PDA

View Full Version : [Feat]Deflect Spells

Anxe
2007-07-05, 09:26 PM
Deflect Spells
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Deflect Arrows, Spell Resistance 15
Benefits: You can deflect spells which require a ranged touch attack in the same manner as other missiles.

Yep. Pretty simple.

brian c
2007-07-05, 10:32 PM
So... why not just specify monk-only? Seriously though, only monks are going to be able to take this (unless you go to more exotic races for the SR). It's a bit overpowered though, since the way Deflect Arrows works in 3.5 is that 1/round are automatically deflected. For arrows, multiple attacks can let you still shoot a monk, but for ranged touch spells you generally only get one per round.

As I said, it's overpowered, but only compared to other feats. In terms of it being for Monks though, they're weak as it is so it's fine. This would help make monks much better mage-killers, though of course there are other issues.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-05, 10:42 PM
In Complete Mage (or was it Arcane) theres, an ability which replaces Evasion which does something similar...

This sounds like something almost exclusively for the Monk, and not necessarily a bad thing really, when you look at it (due to the SR), but I think you might want to try for something else...

Armed Deflection
Prerequsite: BAB 6+, Deflect Arrows, Combat Expertise
Benefits: You may deflect arrows with a weapon, not needing a free hand as long as you have a weapon or shield equipped.
Normal: Deflect Arrows normally requires you to have a free hand to deflect.

and

Deflect Ray
Prerequsites: BAB 11+, Deflect Arrows, Combat Expertise, Armed Deflection
Benefits: You may also deflect rays as well as mundane projectiles with your ability to deflect arrows.
Normal: You may not normally deflect rays

TheLogman
2007-07-05, 10:42 PM
I don't think is this THAT broken, I mean it only protects against Ranged Touch attacks, nothing with area, no battle control, although this would be a nightmare for one o dem snipers. However, it has such a high requirement, even a sniper could overcome it at that level, with some scrolls or wands, or other stuff.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-05, 10:50 PM
I don't think is this THAT broken, I mean it only protects against Ranged Touch attacks, nothing with area, no battle control, although this would be a nightmare for one o dem snipers. However, it has such a high requirement, even a sniper could overcome it at that level, with some scrolls or wands, or other stuff.

Please note that if you are denied Dex bonus to AC (like on an attack you were not aware of, from a sniper) then you cannot deflect that attack. It doesn't hurt snipers at all.

Anxe
2007-07-05, 11:04 PM
Cool! I expected more "HARG! Unbalanced!"

brian c
2007-07-05, 11:23 PM
Cool! I expected more "HARG! Unbalanced!"

Eh. Anything designed for melee characters has to be really bad to get that reaction. Casters are so much stronger, people are willing to give fighter-types some leeway.