PDA

View Full Version : Zero Level Spell Like Abilities

Damionte
2007-07-06, 12:57 AM
In my upconing campagin I am giving the PC's a bit of a gift based on many of my players feelings on the nature of magic.

All arcane casters (including warlocks) will be able to cast prestidigitation at will as a spell like ability.

What would be a good general use devine spell that I could allow Devine casters to cast.

I am also looking for a good zero level arcnae or devine spell to give to psionic characters. Is mage hand zero level or 1st level now?

For the devine casters I am thinking I may need a different spell for some of the different alignments. Currently I am leaning towards the spell guidance, for them all. Unless someone thinks they have a better idea.

Anyone have any suggestions and rationale behind the suggestions?

-Cor-
2007-07-06, 01:02 AM
For a divine staple I'd have to go with Cure Minor

It's the "Oh crap gotta stabilize that guy!" button. It's also very handy in a not quite dead yet situation. i.e. - You have 0 hit points, slap yourself with Cure Minor, now you can at least "hustle" and hope to get away.

5-pound mage hand sounds good for a psionicist.

Yechezkiel
2007-07-06, 01:03 AM
My first thought was Guidance too.

Create Water (Water/sea god), Light (Pelor/good) or even Read Magic (Boccob/magic) might fit depending on their diety/domains. These spells can only help further your campaign, as they just help adventures go.

Yechezkiel
2007-07-06, 01:04 AM
For a divine staple I'd have to go with Cure Minor

It's the "Oh crap gotta stabilize that guy!" button.

Cure Minor would mean full heals outside of every combat : /

-Cor-
2007-07-06, 01:05 AM
Cure Minor would mean full heals outside of every combat : /

That's true, but here I was thinking without saying and assuming his spell like abilities would be per day.

I could abuse the hell out of unlimited presdigitation too.

Damionte
2007-07-06, 01:33 AM
Yeah they'll be like mini warlockes.

They won't be any daily limit to thier use of it. Which is why I also didn't go with the cure spell.

I was looking for soemthing that wouldn't have a huge impact on combat. I don't mind the minor buff of guidance. Hell I have the spell now and I never use it.

Guidance can also be used by all alingments equaly with out changign the feel of the spell. So looks liek that's what I'll probabyl go with.

Yechezkiel
2007-07-06, 01:57 AM
Yeah they're be like min i warlockes.

They won't be any daily limit to thier use of it. Which is why I also didn't go with the cure spell.

I was looking for soemthing that wouldn't have a huge impact on combat. I don't mind the minor buff of guidance. Hell I have the spell now and I never use it.

Guidance can also be used by all alingments equaly with out changign the feel of the spell. So looks liek that's what I'll probabyl go with.

Just be ready for them to cast Guidance on every single thing out of combat:smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-06, 02:01 AM
My suggestion:

Read Magic and Detect Magic won't break the game as SLA's. Prestidigitation shouldn't, although it would be more powerful. Cure Minor is flat out game breaking.

For Sorcerers and Warlocks: Detect and Read Magic

For Wizards: Prestidigitation

For Clerics: Light (maybe Purify Food/Drink too or instead)

For Druids: Know Direction

The_Snark
2007-07-06, 02:11 AM
Instead of Cure Minor Wounds, you could use Virtue. It has the same in-combat effect, but won't allow for out-of-combat healing.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-06, 03:59 AM
Hm, I find read magic somewhat strange for a class that uses spontaneous bloodline-based magic...

I'd go with the following:

Wizard: mage hand, detect magic
Sorcerer: light, flare
Warlock: ray of frost
Beguiler: message
Cleric: guidance, purify food
Druid: resistance, detect poison

(note that druids can automatically discern north with the survival skill)

Damionte
2007-07-06, 04:53 AM
Most of those spells are too strong to give away for free. Anything as useful as detect magic can't be used. Detect Magic at will is a class skill for some classes. Can't overshadow it.

I'm pretty sure guidance is the way to go. It is generally useful in many situations, though not so useful that it's a must have or will break anythign at all.

I will be giving Mage hand to the Psionic classes. That way they can all sit around bending spoons.