PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What weapons are in more than one Weapon group?

digiman619
2016-08-13, 01:41 AM
I recently found out that a nodachi is in both polearm and a heavy blade. That leads to interesting options, especially with Path of War for discipline weapons. Any other weapons that are in 2 (or theoretically more) weapon categories?

Psyren
2016-08-13, 01:59 AM
I recently found out that a nodachi is in both polearm and a heavy blade. That leads to interesting options, especially with Path of War for discipline weapons. Any other weapons that are in 2 (or theoretically more) weapon categories?

All the weapon groups and their members are visible on the Fighter page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter), browse at your leisure!

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-13, 02:37 AM
Ctrl-F to search for any one of the weapon groups you want.

Bardiche - axe/polearm
Orc Double Axe - axe/double
Pata - axe/light blade
Throwing Axe - axe/thrown
Chakram - heavy blade/light blade/thrown
Double Walking Stick Katana - heavy blade/double
Klar - heavy blade/close
Nine-Ring Broadsword - heavy blade/monk
Nodachi - heavy blade/polearm
Seven-Branched Sword - heavy blade/monk
Temple Sword - heavy blade/monk
Two-Bladed Sword - heavy blade/double
Bayonet - light blade/close
Dagger - light blade/thrown
Deer Horn Knife - light blade/monk/thrown
Hunga Munga - light blade/thrown
Kama - light blade/monk
Katar - light blade/close
Madu - light blade/close
Scizore - light blade/close
Starknife - light blade/thrown
Brass Knuckles - close/monk
Cestus - close/monk
Dan Bong - close/monk
Emei Piercer - close/monk
Fighting Fan - close/monk
Mere Club - close/hammer
Tonfa - close/monk
Unarmed Strike - close/monk/natural
Wushu Dart - close/monk/thrown
Bo Staff - double/monk
Chain Spear - double/flail/spear
Dire Flail - double/flail
Double-Chained Kama - double/flail/monk
Kusarigama - double/flail/monk
Monk's Spade - double/monk/polearm
Quarterstaff - double/monk
Taiaha - double/hammer
Weighted Spear - double/spear
Kyoketsu Shoge - flail/monk
Nine-Section Whip - flail/monk
Nunchaku - flail/monk
Sansetsukon - flail/monk
Urumi - flail/monk
Aklys - hammer/thrown
Club - hammer/thrown
Light Hammer - hammer/thrown
Planson - hammer/spear
Rope Dart - monk/thrown
Shuriken - monk/thrown
Tiger Fork - monk/polearm/spear
Amentum - spear/thrown
Javelin - spear/thrown
Harpoon - spear/thrown
Pilum - spear/thrown

