PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Rakshasa Community Project

Eldan
2016-08-16, 08:38 AM
A thread for material relating to Rakshasa.

Background:
Origin of the Rakshasa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21140398&postcount=75)
How Ravanna turned to evil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21141562&postcount=76)

Monsters:
Raja of the Mirage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21181784&postcount=101)
Feral Rakshasa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21119346&postcount=39)

Spells:
Faithful Retinue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21163515&postcount=89)

Feats:
Rakshasa Heritage Feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21174008&postcount=92)

Original post
So. I was thinking about books like the Draconomicon, Fiendish Codex or Lords of Madness - Books that take a monster or small group of monsters like the Illithidae and give them more materials. Variants of the monster, greater and lesser forms, monster specific feats, powers, gods, paragon classes, perhaps prestige classes for followers of the monster, etc.

And I thought, we should do something like that. Take a vaguely interesting monster that doesn't have much material written on it and expand it in such a way. I'll be going through the monster manual myself and put up a few suggestions, but I'd also like people to make some. Then we'll take, say, the most interesting sounding ten or so and put them to a vote.

A few requirements:
-Preferably intelligent. While we could take something like, say, a Frost Worm or a Phantom Fungus and give it a greater form that is intelligent, or just give it more abilities, that isn't quite what I want to do here.
-Something in the mid levels. Epic and high level monsters don't show up often enough and low level ones tend to be generic more often than not.
-At least one relatively unique ability. Doesn't have to be entirely unique, but something special we can build from. Not, say, an ogre.
-Shouldn't have too much premade fluff. We're looking for something that lacks definition, here.

Alright? Sounds good?

khadgar567
2016-08-16, 09:41 AM
Let's start with the monster that represents one of the primordial sins succubus. I think we can make her worth her cr 7 what you guys thing to improve her

ShiningStarling
2016-08-16, 11:25 AM
I flipped through the old manual and found a couple categories that I thought would be cool to give a good treatment to.

Coatls and Lillends
- Similar beings, feels like there could be a category with them. Not my first choice.

Nature Spirits
- Dryads are pretty much all we get, but Naiads, Neriads, other kinds might be cool.

Formians
- Intelligent hive minds could be a unique thing to work on.

Gith
- The denizens of the Astral Plane are just cool, not sure if they need attention, but maybe.

Witchcrafty
- Hags particularly, but also Will-o-the-Wisps, could be neat.

Rakshasa
- Just made of awesome, and with some of the other kinds introduced in other Monster Manuals, could make for an interesting flavor book.

Also, while they don't fits the "Intelligent" category in general, I've always thought Golems really needed some help.

Of all these, I think the one I would like the most is Golems, but then again, it doesn't fit what you asked for.

Honestly, these categories all give me little ideas for different reasons. The one I get the most ideas for is the Formians, thinking of all the other kinds of hive-mind bug-people there could be, after that the Witchcraft and Nature Spirits (really Fey in general) I feel need the most love and I could actually have ideas for them.

Eldan
2016-08-16, 03:34 PM
I don't think Succubi would be ideal for this. They are very popular and while they don't have a book on their own, fiends have tons of books as a group.

Fey are lacking in D&D, yes, but I think other homebrewers did a lot.

LIllendi where always one of my favourites, ever since the Planescape days.

So, let's see.
Lillendi
Rakshasa
Couatl
Formians
Hags

That's five. Any more suggestions?

Zaydos
2016-08-16, 06:17 PM
Slaad? I mean they could use more fleshing out.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-16, 06:32 PM
Slaad? I mean they could use more fleshing out.

Eladrin and guardianals also lack much substance (inevitables inevitably get a lot of homebrew). Maybe second string planar beings' greatest hits?

Amechra
2016-08-16, 10:07 PM
Hagbook sounds interesting to me. That'd give 11 monsters to work with:

You have the annis, green, sea, and night hags in the MM - supplements add dune hags (Sand), marzanna (Frost), and dusk hags (ECS). Unapproachable East and Oriental Adventures adds bog hags, bheur hags, shrieking hags, and hagspawn.

I... actually wasn't aware that there were that many kinds of hags before I made this post. Huh.

Durzan
2016-08-16, 10:37 PM
what about Raggomoffyns? I love those intellelligent wacky constructs to death!

AtlasSniperman
2016-08-17, 12:15 AM
Ken-ku.
Ken-ku.
Ken-ku.
Ken-ku.
Ken-ku.

*stops chanting*Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.
Umm, sorry. Don't know what came over me.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.
Anyway, I like a lot of these ideas, And present Kenku as mine. Thanks for the moment read.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.Ken-ku.

Or hobgoblins of course. A sourcebook of hobgoblin military tactics, prestige classes, sample tribes etc.

St.Just
2016-08-17, 12:55 AM
I'd second Rakshasa's and Formains, if that matters.

Some of the more interesting/unusual elementals maybe? Arrowhawks or Salamanders or Ravids?

EDIT: Idea just occurred-Barghests fit all the criteria quite neatly, don't they?

