PDA

View Full Version : Is an automated Bag of Holding / Portable Hole warhead manufacturing plant possible?

Komatik
2016-08-13, 05:34 PM
What it says on the tin. I seem to remember someone making a potion factory inside a backpack: Is it possible to make an automated fabrication/assembly line that'd make BoH/PH warheads (basically some simple mechanical apparatus that collapses on impact) and would, say attach them to a frame that can be flown over enemy targets to bomb them? Is there a way to make mobile portals so one could be flown above something and the fabricator could just shove bombs out as fast as it can?

Troacctid
2016-08-13, 05:44 PM
Sure. Just get yourself two auto-resetting magic device traps that cast wish (to create the bags of holding and portable holes) and one that casts fabricate (to create the mechanism). You can use ring gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ringGates) to port them.

Shalist
2016-08-13, 05:53 PM
BoH/PH warheads (basically some simple mechanical apparatus that collapses on impact)

Dunno about mass production, but this seemed marginally relevant:

http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif

MisterKaws
2016-08-13, 05:56 PM
What it says on the tin. I seem to remember someone making a potion factory inside a backpack: Is it possible to make an automated fabrication/assembly line that'd make BoH/PH warheads (basically some simple mechanical apparatus that collapses on impact) and would, say attach them to a frame that can be flown over enemy targets to bomb them? Is there a way to make mobile portals so one could be flown above something and the fabricator could just shove bombs out as fast as it can?

It's probably more efficient to just put contingent Locate City bomb in the warheads.

Troacctid
2016-08-13, 05:57 PM
It's probably more efficient to just put contingent Locate City bomb in the warheads.
Nah, that trick doesn't work.

Komatik
2016-08-13, 06:04 PM
Dunno about mass production, but this seemed marginally relevant:

http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif

More or less what I thought as well. Nice to see an official schematic >:)

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-13, 06:31 PM
Ugh, this again.

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.

Bag into hole - both are "forever lost", no other effect.
Hole into bag - hole, bag, and all creatures within 10 feet go to the astral plane, bag and hole are destroyed

Nothing takes any damage, no objects are affected other than nearby creatures' carried possessions, and anyone who can't make their way back from the Astral Plane to the Material Plane isn't worth spending 22,500 GP to get rid of.

Contingent spells have to be placed on people :smallconfused:

Nah, that trick doesn't work.

Indeed.

Explosive Spell can be applied only to spells that allow Reflex saves and affect an area (a cone, cylinder, line, or burst).
The parenthesized list does not say "such as a cone, cylinder...", or "including but not limited to cones,..." - because 3.5 is an exception-based rules system, Explosive Spell can be applied only to spells that allow Reflex saves and that affect an area and that have an area measured as a cone, cylinder, line, or burst.

Area: 10 miles/level radius circle, centered on you
Locate City has an area measured as a circle, excluding it from Explosive Spell.

This metamagic feat can be applied only to spells that have the cold descriptor and that affect an area. A flash frost spell deals an extra 2 points of cold damage per level of the spell to all targets in the area.
"Extra" means that the 2 points of cold damage is added to existing spell damage. Because Locate City doesn't have any native damage effect, it has a damage of Ø - its damage can't be increased because Ø+2 is undefined, in the same way that a Construct can't have its Constitution score increased. You can't have extra cheese on your pizza without having a pizza in the first place.

Metahuman1
2016-08-14, 03:13 AM
10ft radius. Does that mean if I hit something big enough I'd only send part of it? Say, the head/Part of the head, and leave the rest behind?

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-14, 08:56 PM
10ft radius. Does that mean if I hit something big enough I'd only send part of it? Say, the head/Part of the head, and leave the rest behind?

Well, a creature only partially inside the area of a Fireball still takes full damage, so the rules are most likely in favor of the whole creature getting sent on a magical astral journey.