PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Vote! What racial (paragon) class would you like to see?

Zaydos
2016-08-15, 01:30 AM
So first things first I am not dead. Just disappeared for a bit because RL reasons, and then shame at having done so, and should be back now.

Ok on to the actual point of this thread.

I have decided I will make either a racial paragon class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) or a full base class based upon the same basic concept (so a 20 level class exploring the heights of dwarfiness), and I have also in my magnanimous arrogance decided to let you the playgrounder(s) vote for which race should get the honor from the list below.

There's more! You also get to vote on whether it should be a paragon class or a 20 level class with limitations (if I am willing to try a 20 level class it will be listed separately in the list). Also as a special limited time offer* if you vote for a paragon class (as opposed to full 20 level class) you may vote on whether it should, like the official ones, end with a level that gives +2 to an ability score as its only class feature (potentially also advancing casting) or should give it some class feature of some sort. In addition if voting for a 20 level class for a race with LA you can vote on whether it should be 19 or 20 levels.

So what are your options you ask? Well that would be the list below:

Aasimar Base Class (20 or 19 level) Possibly gains Outsider chassis, and probably emphasizes embracing celestial heritage.
Aasimar Paragon (BONUS: Re-vamped Tiefling Paragon because it is the worst and most unusable paragon class in the book and revamp takes 5 minutes)
Azurin Paragon Gets some incarnum progression of some sort.
Blue (psionic goblin) Paragon Weak chassis, good 1st level ability, advances Psion at 2nd and 3rd with poorer abilities.
Changeling Base Class Shapeshifter-rogue.
Changeling Paragon Idk
Dragonblood Paragon Might possibly get dragon chassis and some minor dragon themed abilities
Dwarf Base Class Full BAB, non-initiating, gets some stances for changing up combat style, and anti-magic stuff, also item creation? Something.
Gnome Base Class Illusion magic, decent-good combat, something like a more light armor/dex based illusion-duskblade.
Goliath Paragon No clue!
Half-Giant Paragon Goliath Paragon with Psy War progression!
Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) Paragon I will not make it make you an ogre over 4 levels.
Hengeyokai Paragon More fluid animal forms, culminating in some minor wild shape?
Hobgoblin Base Class (20 or 19 level) Extensive initiating from Iron Heart with a melee chassis and a bit of assassination/masochism.
Hobgoblin Paragon I don't know.
Lizardfolk 17/18-level Base Class Have to look at Lizardfolk Kings in 2e to see if they got casting.
Lizardfolk Paragon Probably an increase to nat armor, some swimming stuff?
Minotaur Paragon (consequently stronger for ECL 8 before entry reasons) Powerful Build is going in it..
Vanara Paragon 2 versions one for 3.0 and one for Dragon update vanara.
Warforged Paragon Umm...

Voting ends... whenever I feel like it... so vote now and don't forget secondary vote (+2 to ability score for 3rd level of paragon or spread wings and limits? Or 20 - LA levels for base class or assume LA buyoff?). In addition you may make another bonus vote from the list below:

I dislike voting.
I like voting for things.
I like being able to vote for things to be made.
Zaydos is a foolish peanut and my chocolate legions will crush him.
These options are stupid.
Skeletor was the best cartoon villain.
Nuh-uh Frieza!

*: Time limit is arbitrary and equal to the time limit for voting in general. Read white text for bonus messages!

khadgar567
2016-08-15, 01:34 AM
So first things first I am not dead. Just disappeared for a bit because RL reasons, and then shame at having done so, and should be back now.

Ok on to the actual point of this thread.

I have decided I will make either a racial paragon class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) or a full base class based upon the same basic concept (so a 20 level class exploring the heights of dwarfiness), and I have also in my magnanimous arrogance decided to let you the playgrounder(s) vote for which race should get the honor from the list below.

There's more! You also get to vote on whether it should be a paragon class or a 20 level class with limitations (if I am willing to try a 20 level class it will be listed separately in the list). Also as a special limited time offer* if you vote for a paragon class (as opposed to full 20 level class) you may vote on whether it should, like the official ones, end with a level that gives +2 to an ability score as its only class feature (potentially also advancing casting) or should give it some class feature of some sort. In addition if voting for a 20 level class for a race with LA you can vote on whether it should be 19 or 20 levels.

