PDA

View Full Version : Oldschool?

Ph34r
2007-07-05, 08:17 PM
Are you oldschool if you play D&D?

Stick_Ninja
2007-07-05, 08:19 PM
I don't think so. I mean, hey, I'm only 16 and I don't think that qualifies oldschool at all.

SensFan
2007-07-05, 08:28 PM
I don't think so. I mean, hey, I'm only 16 and I don't think that qualifies oldschool at all.
QFT. BLAHBLAHBLAH

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-05, 08:36 PM
Fifteen.

But yes, you are.

Dhavaer
2007-07-05, 08:48 PM
I've been told yes. Although the person who did the telling isn't entirely normal, either. But who is?

Matthew
2007-07-05, 09:03 PM
You're only 'Old School' if you play (O)D&D or (A)D&D. In no way does playing D&D 3.x count as 'Old School'.

kpenguin
2007-07-05, 09:05 PM

Depends on who you talk to. If you're talking to hardened RPG veterans, old school is AD&D or older. If you're talking to MMO players, old school is anything tabletop.

Diggorian
2007-07-05, 09:33 PM
Old School?

My first PC was rolled Method 1: 3d6, take'em straight as they come, no place to taste. Highest stat 14, lowest 4, and was grateful for that 14. If your stats werent high enough masters of your desired class would turn you away, forever.

THAC0, rolling under ability scores, negative AC was great, non-weapon proficiencies, bending bars lifting gates, saves vs. Death, system shock, resurrection survival, premature aging from Haste ... that's the D&D, the Advanced D&D, I started with. That's Old school.

I'm old school like Optimus Prime whereing a walkman playing the Krush Groove soundtrack while break dancing :smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-05, 09:44 PM
Old School?

My first PC was rolled Method 1: 3d6, take'em straight as they come, no place to taste. Highest stat 14, lowest 4, and was grateful for that 14. If your stats werent high enough masters of your desired class would turn you away, forever.

THAC0, rolling under ability scores, negative AC was great, non-weapon proficiencies, bending bars lifting gates, saves vs. Death, system shock, resurrection survival, premature aging from Haste ... that's the D&D, the Advanced D&D, I started with. That's Old school.

I'm old school like Optimus Prime whereing a walkman playing the Krush Groove soundtrack while break dancing :smallbiggrin:

Same here, but I rolled a natural 18/76 (that;s right, exceptional STR) for my very first roll.

D&D is not old school. It's nerdy. There is a very slight distinction to be made there.

Damionte
2007-07-05, 10:28 PM
You're old school if you play 2nd edition and below.

If you're still playing 3rd edition though compared to 3.5 you're not old school, you're cheap.

herrhauptmann
2007-07-05, 10:32 PM
Ahh bend bars/lift gates...
Was so awesome. Watched our necromancer lift a portcullis as we stormed a castle. 1% chance, and he did it. Now if only I could remember what happened that got him so upset.

Lemur
2007-07-05, 10:34 PM
I'd only consider first edition old school at this point. Give second edition some time, it hasn't even been a decade since 3.X came out.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-06, 03:49 AM
How can the latest edition of anything be old school?

MaxKaladin
2007-07-06, 09:50 AM
I'd say only 1e and earlier are "old school".

Tormsskull
2007-07-06, 09:54 AM

Old school is a purely subjective term. When I say old school I mean Old D&D. That's the edition I started on and I try to keep the spirit of that edition in mind when playing all further editions.

Also, since the take over of TSR by WotC I think D&D has become more popular as a hobby. I don't think just because someone picks up a 3.5 book and starts playing D&D they are "oldschool".

Of course, like kpenguin said, MMO players might think so.

Dizlag
2007-07-06, 10:30 AM
You're "old school" if you've ever experienced the following:

Played the character CLASS called an "Elf"
Calculated THAC0
Had the same amount of XP as the thief (yes, THIEF! Not Rogue! Hehehe), but the bugger was still 3 levels higher than you! LOL

And the number one thing that will prove if you're "old school" or not ...

Had that white crayon to fill in the numbers on your dice, then after 10 years couldn't read the damn things because all the numbers were "empty".

:smallbiggrin:

Dizlag

bosssmiley
2007-07-06, 12:57 PM
You're "old school" if you've ever experienced the following:

Played the character CLASS called an "Elf"
Calculated THAC0
Had the same amount of XP as the thief (yes, THIEF! Not Rogue! Hehehe), but the bugger was still 3 levels higher than you! LOL

*shudders* in recognition.

Old school D&D player? Red Box.
Old school AD&D player? Orange Spines.

:smallwink:

And the number one thing that will prove if you're "old school" or not ...

Had that white crayon to fill in the numbers on your dice, then after 10 years couldn't read the damn things because all the numbers were "empty".

:smallbiggrin:

*shows Gnollengrom towards Living Ancestor Dizlag*

You make me feel like a young and callow beardling again. :smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2007-07-06, 01:07 PM
Are you oldschool if you play D&D?Only if you play pre-2nd edition AD&D.