PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Campaign Journal: Ivinare Mafia

TeeHee
2016-08-12, 08:15 PM
If you are currently playing in a Pathfinder Mafia campaign in the San Francisco Bay Area, desist reading immediately in order to ensure no spoilers. You have been warned.

I was reading Silly_Comic's incredible Edrigar Mafia campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189659-PF-GM-Campaign-Journal-Edrigar-Mafia) and I knew I simply had to try to run a campaign of my own. My other campaigns were feeling a little stale and I felt like I was leading the players a little too much so I wanted to try my hand at a more complete sandbox world. I hope Silly_Comic or fans of his campaign journal are not offended as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I tried to make an effort not to copy too much directly from him, and if I do take an idea I will mention it with the account of events.
To be honest I was not even going to post this journal for fear of ridicule or offending anyone, but I think it is impossible to of this sort of campaign without this sort of thing to help remind me.

So without further ado, here is where our fair campaign is set: Many hundreds of years ago, a tribe of nomadic Goliaths roamed the land east of a large lake, alongside a large river. The large lake was on the border of three nations, and thus the lake and surrounding waterways were valuable real estate for traders. Soon, Dwarven merchant families began to negotiate with the chieftain of the Goliaths, promising to make him the wealthiest king of all if he would allow them to build on this land. They kept this promise. Thus, the Free City of Ivinare was born, so named because they were an independent city-state where every race was equal so long as they were a citizen. Across the river, an Elven kingdom rose up: the Grand Principality of Ruvinet. Less pragmatic than the Dwarves, the Elves built a smaller city and left much of the coastline without docks or ports. They were more concerned with the natural beauty of the area as it served as a royal retreat first of all. However, both Ivinare and Rivunet built fortresses on two islands in the middle of the river, serving chiefly as embassies to each other and to enforce trade laws. As the generations went on, the Elven royals became less in touch with their citizens and more concerned with their personal wealth, dressing lavishly and largely ignoring the plights of their people, many of whom were simple serfs. Five years before the present, Ivinare attacked Ruvinet, using reasons ranging from religious differences to ethnic cleansing as justification. Some suspect the powerful and prosperous Dwarven merchant guilds may have had a hand in starting the war in order to gain more riverside land to industrialize the area more and more, but that is speculation at best. Ruvinet's city fell quickly, and with minimal damage to the majority of the city. Now, five years later, most re-construction has finished but large swaths of the northern shore are being renovated and built upon in a mad land grab. The United City of Ivinare is born.

Organized crime has prospered along with the merchant guilds, and they are as eager as they merchants to expand into the new territory. Though there are many small gangs on the North Shore, the two main gangs on the south shore are the Kracks and the Stromms. The Kracks control most of the harsher crimes, such as human trafficking, slavery, and smuggling (which is particularly profitable now because the separate shores of the city. They tend to cater to a more blue collar customer base. The Stromms associate more with the higher classes as they usually deal in the "pleasure" industry, with crimes such as drug trafficking, prostitution, and gambling. Though the two gangs may sometimes have overlapping areas of interest (trafficking prostitutes, for example), they have worked out many deals and seem to be at peace. Both have agreed to stay out of the new territory till now in order to allow businesses and people to rebuild themselves. But now that it's open season, who knows how long a liar's peace will last?

Our Heroes (/Villains)
1. The Kineticist, Human, I think I will call him "the Rock."
A Kineticist specializing in the Aether. Focused on break-ins and that sort of thing. Adopted by mobsters as a child, his secret is that the man he framed for his handler's murder is out of prison and coming for revenge. Full backstory as written by player below:

Delwin “Del” Stone was orphaned at an early age due to unknown circumstances. Del was three, and his original name is unknown. He was found by an old nun named Brigit, with whom he was raised. It was there that he received his first name, Delwin. Delwin primarily stayed in the streets, begging or stealing as soon as he was old enough to know how. Brigit never cared, as the nun was in fact addicted to the drug “Rot,” and was often in debt to the local drug dealers. As long as Delwin brought back some money, she could get her fix. But after a while, even his added copper and silver pieces could not satisfy her cravings, and she fell deep into debt to a local distributer. When Delwin was seven, she was murdered in front of him by Mathers Quickblade. Delwin, who bore no particular love for Brigit, stood by and watched as the thug slit Brigit’s throat. Although he showed no emotion for her at her demise (by his estimate, she was being stupid, Not only was she taking drugs, she couldn’t even keep up to date on her payments), he recognized that he owed her his life, and at this moment began to hold a hidden vendetta for Mathers. A life for a life.

