PDA

View Full Version : VERY Low Powered One-Off

NerdHut
2016-08-12, 10:51 AM
As I prepare for my full campaign coming up, there are some ideas that pop into my head that I want to try. One in particular would probably work best as a one-off, and at its longest could be a mini-campaign of sorts. I'm looking for input on a very low-powered mission. We're talking mostly core 3.5 and SRD materials, no higher than level 4 or 5, and a point buy of less than 20. What I picture in my head at least is the the trope of some bumbling heroes managing to save the day, despite their shortcomings. Obiviously I'd need to build the encounters to account for lesser abilities, but how does the general concept sound?

Flickerdart
2016-08-12, 10:58 AM
Low PB means everyone goes casters and wins anyway. If you want low power, why not just have a lower level?

AnimeTheCat
2016-08-12, 11:05 AM
I'm not a big fan of dropping point buys to that extreme, I wouldn't go lower than 22 or so personally. Even so, a better way may be limiting what classes can be used. Be sure your people know that it's supposed to be low power and s struggle. Allow things like Bards or healers, but don't allow Clerics/Druids/Sorcerers/etc. You can reasonably cover every role in the group with T3 characters, have a 20-22 point buy system, and still have low power fun. Plus that prevents what Flickerdart pointed out about everyone just playing casters anyway.

NerdHut
2016-08-12, 11:07 AM
Low PB means everyone goes casters and wins anyway.

That might be the problem is everyone does min/max and has complete freedom in their characters. My group isn't all like that.

But another option is premade characters. The last one-off I did used the Temple of Redcliff module and I made several characters from scratch, rather than expect everyone to take a bunch of time to create characters they'll use once. I was expecting 5 players, so I made 8 characters for them to chose from including a Pixie Barbarian, Ibixian Fighter, Gnome Sorceress, and a Dwarf Druid. It went over well, so if an all-caster situation looks like a concern, I can fall back on that.

Really, what I'm asking is, "What do you think would be fun within that system?"

dascarletm
2016-08-12, 11:08 AM
If you want the players to have low stats, give them an array. Low point buys will drive them towards SAD classes that can still function anyway, and punish players that want to play a less powerful class.

(Or give them different ability arrays dependant on what class type they play).

EDIT:

To reply to your question, I think I would go whole-ham into the trying to survive aspect. These characters aren't the grand heroes, but if they struggle and strive enough they can overcome and save the day. Though idk what your player's tastes are.

Theobod
2016-08-13, 08:09 AM
Gonna +1 keeping a decent PB to encourage variety, plus limiting to tier3 and below seems sensible for low power. As for monsters simple tactics, many a big scary threat has been made doable by not using stellar tactics and many a PC has died to weaklings using general level tactics and planning.

Encounters such as goblin bands, a gnoll ambush and monstrous serpents, simple traps that can be avoided with clever play but won't kill outright if triggered and a good old fashioned Ogre as a boss, with a little ranged support. On the note of ranged, unless you have a decent ranged PC, ranged foes can wreck a party, so track ammo and if they don't have a decent one give them only 3-4 bolts a piece or use heavy crossbows, the higher dice isn't so bad considering they can only fire every other round.

CharonsHelper
2016-08-13, 08:20 AM
+1 on using an array.

Just treat them as being a level or so lower than they are and you'll be fine.