PDA

View Full Version : Rebuke and control and HD

EoNhOeKnOwS
2016-08-13, 06:36 PM
So I'm a level 8 archivist level 1 cleric with 16 charisma, no buffs

My turn undead check = 1d20 + 3(Cha), let's say I roll 23. Can I only affect up to 23 HD with rebuke and 12 with command?

Tgere are items such as phylactery of undead turning and amulet of undead turning and mace of the children and scepter of the netherworld and rod of defiance and talisman of undead mastery.

All of these items add to turning checks- is this check added to the 1d20 + Cha?

Does my actual HD count (9) or only the cleric levels? What to cleric levels add to turn/rebuke? Would I get 1d20 + Cha +1 for being cleric 1?

Also
Animate dead (and commanding in dececrated altared area)

Base command - my HD x2
Dececrate + altar = HDx4
Adding Rod of undead mastery - double the HD capacity (is now x8?)
Deathbound domain feature + 50% HD control added - do I now have x12 my HD?
Anyone using animate dead would get full benefit while clerics can do half this? (Or full to cause rebuke?)

Thank you!!!1111

I might add more to this post ... >.>

InvisibleBison
2016-08-13, 09:12 PM
So I'm a level 8 archivist level 1 cleric with 16 charisma, no buffs

My turn undead check = 1d20 + 3(Cha), let's say I roll 23. Can I only affect up to 23 HD with rebuke and 12 with command?

Tgere are items such as phylactery of undead turning and amulet of undead turning and mace of the children and scepter of the netherworld and rod of defiance and talisman of undead mastery.

All of these items add to turning checks- is this check added to the 1d20 + Cha?

Does my actual HD count (9) or only the cleric levels? What to cleric levels add to turn/rebuke? Would I get 1d20 + Cha +1 for being cleric 1?

Your turning check is compared to the table on p. 159 of the PHB (or online right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead)). A result of 23 would allow you to turn undead of up to cleric's level + 4; in your case, you'd be able to turn undead of up to 5 HD.

However, your turn undead check doesn't determine the actual amount of undead you can turn; that's what the turning damage is for. Turning damage is 2d6 + cleric level + Charisma. You can turn any number of undead whose combined HD is less than or equal to your turning damage (assuming your turning check was high enough to affect them).

Any undead who you successfully turn whose HD is less than or equal to half your cleric level is instead destroyed (or commanded, if you're evil). Since you're a 1st level cleric, you can command undead of up to 1/2 HD.

So in your case, if you rolled a 20 on your turn check, you'd be able to affect undead of up to 5 HD. If you then rolled a total of, say, 12 on your turning damage, you'd be able to turn up to 12 HD of undead, provided that none of the undead had more than 5 HD. You'd be able to turn up to three ghasts, for instance, or two wraiths.

Also
Animate dead (and commanding in dececrated altared area)

Base command - my HD x2
Dececrate + altar = HDx4
Adding Rod of undead mastery - double the HD capacity (is now x8?)
Deathbound domain feature + 50% HD control added - do I now have x12 my HD?
Anyone using animate dead would get full benefit while clerics can do half this? (Or full to cause rebuke?)

Thank you!!!1111

I might add more to this post ... >.>

In D&D, multiple doublings stack weirdly. You don't multiply them together; you count how many times you're doubling, then multiply by 1 less than that. Essentially, doubling means adding the original quantity to the current quantity, not multiplying the current quantity by 2. You've got two doublings, for a total of x3. The Deathbound domain changes the base number being multiplied, so you're ending with 3 * 3 = 9 times your HD worth of undead being created with each casting of animate dead.

Big Fau
2016-08-13, 09:49 PM
In D&D, multiple doublings stack weirdly. You don't multiply them together; you count how many times you're doubling, then multiply by 1 less than that. Essentially, doubling means adding the original quantity to the current quantity, not multiplying the current quantity by 2. You've got two doublings, for a total of x3. The Deathbound domain changes the base number being multiplied, so you're ending with 3 * 3 = 9 times your HD worth of undead being created with each casting of animate dead.

When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

Undead hit dice do not fall under a modifier or die roll.

Malimar
2016-08-13, 09:53 PM
Undead hit dice do not fall under a modifier or die roll.

But they are an abstract value, not a real-world value. "Such as" does not indicate an exhaustive list.

EoNhOeKnOwS
2016-08-14, 05:31 AM
Thanks for trying to explain all this, I think I understand the 1d20 roll and then the 2d6 roll.

I'm still very confused about animate dead though

Animate dead says you command max of x4 your caster level, mine will be 14

So that's 56 HD

Desecrate w/ altar deals with creation numbers instead of control so that won't help towards control, just raise larger HD undead? Even if they are uncontrolled that's ok

Anyways
I can command 56 HD worth of undead with animate dead
Rod of undead master "doubles" the control so this double makes it "56+14"? And if I have Deathbound it adds ... +7?

In my mind I see this as 14x4 = 56, then double with Rod which doubles to 112, then add Deathbound to add .5 which would ... Really be 112 x 1.5?

But that's not how it works? X_X