PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Suggestions for renewing interest in the game / level 10 wizard ideas?

charlesk
2016-08-14, 03:11 PM
After 2 years playing 5e nearly continuously once a week, I feel like I'm hitting the wall. I'm not enjoying the game nearly as much as I used to. All of the classes and class options seem familiar and uninteresting. And I am really struggling with the RNG nature of the game.

I'm currently in the middle of an Out of the Abyss session, and honestly I think part of it is this module, which I'm really struggling with. Part of the problem was being left with the healer/divine role, for which I have now tried three different characters and can't find one that really gels. My current one is a Paladin 2 / Barbarian 1 / Druid 6 which sounds weird but actually has worked pretty well due to interesting synergies, such as being able to rage and smite in animal form. But druid falls behind the curve as levels advance and the deep multiclass has made this even worse.

More than that, I am really having a hard time with dice rolls lately. i come up with some cool idea, execute it to perfection, and then the whole thing falls apart because I get a 2 on a critical roll. Today it was a beholder fight and a 3 and a 4 even after using inspiration to save on a death effect, ruining what I thought was a pretty creative way to get into melee range so I could try to smite it. This was just one incident, but every week it seems to be like this.

Another player is also bored of his character and may roll a cleric, which would mean I would need to fill the arcane slot. We really need a wizard as we haven't had one thus far and it is starting to hurt us badly, but none of the options is really grabbing me. We're about to level up to 10 which is a good spot for wizard since they get a class feature. Any suggestions?

If the other player goes wizard then I need to do level 10 cleric and I have even fewer ideas there. :(

We are mostly just using the core PHB. Our DM has allowed us to sub in spells from the EE by request but I don't think any SCAG or most UA stuff would be allowed.

Thanks.

Vorpalchicken
2016-08-14, 06:00 PM
How about an enchanter? Double target Holds, Suggestions and Dominate Persons..

Elminster298
2016-08-14, 08:13 PM
I mentioned in a different thread the most fun character I've played in 5th ed and it just happens to be a full caster...though not a full wizard. Lightfoot Halfling Diviner 2/Lore Bard X with the lucky feat. Amazing party help between portent, inspiration, and cutting words. Excellent enemy control spells as well as a handful of decent blast spells if you feel you need them through magical secrets. Mechanically it is an incredibly solid control mage but moreso is an amazing role play character. I have mine a convoluted pirate background but there are so many that open great chances for storytelling.

charlesk
2016-08-15, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I played a bard in our last campaign and it's probably my fave but the party really needs a full wizard. I am just having a hard time deciding which variety. :)

Gastronomie
2016-08-15, 08:56 AM
Another player is also bored of his character and may roll a cleric, which would mean I would need to fill the arcane slot. We really need a wizard as we haven't had one thus far and it is starting to hurt us badly, but none of the options is really grabbing me. ...(snip)... If the other player goes wizard then I need to do level 10 cleric and I have even fewer ideas there. :(I think it's this sense of class duty that is hurting your fun. You should just play whatever class you want, and not be restricted by "what the party needs most".

The way I see it, if no one in the party wants to be a cleric, the DM should simply permit them to take the classes they want and hand out more potions than normal instead. Or if it's OOTA, maybe create a new type of fungi that acts like potions if brewed/cooked/whatever.

Why do you think the wizard is so important? Is it the rituals, or is it the field control/buffing/supporting?

If it's the former, there's other options like the Tomelock. If it's the latter, Lore Bards are arguably just as good.

charlesk
2016-08-15, 10:23 AM
The DM has actually been really good about this, for example allowing us to use healing surges and to craft potions on a regular basis to avoid the cleric having to be a "healbot".

I don't mind playing a wizard as I haven't played one before. We really just are constantly lacking utility casting ability and I think it would really help a lot for the rest of the campaign, plus level 10 is around when wizards really start to hit their stride.

So I m trying to talk myself into this. I also need to decide what kind of course. I tried abjuration once and it didn't work nearly as well as I hoped, but it was only level 4 so the arcane ward was weak and there were few spells I could use to regenerate it. At leavel 10, with the ability to cast Shield, Counterspell, Banishment and the like multiple times, it could be much better.

My DM is still concerned about "ritual cheese" recharging the ward between combats. I've tried to tell her that this is allowed RAW and that most DMs don't find it broken, but she's unconvinced thus far. :)

XmonkTad
2016-08-15, 02:17 PM
If unlucky rolls are what's messing you up, you love planning and scheming, and your party needs a wizard, then an illusionist is the solution to your woes. I really only recommend the illusionist to experienced players, who know their DMs. But if you want to pull off complicated, convoluted, often silly plans, then this is my go-to class.

Malleable illusions are the reason to grab this archetype. It's what really allows you to come up with creative solutions to most problems. Since you're level 10, you can also nix one attack per rest, which can save your squishy wizard life.

If you go pure wizard, then this comes with all the usual wizard goodies (5th level spells!) But if you want to multiclass, there are a bunch of options. In your case, I'd stick with single class for now, but maybe dip 2 levels of warlock for Misty Visions (unlimited silent image).

charlesk
2016-08-15, 02:46 PM
Well the DM is my wife, so I do know her pretty well. :) The problem I think is with me... I consider myself a creative person but I never seem to be able to come up with illusions that are useful in combat. No matter what I create, it ends up boiling down to "monster interacts with it, sees it is an illusion, ignores it". I know I can do better, but I'm not sure how. To be fair, I only have experience with low-level illusions, not high-level ones.

The level 14 illusionist ability is so powerful as to be almost broken. Before that, I would not be sure what to do.

I am a notorious dipper and have never played a straight character in 2 years in 5e. I am either going pure this time or limiting myself to a Cleric 1 / Wizard X mini-dip, which I think brings a lot to the table. This does mean being behind by 1 level on progression and not having an 8th level spell at the end of the module. In exchange, I gain much survivability and flexibility, and can act as a backup healer. I would probably go knowledge cleric, which seems like an odd choice, but expertise in Arcana and another skill would be enormously useful, especially if I go abjurer. When I first started playing I didn't pay much attention to these int-type skills, but I do now. :) Light domain would also probably be useful.

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated.

XmonkTad
2016-08-15, 03:15 PM
The problem I think is with me... I consider myself a creative person but I never seem to be able to come up with illusions that are useful in combat. No matter what I create, it ends up boiling down to "monster interacts with it, sees it is an illusion, ignores it". I know I can do better, but I'm not sure how. To be fair, I only have experience with low-level illusions, not high-level ones.

The level 14 illusionist ability is so powerful as to be almost broken. Before that, I would not be sure what to do.

Ah, the best illusions are the ones that aren't ever interacted with. If I wasn't on my phone I'd look up an illusionist guide. But if illusionist is a no-go, why not a diviner? Add in the lucky feat and never worry about bad rolls again!

charlesk
2016-08-15, 03:50 PM
I dunno, to me the diviner seems like a one-trick pony. A very good trick mind you, and I actually would like to play a diviner who actually uses divination spells. But the best ones are all cleric, not wizard. :(

Considering the Lucky feat but as a wizard I have to crank my Int up to 20 and I probably need Warcaster so I probably can't do it. :/

I agree that the best illusions are out of combat. But I don't need to specialize in illusions for that.