PDA

View Full Version : Mimic as a weapon.

NickChaisson
2016-08-14, 02:04 AM
In a recent adventure the party encountered a mimic. I wrote it up as a young mimic and rp'd it that way. It was low on health and in a panic it disguised itself as the paladin's sword (laying on the ground and obviously not his actual sword). The paladin decided to spare it and wants to use it as a sword.

Me and the rest of the party are all fine with this. I did rule that it would be more like a magical item than a creature he could command (and it would lose some mimic abilities).

I'm looking for any ideas/suggestions for how I could stat this out in a somewhat balanced way (party is level 3).
So far it is just a weapon that can morph into any reasonable object/weapon at will (that is medium sized or less). Are there any issues with this that I'm not seeing?

Any replies are appreciated ^_^

Hrugner
2016-08-14, 02:13 AM
Is the mimic still subject to spell's and effects such as area of effect spells? What happens if the sword is feared, slept, or killed? Does the mimic want to escape?

This sounds pretty fun, I'd play pretty loose with it to keep it fun.

Gastronomie
2016-08-14, 02:53 AM
I'd have it grow together with the Paladin (as the Paladin gains levels, he gets stronger through maturation).

Perhaps start with a trait that has something to do with his adhesive trait. Like, if the wielder scores a crit, the enemy is grappled (the sword gets stuck to him). While grappled, the target gets 1d6 acid damage at the end of his every turn… stuff like that.

Regitnui
2016-08-14, 02:56 AM
That's actually a great 'familiar' for the paladin. I'd not limit its abilities, instead making it imprint on the paladin like a duckling. It's smart enough to know staying like a sword gets it food as reliably as disguises, so unless it loses control of its adhesive ability mid-battle, it's a fine weapon.

Of course, if it gets scared it might refuse to leave its sheath or turn into a smaller weapon. Perhaps even use its ablity to turn into a sticky shield like the Kuo-Toa's trait.

NNescio
2016-08-14, 03:28 AM
Did the Paladin player happen to read Dungeon Meshi?

Gastronomie
2016-08-14, 03:39 AM
Did the Paladin player happen to read Dungeon Meshi?*Shakes hands*

That one's more "animated armor" than "mimic" tho'.

Herobizkit
2016-08-14, 05:46 AM
I don't know about balanced, but letting the Mimic have a curious mind could be fun. As it grows older, it will want to test its shape-changing abilities and will start showing up all over the place instead of at the Paladin's side. Many 80's-90's cartoons had that over-eager, curious "animal/beast" tag-along that got its nose into everything. Great RP potential here if you're running a lighter-tone game.

Gastronomie
2016-08-14, 05:51 AM
I don't know about balanced, but letting the Mimic have a curious mind could be fun. As it grows older, it will want to test its shape-changing abilities and will start showing up all over the place instead of at the Paladin's side. Many 80's-90's cartoons had that over-eager, curious "animal/beast" tag-along that got its nose into everything. Great RP potential here if you're running a lighter-tone game.http://www-img2.dclog.jp/m/EntryImage?bid=6659503&eid=552647881&t=1421235211&sig=117addfd45b2b57e4afde02a275407f6&rid=12.jpg

Sir cryosin
2016-08-14, 07:50 AM
Um so you gave the paladin a creature and he going to swing it at people. You bastard your going to blunding a innocent creature to death. Just so your paladin have a cool weapon. Now that you under stand that. Make it when he has to use his lay on hands to keep it from dying. Here what I'm talking about the paladins lay on hands pool is temporarily hit point for the mimic. Then as the paladin grows in lv so does the mimic. And as the mimic grows it's body gets harder and tougher. To the point were the paladin don't need to feed it his lay on hands pool to keep it alive when in use.

Gastronomie
2016-08-14, 07:54 AM
Um so you gave the paladin a creature and he going to swing it at people. You bastard your going to blunding a innocent creature to death. Just so your paladin have a cool weapon. Now that you under stand that. Make it when he has to use his lay on hands to keep it from dying. Here what I'm talking about the paladins lay on hands pool is temporarily hit point for the mimic. Then as the paladin grows in lv so does the mimic. And as the mimic grows it's body gets harder and tougher. To the point were the paladin don't need to feed it his lay on hands pool to keep it alive when in use.Or just apply the Rule of Cool and have it that the mimic can harden enough to become a suitable weapon.

...Depends on the DM.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-08-14, 08:20 AM
Ancient red dragon: Muahahahaa! Cower before me, puny man-things!

Rogue: Muahahahaa! Cower before me, puny man-things!

ARD: Face my withering blast... what did you say?

Rogue: Face my withering blast... what did you say?

ARD: Are you mimicking me?

Rogue: Are you mimicking me?

ARD: I'm a lowly bug and I don't want any of that dragon treasure.

Rogue: Oh, great, then we'll help ourselves to some of it.

ARD: Aaarrgh! *dies*

Yuki Akuma
2016-08-14, 09:08 AM
This is an awesome idea.

I like the concept that it can 'grapple' enemies (with the mimic's adhesive properties). And/or possibly act as an 'Acidic' weapon. Perhaps a bonus against being disarmed because it can stick to the wielder's hand?

I'd probably rule that if it doesn't get used to attack anything edible for a while, Sir Paladin will need to feed it some of his rations.

Osrogue
2016-08-14, 11:57 AM
Hm, since it says that the mimic's abilities don't change no matter what form it's in, and it is a long sword, how about using the paladin's attack bonus, and the mimic's action bite, which adds 1d8 acid damage to the swing, and potentially pseudopod which adds the adhesive property. When the paladin uses these abilities, the sword needs to reveal its true nature. Eyes blink open along the center of the blade, the edges becomes lined with teeth, it drips acid, and when using the pseudopod attack, the blade takes on the appearance of a floppy purple tongue.

Probably should let the mimic become more powerful as well, if he sticks around. Anyway, whatever it ends up looking like, it seems pretty cool.

Battlebooze
2016-08-14, 02:40 PM
"Hey, my pet Mimic has turned into a helmet to protect my head! Cool!"

Moments later.

"ARGGGHHHHHURlllll WHY DID I PUT IT ON! HELP ME!"

Joe the Rat
2016-08-15, 10:01 AM
This would also be an awesome way to flavor a GOO Blade Warlock's pact weapon.

That's actually a great 'familiar' for the paladin. I'd not limit its abilities, instead making it imprint on the paladin like a duckling. It's smart enough to know staying like a sword gets it food as reliably as disguises, so unless it loses control of its adhesive ability mid-battle, it's a fine weapon.

Of course, if it gets scared it might refuse to leave its sheath or turn into a smaller weapon. Perhaps even use its ablity to turn into a sticky shield like the Kuo-Toa's trait.
Funny how the blood just seems to disappear off of the Paladin's blade.

Just because your paladin is immune to fear doesn't mean his weapon is. But it will benefit from the aura.

Personally, I think the idea of a young mimic accidentally losing control of it's adhesion to be hilarious.

But for some reason I think it should act like Rusty (instead of Mimic). "Eat goblin?"

AeonsShadow
2016-08-22, 06:14 PM
I'd say allow it to change its form /gain forms to turn into. Make a level sheet for it as it grows between "Mimic" levels and "weapon" levels.

Write up a level progression for both. As it levels in mimic, its base abilities such as bite, its transformations and its stickyness would grow better, as i bet they arent up to par, it being a young creature.

The weapon levels would allow it to gain hardness or become better weapons eventually letting it be able to emulate magical abilities such as a flaming or adamantine weapon. The farther it goes into the weapon levels, the more it would eventually become like a real weapon. Once it fully levels out its weapon levels it would cease to be a mimic and be concidered a regular magical weapon with an ego depending on its int.

I would say 5 levels for the weapon progreasion and 5 or 10 for mimic monster levels.