PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Cleric Concept - Cleric/Warlock

Ritzblues
2016-08-12, 12:06 PM
So I was discussing with my DM about having a healer for our party of 5 in a new campaign. I would serve as the party's naive fresh cleric with delusions of grandeur, and swiftly get myself killed not too far along in the campaign. I would return as a revenant, hell-bent on taking revenge against the (surprise!) actually-evil deity I once served.

Said revenant would maintain some healing aspects of his origin, under a new god/goddess in addition to taking the Undying Light pact. His purpose would be to provide a "just sufficient" amount of healing to keep the party alive, while being driven to eliminate the corruption that damned him in the first place.

The problem we're dealing with is level progression. I want to take a relatively heavy amount of healing options with me early, which would like only enough to get by later as I eschew healing spells for damage/control spells.

I was thinking 1-2 early levels of Cleric, then the rest in Warlock.

I'm also torn between how to allocate my stats and warlock build proper. Bladelock with Heavy Armor Proficiency seems appealing, but would it be effective?

Citan
2016-08-13, 07:24 AM
So I was discussing with my DM about having a healer for our party of 5 in a new campaign. I would serve as the party's naive fresh cleric with delusions of grandeur, and swiftly get myself killed not too far along in the campaign. I would return as a revenant, hell-bent on taking revenge against the (surprise!) actually-evil deity I once served.

Said revenant would maintain some healing aspects of his origin, under a new god/goddess in addition to taking the Undying Light pact. His purpose would be to provide a "just sufficient" amount of healing to keep the party alive, while being driven to eliminate the corruption that damned him in the first place.

Hi!
It certainly can work. If you plan on keeping Cleric dip as low as possible, considering your concept I would suggest Life Cleric.
This way, even if you put your WIS at the minimum required for multiclassing (13), you still get decent enough healing thanks to the bonus. You also get Heavy Armor proficiency.

If you put your best stats in STR (to start with at least 15) and CHA (to start with at least 16) it should work well. Note that Bladelock can create any weapon he wants and be proficient with it, so he can create heavy two-handed weapons. :)

So, start Life Cleric and use either Sacred Flame at range or any one-handed weapon in melee, using a shield to complement your defense.
Immediately after, start Warlock. Once you get your pact weapon, either keep the S&B stance or switch to two-handed weapon as you wish.

I would still suggest going Cleric up to 3 if you want to be a support for your party. This way, you get a few 1st and 2nd level slots for these spells while you keep the ever-growing Warlock slots for more offensive spells. And 2nd level Cleric spellist gets some nice ones: Blindness, Enhance Ability, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Warding Bond...

Anyways, Sacred Flame will deal decent damage, and if you can use SCAG cantrips, Green Flame Blade seems the ideal choice for your build.