digiman619
2016-08-13, 06:11 AM
Okay, after looking through the list, here are the dual-catagory weapons:
Aklys: hammer and thrown (exotic, 1d8, 20/x2, B, performance, trip)
Amentum spears and thrown (martial, 1d6, 20/x2, 50 ft range, P, performance)
Bardiche: axe and polearm (martial, 1d10, 19-20/x2, S, brace and reach)
Bayonet: light blade and close (simple, 1d6, 20/x2, P)
Brass Knuckles: close and monk (simple, 1d3, 20/x2, B)
Bo Staff: double and monk (exotic, 1d6, 20/x2m B, blocking)
Butterfly Sword: light blade and monk (martial, 1d6, 19-20/x2 S)
Cestus: close and monk (simple, 1d4, 19-20/x2 B or P)
Chakram:: light blades, heavy blades, thrown (martial, 1d8, 20/x2, S)
Chain Spear: double, flail, spear (exotic, 1d6/1d6, x2, P and S, trip)
Club hammers and thrown (simple, 1d6, 20/x2, 10 ft range, B)
Dagger: light blades and thrown (simple, 1d4, 19-20/x2 P or S)
Dan Bong: close and monk (exotic, 1d3, 19-20/x2, B, blocking)
Deer Horn Knife: light blades, monk, and thrown (exotic, 1d4, 20/x3, 20 ft range, P, blocking)
Dire Flail: double and flail (exotic, 1d8/1d8, 20/x2, B, disarm or trip)
Double Chicken Saber: heavy blades and monk (martial,1d6, 19-20/x2 S disarm)
Double-Chained Kama: double and flail (exotic, 1d6/1d6, 20/x2, S)
Double Walking Stick Katana: heavy blades and double (exotic, 1d6/1d6, 20/x3 B)
Emei Piercer: close and monk (exotic, 1d3, 19-20/x2, P)
Fighting Fan: close and monk (exotic, 1d4, 20/x3, P, distracting)
Harpoon: spear and thrown (martial, 1d8, 20/x3, 10 ft range,P grappling)
Hunga Munga: light blades and thrown (martial, 1d6, 20/x2 P)
Javelin: spear and thrown (simple, 1d6, 20/x2, 30 ft range, P)
Kama:: light blade and monk (exotic, 1d6. 20/x2, S trip)
Katar: light blade and monk (exotic, 1d4, 2-/x4, P))
Klar: heavy blade and close (martial, 1d6, 20/x2, S)
Kusarigama (Sickle and Chain): double, flail, monk (exotic, 1d3/1d6, 20/x2, S or B, reach, trip, grapple)
Kyoketsu Shoge: flail and monk (exotic, 1d4, 20/x2, 20 ft range, S or P disarm, grapple, reach)
Light Hammer: hammer and thrown (martial, 1d4, 20/x2, 20 ft range B)
Madu: light blade and close (exotic, 1d4, 20/x2, P, performance)
Mere Club close and hammer, (simple, 1d4, 20/x2, B or P, fragile)
Monk's Spade double, monk, polearm (martial, 1d6/1d6, 20/x2, B/P/S)
Nine-Ring Broadsword: heavy blades and monk (martial, 1d8, 20/x3, S)
Nine-Section Whip: flail and monk (exotic, 1d8, 19-20/x2, B, blocking, distractig, trip)
Nodachi: heavy blade and polearm (martial, 1d10, 18-20/x2 S or P, brace)
Nunchaku: flail and monk (exotic, 1d6, 20/x2, S, trip)
Orc Double Axe: axe and double (exotic, 1d8/1d8, 20/x3, S)
Pata: axe and light blade (exotic, 1d6, 20/x3 P, performance)
Pilum: spears and thrown (martial, 1d8, 20/x2, 20 ft range, P)
Planson hammers and spears (martial, 1d10, 20/x2, B or P, brace)
Quarterstaff: double and monk (simple, 1d6/1d6. 20/x2 B)
Rope Dart: monk and thrown (1d4, 20/x2. 20 ft range, P, blocking, distracting)
Sansetsukon: flail and monk (martial, 1d10, 19-20/x2, B, blocking, disarm)
Scizore: light blades and close (martial, 1d10, 20/x2, P, performance)
Seven-Branched Sword heavy blades and monk (exotic, 1d10, 20/x3 S, disarm)
Shortspear: spear and thrown (simple, 1d6, 20/x2,20 ft range, P)
Shuriken: monk and thrown (exotic, 1d2, 20/x2, 10 ft range, P)
Sibat: spear and thrown (martial, 1d6, 20/x3, 10 ft range, P or S, grapple)
Starknife: light blades and thrown (martial, 1d4, 20/x3, 20 ft. range, P)
Temple Sword heavy blade and monk (exotic, 1d8, 19-20/x2 S, trip)
Throwing Axe: axes and thrown [shocking, I know] (martial, 1d6, 20/x2, S, 10 ft range)
Tiger Fork monk, polearm, and spear (martial, 1d8, 20/x2. P. brace)
Taiaha: double and hammer (exotic OR martial, 1d10/1d6 or 1d8 20/x2 or x3 OR 20/x2, B/P OR B)
Trident spear and thrown (martial, 1d8, 20/x2, 10 ft range, P, brace)
Tonfa: close and monk (martial, 1d6, 20/x2, B, blocking)
Tube Arrow Shooter: crossbow and monk (martial 1d4, 20/x2, 40 ft range, P)
Two-Bladed Sword: heavy blade and double (exotic, 1d8/1d8, 20/x2 S)
Urumi: flail and monk (exotic, 1d8, 18-20/x2, S, distracting)
Weighted Spear: double and spear (simple. 1d8/1d6. x3/x2, B or P)
Wushu Dart close, monk, and thrown (martial, 1d3, 20/x2, r10 ft range, P)

Thanks, Extra Anchovies for the missing data!

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-13, 10:58 AM
The Deer Horn Knife is a 1d4/x3 exotic light piercing weapon with the blocking property and a range increment of 20 feet. They look kind of impractical (http://www.deerhornknives.com/baguazhang/images/gallery/Bagua-Deer-Horn-Knives-KunlunFighter.jpg).

The Katar does not have official Pathfinder stats (d20PFSRD and Archives of Nethys agree on this). A "Katar, tri-bladed" exists in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, which is one of Paizo's D&D 3.5 books. The authors of the Humans of Golarion player companion apparently forgot this, because they added it to the Close and Light Blade weapon groups. It's a 1d4/x4 exotic light piercing weapon.

The Planson is a 1d10/x2 martial two-handed bludgeoning or piercing weapon with the brace property. It's apparently (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan%C3%A7on_a_picot) a meter-long metal rod with a big spike on the end, which is pretty badass.