Mathers saw in Delwin a kind of resolve, and brought him back to the house of his boss, Loon Silverbrow. Mathers told Delwin that they were the same. Mather’s grew up as a street urchin, and was close to death when Loon brought him in and raised him, teaching him the ways of the underworld. He said how Loon was a man with lofty connections. He told Delwin that Loon was simply contracted to end Brigit’s life, as it was the only thing she had left worth to give to those to whom she owed money. Loon then assigned Mather’s to the job. Just business. Mathers brought Delwin in to Loon, who decided that Delwin should live with him. It was then that Delwin earned his surname, “Stone,” due to how he reacted to the murder of Brigit.

Delwin then joined the small “family” that Loon was raising. Two other boys. One was Delwin’s age, a sadistic child named Gregor. Gregor enjoyed tormenting the other boy, Lance, who was about two years younger. Delwin began to take a liking to Lance, and see him as his ward, in a sense. For the next ten years, Delwin, Gregor, and Lance underwent a great sort of “education” from their guardian. However, the one thing they never learned about was the history of Loon himself. He kept his business very secret from the boys, and refused to answer questions about his past. If any of the boys became too inquisitive, a beating was sure to follow, for all of them.

When Delwin was 17, he overheard the tail-end of a conversation between Loon and Lance. He heard Lance say something along the lines of “No, no, I won’t! The guards will hear about this!” Lance promptly stormed off. With a sigh, Loon called in Gregor, all the while with Delwin listening from the shadows, and said “This is your test. Lance has become a liability. Take care of him. After he is no longer an issue, I will teach you about who I am.”

Delwin promptly got up and left, determined to find Lance before Gregor. Unfortunately he was too late, and found Lance floating face down in the river, with one of Gregor’s knives in the back of his neck. Anger flaring, Delwin took the knife and went back to Loon’s, were he found Loon and Gregor talking in Loon’s office. He first knocked out Gregor by striking him in the temple using his telekinetic powers and a paperweight. Before Loon could react, Delwin’s sent Gregor’s iconic knife flying into Loon’s throat, who promptly collapsed into a pool of his own blood. Delwin quickly went to work framing the scene. He dragged Gregor’s body over to Loon’s and put Gregor’s hand near the hilt of the blade protruding from Loon’s neck. He then ran to the apartment Mather’s commonly used, and brought Mathers back with him, saying “come quick, Loon has been murdered by Gregor! I knocked him out, but I didn’t know what to do! Help me!”

Mathers brought with him a guard under Loon’s payroll, and had him send Gregor to the darkest depths of the dankest dungeon. That was three years ago.

In the past three years, Delwin has begun to work his way up the hierarchy of the underworld, using contacts he made as Loon’s pupil, primarily as a pickpocket and security expert. Mathers has since taken Loon’s position, and he occasionally calls upon Delwin for a favor or job. Delwin still considers Mathers a dead man walking, however, he knows that Mathers can be useful to him as he gains power and control. Therefore, Delwin has not yet enacted any plans against the man known to most only as Quickblade.

Recently, some interesting news has come out of the dungeon. A murderer named Gregor has escaped out of captivity. This has been linked to some involvement by a rival gang/mob/something. And the word is, he is out for blood.

2. The Mesmerist, Kitsune, I think I will call him "the Charmer."
Mesmer was part of a Merchant family who was wiped out when the new gangs started rolling in. His secret is that he is a Kitsune and that he is secretly trying to take out the mob from the inside. His description of his backstory and contacts:

I want to take down the mafia because my family's business was exploited when I was very young, and my father was cursed to die a slow death by a cruel Mafia member. I only remember this man having a scar through his eyebrow and a missing canine tooth. No Mage could ever heal my father, and I still don't know why.
Merchant guild:

2 contacts:
Yandal Roikyvok - thick accent, dry but still has a sense of humor, wants to get rid of the mafia because he believes the businesses are capable of taking care of themselves and his cousin was crippled in a shakedown

Hanik Lorvanin - lost an uncle to a turf war fought near his shop, a spell went astray and now he distrusts such offensive magic, even though his friend Yandal is a wizard.
Both of them own a collection of shops which I helped them start, I broke free to pursue revenge when my father finally died of this disease curse. Neither of them are yet motivated to attack/infiltrate but they assist me with intel, cheap equipment, and occasionally muscle (themselves or hired, depending)

3. The Sorceress, Gnome, I think I will call her "the Mom."
She is a tattooed sorceror who's husband left her and their daughter destitute and she has joined the Mob to make some coin. Her secret is that she has a daughter and that her husband was a bit of a mystery who might have had mafia connections. Her backstory as written by the player:

Lucia Atheris, tattooed sorcerer, lawful neutral, leaning bad. I am currently 28, and have a 6 year old daughter. (This is my secret.)

