PDA

View Full Version : Baator vs darkness

Chewychunga
2016-08-13, 07:49 PM
Was wondering what people consider a better domain
I'm taking a 1lvl dip in cleric and thinking that blindfight would be cool but also saw baator ignores all darkness so looking for opinions
Strengths vs weaknesses for both would be great
Or even another domain

thethird
2016-08-13, 09:01 PM
If you get Baator (planar domain) you can only get that one. What's your class build?

enderlord99
2016-08-13, 09:02 PM
Um... Do you mean 'balor'? Baator is another name for the Nine Hells. I know that planes of existence don't generally care if it's dark or not (unless it's Neth, The Plane That Lives, of course), but this post doesn't really make sense, as is.

There's a Darkness Domain for Clerics, and there are also Planar Domains, one of which is Baator.

I was confused when reading the title, but the actual content of the post cleared it up for me.

EDIT: ...wait, what happened to the quoted post?:smallconfused:

Inevitability
2016-08-14, 01:34 AM
There's a Darkness Domain for Clerics, and there are also Planar Domains, one of which is Baator.

I was confused when reading the title, but the actual content of the post cleared it up for me.

EDIT: ...wait, what happened to the quoted post?:smallconfused:

It probably got deleted while you were making your own post. It doesn't happen often, so everyone take pictures!

Eisfalken
2016-08-14, 06:20 AM
With a quick look, I'd say got with Baator for spellcasting superiority, Darkness if you want a stealthier build. There's some pretty good spells on the Baator list for situational use. Darkness has a lot of stealth ability, and that armor of darkness is pretty boss; it's hard to get a really high deflection bonus without magic items.

Just remember, Baator domain takes up 2 domain choices, Darkness only uses up 1. The only way to get another domain is cloistered cleric (Knowledge domain can be exchanged for the feat Knowledge Devotion from Complete Champion, which is considered optimal in some builds), or with certain prestige classes.

My rule of thumb here is to look and see what spells those domains give that you can't get as a cleric (or whatever), then evaluate if those spells fit with what you're doing with your build, or if you can get it some other way (item or whatnot). Baator gets detect thoughts, a spell normally available only to wizards, but you can also get it with a magic item; armor of darkness is only available to those with the Darkness domain (and/or certain twisty methods of getting off-the-rail spells).

We'd need to know more what build you're doing. A lot of the choice depends on what you want to do.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-14, 06:55 AM
EDIT: ...wait, what happened to the quoted post?:smallconfused:I responded after reading the thread title and a too-quick skim over the text, but upon a more in-depth reread, I realized it wasn't about what I thought it was about and deleted my post.

Chewychunga
2016-08-14, 12:08 PM
Doing a scout build and dipping cloistered cleric for travel devotion due to limited feat slots only taking 1 level of cleric so only 1st level spells any good to me may be able to take 2 levels but don't see any advantage yet

thethird
2016-08-14, 01:23 PM
Doing a scout build and dipping cloistered cleric for travel devotion due to limited feat slots only taking 1 level of cleric so only 1st level spells any good to me may be able to take 2 levels but don't see any advantage yet

In that case darkness is the superior choice as you won't need to spend a feat for travel devotion.