So what are your options you ask? Well that would be the list below:

Changeling Paragon
Changeling Base Class
Warforged Paragon
Hengeyokai Paragon
Vanara Paragon
Dwarf Base Class
Lizardfolk Paragon
Lizardfolk 17/18-level Base Class
Aasimar Base Class (20 or 19 level)
Dragonblood Paragon
Hobgoblin Paragon
Hobgoblin Base Class (20 or 19 level)
Goliath Paragon
Half-Giant Paragon
Azurin Paragon
Aasimar Paragon (BONUS: Re-vamped Tiefling Paragon because it is the worst and most unusable paragon class in the book and revamp takes 5 minutes)
Gnome Base Class
Blue (psionic goblin) Paragon
Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) Paragon
Minotaur Paragon (consequently stronger for ECL 8 before entry reasons).

Voting ends... whenever I feel like it... so vote now and don't forget secondary vote (+2 to ability score for 3rd level of paragon or spread wings and limits? Or 20 - LA levels for base class or assume LA buyoff?). In addition you may make another bonus vote from the list below:

I dislike voting.
I like voting for things.
I like being able to vote for things to be made.
These options are stupid.
Skeletor was the best cartoon villain.
Nuh-uh Frieza!

*: Time limit is arbitrary and equal to the time limit for voting in general.
good to see you zaydos my choice is bolded but prefer succubus base class using direstirges re calculated crs

Eno Remnant
2016-08-15, 06:02 PM
Aasimar base class would be very cool. Probably with buy-off assumed.

Good to see you, Zaydos! You had me a little worried that you'd stopped 'brewing!

Also, Klarion the Witch Boy is obviously the best cartoon villain. This is a shameless plug for my new homebrew class, Wielder of the Missing Ache, for anyone looking for white text.

ImperatorV
2016-08-15, 08:45 PM
The one I'm most intrigued by is the Aasimar Base class - I'd be interested to see what you do with it. For the secondary vote, I'd say include LA buyoff.

caledscratcher
2016-08-15, 08:50 PM
Gnome base class! And it's good to see you back

Zaydos
2016-08-15, 10:18 PM
So for current tally

Aasimar Base Class leads with 3.
Gnome Base Class trails with 1.

For Aasimar I'm thinking giving them a variety of pick one of 2 abilities with Cha and Wis options and either a special bonus for picking a mix of stats (Wis abilities which get just better if you have enough Cha abilities and vice versa) or just trying to make them synergistic so that the Charisma abilities complement the Wisdom ones better (of course one has to be careful doing this that it's worth the MAD and that's one reason to have the option of picking all Wis or all Cha abilities). Either that or possibly draw a lot on half-celestial, it's still in the really vague drawing board (unlike strangely changeling).

PapaQuackers
2016-08-15, 10:37 PM
Gnome would be fun if it were dragonlance like.

Also vandall savage is the best cartoon villain. Please check your privilege.

Zaydos
2016-08-15, 11:37 PM
Lots of DC fans I see :P

On the Gnome class I will note it'd probably go more the classic rock gnome* route instead of the Dragonlance tinker gnome route. Tinker gnomes would need some invention system and then some means to keep their comedy relief status without making them too much of a joke to be a serious PC thing. So more stealthy warrior-illusionist than techie. I am not setting out to make a whole new subsystem here.

* In this case classic as in the 2e Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings as opposed to classic as in it's the default subrace.

Hashmalum
2016-08-15, 11:54 PM
Lizardfolk paragon. Give it a class feature--perhaps something to do with trident wielding? The Lizard King from prior editions had some special trident attack features. Also, I like voting for things.

Draconium
2016-08-16, 12:07 AM
Zaydos! Long time no see. Glad to see you're back around.

I personally vote for Dragonblood paragon. Because I have a problem. :smalltongue: Secondary vote is "spread wings and limits" for a paragon class, and for my bonus vote...

...What? Someone was gonna pick it eventually.

