PDA

View Full Version : Finding Brand New players for offline game.

draken50
2016-08-12, 11:24 PM
So as a GM I've found that brand new, or players that have only played a game or two but are interested in the playing tabletop games end up being some of the most enjoyable players to run for.

Now, obviously there are meetups and such frequented by gamers and the like, but generally most people looking for groups on there are more seasoned.

How did you start gaming? How would you find brand new players interested in giving D&D or the like a go?

RazorChain
2016-08-12, 11:57 PM
I recently started a new group and I found people through facebook, lot of people who have interest in Rpg's are part of regional rpg groups on facebook.

I wound up with 5 players (my golden number) and had to turn a couple away. 3 of those are completely new to TTRPG and 2 have played for a year or so. Sometimes I've recruited co workers that always wanted to try it out, sometimes people have heard that I play and want to participate. Usually I'm fully booked but I sometimes run games to introduce people to the hobby like I did the other day and ran a 3 session adventure for a co worker, his girfriend and couple of their friends.

Yes new players are fun to play with because they react completely and often more realisticly to situations than seasoned roleplayers.

Also I'm running a system that is more deadly than D&D means that the new players realize that murder hoboism will get them dead real quick. In fact as these players are adults (age 20-26) the murder hoboism thought doesn't even enter play as they realize that it will get them wanted or killed.

Often new players that come from D&D into my group somtimes die once or twice before they realize killing everything has consequences.

I started gaming through a friend. His older brother ran 3 or 4 sessions for us in Warhammer FRP and 28 years later I'm still playing.