I was raised in the inner city, where thieves go to hide from the reach of the law, where gamblers who’ve lost everything wind up when they have nowhere left to turn. I had three siblings, and we all worked from a young age to support the family. From the age of 12, I worked long hours in factories and mills. When I was 16, my right arm got caught in the mill, permanently damaging it. In my pain, I released a burst of energy, which shut off the mill, allowing me to pull myself free.

My family could not afford the skill of a healer who could restore my arm, so since then I have had to learn to be left-handed. But some good came of it; the healer sensed the natural magic within me, and taught me to use it as well as she knew how, showing me some rudimentary magical healing spells. When she had little more to teach me, she told me to always stay curious, and learn to use my powers myself. But I had little time for a hobby, and hardly practiced for years.

Before my accident, my parents had been discussing who I might marry; as the eldest daughter, it was expected that at a young age I’d try to marry into a wealthier family. However, though men once thought me beautiful, with my injury I was considered damaged, and noble suitors no longer wanted me.

At 20, I fell in love with a mysterious wealthy man who overlooked my injury. He had recently moved to the city, and flaunted his wealth, which – as much as his bright eyes and sly smile – made him attractive to me. He saw my love for art and introduced me to a world I never saw before – he brought me to fine art museums, and bought me the first new jewelry I’d ever owned.

My family distrusted him – his wealth was a mystery, as he didn’t come from a long line of nobles and scholars but instead seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. I sometimes suspected he might be hiding a troubled past, or perhaps running from it, but I didn’t care. His quiet demeanor soothed me in the loud, busy city, and he didn’t resent me for my own history.

Soon, he proposed to me on the steps of the marble-columned library. I said yes. That day, I got my first tattoo; a snake coiled around my arm, like the one carved into the stone pillar where he proposed. He got a matching one.

Now, financially secure, I could devote more time to my studies. I hadn’t had much time for education, so I could read as well as my mom taught me, and do simple healing spells. My husband helped me gain access to increasingly private books in the library, and I studied voraciously. I was excited to discover I could make the snake tattoo dance on my skin, and as I studied magic further I found that visualization helped me direct my often aimless magic. I began to create magical tattoes.

Despite my family’s warnings that he would do me no good (they were especially displeased with my tattoo when they saw it), we married. About a year after, when I was 22, our daughter was born. My husband was a doting, if reserved, father, and I had no doubts we could be happy together.

However, tragedy struck. When our daughter was two years old – too young to remember him – he left one night on what he called “business.” He rarely talked about his work, whatever it was, so I was intrigued. I wanted to follow him, but I could not leave my infant child alone in the house, so instead I stayed up and waited for him. I waited all night, but he never returned. Days later, I learned in the newspaper that he was found dead in a suspected suicide, which I did not believe. His obituary did not mention his address; nor did it mention me, his wife.

I had no access to his money, and suspected now that it may be dangerous to try and seek it directly. I had a large, comfortable house, but found myself within it just as impoverished as I had been, and I began to sell the beloved art on the walls in order to afford food for my daughter and myself.

I started seeking work again, but in between odd jobs I visit our old haunts. I walk the tightrope of trying to piece together his life without putting myself and my loved ones in danger. Few people know where I live. I have broken contact with my parents and siblings to keep them safe. I know my parents must worry about me, but I told them to stay away, and so far they have. They don’t even know about my daughter. I have few friends, none close enough to confide in, and for the most part I live alone, aside from my child. I teach her to read and write, and bring her books. When she is occupied, or sleeping, I practice magic in secret. I have little martial prowess, for though I am well-muscled, as someone who has had to work most of my life, I can only really use my left arm. I feel I must strengthen myself beyond my physical capability to defend against malevolent forces I feel are drawing ever closer. I have advanced enough to turn my snake tattoo into a familiar, which I can keep in ink in my skin as I would a spell. I feel safer, knowing I have it.

