PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Xenomorph Monster

DracoKnight
2016-08-13, 04:55 PM
I calculated this Xenomorph (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJhNrf6t) statblock to be a CR 5, and was wondering if someone could check my math on that? I used the Red Slaad statblock (with slight modifications) and made it a half-Black Dragon. It seems kinda weird for the CR 5 Red Slaad's CR to not be affected at all...

EDIT: Update the link with its actual CR and some new abilities. Also, prettier doc :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-08-13, 05:43 PM
I calculated this Xenomorph (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJhNrf6t) statblock to be a CR 5, and was wondering if someone could check my math on that? I used the Red Slaad statblock (with slight modifications) and made it a half-Black Dragon. It seems kinda weird for the CR 5 Red Slaad's CR to not be affected at all...

As far as damage is concerned, it's below a CR 5, but that health regen probably brings it back up to CR 5...honestly I hate how they calculate CR, so I can't help you beyond that :smallfrown:

Waar
2016-08-13, 07:25 PM

If I ignore the xenomorph egg I would put it as a CR 6 (defensive about 8 + offensive about 4) this is a bit of a judgement call but the acid blood & the resistances stack with each other in funny ways (and the same goes for the resistance and the regeneration), (also acording to what you have written the acid blood has no range limitation, say limited to melee, and that would probably make the difference between a low end or high end CR 6).

Durazno
2016-08-13, 07:36 PM
I'd recommend giving it the ability to strike from hiding with its tail. Maybe even reach on tail attacks?

DracoKnight
2016-08-13, 07:43 PM
If I ignore the xenomorph egg I would put it as a CR 6 (defensive about 8 + offensive about 4) this is a bit of a judgement call but the acid blood & the resistances stack with each other in funny ways (and the same goes for the resistance and the regeneration), (also acording to what you have written the acid blood has no range limitation, say limited to melee, and that would probably make the difference between a low end or high end CR 6).

Okay, so I was only one off - and thanks for catching that! The acid blood is meant to be melee only :smalltongue:

I'd recommend giving it the ability to strike from hiding with its tail. Maybe even reach on tail attacks?

Thanks for your suggestions! :smallbiggrin: My players will hate this. (especially considering that they're level...3...I might hold off on using this for a little bit.)

DracoKnight
2016-08-14, 12:59 AM
Updated the link with a chestburster, facehugger, warrior, the xenomorph queen, and a half-xenomorph template :smallbiggrin:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-08-14, 01:51 AM
*downloads* I know what I'm punishing my local murderhobos with :smallbiggrin:

Requiemforlust
2016-08-14, 04:42 AM
These. Are. F*cking. Awesome! I love Alien, and I was thinking about doing this soon, but now I can just use these - if you don't mind of course! :smallsmile:

khadgar567
2016-08-14, 05:22 AM
small question and request whats the cr of template and how we can use in real game (aka can you build level 1 half xenomorph half human fighter for pc usages(no spell caster please this thing only needs invisibility to become more dangerous then its cr))

DracoKnight
2016-08-14, 06:02 AM
small question and request whats the cr of template and how we can use in real game (aka can you build level 1 half xenomorph half human fighter for pc usages(no spell caster please this thing only needs invisibility to become more dangerous then its cr))

I don't know what the Cr of the template is, I would place it above the half-dragon template - I wouldn't recommend allowing it for PCs, though; no way in heck with the Recharge trait. Other than that, I would use them the same way that you would use any other monster.

Alternatively, I might add a xenomorph PC race to the document. :smallbiggrin:

khadgar567
2016-08-14, 08:05 AM
I don't know what the Cr of the template is, I would place it above the half-dragon template - I wouldn't recommend allowing it for PCs, though; no way in heck with the Recharge trait. Other than that, I would use them the same way that you would use any other monster.

Alternatively, I might add a xenomorph PC race to the document. :smallbiggrin:
yes please

DracoKnight
2016-08-14, 04:04 PM
yes please

I'll see what I can do, but it's gonna be really hard to balance this for a player to have access to :smalltongue:

JBPuffin
2016-08-14, 04:07 PM

I think you may be confusing how templates work in 5e - ie, unlike 3.5, they aren't a PC option. Like, ever.

DracoKnight
2016-08-14, 04:10 PM
I think you may be confusing how templates work in 5e - ie, unlike 3.5, they aren't a PC option. Like, ever.

Pretty much this. Templates are applied solely to monsters.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-08-14, 04:15 PM

Pretty much this. Templates are applied solely to monsters.

I've found that if you replace the subrace with it, the half-dragon template makes for a decent subrace. It's only OP as a player option if you give the player a subrace on top of it.

EDIT: In fact, that's my dragonborn fix. You play Vhuman, but instead of the feat, you get the half-dragon template. It works really well :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-08-14, 04:20 PM
EDIT: In fact, that's my dragonborn fix. You play Vhuman, but instead of the feat, you get the half-dragon template. It works really well :smallsmile:

Hmmmmmmmmmm...that seems like it would probably be fine... I must ponder this...

Requiemforlust
2016-08-14, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...that seems like it would probably be fine... I must ponder this...

Having seen it in play, I can vouch it works rather well, so long as you don't let them play this version of the dragonborn before level 5.

DracoKnight
2016-08-15, 04:07 PM
Having seen it in play, I can vouch it works rather well, so long as you don't let them play this version of the dragonborn before level 5.

That makes sense.

Belac, LoTH
2018-04-20, 08:01 AM
not sure at balancing, but shouldn't the template include a climb speed? I love what you've done with it, and I have no idea how unbalancing it'd be, but seeing as it's one of the biggest features is the the xenomorphs can strike from anymore...