View Full Version : STR Eldritch Knight with DEX Dump

MrCeeJ
2016-08-12, 04:14 PM
Hi All,

New Member, first post.

Just wanted some thoughts as far as a D&D 5E character that I will be rolling with next week.

We are using the DM's idea for custom starting stats:

The idea is to have one pretty good stat and one thing that you're character is really bad at, in the hopes that the group will balance each other out.

I'm rolling a level 1 Human (variant) Pirate Fighter that will pick up EK at level 3 and wields a great sword. The starting Feat is Magic Initiate with the Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and Feather fall. The rest of the group is ranged, so being able to use Booming Blade seemed like it would be helpful and GFB for crowd control-ish.

My stats are:

STR 16
DEX 7
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 14

This character is clearly more about concept than optimization. The idea is an intimidating, clumsy pirate, though very much aware of his surroundings. He is seeking revenge and the pirate persona allows him to do what it necessary to obtain information, however he sees fit, in order to find the people he is looking for (I'm at work, so I'm being a lot more brief about the character's backstory).

The WIS and CHA scores are for the roleplaying side and STR/INT are for the combat (I will eventually do some range magic like frostbite, so INT kind of matters). I'll explain the 10 CON: as I was building the character, it started to make me think of a Dark Knight from FF11. Great sword, magic user, weak defense. Just sounded fun, since that's what I played on FF.

This seems like it'll be a fun character to run, but having such a low DEX makes me uneasy. I'd like this guy to survive and not die too soon just because he can't jump out of the way of things.

What are some problems that you all see me running into with a low DEX build?

I look forward to all ranges of answers that I'll be getting.

nedz
2016-08-12, 04:35 PM
This is the general RP sub-forum. You will get better answers from the 5E sub-forum.

Either re-post, or ask the mods to move this (just report your thread via the red triangle and ask them)

MrCeeJ
2016-08-12, 05:37 PM
Thanks! Just sent the request.