PDA

View Full Version : Support Character Build Advice: Cleric/Ranger

HeyBJ
2016-08-13, 10:43 PM
Greetings, denizens of the Playground. I want to try to make a character around a Cleric/Ranger multi-class that's pretty much hands-off in combat. Specifically, I like the idea of having an animal companion and a spiritual weapon do all the fighting while my character stands back and buffs/heals when necessary. I'll be bringing him into Adventurer's League, so the build is going to be restricted to their parameters. That being said, I'd appreciate any and all advice on how to stat out the character, which levels should go towards Cleric and which to Ranger, what Cleric domain should I take, spell suggestions, etc. At the moment, I'm thinking Hill Dwarf, which would result in the following stats in a point buy:

STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 14 (+2) = 16
INT: 10
WIS: 15 (+1) = 16
CHA: 8

Have at it, and thanks in advance!

Tanarii
2016-08-13, 11:33 PM
Your biggest problem is going to be that Ranger's Companion HPs only increase with Ranger levels, not with Cleric levels. I've considered a Ranger 6 / Cleric X character for AL before, and that was my sticking point on not doing it.

Paeleus
2016-08-13, 11:44 PM
What are your reasons for the cleric/ranger choice? What individual class features are you targeting/looking forward to?

What's your thoughts on Druid?

HeyBJ
2016-08-14, 12:07 AM
Your biggest problem is going to be that Ranger's Companion HPs only increase with Ranger levels, not with Cleric levels. I've considered a Ranger 6 / Cleric X character for AL before, and that was my sticking point on not doing it.

Oof, that's right. That really kind of puts a dampener on things, doesn't it. Maybe Cleric spells like Aid or Warding Bond could offset that?

What are your reasons for the cleric/ranger choice? What individual class features are you targeting/looking forward to?

What's your thoughts on Druid?

Basically, I want to hang back and let the animal companion and spiritual weapon do all the fighting while I play a support role. I imagine the character grew up privileged and doesn't like getting his hands dirty.

Not too interested in Druid for this character. I'm kind of set on trying to play with essentially two pets doing my fighting for me.

Tanarii
2016-08-14, 11:09 AM
Oof, that's right. That really kind of puts a dampener on things, doesn't it. Maybe Cleric spells like Aid or Warding Bond could offset that?Almost certainly not given your intended approach to combat. Warding Bond is a good idea, but it conflicts with your spiritual weapon slots.

Basically, I want to hang back and let the animal companion and spiritual weapon do all the fighting while I play a support role.
The Beast Companion, even with Barding to up theAC, isn't really designed for this role. It gets wizard with Con 10 HPs per Ranger level. That's enough to survive skirmishing combat moving in and out of danger. Or if the Ranger is doing front line duty* possibly taking his place 1 out of every 3 rounds or so. Or being a mobile OA / space blocker either in between the front & back lines, or preventing flanking of the front lines (typical for Archers). But it won't be able to hang as your replacement, regular in the thick of melee.

If you're going to do this, you'll probably have to take Sentinel, take a huge two handed weapon, and move into the thick of things as a team. That does work just fine, as long as you have another melee party member, and you're ready to pull yourself or your companion back out if you run into problems.

I'd recommend Ranger --> 4 (Sentinel), Cleric --> 3 (Spiritual Weapon), Ranger --> X. That still leaves a pretty big danger zone with the companion stuck at 16 HP though. Chainshirt Barding on your Wolf is Mandatory. ;)

(*Assuming the party actually plays tactically enough to form 'lines', which is by no means true, especially in AL. It's a somewhat a lost art in D&D.)

Edit: fix quotes

Specter
2016-08-14, 01:01 PM
Yeah, beast companion is always bad for multiclassing. The biggest benefit a beast gets (extra HP) gets nerfed. I would suggest just conjuring a beast (druid) or getting a familiar (wiz/sorc).

Citan
2016-08-14, 06:00 PM
Greetings, denizens of the Playground. I want to try to make a character around a Cleric/Ranger multi-class that's pretty much hands-off in combat. Specifically, I like the idea of having an animal companion and a spiritual weapon do all the fighting while my character stands back and buffs/heals when necessary. I'll be bringing him into Adventurer's League, so the build is going to be restricted to their parameters. That being said, I'd appreciate any and all advice on how to stat out the character, which levels should go towards Cleric and which to Ranger, what Cleric domain should I take, spell suggestions, etc. At the moment, I'm thinking Hill Dwarf, which would result in the following stats in a point buy:

STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 14 (+2) = 16
INT: 10
WIS: 15 (+1) = 16
CHA: 8

Have at it, and thanks in advance!
Hi!
I unfortunately have to agree on other's comments about beast companion being frail. And since it's AL you can't even ask for a tweak. ^^

If you want to stick with it though...
- It can work if there is a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin in the frontlines with you (he can protect your beast and try to aggro).
- It can work if there is any people in your party willing to affect it with a classic buff.
- Warding Bond is indeed a great idea, but it's a 2nd level spell an you will be a half-caster so you couldn't count on it on a regular basis.
- the Share spell feature would greatly help you, with since it's Ranger 15, it will be either out of reach or your capstone so...
- Cast Shield of Faith on it in addition.
- Grab Mage Armour in any way (Magic Initiate, dip) and cast it on your beast (or have anyone else do it). Obviously the efficiency varies depending on the chosen beast. But on a Hawk for example, it's a net +3 AC (natural AC 13, DEX 16 = Mage Armor 16).

