PDA

View Full Version : Haste on charmed enemy: works?

Citan
2016-08-13, 06:40 AM
Hi all!

A thought crossed my mind: since Haste requires you to choose a "willing creature", would you validate that a charmed creature or a creature under the effect of a Suggestion such as "you agree to be buffed by anyone" agrees to be buffed by Haste? Even if it's an enemy or a creature generally hostile to you?

It's a very corner case, so I doubt it would happen in real play (at least, as something that was intended and prepared) but I'm curious.
It would mean Haste can actually be used in an "offensive" way (cast then drop Concentration immediately after: affected creature can't move nor take actions until the end of its next turn). :)

SharkForce
2016-08-13, 01:15 PM
suggestion could definitely work... depending on what your DM considers reasonable to mean (i interpret it to mean "not obviously causing self-inflicted harm" for the most part, but that's from the context of prior editions).

charm mechanically has nothing really backing it up to make it happen. it might work (iirc charm person also includes a statement that they regard you as a friendly acquaintance or something to that effect, which may help). it might not.

Gastronomie
2016-08-13, 01:16 PM
I would first have the charmer make a Persuation saving throw with advantage, and if he succeeds, well, why not let him do the combo. It's probably weaker than simply buffing a PC anyways.

Citan
2016-08-13, 02:55 PM
I would first have the charmer make a Persuation saving throw with advantage, and if he succeeds, well, why not let him do the combo. It's probably weaker than simply buffing a PC anyways.
Yeah, agreed with this, this trick would be too complex too set up compared to the return on investment...

If at least the character was "stunned" it could have some value, or if the DM is lenient enough to broaden the meaning of "can't move" to "is restrained". But we would be clearly in houseruling then.

It was more by sheer curiosity on charm interaction with "willing creature", because I have little experience with how charm works (= how to rule it as a DM).

And, who knows, maybe we could find a spell that require a willing creature but could actually be useful with such a trick? ^^

Thanks for the replies anyways.

NNescio
2016-08-18, 04:37 AM

1. Cast Suggestion on a Kraken (or any sea 'beastie' that knows enough languages to understand you, or has straight-up telepathy).

2. Cast Water Walk on said sea beastie.

3. ???

4. Profit!