PDA

View Full Version : Named Dice Sets

DeadpanSal
2016-08-15, 04:49 PM
Hey, anyone want to talk about specific dice sets that people at the table get attached to, name, or take on legendary status? I myself used a set of Bone Dice in a fun campaign where I played a Goblin Headslinger (a voodoo practitioner that shrunk the heads of woodland creatures to sling at foes).

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/maj6LhIF200Avde9yeV_Z1g.jpg

I swear those dice were more powerful than they needed to be, and could roll stats that no one should have ever allowed. I called them my voodoo set.

Besides that my friend had a speckled blue on white set that he called his Battousai dice. When he was DMing and would shout "BATTOUSAAAAAAI!" before a roll, he could kill us at will. We loved it so much that when his birthday came around, we had a cake made of the d20.

ComaVision
2016-08-15, 05:03 PM
I've only bought one set of dice. They're red and black, and the entire background behind the numbers is small skulls.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQqFDRpczCkPkGW_HWnaoMAMbzrWP5P Ie7IP_C8GomWp4-IujItg

Anyway, I call them my necromancer dice, and they're the only set I ever use (unless I'm DMing or otherwise need multiple sets).

EDIT: My roommate/first DM has a set of two big D20s that are called the BOOM dice. They're typically used when he needs to get a high roll. They almost always fail him.

Raimun
2016-08-16, 10:38 AM
I call mine "dice". They are an eclectic collection of dice sets and singular dice with simple, clear and functional color schemes, that I once put in a good looking, handmade dice bag that was a real bargain.

What?

Âmesang
2016-08-16, 10:47 AM
I've five d6s that came from a Nightmare Before Christmas Yahtzee set. :smallamused: Oogie Boogie's dice.

EDIT: I don't keep my dice in a bag, though; I use a cylindrical, small-parts container I bought at Home Depot. Makes for a good dice cup, too!

rcarb65
2016-08-16, 01:00 PM
I have a whole mix of dice collected over the years. When I have a couple of bad rolls in a row with a certain die I mark it and put it aside in the area of shame and don't use it again. Can't throw it out for some reason and next game put all the marked "bad" dice to the side and make them watch the good dice. (yeah , I know feel free to make fun of me)

Play with someone who freezes the bad dice then smashes them with a hammer. I guess my group leans toward the nutty side.

Pugwampy
2016-08-16, 01:06 PM
http://rpgdice.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Toxic-Hybrid-Dice.jpg

I once bought a single D20 that looks like those . I call it my lucky tiger dice .

DeadpanSal
2016-08-16, 03:16 PM
Wow, those last ones are beautiful! I would have called those the flamethrower or something.

And dice bags are really important too! I have a friend that keeps his dice in a Bertie Bots bag. My own bag is just a rough leather cinch sack that looks like it would hold gold coins well. Having a hard case is probably interesting and I would check those out if I had more games.

Pugwampy
2016-08-16, 08:05 PM
And dice bags are really important too!

I have 16 sets of dice and played for 8 years but never once used a dice bag.

DeadpanSal
2016-08-16, 08:07 PM
...what do you do, keep them in your pocket?

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-17, 02:14 AM
I call mine "dice". They are an eclectic collection of dice sets and singular dice with simple, clear and functional color schemes, that I once put in a good looking, handmade dice bag that was a real bargain.

Same here, although mine is knitted and free because it was a present from my mum (I've got a larger one I plan to turn into a wool bag when I have the time to knit and crochet). Then again I stick to either solid colour or occasionally speckled dice for ease of reading.

Some do roll weirdly though. I have a bunch of d6s that refuse to roll high, a d20 that once rolled nothing but 7 and 13 for an entire game, and a d8 that keeps going missing. My d12 does get little use, which is why I only have one, but not much less than my d4s.

weckar
2016-08-17, 02:47 AM
I have too many dice.
No, really, I have well over 700.

My favorites are 3 sets in particular though. My 'poison' dice (green with a purple core), my 'fire' dice (yellow/red swirl) and my 'barbed' dice (forged from iron wires). Too bad the last of those are kind of hard to read...