Eldan
2016-08-17, 05:02 AM
The night hag, while interesting, isn't actually related to the other hags as far as I know. They are hadean outsiders, not witchy monstrous humanoids, though they share a taste for dark magics.

Eladrin, guardinals and slaad could be interesting, but I'm a bit worried that they all have rather a lot of older fluff, books and books of it in Planescape. Might not leave enough design space open. And Slaad have the best NPC ever written in D&D, Xanxost.

And I didn't even know Kenku were in 3.5, I only knew their stats from Pathfinder. Got a source?

Hobgoblins I'm going to disqualify under the "no special abilities" clause. Their fluff might interest people, but their rules are incredibly bland.

Then we have:

Lillendi
Rakshasa
Couatl
Formians
Hags
Eladrin
Guardinals
Slaad
Raggomoffyns
Salamanders
Barghests
Ravid

Twelve is, I think, a good number. Let's start the vote. Let's say you can vote for three.

I'll vote Rakshasa, Barghest, Lillendi.

Zale
2016-08-17, 06:43 AM
Couatl, Rakshasa, or Hags!

khadgar567
2016-08-17, 07:14 AM
Rakshasa only if we go akashic on the kitten bastards

Eldan
2016-08-17, 08:29 AM
Define Akashic. I honestly fail to see a connection between the akashic records and Rakshasa. I mean, it's a sanskrit word, but I think the concept is pretty new. Also, it would clearly be an astral plane thing in D&D and Rakshasa are from Acheron.

khadgar567
2016-08-17, 09:14 AM
Define Akashic. I honestly fail to see a connection between the akashic records and Rakshasa. I mean, it's a sanskrit word, but I think the concept is pretty new. Also, it would clearly be an astral plane thing in D&D and Rakshasa are from Acheron.
pathfinders incarnium export aka dreamscared press akashic mysteries

CinuzIta
2016-08-17, 09:57 AM
I'll say hags, salamanders or rakshasas

Eldan
2016-08-17, 10:20 AM
pathfinders incarnium export aka dreamscared press akashic mysteries

Ah. Realy not familiar with anything pathfinder beyond the basics. Don't they already have quite a lot on Rakshasa?

ShiningStarling
2016-08-17, 11:29 AM
I'll go Lillendi, Rakshasa, and Hags!

Also, Kenkus may be found on page 86 of MMIII.

nikkoli
2016-08-17, 01:21 PM
Coatl, Barghests, and Rakshasa sound like the most open to fun.

nonsi
2016-08-17, 03:30 PM
My vote goes for Barghests and Guardinals.

Zaydos
2016-08-17, 03:42 PM
The reason I suggested slaad was because of the major planar races in Planescape they had the least development and cover that I knew of.

That said gonna have to say rakshasha as my #1, with raggomuffyns and slaad following up.

Hashmalum
2016-08-17, 04:04 PM
Hags. Ok, I know that there's Van Richten's Guide to the Witch, but it's 1) Ravenloft-specific and 2) 2nd Edition. Also, rakshasa and eladrins.

Eldan
2016-08-17, 04:22 PM
Lillendi 2
Rakshasa 8
Couatl 2
Formians
Hags 4
Eladrin 1
Guardinals 1
Slaad 1
Raggomoffyns 1
Salamanders 1
Barghests 3
Ravid

We have Rakshasa by a landslide. Are we going with that?
Going by Wiki, sources we should look at are:
AD&D Monstrous Compendium Volume One (Rakshasa, Rakhasa Raja, Rakshasa Maharaja, Rakshasa Rukh)
3.5 Monster Manual
Eberron Campaign Setting (Zakya Rakshasa)
Monster Manual 3 (Ak'chazar rakshasa and the Naztharune rakshasa)
Tome of Battle (Naityan Rakshasa)

and especially

Dragon 326, Ecology of the Rakshasa

Also, actual Indian myth.

So, among types detailed in 3.5, we have the standard sorcerer, a necromancer, an assassin, two fighters and what I guess is a kind of Paladin of Tyranny of their god.

I'll try and hunt down what I can of the fluff of older editions and dragon magazines, but let's brainstorm here abit, too.

Ideas
The Rakshasa Knight, an elite warrior of Ravanna, their god, sounds interesting. I'll see if I can port that.

Apart from that, I see a necromancer, but not much in the way of actual improved shapeshifting, which, in the myths, is their specialty. I'm thnking something like a master of many forms type Rakshasa, a shapeshifting master.

They can naturally detect thoughts. How about a psionic Rakshasa that steals people's secrets and sells them as an information broker?

They are solitary. Maybe something relating to slavery?

In myth, they are often cannibals or blood drinkers, as well as illusionists. Both things are missing from their D&D incarnation, can we bring that back?

St.Just
2016-08-17, 04:31 PM
Ah, damn, missed the vote. Well, was going to go for Rakshasa anyway.

Given how boring it is that the most powerful version of the evil sorcerer species is a necromancer, I'm wholly in favor of a master illusionist and shapeshifter Rakshasa noble.