AtlasSniperman
2016-08-16, 12:26 AM
ooooh! A hobgoblin Paragon Prestige? Yes please!
I would leap on a Kenku Paragon Prestige, but it's not there, so I'll go for second fav race :P

Zaydos
2016-08-16, 12:42 AM
New tally

Aasimar Base Class 3
Gnome Base Class 1 or 2?
Dragonblood Paragon 1
Hobgoblin Paragon 1
Lizardfolk Paragon 1

If Lizardfolk win I'll have to find where I stowed my old 2e MM to look up how Lizardmen Kings worked and their skewer attack (I loved lizardfolk as a kid).

And I almost did include Kenku as a paragon (but not full 20 level class) option but then realized I had no ideas and wanted to see how this went over before really going dumpster diving into MMIII and later for obscure races.

Also... Chocolate will never defeat Peanut Butter! NEVER!!!!! Wait... what's that? No! It cannot be! Not Nutella!

Eldan
2016-08-16, 08:41 AM
My problem here, how different would an Asimar base class really be from a Favoured Soul? Or a gnome base class from a beguiler?

Something exotic please.
Changeling base class.

dragonjek
2016-08-16, 10:28 AM
I'll place my vote in for the Gnome class.

Will you make ACF for subraces?

Also, Azula was the best cartoon villain.

PapaQuackers
2016-08-16, 01:46 PM
Gnomes it is even ifnot tinkery q.q

Azula was good. Uncle Iroh might actually be the best animated character in general though.

khadgar567
2016-08-16, 02:04 PM
this is not the treat were the zaydos makes your favorite anime character
personal favorite natsu from fairy tail

ShiningStarling
2016-08-16, 02:18 PM
Welcome back Zaydos ^_^

I vote for Changeling, though whether it be a base class or traditional 3 level is less important. Regardless, should definitely be cool features rather than +2 ability score.

As for tertiary voting, I for one welcome our combined dessert overlords, be they nutty or chocolatey in nature, with a combination possibly being the most powerful force in this or any cosmos.

Zaydos
2016-08-16, 04:45 PM
New tally:
Aasimar Base Class 3
Gnome Base Class 3
Changeling Base Class 2 (just going consolidating with Oblivimancer's so it is more likely to matter)
Dragonblood Paragon 1
Hobgoblin Paragon 1
Lizardfolk Paragon 1

Super Secret Conspiracy Text: At least one paragon class is likely to get made irregardless of whether it wins or loses just because I've got its mechanics 75% done, though if it wins it might not end up with +2 Ability at 3rd.

So as you can see our Gnomish contestant has pulled abreast with the Aasimar. Still the Changeling is fast approaching on their heels! Can our favorite scaled darkhorse pull forward to meet the three? Can the iron discipline of Maglubiyet's legions pull them to shore? What about the infinite appeal of draconic characters?! Find out... I will not close voting before Sunday... and if there's a tie I will not close until Monday at the earliest I am quite likely to wait till past Sunday/Monday anyway based purely on mood and my tendency to not like closing voting on these sorts of things until I've made the material (which is actually really stupid but hey).

Ok, more seriously to respond to specific things...

Gnome is planned with a greater martial focus than Beguiler (and worse casting from just Illusion and select druid spells that play on their forest underhill lifestyle). Aasimar... I'm going to avoid giving casting (maaaaaybe give invocations and quite likely give class assigned SLAs) for just that reason since it'd be so easy to use a slightly altered Favored Soul. Even so Changeling is probably shaping up to be more unique.

As for subrace based ACFs the answer is a strong... probably not. I haven't actually made anything yet beyond mental white board scratchings (unlike for some others where there's word doc scratchings) but odds are subracial ACFs will only be a thing if something stands out as easily swappable with an ability that springs to mind. Thinking over the gnomish subraces that come immediately to mind... Tinker gnome's ACF would be sans casting and on a canned gish with more casting focus than pal/ran (closer to probably Duskblade/Hexblade) that'd be a massive ACF and what comes to mind is (limited) martial initiating which doesn't fit tinker gnomes. Forest gnomes might be easier, I'd need to recall their 3.5 stats. Whisper gnomes are a possibility... Chaos gnomes... Deep gnomes too if I remember they exist. Possibly give them each a subrace based packet of spells. I don't know been busy today and I'm wiped so mental faculties are low. Questions like this are good, though, it hadn't occurred to me to make subrace ACFs and now it is percolating in my brain.

