PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wizard VMC Witch Question: Familiar

Levism84
2016-08-14, 10:39 PM
If I wanted to have a wizard with the spell sage archetype take the variant multiclass option for witch, could the vmc witch's familiar act as the wizard's spell book (like a witch) or would the familiar be unable to hold the wizard's spells due to the fact they are wizard spells, not witch spell?

Just a question. Thanks for your time.

Recherché
2016-08-14, 11:25 PM
By RAW no. There's nothing in the spellsage archetype that alters the base wizard spellbound and there's nothing in the witch VMC that even suggests you use your witch familiar to store the witch can trips. It'd also make things kinda odd with learning spells. Witches don't have a cost to learn spells but that's sort of balanced by the fact that they can't back them up their spellbook. Also witch familiars can't learn spells directly from a wizard spellbook or teach spells to wizards. So it'd make teaching and learning spells awkward. I'd say to talk to your DM and see if they'd houserule it.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-14, 11:55 PM
Witch's Familiar: At 3rd level, she gains a familiar, treating her character level as her effective witch level.
Note that although it grants you a familiar, it doesn't grant you the Witch's Familiar class feature, so your familiar's abilities scale with your character level but you only get the stuff granted to all familiars (link, share spells, etc).

Zhentarim
2016-12-22, 11:01 AM
I have a similar question:

If I am an ancestors witch that goes VMC diviner wizard, at level 3 do I now have 2 familiars? Also, do their bonuses stack?

Serafina
2016-12-22, 01:03 PM
Familiars are one of those class features that stack by default, so you ought to progress your familiar with the combined levels.
Note that this isn't particularly powerful - a lot of what your familiar gets is determined by your own HD, BAB and saves, which aren't change by this. You will speed up access to later features (spell resistance, scry on familiar etc.), as well as the natural armor bonus and intelligence increase. Those are capped out at level 20 by default though, and aren't particularly broken.

That might change with some archetypes - a Mauler familiar would gain more Strenght with no level 20 limit - but even then it ought to be fine.

Zhentarim
2016-12-22, 01:38 PM
Familiars are one of those class features that stack by default, so you ought to progress your familiar with the combined levels.
Note that this isn't particularly powerful - a lot of what your familiar gets is determined by your own HD, BAB and saves, which aren't change by this. You will speed up access to later features (spell resistance, scry on familiar etc.), as well as the natural armor bonus and intelligence increase. Those are capped out at level 20 by default though, and aren't particularly broken.

That might change with some archetypes - a Mauler familiar would gain more Strenght with no level 20 limit - but even then it ought to be fine.

So in a way, it is like being twice my level?

Recherché
2016-12-23, 02:29 AM
So in a way, it is like being twice my level?

In a few ways it is till level 10. That being said I'd actually ask the GM if you could exchange it for something else because the double familiar growth is balanced really weirdly.