PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Fresh Perspectives Needed (Homebrew System)

Crazysaneman
2016-08-12, 08:29 AM
Good morning/afternoon/evening inhabitants of the playground,

I come to you today in search of fresh perspectives. Some time ago, I decided I was going to substantially homebrew much of the d20 system in a way that makes sense to myself and my playing group. The overall goal and mechanics of the homebrew system are largely irrelevant for the purposes of this post. The design I have in place allows the person playing to design almost anything that they could want to play, free of many of the constraints that traditional systems impose. They achieve this at each reward level in the form of spending "feats" to gain "ability training". This training could be in the form of many things. Class abilites (favored enemies, rage, sneak attack dice, spellcasting, etc...), feats (power attack, metamagic, skill focus, etc...), racial abilities (darkvision, terrain bonuses, specific magic school affinity, etc...) you get the idea. Let's not get hung up on the details. Seriously. This allows for a wide variety of character options. Want to play one of the Elric brothers? Fine. Master Chief? Ok. Want to run Pharah and Ana with you're spouse? Do it. Ezpz.

I have been tinkering with it for so long it's gone from a light hobby to a kind of sick obsession.

Everything has to work somehow.

What I need from you is you're hopes and dreams. I need ideas of abilities, weapon properties, named items, artifacts, unique races, skills, anything. Think of you're favorite character, be it from a video game, book, anime, manga, whatever. Think of a signature ability from anything. Think of a weapon, feat, skill, spell, magic system whatever... literally anything will work. Think of a character you've always wanted to play in any system ever. Tell me about it. What makes it cool? how does it work? What's the story behind him/her/it/them? Tell me about you're favorite book, game, comic, anything. The more ideas get tossed around the more I can tinker with. My group has been pretty much picked clean.

Things I have pretty much covered: (D&D 3.x + Pathfinder Core stuff)(Generic fantasy races. This includes lycanthropes, vamps, elves, major fey, major goblinoids, basic chromatic and metallic dragons)

TLDR;
I have a system I'm working on and I need fresh ideas for literally anything you can imagine in a game, book, comic, movie etc...

Thanks for the ideas, no matter how big or small :)

If the idea is straight forward (example: armor made of bone) or well known (like megaman's cannon - thanks PapaQuackers, or the Diablo 2 Bone Armor spell) then the name and it's origin will suffice.
If the idea is something more vague (like the ninja scroll wire communication) something more descriptive would be nice. Or a link. Whatever.

You folks and the love of the hobby are the reason I keep at it. Keeps me from going mad with boredom :smallamused:.

PapaQuackers
2016-08-12, 08:41 AM
Reserving a spot to lay my load of hopes and dreams on you.

Could you tell me exactly how specific you want me to be? For example should I just say...

Megaman Arm Cannon?

Or should I say

A particle weapon grafted onto an exoskeleton of a cyborg individual who grows and adapts by defeating his enemies. This weapon alters properties depending on who you've previously defeated and by focusing for a few rounds can harness the power of his enemies. On top of that the particle cannon can be charged for a number of rounds to deal a massive burst of damage. The resources for this weapon are limited and it must be replenished frequently through various means in order to use it's unique effects.

Crazysaneman
2016-08-12, 08:48 AM
Reserving a spot to lay my load of hopes and dreams on you.

Could you tell me exactly how specific you want me to be? For example should I just say...

Megaman Arm Cannon?

Or should I say

A particle weapon grafted onto an exoskeleton of a cyborg individual who grows and adapts by defeating his enemies. This weapon alters properties depending on who you've previously defeated and by focusing for a few rounds can harness the power of his enemies. On top of that the particle cannon can be charged for a number of rounds to deal a massive burst of damage. The resources for this weapon are limited and it must be replenished frequently through various means in order to use it's unique effects.

Either is good. Funny enough Megaman is one of my favorite classic NES games and I can't believe I didn't think to pull something from there. Like evolving weapons, exoskeletons, and tech upgrades :smallbiggrin:. Going to amend post to reflect what is needed. Thanks :)

PapaQuackers
2016-08-12, 09:02 AM
Welp, I might as well run down the classics then.

Ki/Spiritual Pressure/Chakra/Inner Energy that justifies near impossible things like literally all the time in every medium.

Metagenes that allow people to have amazing abilities like healing factors, flight, super speed, X-Men style.

Anthropomorphic animal monsters that dispense immense of wisdom and are logistical nightmares if you really think about how on earth they function for too long. Master Splinter/Ninja Turtles

Alternate forms of life that aren't capable of being seen by the average humans but those with high spiritual awareness have come together in a secret coalition to keep them in check for centuries.

Alien life forms that in inexplicably become impossibly powerful just because of really normal atmospheric conditions on earth like a Yellow Sun.

Runes of power left behind by an ancient civilization discovered by a power hungry archaeologist that allows him phenomenal cosmic power.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-12, 05:07 PM
Here's a handful from another branch of fantasy...

Giant gemstones with the power to give people mystical personas, which come with invulnerable clothing and skills to match.
Elaborate personal rituals by which the vile and wicked may come to terms with their choices, and turn darkness to hallowed light.
Sextuple-wielding giants who spout meme-worthy quotes before diving headfirst into battle, possibly atop a big bridge.
Stones made from the spirits of magical creatures, from which their power can be called forth once more.
Gigantic cannons powered by pure soulstuff, refined from the mystical gasses that permeate a magical world.
Temporal witchcraft as a twisted curse that passes inevitably from one innocent young woman to the next, driving them inescapably mad.
Castles that transform into giant robot golems to do battle with equally-giant summoned monsters.
Fantastical sporting events that stand at that strange middle ground between soccer, hockey, and water polo.
Churches that are corrupt to the bone, but nevertheless hold the power to endow their faithful with Holy power and privilege.
Children who come from "the real world" (the smug pricks) but somehow are really hardcore at fantastical combat.
Evil wizard-samurai mob bosses with the power to bar Judges from administering the Laws of Battle.

I'll see if I can think of any more in a bit.

qazzquimby
2016-08-13, 08:00 PM
Just spend a few hours on tvtropes. I'm pretty sure you can quickly find masses of ideas there.