PDA

View Full Version : Magic Stone with a Sling: Ranged Spell Attack from a Weapon?

RickAllison
2016-08-15, 08:16 PM
So I had a question for the sub-forum. Magic Stone is a spell from the EEPC with this text:

You touch one to three pebbles and imbue them with
magic. You or someone else can make a ranged spell
attack with one of the pebbles by throwing it or hurling
it with a sling.

The bolded segments are what interest me, as it seems to mark Magic Stone as a unique effect: it is a spell attack made with a weapon. How does this affect the use of the spell and are there any unique possibilities as a result of it?

With a cursory glance, I did notice a few of the odd interactions this causes: it can be used with the Archery Fighting Style; it can be used for the -5/+10 ability of Sharpshooter but not the first two benefits as those hinge on ranged weapon attacks; Spell Sniper's ignoring of cover definitely applies, but it seems the range doubling does not function; underwater combat does not inflict disadvantage on the stones, although you do need verbal components to cast in the first place; it can be used with Sneak Attack.

Are there any other interesting effects that this unique combination has, or is it just a pointless quirk of the spell?

Naanomi
2016-08-15, 08:25 PM
It works with sneak attack, making a charisma or wisdom based rogue possible.

It works with Giant Killer, but not colossus slayer or horde breaker. Also works with Volley, but can't be an extra attack if your Beastmaster pet is attacking (boo!)

Foxhound438
2016-08-15, 10:38 PM
it is, by far, the weirdest cantrip to date. The language is incomplete and, as you point out, allows for some seemingly paradoxical combo's.

The first thing that stood out to me is that it doesn't specify that it requires your full action to throw one; meaning it's used as ammunition like normal, with the attack action. Some have disputed that interpretation, but the weird way it's put together leaves some logical gaps to fill in.

JeffreyGator
2016-08-29, 12:32 PM
It also doesn't seem to scale which seems sad to me with the only d6 damage.

Has there been any errata that lets this scale? Or does it's other weird effects, weapon attack with casting stat, multi-attack, give away to someone else prevent that?

Drackolus
2016-08-29, 12:42 PM
The fact that it doesn't scale made me think it was like Shillelagh. One of my players in a gestalt Strahd is a warlock/rogue who is using magic stone to sneak attack. It's pretty rad.

PeteNutButter
2016-08-29, 01:39 PM
I would dispute your assumptions. You are doing a ranged spell attack with a ranged weapon. I think it qualifies for both. RAI, I believe its supposed to just be a ranged shillelagh. RAW it is a bit vague, but I don't believe there are any rules in the game that say an attack cannot be both a ranged spell attack and a ranged weapon attack. And since it specifically tells you, you can use a sling its both.

The fact that you make 3 stones per casting, and it doesn't scale, seems like it was designed for just that.