I don’t really want the adventurous life. I would rather find work that would give me enough money to provide a better life for my daughter. But I need to find closure for my husband’s death, and perhaps right the wrong that has consumed my life. I cannot leave any loose ends that might come back to me later. I am willing to kill to protect my child, if it comes to that. I keep my daughter a secret to keep her safe. I feel she is old enough now that I can leave her at home while I look for work, or clues, but I do not bring her out of the house, even with me, for I fear that if whoever killed my husband realized he had family they would kill us too. But I want to know what happened to him, and I intend to find out. I seek vengeance. Now I am learning to channel my anger into my magic; I only need somewhere to direct it.

4. The Vigilante, Elf, I think I will call him "the Strider."
He actually named his alter ego "the Strider," so he is unique in that he is the only one to pick his alias. The player has not sent me a full backstory yet, when he does I will update this post or add it below. Essentially, he is an elven noble, one of the few who remain after the union of the cities, who secretly wishes to take out the mob and the merchant guilds they deal with from the inside. By day he is the very proper Lord Feyrith Leonala, by night he is the masked man known as "the Strider," whom he refers to as his associate. The Strider wears all black leather armor with a black cloak and a checkered mask that covers the top half of his face.

I told each person to make me a level 4 character with a reason to join the mob and a major secret that defined their character and might jeopardize their lives or positions in the mob if it was found out. This is what they came up with. The rules were explained to them: total sandbox game, PvP allowed with good reason, death is pretty much permanent. First session is tomorrow morning, let's see how this goes.

As with Silly_Comic's game, suggestions and ideas are welcomed but not necessarily utilized. Thanks in advance and hope it's an enjoyable read! :)

TeeHee
2016-08-13, 03:46 PM
Session One (Part One)

I could think of no better way to get the party started than to have them meet a lower level mafia member and receive a small parcel of territory to work with. *homage to Silly_Comic here* After brief introductinns of their characters, they head into the Sippin' Sailor Bar on the eastern side of the South Shore. We played for a long time today, like almost 7 hours, so this will be an exceptionally long installment.

More than meets the eye
So the party all enter the bar. On the outside, it looks dark and empty, and it is very quiet on the street. Ordinarily this would be odd, as it is only about 11 o'clock at night, but the next morning a festival celebrating a military victory is to start and many of the events place great emphasis on the rising sun. When the party walks in, however, they see bright lights, lavish accommodations, and the sounds of all sorts of people from all walks of life. All races are gambling, drinking, and enjoying the alluring qualities of mostly elven whores. Think a rave mixed with a speak easy. The Charmer casts detect magic and gets faint pings all over the room, along with a strong aura around the door, registering as the illusion school (clearly some sort of sound-airlock, if you will). The Rock asks if many of the patrons are carrying weapons, which I thought was smart of him. Most aren't but he sees a dagger here and there and there are very distinct Stromm guards with brass knuckles and studded leather armor.

So after a few questions and perception checks they walk to the back room, which is a doorway next to a staircase they cannot see down but from which they can hear the emanations of laughter, occasional swearing, and the sounds of dice rolling. In this room the encounter their contact, Worwyck Stromm, a burly dwarf in a medieval muscle shirt with hair covering most of his chest and arms. They talk things over and he tells them a bit about the history of gang activity in the city. Finally, they are given their assignment: two intersections in the Manor District on the North Shore, a pretty poor and sketch part of town. They are to make money off of this territory by any means that they can, and the mob gets a 25% cut of all profits they make there. The Manor District is named that because of its proximity to the Crystal Keep, the former Elven royal residence, and it is the district where most of the elven peasants lived and worked. So off they go to scope out their new project.

Working Nights
So the Strider goes to his apartment and tells the others that he will send his associate along with them (he is in Elven noble form as he does this). The Mom returns to her house, and the Rock and the Charmer head straight to the neighborhood. The Rock and the Charmer look around initially but wait for the others to catch up. This is when we first meet the "associate" of our pompous Elven noble, a figure in all black as I described above. He also does not speak, as far as anyone can tell. We are trying to keep some rolls and class abilities secret, but everyone is pretty sure they know what class the Strider chose. So anyways, they get to the neighborhood but it is very late and not many people are out. However, the alchemist shop has its lights on so they decide to climb up the stairs and have a look. The Mom leads the way on this, and the door is open. She goes to open it and I have her make a reflex save. She fails, hears a massive boom, and the door swings hard into her face for 5 points of nonlethal damage.