I've always the fact that they're native outsiders really interesting, did they ever get a writeup explaining how exactly they work, cosmologically? Like, breed true, born from damned souls who manage to escape their rightful fate, what?

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-17, 05:54 PM
Ah, just barely too late! Vote wouldn't have changed the outcome (or even the relative count), but still.

I don't remember this very well (taking this with enough grains of salt would end up emptying the shaker) but I recall Rakshasa are pretty much in the same boat as Genies and Sidhe: really brutal nobility metaphors. Even setting that aside, I feel giving them a charismatic super-slaver Raksha Noble and/or an exotic Rakshasa shapeshifter/illusionist combo would be pretty sweet.

I know that in 4e the Rakshasa were reincarnations (for whatever that's worth); their polar opposites were a PC race called the Deva, which were then ported to Pathfinder as the Samsarans. The Primal Power sourcebook spent a chunk of time going over their stuff, though I can't recall much off the top of my head. From a quick check, Dragon 374 and 385 had some stuff on Deva (and by extension, the Rakshasa) that could be pulled from, if such a connection is considered valid.

St.Just
2016-08-17, 06:51 PM
"Decadent Nobility" is a pretty oveririding theme for them, yeah. Which actually raises the question-Are there Rakshasa serfs? Do they have dedicated slave races the way (say) Aboleths and Efreet do? If not, should they?

Zaydos
2016-08-17, 06:56 PM
I know the 3.0 Manual of the Planes made rakshashas be on Acheron and I ran with that when I ran 3.5 Planescape (only thing from the 3.0 MotP that I didn't ignore*) the rakshasha recurring villain (the big bad's dragon but the big bad never showed up) was actually one who was ousted from his territory by another rakshasha so I guess what I'm saying is I like rakshasha as decadent nobles.

For the cannibalism aspect I'd make a note of it as a cultural thing, but not make it a game mechanic. They enjoy the taste of human flesh but they aren't powered by it or anything.

Personally I'd definitely say make a high level illusionist rakshasha monster and as a question any stats for Ravanna as a D&D god or references in D&D for their religion? If the answer to both are no I'd suggest someone figure out Ravanna as a D&D god and that a cleric PrC (similar to Radiant Servant of Pelor) be designed not for rakshasha properly but for their human allies/servitors.

Eldan
2016-08-17, 07:29 PM
I only quickly checked Wiki earlier for references and they mention Ravana as their god. HE is apparently a ten-headed Rakshasa demigod who is invulnerable to any creature that isn't a mortal from the prime. No source on where he's from, though. Probably an older source. I'll see what I can find. Probably can't get the AD&D sources, but the Dragon magazines should be possible.

THe part about being fallen Deva is, like Ravanna, pretty much directly lifted from Indian mythology, by the way.

Since they are nobles and solitary, they pretty much need slaves. THe question is whethery they have special followers or just trade in general slaves. Hailing from Acheron, the natural candidates for their slaves would be Goblinoids. I could see them lording it over tribes of fearful goblins.

AmberVael
2016-08-17, 07:36 PM
Also, actual Indian myth.

I'll be honest, rakshasa as depicted in D&D have very little resemblance to rakshasa as I've read about them in the epics. I'm not sure where the tiger thing came from. Or the detecting thoughts.

As you noted, shapeshifting is fairly central to mythological rakshasha, and the fact that they can only become human is unfortunate. A wider range for shapeshifting would definitely be on theme. New types of rakshasa with better shapeshifting might also be a decent idea.

Illusions are also a prominent theme that seem entirely absent from the 3.5 rakshasa. It would be much more accurate to give them beguiler casting than sorcerer casting.

Its also worth noting that the whole "always lawful evil" thing is entirely bunk. Not only would I say the common rakshasa has as much chance to be chaotic as lawful (as they are sometimes depicted as bloodthirsty, rampaging monsters), but there have been quite a few notable instances of them not being evil, even the ones that were antagonists in their stories (not to mention the ones that aided the protagonists and were entirely heroic).

Oh also Ravana isn't a god.

Eldan
2016-08-17, 07:42 PM
I know they are even further than usual (For DnD( away from their myths, but we have to strike a balance here. People expect certain things from Rakshasa in D&D.

That said, how about a Fallen Rakshasa, Rakshasa Exile, Cursed Rakshasa or however else one might name it? Perhaps, similar to vampires, they appear as decadent nobles, but there's always a chance of them becoming bestial?

Wouldn't be too hard ot build a Rakshasa variant that has lost most of it's magic in exchange for being much stronger, able to change into bestial shapes and battle rage? A chaotic evil variant resulting from a transformation that can happen to all Rakshasa.

St.Just
2016-08-17, 07:48 PM
There are already a few martial types that give up most/all of their casting in exchange for better combat abilities and (in one case) the martial initiator equivalent of SLAs, aren't there? So there's certainly precedent.

Zaydos
2016-08-17, 08:40 PM
Naityan Rakshasha (ToB) already have Martial Initiating instead of spellcasting and when they change martial stance turn into a different animal-human hybrid (snake, hell hound, eel, and displacer beast).

