PDA

View Full Version : Amazing character death?

Falcii
2016-08-16, 03:18 AM
I recently had my first really exciting character death and I wanted to hear what other people have done to go out with a bang.

For example,
My psion (his name was Perun) went crystal master and implanted an abyssal portal stone as a gem. This (along with other things) drove him crazy, so he decided to act on his racist tendencies and murder anybody using psionics who was of an unclean race. This lead to a session of PC PVP in which Perun took on 4 party members and an entropomancer of twice his level and actually nearly killed all the PCs. He even unleashed a sonic burst powered by an extra planar artifact known as "the bass" which when dropped, shattered the island they were fighting on.

When Perun finally died, his corpse got sucked into the abyssal gem, and accidentally bequeathed the sands of time (along with several other artifacts) to essentially the queen of the abyssals.

Talk about satisfying death!

Selween
2016-08-16, 11:37 AM
Well, i experienced three time my character's death. (Actually, a lot more, but those three were really interesting ones, unlike the others.)
(Sorry if my english isn't perfect, i'm french and i'm still learning)

The first time, in my opinion, was the best one. (I mean, the most memorable).

My character was named Vera Kalenne,
She used to execrate users of arcane magic : her grand father, Eleador Kalenne Lost his son because of a wizard while she was only 3 Y.o.
He teached her how to kill them, how to recognize them among regular peoples and how to stop them before they can even act.

For years, she killed sorcerers, wizards, etc.. A lot of them did never hurt anyone but she was convinced her acts were rights.

But one day, she realized how wrong all of this was, and flew away.
After that, she joined a party who aimed to kill Eleador, the mage killer and she executed him.

But day after day, this anger against arcane caster was so deeply anchored in her because of her grand father that she could never totally erase it.
And, after many years of adventuring (and a looot of levels), her sanity was only decreasing, coming back to who she was. More and more cruel, less and less aware of her own blindness.
She started to blame casters with less and less proofs, was always looking for something to make them guilty of any trouble the party could encounter.

And one day, she desapeared : the party finally found her after 3 days of researchs. She has killed a whole village because she suspected the presence of a sorcerer in it.
After that, the other ones had no choice : they teamed up, and they fought their old comrade ultil death.

Almost everyone in this table had their own story developped like this, but mine in the only one who actually suffered from it, and even died !
That was really intense when the GM told me to come by his side and play my character against the other ones, but it's nowaday one of my best memory in roleplaying. :smallamused:

If you are interested, i can relate the two others, if my english isn't too bad.

Eldariel
2016-08-16, 12:04 PM
My favorite isn't actually from D&D but from FATE. My character was a scientist whose mind had been moved into the body of a mouse. Terrorists had taken the research facility over and our ragtag band of monkeys and rats tried to get the message outside and call for help. When the terrorists entered the room where the fax machine we were using was, I attacked the first of the terrorists, climbing up his body and trying to gnaw into his carotid artery. Unfortunately we weren't quite able to fudge the roll quite enough which lead to me biting him but him shaking me off too quickly. His astonishment and reflexive jumping backwards smashing into the other terrorists did buy the rest of our rats and monkeys enough time to finish sending the message and escape (through the air con and the window; one rat hid in the room), but unfortunately for me, the terrorist managed to grab me and blew my head straight off (turns out rats aren't really a match for humans; who knew?).

In the end, help arrived (one of the security officers-in-monkey-bodies was military and used his personal codes in the fax) and the terrorists got summarily cleaned up and the mindswap got undone (turns out that had been precisely the research done in this facility) but unfortunately my body was forever inhabited by the rat I had been swapped with.

Gruftzwerg
2016-08-16, 03:42 PM
It was one of those games...

We got a newbie in the mid of our mid-lvl campain and he didn't had much clue about D&D at that moment. The Group decided to help him build a decent char depending on his preferences at the lvl of the rest of the party.
"He wanted something to rage out.." and as he said those words, I immediately got a real bad feeling. And before I could yell out my worries it happend..
Someone suggested "Frenzied Berserker".. You know, that one class which is designed for friendly fire PC kills. I tried to convince the rest of the party that this is an incredibly terrible idea especially in the hands of a newbie.. But no one heard my warnings..

Than the first battle of that night, the barb frenzies, the enemies die, barb fails his Will-save...

And guess what who got the short stick in the end..

<<< -_-

PS: Revenge will be mine, I will make em all pay for that :smallfurious:

FearlessGnome
2016-08-16, 04:45 PM
I had a player a few years ago who kept having the worst luck. I was the DM, and I assure you, I was not unfairly targeting him. Yet he kept dying. Through bad rolls, and sensible decisions based on limited information he ended up critted to death, con drained to death and grapple drowned. So. He decided he was going to build a defensive character. He went with a Cleric who had the domain spells to make sure he could always go invisible or dimension door out of there if things got too heated, and his con was as high as his Wisdom. He did really well, too. He was paranoid enough that he was never at too much risk. Made it all the way through the murderous landscape of a layer of the Abyss, through the sinister illusion filled ruins of evil and into the treasure vault. Where he found a Bag of Holding. Which he jumped inside to "check it for loot".