Or take another caster to get other buff spells like Haste...

Beyond this particular requirement pertaining Beast companion, the build depends on you.
If you want to be the most versatile, gish of all, Ranger 11 / Cleric 9 will be a good split. You get some exclusive 3rd level spells from Ranger (hello, Conjure Animals), Volley if you finally go Hunter, and other martial features. From Cleric, you get plenty of excellent spells and decent amount of spell slots. You can still get the companion feeling by taking Magic Initiate feat with the Find Familiar spell.

If you just want the beast companion for fluff and scouting, you can go as high as possible as a Cleric, up until 9th level spells.

If you really want the Ranger companion, then Ranger 15 / Cleric 5 seems the only reasonable breakpoint. Because Share Spell will go a long way and your animal will finally have decent HP. But in this case, I would say Wizard is better suited because you get several good spells for buffing that are "Self" (including Mirror Image and Blur).

Anyways, for the start, I'd say start as Ranger because it seems predominant for your concept (because of the beast), go up to 5 for Extra Attack, then dip Cleric 3 (Spiritual Weapon, more spell slots), Ranger 8, then as you wish...

EDIT: Or, forget about Cleric (at least high level), go Druid instead.
Go Ranger 5+ for the beast, go Moon Druid 8+. Polymorph your beast, Wild Shape yourself, and there you go, go bite everyone together!!!
Ok, I admit it's a pretty different concept than the one you exposed (staying back to support).
Just a thought (keep the Polymorph idea at least ^^).

"Because" of you, I now envision a stupid multiclass Cleric 3 / Druid 10 / Ranger 7, just for the sake of being able to protect the beast companion while burrowed (cast Warding Bond, cast Shield of Faith, cast Spiritual Weapon, Wild Shape as an Earth Elemental, follow your beast, laugh away at enemies not understanding while there is a lone spectral weapon striking them while your beast bites them, apparently impossible to hit)...

energyscholar
2016-08-14, 09:08 PM
@OP: The Ranger's Beast Companion just isn't going to work the way you want it to. By the time you are high enough level to have the companion it is so frail it can't stay in combat. The 5E designers saw how Animal Companions were abused in previous versions and made them weak and frail in 5E.

Why not go for a hands-off all-support Cleric or Cleric/Sorcerer or Cleric/Bard instead? Here's an all-cleric variant human approach that provides :

STR 10 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 10 WIS 16 CHA 14

Level 1 feat: Inspiring Leader
Domain: perhaps Light, to toss the occasional Fireball

This approach gives TERRIFIC support, in that you give Temp HP and Bless. Fight with Spiritual Weapon and the occasional Sacred Fire cantrip or Fireball. Heal foolish allies only as a last resort.

A variant that gives great support is a Cleric/Bard. Start with one level of Life Cleric, for heavy armor & strong heals, then go Bard.

STR 10 DEX 10 CON 14 INT 10 WIS 13 CHA 16
Level 1 feat: Inspiring Leader
Your Healing Word spells are super-strong, plus you can cast Bless and use Bardic Inspiration. Great support combo.

HeyBJ
2016-08-15, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys! But damn, I wish this were viable. Well, if my character in my home game dies, maybe I'll try to play this build with some tweaks allowed by the DM (maybe have the companion HP be based off of character level rather than Ranger level).

The alternatives y'all posted are pretty interesting though. Cleric/Bard, while a little MAD, looks pretty interesting as super flavorful support. Thanks again for the help, all! I've got some pondering to do.

Citan
2016-08-15, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys! But damn, I wish this were viable. Well, if my character in my home game dies, maybe I'll try to play this build with some tweaks allowed by the DM (maybe have the companion HP be based off of character level rather than Ranger level).

The alternatives y'all posted are pretty interesting though. Cleric/Bard, while a little MAD, looks pretty interesting as super flavorful support. Thanks again for the help, all! I've got some pondering to do.
Yeah, I think just this (bolded part) would be enough without being too powerful, and thematically coherent. ;)

Although I second the fact that Cleric Bard can be very powerful. I'm very fond of the Life Cleric 1 / Druid 1 / Lore Bard 18 combination. You lose the capstone (most people can live without very well ^^) and an ASI, you stay full caster (with lvl 9 Magic Secrets o/) but you get plenty of great lvl 1 spells and cantrips, and the Life Goodberry cheese.