That said I do like the idea for one that becomes more bestial, losing casting for additional shapeshifting. Allowing them to assume any Small to Large Animal with 6 or less HD might work. Mechanically it's quick and simple, might affect CR a little (it ultimately is a power buff compared to default spells known) but it's the sort you could do in a single paragraph or two which focuses primarily on the social/narrative effects.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-17, 08:40 PM
the natural candidates for their slaves would be Goblinoids.

I must again draw upon the salt shaker; I know of only two races in D&D that have two left hands. One is the Rakshasa. The other is the hobgoblin. Perhaps there is some connection there, similar to the Barghests and goblins? I can see their decadent shogunate being secretly attended by Rakshasa spies and politicians.

That said, how about a Fallen Rakshasa, Rakshasa Exile, Cursed Rakshasa or however else one might name it? Perhaps, similar to vampires, they appear as decadent nobles, but there's always a chance of them becoming bestial?

It'd fit the Buddhist influences. Still, it's kind of important for D&D Rakshasa to maintain some of the Magnificent Bastard appeal. There are a couple of ways I can think of to do this: the first is to make feral ones servile to the civil Rakshasa, by choice or not; the other is to make the feral ones into some kind of devout huntsmen, whose magic and intellect are given solely to the hunting of the proud and legendary, be they Good or Evil.

Does that sound fair, or do you feel differently?

inuyasha
2016-08-17, 09:14 PM
I'd just like to contribute that rakshasa lore from second edition mentions that they don't all have tiger heads (though tiger and ape heads are common), which I think would help make them more interesting if it were to be implemented in this project somehow.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-17, 09:52 PM
I must again draw upon the salt shaker; I know of only two races in D&D that have two left hands. One is the Rakshasa.

Actually, their palms are backwards, like their hands are switched.

Eldan
2016-08-18, 02:28 PM
I'm looking at Dragon 326 now. Not that much that we can use.

It suggests something like a crossing between fiendish animals and devils as the Rakshasa origin. THat's quite, quite dull and unfitting, though it also suggests that this might not be true.

IT also mentions, like AD&D, that there are, apart form tiger-shaped ones, ape, crocodile, bear and mantis Rakshasa known.

Apart from that, honestly not that much. They prefer eating raw meat and living animals, but with as many expensive side-dishes and spices as possible. They don't, however, just enjoy luxury, they enjoy taking it away from others. And then displaying it as ostentatiously as possible. As such, they especially enjoy exotic slaves.

Apparently, they like to infiltrate mortal governments and other organizations and corrupting them until they collapse. It amuses them.

Honestly, not much we couldn't have come up with ourselves, and nothing that an't be inferred from the basic description (decadent noble is actually decadent animal-headed shapeshifter).

I think I'll start work on the Feral Rakshasa first, that interests me most, currently. I was thinking of giving it something like the druid's shapeshift from PHBII, it's I think still the best working form of shapeshifting in D&D.

We shoudn't create too many Raskhasa versions, however, so far, we have Feral, Illusionist, Shapechanger, Psion and more. We need more things like feats, spells, martial styles, prestige classes. Material for players, or Rakshasa servants. Any ideas?

Hashmalum
2016-08-18, 02:48 PM
I did find one more piece of existing material in Dragon magazine about rakshasas--there's a 5 level prestige class called Tiger Mask in Dragon magazine #300 (pages 64-65) for devoted servants of rakshasas who worship them as deities. The background has some information about the relationship between rakshasas and their followers that could be used.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-18, 03:09 PM
If we go with the "evil Souls that escape their just punishment" interpretation, it implies that mortals have the ability to become Rakshasa. Perhaps we could have a Dragon Disciple type of class that makes one into a Rakshasa instead? Paragon classes could be another answer, as could alternate class features (I think in particular an evil alternate druid that loses animals companionship for better shape shifting would be awesome)

Eldan
2016-08-19, 11:50 AM
Feral Rakshasa

Uncontrolled and savage, Feral Rakshasa are those among the race that have given in to their bestial natures. They are wildnerness-dwelling cannibals, travelling the land in search of prey. Unlike their more refined brethren, they will eat carrion and can often be found near battlefields, graveyards, slaughterhouses and similar places. They are insatiable and perfectly able to eat dozens of cows or similarly sized animals in a day. They are able to change into various animals, and will often do so both to fight and to stalk prey.
Occasionally, they can be hired as mercenaries in exchange for large amounts of food, but it is a dangerous proposition to attempt this.

