable summary for Plane of Magic. Like I said, it's built for versatility; each person who's helped with playtesting played a different game.

For one player, Plane of Magic was an empire management sim. The main gameplay was just rolling the dice and dealing with whatever problem arose. I sometimes threw in handmade puzzles and encounters, but it was mostly random. Their empire became so large that one "turn" would take multiple sessions to complete.

For another, it was a game of backstabbing and espionage. They served as an assassin, although, I don't think they ended up killing anyone. They managed to get themselves paid off by both sides to assassinate both leaders, then blackmailed each of them for more money and retired.

One tim,e I managed to get a group of willing guinea pigs playtesters together. They sieged a massive mountain fortress, won, then died in a massive PvP battle to decide who got to keep it.

I can't easily give a summary of Plane of Magic, it's a massive project.

I've updated the blog to include an index, this should help with navigation.