Next on the list um...

I prefer Erza, or Gray, to Natsu most of the time, though I read the manga instead of watching the anime, and none of the FT characters would be my favorite anime character (not sure who would be but not one of them).

And yes our combined power make even Darkseid, and Galactus whatever Marvel villain has one upped Galactus this time (it's Doom isn't it?) tremble with terror.

thoroughlyS
2016-08-16, 11:39 PM
Considering that both the Blue and Hobgoblin are on the ballot, I am sad to see that my favorite of the bunch has not gained favor. I strongly ask that you consider Goblin. If that can't be done, I would still like to see a goblinoid win (and seeing as how Hobgoblin already has 1 vote) I second that notion.

[Hobgoblin Paragon Class]
-OR-
[Goblin Paragon Class]

Seeing s the Hobgoblin's racial ability adjustments are already slightly stronger than is usual, while their racial abilities list is sorely lacking, I would like to see them given some depth.

[3rd-level Class Feature]

[I like being able to vote for things to be made.]

Vertharrad
2016-08-17, 02:13 AM
Aasimar base class.

Zaydos
2016-08-17, 01:58 PM
New Tally:

Aasimar Base Class 4
Gnome Base Class 3
Changeling Base Class 2
Hobgoblin Paragon 2
Dragonblood Paragon 1
Lizardfolk Paragon 1

Our hobgoblin starts its forward march leaving the scaly twosome even further behind, as the infinite appeal of draconic PCs languors in the back, our gnomish runner's fans can naught but feel dismay as the aasimar pulls ahead once more. The little celestial blood is running hard and fast and it seems no one might be able to catch up to them.

Ok more seriously votes tallied. As for why no Goblin Paragon it'd simply be because I like hobgoblins and blues more than baseline goblins and hobgoblins have more cultural stuff to go with while at the same time having less paths mechanically suggested via their racial abilities. That said if people like this enough and will keep voting I'll probably run strings of this so goblins might be on the next one.

Digitalfruitz
2016-08-17, 02:27 PM
Hey zaydos! I'd love to see the gnome class more than any of the others. If I get a second vote I'd pick the changeling class

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-17, 05:20 PM
Quite a lineup we have here. The Sublime Way demands I request the Hobgoblin Base Class, but the lover of D&D trivia in me would adore a closer look at Hengeyokai and Lizardfolk...

I'm gonna have to go with Vanara Racial Paragon, because monkeys. Also, 2-for-1 offers appeal to the lazy cheapskate in me, whose voice is so much louder than all the others. Please, Spread your wings and fly freely!

Zaydos's hard-shelled peanut army would crush my soft chocolate bunny nation.

Temotei
2016-08-17, 06:00 PM
Blue paragon!

Zaydos
2016-08-17, 06:43 PM
New tally:

Aasimar Base Class 4
Gnome Base Class 4
Changeling Base Class 2
Hobgoblin Paragon Class 2
Blue Paragon 1
Dragonblood Paragon 1
Lizardfolk Paragon 1
Vanara Paragon 1

Our gnomish contestant just won't stay down, they swim up to our aasimar favorite to win once again, leaving the win up in the air again. Meanwhile our blue and vanara contestants finally get their starts, moving up along with the scaly twosome, but can they pull it out??? With at least 3-1/2 days left (more time than has elapsed) it's still anybody's game.

Aasimar Base Class has, however, pulled ahead of Gnome in 'actual ideas for what to do with it' which means that if I have to break the tie sorry Gnome-kun.

And sorry digitalfruitz this time I'm only doing one vote, (up to) three votes a piece is an idea for next time if people like this enough for it to be worth a next time.