Feral Rakshasa
Large Outsider (native)
HD 12d8+60 (114)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Init: +6
AC 22; touch 12; flat-footed 10
(+2 dex +10 natural)
BAB +12; Grp +23
Attack Standard attack Claw +20 melee (2d4+7, 19-20 critical))
Full-Attack 2 claws +20 melee (2d4+7, 19-20 critical) and bite +14 melee (2d6+7)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce
Special Qualities Martial Savant, Scent, Damage Reduction 15/good and piercing
Saves Fort +13, Ref +10 Will +10
Abilities Str 25, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills Hide +17, Intimidate +14, Jump +27, Listen +17, Move Silently +17, Spot +17, Survival +17
Feats , Track, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Improved Initiative, Weapon focus (claw), Improved Critical (claw)
Environment Any warm (forests, savannahs, hills, mountains)
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 10
Treasure Standard gold; double gems
Alignment Usually chaotic evil*

Change Shape: (su)
The feral Rakshasa can take on the shape of any predatory small or medium sized animal. Preferred shapes are raptors, for flight or sharks for swimming.

Pounce (Ex):

If a Feral Rakshasa charges, it can make a full attack.

Martial Savant:
The Feral Rakshasa knows several martial stances and maneuvers and can use each of them once per encounter, at initiator level 6.

Level 1: Charging Minotaur (strike), Blood in the Water (stance), Sudden Leap (boost), Wolf Fang Strike
Level 2: Claw at the Moon (strike), Rabid Wolf Strike
Level 3: Leaping Dragon Stance, Flesh Ripper (strike)
Level 4: Fountain of Blood (Boost)

St.Just
2016-08-19, 01:26 PM
I'm looking at Dragon 326 now. Not that much that we can use.

It suggests something like a crossing between fiendish animals and devils as the Rakshasa origin. THat's quite, quite dull and unfitting, though it also suggests that this might not be true.

We should definitely come up with out origin if that's all they have, yeah.

Apart from that, honestly not that much. They prefer eating raw meat and living animals, but with as many expensive side-dishes and spices as possible. They don't, however, just enjoy luxury, they enjoy taking it away from others. And then displaying it as ostentatiously as possible. As such, they especially enjoy exotic slaves.

Apparently, they like to infiltrate mortal governments and other organizations and corrupting them until they collapse. It amuses them.

I've got this image of there being a traditional competition where two rakshasa's infiltrate a city or organization and see who can hallow it out and bring it crashing down faster.

Eldan
2016-08-19, 03:49 PM
That reminds me of the LIes of Locke Lamora, where in one book, two organizations of wizards both compete in who can influence the democracy of their country more.

Sounds fun. Let's crash the world economy for giggles. I can now see the Rakshasa being behind things like the tulip bubble or the South Sea Company.

Eldan
2016-08-21, 07:10 PM
So, anyone working on anything? Anyone got suggestions or comments? Ideas? I can't do this all alone.

Zaydos
2016-08-22, 03:15 AM
Ok question: Where does it talk about Ravanna as the rakshasas' god as pertains to D&D.

Like Wiki references it, but he's not mentioned in the 2e Monster Manual (though it does remind me of why they're lawful with such a gem as "Rakshasa society is led by a rajah or maharajah, whose commands are to be obeyed without question." also notes that the strongest rakshasa have extra heads (a nod to Ravanna), though I do sort of want to make Rakshasa Maharajahs as Rakshasa++, so if you knew the source it might help.

Either way I started thinking about possibly treating Ravanna not as a god, but merely a unique Rakshasa of extreme power who serves as one of their most powerful nobles, but I wanted to look at the original D&D fluff before actually really suggesting it. Couldn't find him in the AD&D Deities and Demigods either, or 2e Legends and Lore (bless my uncle's old book collection).

My own stuff might be a bit slow since I have a fair plate full of other homebrew atm, but I ought to be able to do something if my brain starts percolating ideas.

Eldan
2016-08-22, 06:08 AM
I'm actually not sure. The only mention I've found so far was on Wikipedia, which I like using as a starting point as it often lists all the older books some lore point is mentioned in. It mentions him twice, with no citations. Searching Planewalker brings up one answer, googling him not much either. I'll dig through some other books. On Hallowed Ground, which lists many, many fairly obscure gods, lists him amongst neither the monstrous powers nor the Vedic powers.

By the way, I read some of Pathfinder's Rakshasa fluff and I quite like it. There, Rakshasa are evil souls who are so tied to earthly wealth and pleasure that they don't move on to the afterlife (likely becoming devils), but instead reincarnate right back to the same world they died on.

Edit: Wiki mentions Rakshasa Knights serve Ravanna, and they are in Dragon 84. I'll see if I can find that online.

Eldan
2016-08-22, 06:34 AM
Okay. Dragon Magazine 84 is on an archive site. Not sure how legal it is, so I won't link it. It has an article called "Never the same thing twice: Demystifying the Rakshasa"

Interestingly, the main illustration looks like a mixture of Orang-Utan and Ogre, with giant claws and tusks. They actually give real world scholarly sources here, namely pointing to "Funk and Wagnall's Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend". In fact, it mostly discusses the real world mythology.

They also mention that myth has three basic version of Rakshasa: an incorporeal spirit that possesses people and makes them sick, an ogre-like brute and an enormously powerful creature they compare to Greek titans and Norse giants.

I quite like the writing style of really old D&D, by they way. It's written from a first person perspective and uses a lot of phrasing like "In my world Rakshasa are..." and "The way I use them..." Neat way to tell a newcomer that these are suggestions, not law.