The Weighted Spear is a 1d8/x3-1d6/x2 simple two-handed bludgeoning or piercing double weapon. Ostensibly a pole with a spear on one end and a mace on the other. I can't find anything about it existing outside of Pathfinder, so it seems to be a rule-of-cool inspired weapon.

digiman619
2016-08-13, 02:01 PM
So by looking at the disciplines, the winners in this are the Deer Horn Knife (exotic) with 13 disciplines and the Tiger Fork (martial) with 11. Monk's Spade (martial) comes in third with 10.

stack
2016-08-13, 02:05 PM
So by looking at the disciplines, the winners in this are the Deer Horn Knife (exotic) with 13 disciplines and the Tiger Fork (martial) with 11. Monk's Spade (martial) comes in third with 10.

Interesting, I thought the chakram was near the top, being a thrown heavy blade, but I never looked closely. Of course, weapon group adaptation makes your preferred weapon a discipline weapon for everything. Feats are valuable, but if you were in a situation where you were considering exotic anyway...

digiman619
2016-08-15, 01:28 AM

I forgot to add in Black Seraph and Silver Crane. That brings the Tiger Fork to 13, and the Monk's Spade to 11.

EDIT: Oh, and the Chakram gets the silver with 12 (Cursed Razor, Elemental Flux, Eternal Guardian, Golden Lion, Iron Tortoise, Mithral Current, Primal Fury, Scarlet Throne, Shattered Mirror, Sleeping Goddess, and Tempest Gale), as opposed to the Deer Horn Knife (Broken Blade, Cursed Razor, Elemental Flux, Mithral Current, Riven Hourglass, Scarlet Throne, Shattered Mirror, Sleeping Goddess, Solar Wind, Steel Serpent, Tempest Gale, Thrashing Dragon, and Veiled Moon) or Tiger Fork (Black Seraph, Broken Blade, Cursed Razor, Elemental Flux, Eternal Guardian, Golden Lion, Mithral Current, Piercing Thunder, Scarlet Throne, Silver Crane, Sleeping Goddess, Steel Serpent and Veiled Moon), who had 13

squiggit
2016-08-15, 02:18 AM
Interesting, I thought the chakram was near the top, being a thrown heavy blade, but I never looked closely.
Well, I count sixteen, or seventeen if you count the last one, disciplines the chakram falls under (golden lion, iron tortoise, primal fury, scarlet throne, solar wind, steel serpent, thrashing dragon, veiled moon, cursed razor, elemental flux, eternal guardian, mithral current, riven hourglass, shattered mirror, sleeping goddess, tempest gale and fool's errand). So that does seem like the winner to me.

Oh, and the Chakram gets the silver with 12
You missed Riven Hourglass, Solar Wind, Steel Serpent and Veiled Moon.

digiman619
2016-08-15, 02:59 AM
Well, I count sixteen, or seventeen if you count the last one, disciplines the chakram falls under (golden lion, iron tortoise, primal fury, scarlet throne, solar wind, steel serpent, thrashing dragon, veiled moon, cursed razor, elemental flux, eternal guardian, mithral current, riven hourglass, shattered mirror, sleeping goddess, tempest gale and fool's errand). So that does seem like the winner to me.

You missed Riven Hourglass, Solar Wind, Steel Serpent and Veiled Moon.

I honestly missed Solar Wind. Fool's Errand isn't officially out yet, so it doesn't count. You are mistaken on the other three, however, as all of those use light blades rather than heavy. Unless there was some massive errata I missed.

khadgar567
2016-08-15, 04:05 AM
actually there is unquiet grave and chimera soul disciplines in lords of night and wild

squiggit
2016-08-15, 04:06 AM
I honestly missed Solar Wind. Fool's Errand isn't officially out yet, so it doesn't count. You are mistaken on the other three, however, as all of those use light blades rather than heavy. Unless there was some massive errata I missed.

Chakram are in the light blade weapon group though (as well as the heavy blade and thrown groups).

digiman619
2016-08-15, 05:55 AM
Chakram are in the light blade weapon group though (as well as the heavy blade and thrown groups).

Wow, how did I miss that? I put it up in my big list and everything. Yeah. Chakram is the go-to weapon as far as qualifying for disciplines go.

Elder_Basilisk
2016-08-15, 09:49 AM
Other implications:

Nodachi is the go-to back up weapon for a pole-arm wielder...
... unless said polearm is a bardiche in which case the fighter could run with axe group instead of polearms and have battle axe and throwing axe are good backup/ranged weapons which may have more versatility (you can't use a nodachi in a grapple which is one of the important reasons a polearm wielder needs a backup weapon.

Longsword or scimitar+Klar is the combination sword and board fighters want (when they are not going for close weapons in a brawler or dual shield build). Full weapon training on the sword and the shield. But it's probably still not as good as just using slayer (or ranger) for that fighting style.