For these sets I have small boxes, but most of my others are in one of those old huge candy jars.

Pugwampy
2016-08-17, 04:55 AM
...what do you do, keep them in your pocket?

Bank bags , plastic food containers . My first set once lived in a pill bottle .

The Bandicoot
2016-08-17, 07:19 AM
Funnily enough I've got two black d20s with white numbers that are almost indistinguishable. One is my d20 of Orc Bane that has proven to HATE orca. The first battle I used it in against a group of orcs it rolled 6 criticals.... In a row. It's also killed more than one half-orc PC.

The other die is just called "14" for obvious reasons.

Regitnui
2016-08-17, 07:30 AM
I'm not the sort, but I have a non-sequential d20 I call my "lightning die". Its translucent gold with glitter within, and since I'm DMing, it's been forbidden from use. Otherwise, I use it when playing Storm Sorcerers and Tempest Clerics.

Belac93
2016-08-17, 01:57 PM
We haven't named them, but we have about 4 d20s that always roll whatever would be funniest (usually either 1s or 20s), a d4 that can't roll 4s, a d8 that always gets an 8 (the dual rapier character uses that one), and a d20 that always rolls 14 or 17.

Actually, most of our dice are weird like that.

And then I have my 'weird stat dice.' A set of 4d6 that when used for rolling stats, always ends up with something terrible (10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 6), or something amazing (18, 18, 18, 17, 17, 17).

weckar
2016-08-17, 05:58 PM
All you people with (un)lucky dice: get your heads out of the rock tumbler :smallbiggrin:

The Bandicoot
2016-08-17, 10:52 PM
All you people with (un)lucky dice: get your heads out of the rock tumbler :smallbiggrin:

People who play games of chance are usually some of the most superstitious people you'll ever meet.

DeadpanSal
2016-08-17, 11:11 PM
*rolls a 19*

Awww, man. If only I had used my Ziggy Stardust set!

Kane0
2016-08-18, 02:01 AM
I have one red set and one blue set.

The red set roll well in combat and other times of action, impulse and adrenaline.
The blue set rolls well for times of thinking, planning, patience and especially CharGen.
I've learned never to mix them up, and have even brought them companion sets with more muted hues for times i need to roll multiple dice, as well as a container that keeps the reds and blues comfortably seperated.

For when i have to roll a handful of d6s i use my IronDie collection.

raygun goth
2016-08-18, 02:15 AM
I have a set of these.

http://static2.redcart.pl/templates/images/thumb/9868/432/600/en/0/templates/images/products/9868/9cb9454f8dad4f9104cb4316f68664ac.jpg

I call them the "Spanish Train (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnaUvPoiTfQ)."

My players fear them.

Black Socks
2016-08-18, 06:48 AM
I still have the dice I got in my Starter Set- the first dice I ever owned. They're dark blue with white numbers. I call them the "Ol' Reliables". They can (usually) be depended on.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/23062-thickbox_default/dungeons-and-dragons-starter-set.jpg

The Bandicoot
2016-08-18, 10:54 PM
I've also got my late mother's set of dice in a little leather pouch. I rarely use them but I always have them out for the duration of my games.

Keltest
2016-08-19, 03:16 PM
Ive got a set of 5 big wooden D6s that we use exclusively for rolling up characters. Theyre kept in a bigger wooden D6. Appropriately, we call them the character rolling dice.

However, if were starting a new campaign, I will instead break out my lightning bolt dice, a set of 16 blue and gold patterned D6s which are normally used for spells that require many D6s to roll damage for.

Jay R
2016-08-19, 05:27 PM
"My d1"
http://images2.sw-cdn.net/product/picture/625x465_3964978_161789_1459304628.jpg

down to
"My d120"
http://thedicelab.com/d120five0316.jpg

DeadpanSal
2016-08-19, 05:52 PM
Oh come on, you don't have an infinity sided die?

Jay R
2016-08-19, 07:42 PM
Oh come on, you don't have an infinity sided die?

If each face has finite size, then the die has an infinite diameter. I almost ordered one once, but remembered that I don't have anywhere to store it.