There's the legend on how Ravanna came to be immune to all powers of immortals: he meditated for ten thousand years, cutting off one head every thousand years until, when he was about to cut off the last head, Brahma appeared and granted him a wish: to be immune to all powers of gods and demons. When asked about protection from men and beasts, he just sneered and said he did not need that. So he was slain by mortal avatars of Vishnu.

After his defeat by Rama, the author suggests, Ravana's spirit came to rest in Acheron and he was so shamed by his defeat that since then, he has not left his fortress.

Also, holy crap were they powerful back then. All Rakshasa. I mean, I'm not sure how good their stats are in comparison, as I'm not familiar with D&D that old, but it lists that all Raskhasa are flat out immune to all magic of level 8 or lower and nonmagic weapons, with half-damage from weapons of less than +5 enchantment, I mean, I know that's how what is now damage reduction worked back then, but that looks excessive. They also all of them get more powerful at night. Blessed crossbow bolts kill them instantly during the day, but deal tripple damage during the night and their damage and damage resistance increases.

Rakshasa Lords cast spells as clerics, magic-users and illusionsts.

Ravanna is listed as a large-sized Fighter 25/Cleric 14/magic user 16/illusionist 25, with grade VI psionics too and a fully ludicrious, for the time, 366 HP.

His goals are to enslave all humans, basically. Not very exciting. That said, his priests are ordered to kidnap noble human females and sacrifice them to him, symbolic of his kidnapping of Rama's sister. (Which was a revenge act for the slaying of Ravana's sister.) His priests are to preach that deviousness is the highest virtue.

I also like the author's final comment:

Although I was skeptical about the accu-
racy of the AD&D game version of raksha-
sas when I began my research, I soon found
it is a fairly good adaptation. My only
complaints are that a rakshasaís magical
ability (immunity to spells) is a trifle high,
and the damage per attack is too low; rak-
shasas were renowned as fierce and deadly
warriors. To compensate for those flaws, I
created the elite rakshasa knight to give the
species some firepower in battle.
Many people have another problem with
the AD&D game version: Rakshasas are
commonly referred to as ėdemonsî in
myth, but the Monster Manual lists their
alignment as lawful evil, while demons are
chaotic evil. However, this complaint is
based on a fallacy. Rakshasas are considered
to be one member of a class of creatures
called
asuras,
a word that scholars translate
as ėdemon.î But in this case, ėdemonî
refers to any creature from the lower (evil)
planes, not just those that exhibit chaotic
evil tendencies.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-22, 11:06 PM
I've recently gotten my grips on a description of Rakshasa from 2e. While the material relating to their culture is just a shallow pastiche of Indian culture, there was a piece of information I liked. Rakshasa are "said to be the embodiment of nightmares". That's probably just poetic description, but I think it fits the incarnate evil thing pretty well: when you come back wrong, you come back wrong.

If we go with the 'escaped from judgment' angle, (which I really do like, by the way) wouldn't that put a bounty on the heads of every Rakshasa in the eyes of the Powers? Seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't take kindly to.

So, anyone working on anything? Anyone got suggestions or comments? Ideas? I can't do this all alone.

Here are a few thoughts I had a couple days ago. Ideally, I'd do them myself, but I am incredibly non-industrious.

Nightmare Agent [Rogue & Warlock Variants]
>The Rakshasa embody the sadistic arrogance of those who know that they are beyond redress from their victims; those mortals who find this power for themselves, whether by pact or persona, are called Nightmare Agents.

Catspaw Rukh [Crusader & Knight Variants]
>Those serfs whose skill at arms and devotion to their Rakshasa masters far surpass the norm are looked upon favorably, for they have the potential to become Rakshasa themselves.

Yaksha Puppet [Marshall Variant]
>Adopted by particularly ambitious Rakshasa, these oft-willing patsies gain the power to illure and command with the same casual ease as their kin.

St.Just
2016-08-23, 02:36 AM
Between Eldan's feral/fallen rakshasa(which seems awesome to me, but I'm awful at balancing 3.5) and the Naityan, I kind of like the idea of making the martial initiator system a theme for the non-magic using rakshasas.

By the way, I read some of Pathfinder's Rakshasa fluff and I quite like it. There, Rakshasa are evil souls who are so tied to earthly wealth and pleasure that they don't move on to the afterlife (likely becoming devils), but instead reincarnate right back to the same world they died on.

I really do like this idea. It also adds a nice bit of inbuilt conflict to them-A rakshasa's soul, by definition, should be in hell. While quite a few devils are willing to overlook that for a good deal, the Lord of the Nine who feels cheated by their existence (Dispator? Mammon?) has made retrieving their souls a matter of policy for his vassals.

By the same token, there's not really any strong metaphysical force keeping a rakshasa's soul in its current state. It's actually very easy for it to fall back into the regular process of the afterlife should they die. Nothing actually binds them to the chains of decadence and decadence or the trappings of wealth-but if they ever let go, there will slip away into the hells soon enough.