GnomishPride
2016-08-18, 12:10 AM
Gnomesgnomesgnomesgnomesgnomes.
Gnomesgnomesgnomesgnomesgnomes.
:smalltongue:

Zaydos
2016-08-18, 12:45 PM
New tally:

Gnome Base Class 5
Aasimar Base Class 4
Changeling Base Class 2
Hobgoblin Paragon Class 2
Blue Paragon 1
Dragonblood Paragon 1
Lizardfolk Paragon 1
Vanara Paragon 1

And our gnomish competitor has pulled ahead of the aasimar at last! Gnome is in the lead o.O

Right when I'd finally gotten creation bunnies for aasimar running :smallsigh:

So 2 questions for gnome supporters: 1) Int or Cha based casting. It's spontaneous (Cha), Gnomish Paragon gets Charisma (Cha), and they need 10 Charisma for SLAs (Cha), but gnomes have traditionally been a smart guy race (Int), Int based casting is better for a skill monkey than Cha based (Int), illusionists use Int (Int). 2) I gneed gnaming help. Currently I'm calling the gnome class 'gnomish gnoble' but that's not actually a good gname is it? So yeah got any good gnames. Alliteration is a plus.

Question for the aasimar supporters: Currently calling it either Awakened Aasimar or Aasimar Ascendant, got any preferences or naming suggestions?

For the others I have considered them all some, and who knows there could be a surge for let's say hobgoblin in the next 3 days.

khadgar567
2016-08-18, 01:26 PM
aasimar asendent is my choice come on you angel lovers we need votes

GnomishPride
2016-08-18, 01:39 PM
Casting: Cha based - synergies well with Bard and Beguiler, improves SLAs
Naming: Gnomish... Gnoisemaker? Gnovelty? Gne'er do well? That's a hard one.

Zaydos
2016-08-18, 01:57 PM
Casting: Cha based - synergies well with Bard and Beguiler, improves SLAs
Naming: Gnomish... Gnoisemaker? Gnovelty? Gne'er do well? That's a hard one.

Note: Beguilers are Int based casters not Cha based, so Charisma based actually decreases synergy with them.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-18, 02:10 PM
Note: Beguilers are Int based casters not Cha based, so Charisma based actually decreases synergy with them.
Though they do feint a lot, Bluff is Charisma based.

Also, Gnomish Gnostic, perhaps?

Zaydos
2016-08-18, 02:18 PM
Though they do feint a lot, Bluff is Charisma based.

Even then Skill Points/level trump Charisma mod since they need a good number of skills (Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive cover the bare minimum and take 2/3rd of your skill ranks, if you want to cover Knowledge, Sleight of Hand, scouting, Spellcraft, Traps, actually being able to Gather Information it rises to a lot, +1-4 for Knowledge, +1 for pick pocket, +4 for scouting sans traps, +1 for spellcraft, +3 for traps/locks, +1 for Gather Info)... Consolidating skills helps but even then Int > Cha for even social skill monkey unless Charisma is doing something else for you (Marshal's +Cha to skill, Paladin's +Cha to saves, Snowdance Warsong or whatever it is +Cha to attack/damage, etc). Which might be why dumping Int on a bard really hurts (you have trouble covering your skill bases).

Actually thinking about skills I probably ought to make these have Int based casting just so they have a better chance of covering their skill bases.

Draconium
2016-08-18, 02:20 PM
Zaydos, earlier you were saying something about making the aasimar class having abilities that used both Wis and Cha, but either used one mainly and complemented the other, or else have both get better for having high stats in both. Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar with Int and Cha for the gnome class?

If you do pick one over the other, though, I'd go with Cha. I just feel that would fit the gnome slightly better.

GnomishPride
2016-08-18, 02:28 PM

Oops! Clearly I need to pick up my PHBII more often. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2016-08-18, 03:57 PM
It's a common mistake people make because pretty much every other spontaneous caster in the game (with the notable exception of Duskblade from the same book and possibly some obscure book/prc) is Charisma based or dual stat one of which is Charisma.

That said I think the actual solution is pick one at 1st level, definitely the strongest option but at the same time if 90% of the time Int is better and 50/50 fluffwise then it's not that huge of a boost and mainly makes otherwise worthless options an option, and it theoretically allows for high end optimized builds that otherwise would not be available.

Now people vote for aasimar so I don't actually have to finish this and I've counted my gnomes before they hatched.