The Alchemist
They enter the shop to find a young human, maybe 16 or 17, holding a broken vial. He has a sooty face and hair that sticks straight up from the blast. He quickly wipes himself off and they introduce themselves, offering protection for him and the neighborhood for a small fee. The Alchemist introduces himself as Vorild Sitser, and promptly breaks down crying. He goes into how he can barely afford to keep the shop running since his Elven master left with the other Elves after the city fell. He is not usually robbed or even visited very often. With a stellar diplomacy check, the Charmer works out a deal with him that he will pay them 40% of his profits, but he can pay them in potions, which they will find the recipes and resources for. So there's that, a good source of side quests if nothing else. I plan on him only being able to make 1st level spells into potions of now, then when they go on an adventure to get him new supplies and instructions he will slowly upgrade his stock. I like that a lot, rewarding the players for investment in the world.

The Rest of the Neighborhood
Though most of the other shops were closed, they still got a good look at the signs or windows, most of which were barred heavily. They saw insignia indicating there was a shoe shop below the alchemist, and on the same straight there are: a bakery, a tavern/inn, a carpenter, a goldsmith, and finally a burned down building. While the others were in the Alchemist's shop, the Rock opted to check out the burning building.

He didn't find much, the building looked similar in size and shape to the others at least on the outside, but this isn't super surprising as a lot of this land was relatively recently built upon and thus cookie-cutter houses and stores is not at all unusual. I described that the only real thing of note was a large, worked stone ball in the middle of the floor. It had clearly left an impression in the floor and it looked like it came down with some force. The Rock was fascinated by this stone (Separated at birth, maybe?). I thought from my description it was fairly obvious that it was a leftover payload from a catapult (there was heavy fighting in this area), but he didn't seem to get it. He used his Aether powers to lift it and look underneath it, but there was nothing there. At least something came out of it, because at that point the rest of the party came up to him, but only the Charmer saw him lift it. Like I said, we are trying hard to keep class abilities relatively secret so this was a sort of significant revelation to the characters if not the players. They searched the rest of the building cursorily but none of them rolled high enough to find the exceedingly well-hidden stash of drugs (he he). Just then, they heard the faint sound of footsteps and aughter from the road, with a light coming towards them

Trespassers
Everyone hid. Not all of them rolled stellar stealth checks, but they all hid. As the light got closer, it was revealed to be four patrolling guards, laughing and talking. All human. (I take note of the races often because there is some racial tension in this city with a Dwarven upper class and an Elven enemy and lower class). The Mom sauntered out of the burnt out building, and so the Charmer and the Rock followed. The Strider remained hidden. Immediately the guards addressed them, asking what they were doing. The Charmer tried to work his magic and asked about who owned the building and made up some story about how they were looking to buy it, but the fact that they were trespassing on private property late at night made it hard for the guards to believe.

It was at this point one of my favorite moments of the session happened.
Our little gnome sorceror, the Mom, pipes up. She insults the guards by implying they aren't doing their job protecting the neighborhood and now the party is the new protection this town needs. I loved this because it was so bold and ballsy, it was very mafia to me. The other players were chiefly trying to brown nose the guards and trying to pay them off, but the Mom just went for it! And she's a new player! Good for her. Sadly, her height caused her to be significantly less imposing than expected so the guards decided to beat her up to put her in her place. The Charmer tried to backtrack and the Rock offered to buy them drinks at the tavern next door. They were having none of it. So the Charmer decided to turn the Mom invisible, which he did, and she ran off. The guards didn't notice because of an excellent sleight of hand roll and since only one guard was really offended thay managed to de-escalate the situation. Drats. I was hoping for a good fight.

After paying off the guards, everyone elected to go home and get some rest.

Earlier at the ferry over the river, the Rock asked to check if anyone was following him. He noticed a halfling in a long coat by the ferry entrance, wh waked away as they boarded the ferry over to the North Shore.
Later, he went back to his apartment and asked to do another check to see if there was anyone there. I told him a man in a long coat was under the street light across the street, who walked away He asked if it ooked like the hulking shape of Gregor, the man he framed. I said no. He elected to stay up for an hour more but nothing more interesting happened. Honestly, I had nothing really planned but I realized I should. Besides, its fun to instill a little paranoia in the players. So that's something for me to work on: who is surveilling him and why?

I will post the second part of Session One soon but everyone was so eager to play again I have a 4 hour game today! It's in an hour so I better get to prepping. I will upload both Session One Part Two and Session Two ASAP :)