Eldan
2016-08-23, 07:04 AM
I do quite like the idea of the princes of hell sending agents to collect Rakshasa. Several of them would apply. Pretty much all of the catholic mortal sind should apply to Rakshasa.

I can see a kind of bounty-hunter/inquisitor type of class with hellish powers, who track down Rakshasa, sever their metaphorical chains and then kill them to send them to hell. Some anti-illusion powers, blessed weapons, maybe item destruction to represent destroying their wealth, though I'm unsure here. Maybe the way to bring a Rakshasa to hell is actually to just utterly humiliate them.

khadgar567
2016-08-23, 07:19 AM
I do quite like the idea of the princes of hell sending agents to collect Rakshasa. Several of them would apply. Pretty much all of the catholic mortal sind should apply to Rakshasa.

I can see a kind of bounty-hunter/inquisitor type of class with hellish powers, who track down Rakshasa, sever their metaphorical chains and then kill them to send them to hell. Some anti-illusion powers, blessed weapons, maybe item destruction to represent destroying their wealth, though I'm unsure here. Maybe the way to bring a Rakshasa to hell is actually to just utterly humiliate them.
sound good but how you gonna handle the sin of lust

Eldan
2016-08-23, 08:06 AM
Most of the sins have tons of definitions, and even the number of them changed over time. I mean, we don't usually put hubris, boasting, vainglory or depression on the list anymore. The original Luxuria may also mean extravagance, or strong desires in general, not just for sexual gratification. As in "thou shalt not covet".

There's some overlap with greed, of course, but it fits Rakshasa quite well.

Between Eldan's feral/fallen rakshasa(which seems awesome to me, but I'm awful at balancing 3.5) and the Naityan, I kind of like the idea of making the martial initiator system a theme for the non-magic using rakshasas.

Honestly, I tend to put martial maneuvers on most things I homebrew. I can't realy think of running combat without maneuvers anymore. It's so dull.

khadgar567
2016-08-23, 08:13 AM
Most of the sins have tons of definitions, and even the number of them changed over time. I mean, we don't usually put hubris, boasting, vainglory or depression on the list anymore. The original Luxuria may also mean extravagance, or strong desires in general, not just for sexual gratification. As in "thou shalt not covet".

There's some overlap with greed, of course, but it fits Rakshasa quite well.
we can go with lust for power as main focus

Eldan
2016-08-24, 10:13 AM
I was actually thinking something different. Lust for wealth. Rakshasa, as written, are almost a kind of undead. They are spirits that dont' move on, but unlike ghosts, they reincarnate into physical bodies. Physically impressive bodies, too. Regal, charismatic, hearty, tough, fast. So I was thinking. Ghosts are mortals who don't move on for mental reasons. Abstract concepts. Revenge. Family. Oaths. Dissatisfaction with their burial. So they take on an incorporeal shape. Rakshasa, then, to get corporeal shapes, would reincarnate for base and materialistic reasons. Treasure, food, sex, combat, physical power. All their ostentatious refinement is just to show off how much stuff they have.

khadgar567
2016-08-24, 10:35 AM
I was actually thinking something different. Lust for wealth. Rakshasa, as written, are almost a kind of undead. They are spirits that dont' move on, but unlike ghosts, they reincarnate into physical bodies. Physically impressive bodies, too. Regal, charismatic, hearty, tough, fast. So I was thinking. Ghosts are mortals who don't move on for mental reasons. Abstract concepts. Revenge. Family. Oaths. Dissatisfaction with their burial. So they take on an incorporeal shape. Rakshasa, then, to get corporeal shapes, would reincarnate for base and materialistic reasons. Treasure, food, sex, combat, physical power. All their ostentatious refinement is just to show off how much stuff they have.
you just needed to say that now we have book of erotic fantasy on the f ing table thanks mate

Eldan
2016-08-24, 11:32 AM
Who said we did? That book is terrible. I wouldn't use it.

khadgar567
2016-08-24, 11:34 AM
Who said we did? That book is terrible. I wouldn't use it.
you say the bolded part and that's enough for me or any dm to ring some bells

Eldan
2016-08-24, 11:42 AM
Yeah, just because I mention sex doesn't mean we have to use a pretty badly written book about the mechanics of it.

khadgar567
2016-08-24, 11:48 AM
Yeah, just because I mention sex doesn't mean we have to use a pretty badly written book about the mechanics of it.
let's not open that can of worms unless we want treat derailment

St.Just
2016-08-24, 04:46 PM

Sounds like an excellent idea for a PrC (and a fun way to put some uncomfortable choices about who to ally with to the PCs). I'm not sure if humiliation and loss of face should be enough to doom the Rakshasa, but it certainly seems like a good trigger to send them feral.

Honestly, I tend to put martial maneuvers on most things I homebrew. I can't realy think of running combat without maneuvers anymore. It's so dull.

If we end up making a shapeshifter/infiltrator, giving them some Shadow Hand stances/maneuvers would probably work then.

