PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Room ideas

Laserlight
2016-08-12, 10:38 AM
Here's a room the players liked:

Party of five, including a warlock with Devil's Sight, enters a temple dedicated to gods of darkness. They come to a door beyond which no light penetrates; the lock can see that there's a passageway which turns left, then right. The party advances cautiously, barbarian in the lead and warlock behind him.

At this point, "Everyone except the lock, turn your chairs around and face away from the table."

The passage opens onto a large room with statues along the walls (typical for this sort of temple) and the floor is dotted with about twenty 5x5ft pits randomly placed, plus a couple of fire pits. When four statues attack, the lock is frantically trying to give directions: "Fighter, left ten feet, right ten feet, attack ahead!" and "Barbarian, come to my voice and go just past me." And only the fighter had military training, so when anyone else turns left or right, there's a chance of turning 45° or 135° instead of 90°.

For extra fun: no one except the barbarian understands the lock's language, and the lock's telepathy is limited to 30ft range.

Once the battle was over and people could look at the map, several people said "I have no idea how I got over there." The rogue got turned around so badly that he stumbled out the first door, thinking he was going into the main room. And the warlock was so frazzled that it was four rounds before he thought to mention "Guys, don't just move around--there are pit traps!"

Corran
2016-08-12, 11:03 AM
Here's a room the players liked:
At this point, "Everyone except the lock, turn your chairs around and face away from the table."
AWESOME!!!
Oh, how I have missed playing with a battlemat.....

And only the fighter had military training, so when anyone else turns left or right, there's a chance of turning 45° or 135° instead of 90°.
Hmmm, I would thing that being familiar with fighting under such extreme conditions does not fall squarely under the average fighter's military training. I mean, irl, such a skill (operating under extreme conditions) could be the difference between the average soldier and a special forces one, or between the average cop and a swat unit. And I would also think that a rogue (depending on what kind of rogue we are talking about, doesnt have to do with subclasses or build so much as with character backstory) would have an equal claim to that of a fighter as well.

JeffreyGator
2016-08-12, 11:15 AM
Hmmm, I would thing that being familiar with fighting under such extreme conditions does not fall squarely under the average fighter's military training. I mean, irl, such a skill (operating under extreme conditions) could be the difference between the average soldier and a special forces one, or between the average cop and a swat unit. And I would also think that a rogue (depending on what kind of rogue we are talking about, doesnt have to do with subclasses or build so much as with character backstory) would have an equal claim to that of a fighter as well.

PC -fighter as compared to guard etc NPC is probably similar to SF/SWAT vs average Soldier.

That being said the training for most Soldiers includes plenty of D&C to make exact turns, move and follow directions well.

Laserlight
2016-08-12, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, I would thing that being familiar with fighting under such extreme conditions does not fall squarely under the average fighter's military training.

Nobody was trained for "fighting in the dark"; however, the fighter could make reasonably precise "left face" and "right face" turns because of his background as a sergeant in a pike battalion (where marching drill is extremely important). If his military career had been as a gunner, or light cavalryman, he wouldn't have been any better at making those turns than anyone else. For everyone else, I rolled 1d6 for each turn and if it was a 1 or 6, they went left or right of what they'd intended.

The party did better than I expected. Despite being at disadvantage, everyone got some good attacks in, and only one of them was "friendly fire". After a few turns, the warlock described what was going on well enough that the priest decided to cast Fog Cloud to make the guardian statues just as blind as the party. As I had given the statues Devil's Sight rather than Blindsight, this worked. Of course, the party's warlock couldn't see either; he ended up being the only PC to fall into a pit. :smallbiggrin: