PDA

View Full Version : Optimization gnome monk help

T'ehk
2016-08-14, 12:40 PM
What's up playground , I've been off here for a while but we just started a new campaign and I made a new character. I am playing a forest gnome Link Shatterbone Kongolian monk with the urchin background. The idea is Bruce Lee meets Yoda little guy with a Napoleon complex and Robin Hood mentality. He has a soft spot for kids , underdogs and the "have nots". I know he won't be an optimized character but it sounds like he might be fun to play. 16 dex 14 wis 14 int 13 con 10 cha 8 str. With free minor illusion I think a sneaky shadow monk is the move so I'm thinking take the mobile feat at lvl 4 then pump my dex to 18 at lvl 8. I like the defensive dualist feat for a proficiency bonus to AC as a reaction but is it worth the bump to wis ? I doubt I ever get to higher lvls (I plan to be somewhat mouthy and just hope I can back it up or my team can bail me out) my party consists of a dragonborn paladin a dwarf druid and a half elf bard. Anyone have any experience playing something similar ? I'm also looking at the tough feat and the magic initiate feat. Any and all random feedback is appreciated. Anything you can add share or suggest helps.

bid
2016-08-14, 01:39 PM
Str8 Dex16 Con14 Int12 Wis14 Cha10 might be better, you could Int14/Cha8 too.

Feats are a little tight, you really want Dex20/Wis20 and that'd leave no feat.

Mobile allows you to hide behind melee which will save you from most attacks. You'll want a good spell DC for stunning strike, and you already start behind.

T'ehk
2016-08-14, 07:18 PM
Str8 Dex16 Con14 Int12 Wis14 Cha10 might be better, you could Int14/Cha8 too.

Feats are a little tight, you really want Dex20/Wis20 and that'd leave no feat.

Mobile allows you to hide behind melee which will save you from most attacks. You'll want a good spell DC for stunning strike, and you already start behind.

Any particular reason for higher cha ? I like the higher int because that's what my minor illusion uses and I plan to use it often. Probably would just take mobile then pump my dex and wis figure out the rest later. That defensive dualist feat for a proficiency bonus to AC sounds like it would go a long way twds keeping me less squishy but 2 feats leaves me 18 max dex and wis. Str 8 because he's a 50 lb gnome cha 10 int 12 (+2) 13 con 14 wis 15 dex (+1) proficient in strength acrobatics sleight of hand and stealth.