But actually, it was a Bag of Devouring.

Selween
2016-08-16, 07:29 PM
But actually, it was a Bag of Devouring.

Ok i have to admit this one just killed me :elan:

weckar
2016-08-17, 02:35 AM
Not necessarily death, but he may as well be...

This game took place in Ptolus. I played Gibble; a halfling mage raised by goblins.
We were running the first adventure set right out of the book (So, spoilers ahead?).
The main questgiver for the latter half of the adventure line were the lords of castle Shard. In the book they are described as a generally good force in the world. Unfortunately, they are generally quite secretive about their motives and the DM had to play them as such.
My character got... a little fed up with the secrecy and partial instructions. So there was already tension there.

During a particular underwater adventure we also found a young girl who had magically been turned into a daywalker vampire. Nasty stuff. Especially since she wasn't aware. So, we took her home but her father (basically a mob boss, by the way) completely rejected her and only wanted a piece of jewelry she had on her. Gibble, who had some issues with family and loyalty, went ape**** and stabbed out his eyes. Brutally. He then introduced the girl to his goblin dad, and she got adopted. Still, strike one on the crazy meter.

One thing that got retrieved from that mob boss was a golden statue, who turned out to be a petrified acquaintance of the castle Shard people. The only reason they got their hands on it from us, though, was through a dirty trick (strike two). So we had to go out and find an artifact in a specific place to restore him. They however, as always, refused to tell us what that artifact WAS...

So, we went in there - and we were in over our heads. Two people died in the first three rooms. To make their deaths not in vain I Alter-Selfed into some reptilian creature with insane land speed and dashed through a couple of rooms looking for anything artifact-like. Near the back of the complex I saw an empty room save for an idol sitting on a pedestal. I yoinked it and ran back to the entrance, miraculously surviving. We got one of our companions rezzed, but not the other.

So we delivered the artifact. They would not hear of our laments of our dead companion. We handed over the idol, and they immediately dropepd and shattered it - saying it was evil and had to be destroyed. And, by the way, not the right artifact so not only we wouldn't be rewarded but we had to go back in there.

Suffice to say - strike three. Gibble at this point refused to leave the castle. The castle, being sentient, played the game along and locked him in a room. Eventually he got permanently banished, but spent the rest of the year basically protesting outside the gates with a sign reading "Down with the Shard". He'd gone absolutely insane, and got comitted to asylum a couple of months later.

From which he escaped as a villain later, but that's another story. He's back in now.

As I said, not a death. But an effective character death through utter insanity.

BWR
2016-08-17, 04:01 AM
My characters tend to die in unimpressive ways. One-shotted by skeletons, ragdolled by giant jumping steam-powered dragonmechs, gored by boars, assassinated by random encounter assassins, etc.
The closest to a cool death was when we failed to stop Tiamat from manifesting in Red Hand of Doom.

Falcii
2016-08-17, 05:11 PM
Nice, another death that I thought was really fantastic in one of my campaigns was our party's rage mage, decided to go to a local mithril mine with no other PCs. He managed to critically fail a survival check to stay on the trail or not encounter animals or some bull****. Needless to say he encountered some really big stuff. A giant dragon who was crazy, crazy evil, and could control time. One breath attack later, poor Friik was nothing more than a stain on the ground. Later when we fought said time dragon, Friik managed to steal the wheel to the Davey Jones style ship of the damned and crash it onto the living plane to get the killing blow. This also made it so literally all of us (excluding the bard) soloed a dragon (I just convinced mine to kill itself) in one dungeon, even from beyond the veil.

Crake
2016-08-17, 09:46 PM
In the campaign's I've played, I've either not died once in the campaign, or I've been targetted by the DM and died countless times (like, seriously countless times, we're talking 50+ deaths over the course of a single module) not one of which were epic or even mildly cool in any way.

haplot
2016-08-28, 11:38 AM
My faviyrate char death was actually in D20 modern, kind of a fallour scenario.

I was driving the party's vehicle when a group of nasties spotted us and turned their guns and turrets towards us.

dm calls for initiative. THe plan was for me to reverse the car out of harms way. but in the way of things happening, everyone else rolls mid to high initative. i roll a 1 :S

things went from bad to worse as the nasties decide to spray the car with bullets killing me in the process...

as the car was in motion at the time of death, dm called for a drive roll off me to see what me prone body did to the stearing.... another 1 rolled, yey is me :D

the result was that the party member who was sitting in the front with me tried to grab the wheel to stop the car going into the nasties base of operations. the result was, having real crap dice rolls, the car flipped upside and landed upside down in the middle of the base, killing all other occupants bar one, who was now facing an entire camp by himself of canibals.... needless to say a campaigh killer.

Yey for the power of rolling lots 1s in a humouros manner.