PDA

View Full Version : Anything interesting that can be done with Ghostwalk?

Kaje
2016-08-12, 09:53 PM
That's it. It's a weird book that you never hear about, but is there anything particularly cool that can be done with the feat, classes, etc found in the book Ghostwalk?

mabriss lethe
2016-08-12, 10:51 PM
Well, a +0 LA ghost template is quite useful for a lot of things, and the various ghost feats/classes are fun. That default class/resurrection juggling is annoying, but there are other, more forgiving variants in the book. Shellcraft mannequins are a really fun way to make a durable and dangerous combat character. There's also that one prestige class, Bone Collector, that can make some magic weapons and armor without the normal feats/prereqs.

barakaka
2016-08-12, 11:05 PM
Ghostwalk is one of my favourite books, and I haven't even played in the setting yet. There's just so many weird abilities and items. :smallbiggrin:

One such item is the spear called Rapid Wrath. It's a +1 mighty cleaving longspear that doubles your movement speed. All for a mere 11,702 gp.

Shellcraft Manakin is a strange item that you can possess, and it basically lets you hold corporeal items. I think some more can be done with it though. You suffer armor check penalties and a max dex bonus however. You could totally be a ghost left behind after death, using a manakin in the likeness of your spouse or other loved one.

I imagine it would be somewhat more difficult playing an eidolon base class (ghostwalk's fighter class), because the ghostwalk feats aren't incredibly powerful versus casting; but the eidoloncer definitely has defenses going for it. Incorporeality is fantastic for a PC caster.

Check out the Eidolon handbook for more info on that class. IMO it has more opportunity for flavour than the eidoloncer, given how many ghost feats you can pick up.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?239930-3-5-The-Eidolon-Handbook-Any-feedback-is-appreciated-)

Just going for the Ghostwalk ghost template is pretty stellar by itself. Ghostly Grasp feat is a must though, unless you're a Warlock, Dragonfire Adept, Incarnate, Binder, or Psionics user. You need it to swing weapons and spell components you buy/pickup.

Inevitability
2016-08-13, 12:31 AM
Persuade to Manifest is a 3rd-level sorcerer/wizard (and 2nd-level bard) spell that causes a dead creature to return as ghost. At worst, it's a low-level alternative to Raise Dead. At best, it's free incorporeality for your entire party.

You can even get it at 1st-level by (ab)using Precocious Apprentice.

Darrin
2016-08-13, 12:50 AM
There are a few gems in the magic items. Notably, the Glove of the Master Strategist (3700 GP) is a much more affordable Glove of Storing. Also, a few more Figurines of Wondrous Power. The Tortuous weapon property is one of the best +1/+2 enhancements in the game, particularly for TWF. Message Arrow (400 GP) can be used to locate creatures using Darkstalker or immune to divination.

A few interesting pieces of equipment: desk clock is more portable than the water clock. Ectoplasmic equipment/weapons/armor might be useful in certain situations.

The bola flail is a top-notch debuffing weapon. Bards get EWP: Bola Flail as a bonus feat if they come from the city of Salkiria. Even if you don't want to use a bola flail, you could use Dragonborn to swap it for Dragon Tail/Wings.

There's a couple spells worth a look... bonerattle for bards, and fetid breath (in the web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a)) is a 10' mini-cone of stinking cloud.

I've always felt the Valicorn template might be useful for something, but it hasn't come up yet.

Âmesang
2016-08-13, 05:17 AM
I'll admit I haven't looked through it all that much, but I took note of the spell, sherem transformation, since I found it could be easily reflavored for my WORLD OF GREYHAWK® Suel noble-born sorceress (especially the "iron ring that has touched lava" component since the Sea of Dust, the former Suel Imperium, is bordered on its eastern side by the Hellfurnaces, and the focus can be replaced with a similar 1,000 gp gem like a blue sapphire, rich purple corundum, or white opal).

Also 'cause I didn't want to go with the whole "blood of dragons" explanation for her powers.

ShurikVch
2016-08-13, 01:45 PM
Couple of spells there allow easier PrC qualification:

Blessing of the Snake Mother gives you Alertness feat; no, not the "just benefits of the feat" - feat itself

Demonic Blood Infusion gives [Chaotic] and [Evil] subtypes, and make you count as Outsider; no more difficulties to qualify for those "Fiend of ..." PrCs from Fiend Folio!

Deadline
2016-08-13, 01:52 PM
That's it. It's a weird book that you never hear about, but is there anything particularly cool that can be done with the feat, classes, etc found in the book Ghostwalk?

The Forceful Staff style feat is in there I think. There was a pretty terrific build by Vaz in the Cipher Adept round of Iron Chef that used it: Togashi Mitsu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15484092&postcount=330).

Jowgen
2016-08-13, 03:19 PM
Ghostwalk has it's own circle magic feat, which is more limited in terms of CL boosts (only goes to 20), but it can be taken by any divine caster (a bit of deity fluff aside) without PrC or other feat prerequesites. Can add serious oomph to 1 HD adept leadership followers.

eggynack
2016-08-13, 03:37 PM
I like the ghost companion trick. You cast aspect of the wolf or something to get the animal type, hit yourself with ghost companion, and cast cocoon on your dead body, and you get a week of ghostly adventuring.

gadren
2016-08-13, 05:32 PM
I used a lot of spells from the book to make a not-required-to-be-evil dread necromancer variant called the Spirit Guide (https://sites.google.com/site/bardawilcampaignsite/core-classes/necromancer/necromancer-archetypes/spirit-guide) that focused more on ghosts than zombies and skeletons and stuff.

digiman619
2016-08-13, 06:55 PM
It's also the source for the lamest D&D joke I know:

Why did the eidolon want a level of psion?

So he could manifest.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-13, 07:30 PM
It's also the source for the lamest D&D joke I know:

Why did the eidolon want a level of psion?

So he could manifest.http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b71f69e2012876b33914970c-800wi