PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rewards in Princes of the Apocalypse (spoiler)

Addaran
2016-08-15, 07:05 AM
My players just finished clearing the Sacred Stone Monastery. They've meet Renwick Caradoon and managed to talk to him after breaking into the crypt. Since they were going to visit Summit Hall eventually (and the hostages they freed were going there), they proposed to bring back Samular's body for Renwick. They asked a few questions but when he said they'd probably don't want the let him have the body, they seemed to change their mind and mention needing to go attack the fire cult. (They had a TPK earlier against the tower, but some characters got brought back via story hook). So Renwick mentionned that he could give them stuff to help against the fire cult if they bring his brother's body back.

So, what should i give as a reward? Atm we have 3 characters, all lvl 5. A flying tiefling (the dwarven resistance to poison instead of fire for RP reasons) warlock, half-elf paladin OoTA and a Goliath valor bard. Only real magic item they have is the +1 silent dagger from Larrakh. And scrolls/potions.

While i don't want to give them artifacts, i don't mind giving things stronger then it should be for their level. I'd also prefer if it could actually be something thematic to protect from fire or hurt fire creatures. Any ideas? Could be existing or homebrewed items. =)

RulesJD
2016-08-15, 09:04 AM
As I recall, the adventure already specifies what magic items the guy has to give the party, and it's a pretty baller one...

Addaran
2016-08-15, 11:21 AM
As I recall, the adventure already specifies what magic items the guy has to give the party, and it's a pretty baller one...

Duh, can't believe i missed that part of the text. I only noticed the reward section with the 2 scrolls and 2 potions, not the amulet of health mentionned earlier. He's supposed to give it to a paladin or good-aligned fighter.

But it's just one item and it's pretty generic (usefull in all situations, nothing special for fighting fire cultist). There's also a ring of fire resistance in the crypt. While i don't see Renwick looting someone's grave or allowing someone to do it, the adventure kinda gives the possibility for the players to have one at that point.

So i'd probably prefer to give 3 items, so every player gets a new toy to be excited about. Not too sure what to go for though. =/ The lich will probably have a week, so he can always just craft something appropriate for an assault against fire cultist.

Nupraptor
2016-08-17, 09:23 AM
Hopefully your party has the wand of magic missiles located much earlier. It is actually very usefull, especially in extreme situations where you can blast off a lvl 5 or 6 magic missile spell for 7 or 8 missiles for minimum of 16 and max of 40 damage (and of course can't miss unless target has shield spell). In my view you have 2 options. Level faster or like you asked for, some extra items.

I'm currently running the same w/ my daughter and wife, so its being played a bit loose, but a party of 3 (i'm the 3rd) is at a significant disadvantage than a party of 4. I think for the next area (fire temple) you should be lvl 6. Keep in mind that if your doing milestone leveling, your party will always be a bit behind with only 3 people, but if your actually dividing experience, you party might level faster (ie:they would be 1/5 into level 5 already). That being said, I find PoTA to be a bit lacking in the magic item department. Just compare you current magic items (consumable as well) to the theoretical rolls on the Hoard treasure tables as per DM guide (7 rolls in total if i remember correctly at lvl 4). If your lacking, then roll some treasure! (my favorite part-love the randomness). Or just add a couple of rolls for fun. Just keep in mind that as your party progresses, the lack of magic items will become less apparent as your party is only splitting them 3 ways instead of 4.