PDA

View Full Version : Wand of Paralysis Question

Elite Hatter
2016-08-13, 08:55 PM
In the book It states that you make a ranged attack within 60 feet using your spell attack and if it hits they're auto paralyzed, for a minute. They make a saving throw at the end of their turns to try to end it early.

My question is what save? Is it Wis like for the Hold spells, or Con because they're trying to break out of being held since it's an auto effect? Also, does it really auto paralyze? That seems a tad OP. Considering it's the nastiest status in the game barring Death IMO.

smcmike
2016-08-13, 09:08 PM
Good question. It looks like the description is missing some text or something - "repeat the save" indicates maybe there SHOULD be an initial save?

RickAllison
2016-08-13, 09:12 PM
It's DC 15, check the errata for the DMG.

Elite Hatter
2016-08-13, 09:32 PM
Got it. That is significantly weaker than the original text. Thank you

RickAllison
2016-08-13, 09:37 PM
Got it. That is significantly weaker than the original text. Thank you

Welcome! Still a useful item, just not as useful.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-13, 11:40 PM
DC 15 is fantastic, most creatures don't even have a +3 to their Wis save last I checked.

Remember creatures only gain proficiency bonus IF their stat block gives it to you.

CR 1 Mimic only has a +1 Wis save. Would need a 14 to beat the save (30% success rate?).

CR 8 Hezrou only has a +4 to Wis saves (prof in them 1 wis + 3 prof). This creature would need to roll a 11 to pass the save. A CR 8 creature has about a 50/50 shot of passion g the save.

RickAllison
2016-08-13, 11:59 PM
DC 15 is fantastic, most creatures don't even have a +3 to their Wis save last I checked.

Remember creatures only gain proficiency bonus IF their stat block gives it to you.

CR 1 Mimic only has a +1 Wis save. Would need a 14 to beat the save (30% success rate?).

CR 8 Hezrou only has a +4 to Wis saves (prof in them 1 wis + 3 prof). This creature would need to roll a 11 to pass the save. A CR 8 creature has about a 50/50 shot of passion g the save.

It is tempered by also requiring a ranged attack roll. So you have to both beat their AC and they have to fail the save.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-14, 12:13 AM
It is tempered by also requiring a ranged attack roll. So you have to both beat their AC and they have to fail the save.

AC is not hard to beat in 5e. It doesn't get as ridiculous as 3e but it still isn't hard.

1d20 + (typically main stat so 3 to 5) + Prof (2 to 6)?

Hezrou has a 16 AC and and the Mimic had a 12. Not hard at all. With a +4 Modifier and a +4 Prof you will hit that Hezrou on a roll of 8.

This is without factoring in advantage from some source.

Not really an issue.

RickAllison
2016-08-14, 12:21 AM
AC is not hard to beat in 5e. It doesn't get as ridiculous as 3e but it still isn't hard.

1d20 + (typically main stat so 3 to 5) + Prof (2 to 6)?

Hezrou has a 16 AC and and the Mimic had a 12. Not hard at all. With a +4 Modifier and a +4 Prof you will hit that Hezrou on a roll of 8.

This is without factoring in advantage from some source.

Not really an issue.

For the Hezrou, that transforms the probability from a 50% chance of paralysis to only a 32.5% chance. Still great for a magic item, but I wouldn't say that isn't an issue.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-14, 12:45 AM
For the Hezrou, that transforms the probability from a 50% chance of paralysis to only a 32.5% chance. Still great for a magic item, but I wouldn't say that isn't an issue.

At level 8, which is what level your PC will be at.

You are looking at a 1d20+8 to your attack roll. To hit the AC 16, you need to roll an 8. That is a 35% chance at failure. That is fantastic. Hitting that AC is nothing, advantage is so easy to get in 5e so that increases your likelyhood.

RickAllison
2016-08-14, 08:50 AM
At level 8, which is what level your PC will be at.

You are looking at a 1d20+8 to your attack roll. To hit the AC 16, you need to roll an 8. That is a 35% chance at failure. That is fantastic. Hitting that AC is nothing, advantage is so easy to get in 5e so that increases your likelyhood.

Hitting that AC is not "nothing", and even level 20 PCs (+11) will still be missing on occasion, dropping the probability down to 40% instead of 50%.

Like I said, I am not contending that it isn't a powerful and very useful ability. But it is dishonest that say that the AC requirement "isn't an issue" or "is nothing". Especially when you consider that not all PCs who use the wand will be rocking maximum stats for its attack. Especially when even the best case scenario (max level PC, advantage) drops it by 2% and a more evenly leveled PC instead has the probability dropped by 6.125%. That last one isn't even negligible on a d20.

Elite Hatter
2016-08-14, 11:21 AM

Thank you for the math, but It's a Con save. AND from what I've seen a decent amount of creatures (especially CR 8 and up) have a good chance of passing. That's not even mentioning AC, that it has charges per day, or that it takes your action to use.

Elite Hatter
2016-08-14, 11:22 AM
It's definitely a decent item. But seems the risk doesn't necessarily match the reward. Like a DC 17 I think would be better.