PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What does the 'you' mean in personal range spells?

Wombatant
2016-08-15, 09:30 AM
So i ran into the fact that i can turn my familiar into a displacer with the spell displacer form.

Displacer form says:

Range: Personal
Target: You
When you cast this spell, you assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a displacer beast (MM 66). While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to magical beast, and your size changes to Large....

and the description under Familiar says:
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

Therefore, i should be able to cast the spell Displacer Form on my familiar no problem.

My question - What 'personal' range spells don't have a 'you' as the target? I'm not understanding what the point of adding another line in the book with a target when the range is already personal. If it wasn't personal, it would be either touch or otherwise. Is there a 'personal - me' vs a 'personal - you' spell? Why not just say 'You may also cast any spells with the 'personal' range your familiar instead of yourself'?

Thanks for any help!

Telonius
2016-08-15, 10:34 AM
Zone of Silence seems to be the only one in the SRD with a range of personal but no listed target. (It has an Area instead). I think this would probably only matter for purposes of dispelling.