GnomishPride
2016-08-18, 04:49 PM
That said I think the actual solution is pick one at 1st level, definitely the strongest option but at the same time if 90% of the time Int is better and 50/50 fluffwise then it's not that huge of a boost and mainly makes otherwise worthless options an option, and it theoretically allows for high end optimized builds that otherwise would not be available.

Possibly two paths: an Int based skill/illusion path and a Cha based casting/SLAs path?

Eno Remnant
2016-08-19, 03:38 AM
Ascendant's a good name for the Aasimar class. Something like Aspirant would be, too. Aasimar aspire to be like the angels from which they are descended.

That being said, more Aasimar voters must show themselves! Save Zaydos the work, and get a cool Aasimar class in exchange! What better offer will you get in this lifetime? Disclaimer: there are probably a lot of better offers.

Zaydos
2016-08-21, 02:21 PM
Voting will be closed in 8 hours. I still have to make high level class features for gnome (got distracted) which may take 1-3 days. Keep an eye on this thread because while I will give the gnome gnoble (or gnome gnight) its own thread I will post here when it is complete.

Opinions Wanted: Should I run a round 2 of this? If I do I am going to wait till I get gnome gnoble/gnight posted and get a few other things cleared away before opening voting, but if people are interested I will re-open this thread to voting for the same purposes... or should I open a new thread altogether and just post a link so people who are subscribed can find it easier?

Edit: Just saw the Gnomic Gnostic suggestion for a name, interesting and definitely going to be considered.

Zaydos
2016-08-23, 02:40 PM
Alright I now officially announce that

Gnomes won the vote resulting in Gnomish Gnight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498137-Gnome-Gnight-(20-Level-Gnome-Base-Class))

I'd have officially announced that 2 days ago but I wanted to finish up a few other things first so I could announce that, due to being voted on:

Aasimar Ascendant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498315-Aasimar-Ascendant-(20-Level-Aasimar-Base-Class)) a 20 level Aasimar class (I may have made it in a burst when I finally got an idea for how to make it and Aasimar was still in the lead)
Lizardfolk Paragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498302-Lizardfolk-Paragon-(3-level-class))
and Hobgoblin Paragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498160-Hobgoblin-Paragon-(3-level-Paragon-Class)) were also made (they just got less effort although I will admit writing the fluff made me break down and want to smash my head into a wall for a bit).

And due to the fact that I had already gotten a mechanical backbone for Dragonblood Paragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498214-Dragonblood-Paragon-(3-Level-Class)) before even opening the voting (it's actually what got me to) and Draconium wanted it Dragonblood Paragon was made.

So questions:

1. Should I do a round 2? If at least 3 people say yes I will make a new thread and do a round 2.

2. I am thinking about the following changes for round 2, specifically: Racial Paragons only (no 20 level classes), 3 winners, and 3 votes a piece. Or the above with n winners where winners are 'things that get at least 5 votes'.

3. Feel free to suggest things to throw on the next round of voting, though if I do open a new thread for it it will have a week long 'submit as an option to vote for' with me having the right to veto.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-23, 03:48 PM
I would love a second round :D

Your suggested changes all sound just fine to me as well, looking forward to it.

thoroughlyS
2016-08-23, 04:17 PM
I would also enjoy a second round, with all the suggestions mentioned. 3 votes and 3 winners sound really fun.

GnomishPride
2016-08-23, 04:56 PM
Go ahead! Those suggestions sound cool.

I believe this makes three votes?

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-23, 05:17 PM
I'd be up for some more voting. I love your work, and I'm always glad to see more of it.

Clockwork333
2016-08-23, 06:11 PM
I'd love to take part in round 2

Also, so many wrong votes for best villain, the title belongs to one man...

David Xanatos

Digitalfruitz
2016-08-23, 08:09 PM
I'd love to see a 2nd round

Zaydos
2016-08-23, 10:05 PM
Round 2 is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498343-Vote!-What-racial-(paragon)-class-would-you-like-to-see-Take-2-(Suggestion-Round)&p=21132960#post21132960) I'd just do the same thread but this way it's clearer to new people that hey voting is open.