PDA

View Full Version : Images, Videos, and Other Sources of Inspiration

RickAllison
2016-08-14, 07:07 PM
Where do you get your inspiration from? This thread is just to compile some of the fun and awesome places that you draw, have drawn, or will draw from for your campaigns. To start with, I have a music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAD0BtEv6-Q#t=91.667578

When I see this, I could see tying it into several different kinds of campaigns. For D&D, I could see a similar kind of magic opening up a way to another plane, especially to someplace strange like the Feywild. But the most direct application I can see of this is for World of Darkness or a similar world, especially Changeling. The idea of a mysterious path drawing the players into a world of magic both fascinating and scary seems like a great way to start a campaign!

weckar
2016-08-15, 05:54 AM
Although I appreciate the intent, I find this a rather dangerous topic as you are literally opening the doors for ANYTHING to be posted. Everyone's creative mind works differently, after all. I could post Monty Python skits, I could post links to my favourite movies... in the end, little to none of it will be universally applicable and effectively an even-less-ordered version of google's video/image search....

SirBellias
2016-08-15, 10:38 PM
My inspiration is largely derived from books and the fantasy art threads already present on these forums. Though if I do see a character in a movie or show I like I incorporate some of their elements into a concept.

Example sources:
Arrow (Slade Wilson/Deathstroke)
Terry Pratchett (All Books Thereof)
The King in Yellow (The bits I remember)
H.P. Lovecraft (All Stories Thereof)