I actually really like that idea. If you've ever seen the anime Last Exile, the main villain strikes me as a good example of Rakshasa gluttony as well. Not gorging themselves or devouring entire herds in one sitting, but eating a dish whose creation required hunting down the last examples of several different races or bloodlines, converting all the farmland needed to grow wheat or rice into spices or fodder for favored beasts, and so on.

let's not open that can of worms unless we want treat derailment

With respect, you're the one derailing the thread over it.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-24, 10:54 PM
I actually really like that idea. If you've ever seen the anime Last Exile, the main villain strikes me as a good example of Rakshasa gluttony as well. Not gorging themselves or devouring entire herds in one sitting, but eating a dish whose creation required hunting down the last examples of several different races or bloodlines, converting all the farmland needed to grow wheat or rice into spices or fodder for favored beasts, and so on.

So... hubris, then? I like it. I would like to point out that there is (in my opinion) a reason why Rakshasa are always displayed in traditional D&D with a tiger head. The tiger isn't the mightiest beast in the world, or the deadliest, but it's certainly the proudest. I think that association is important for Rakshasa.

And lust does fit Rakshasa, to the best of my limited understanding. Lust is not explicitly the desire for sex, but rather... for lack of a better term, 'the chase'. It's a cure for the boredom that comes with stagnation, and so its association with nobility and predators alike is well-founded. Lust is a hunter that lives only for the prowl, the chase, and the kill; it was always empty, but with more things to capture, to control, and to consume, it can forget that for awhile and pretend that it's still a real person.

Sounds like an excellent idea for a PrC (and a fun way to put some uncomfortable choices about who to ally with to the PCs). I'm not sure if humiliation and loss of face should be enough to doom the Rakshasa, but it certainly seems like a good trigger to send them feral.

I imagine the Celestials must be even more angry about it than the Fiends are, because this horrible person is playing hooky on his death warrant and taking a wide load all over their careful Good/Evil detente. It actually sounds like one of those rare moments when you could get MM-standard fiends and celestials to work together without coercion.

Though, being as they are likely hated by Big Good and Big Evil alike, and they probably don't have the same Epic-level natural advancement as dragons... how is their lifespan not measured in (X+Yd6) minutes? 4th Edition had their spiritual aspect tied into the Primal Power Source, which meant that naughty or nice if an Outsider came over to Smite Kitty and made a mess doing it, the natural world would notice the invader and attempt to crush or expel them as necessary.

St.Just
2016-08-25, 02:11 AM
So... hubris, then? I like it. I would like to point out that there is (in my opinion) a reason why Rakshasa are always displayed in traditional D&D with a tiger head. The tiger isn't the mightiest beast in the world, or the deadliest, but it's certainly the proudest. I think that association is important for Rakshasa.

And lust does fit Rakshasa, to the best of my limited understanding. Lust is not explicitly the desire for sex, but rather... for lack of a better term, 'the chase'. It's a cure for the boredom that comes with stagnation, and so its association with nobility and predators alike is well-founded. Lust is a hunter that lives only for the prowl, the chase, and the kill; it was always empty, but with more things to capture, to control, and to consume, it can forget that for awhile and pretend that it's still a real person.

That tracks to me, as well. I imagine that your average Rakshasa is also the sort prone to humiliating or enslaving enemies rather than just killing them-the catharsis of a properly savored victory, and a living testament to the Rakshasa's power and 'mercy' is far preferably to a corpse in an unmarked grave.

I imagine the Celestials must be even more angry about it than the Fiends are, because this horrible person is playing hooky on his death warrant and taking a wide load all over their careful Good/Evil detente. It actually sounds like one of those rare moments when you could get MM-standard fiends and celestials to work together without coercion.

Though, being as they are likely hated by Big Good and Big Evil alike, and they probably don't have the same Epic-level natural advancement as dragons... how is their lifespan not measured in (X+Yd6) minutes? 4th Edition had their spiritual aspect tied into the Primal Power Source, which meant that naughty or nice if an Outsider came over to Smite Kitty and made a mess doing it, the natural world would notice the invader and attempt to crush or expel them as necessary.

That kind of depends on how you think the Celestial is weighing things. Is the Rakshasa doing more harm than hell would with such a (presumably) powerful soul? Can it be redeemed?

Beyond that, same questions applies to Liches, doesn't it? A mixture of actually being pretty powerful, and all the stuff that could squash them like a bug having real trouble reaching the prime material except through proxies.

Eldan
2016-08-25, 03:18 AM
One reason would presumably be that Rakshasa can act on the prime, where the exemplars have their hands tied. Neither devils nor archons can do to the material without being summoned. So if they fight Rakshasa at all, it would be via mortal proxies.

NO, the ones really fighting them would be Eladrin. Eladrin have this unique thing among the outer planar races: they can go to the prime, as long as they disguise themselves as mortals while doing so and don't reveal their powers. I'd imagine a lot of intrigue wars between Eladrin and Rakshasa, both in mortal shape and using a lot of catspaws (har har) and illusions.

Zaydos
2016-08-25, 03:43 AM
Are we keeping rakshasa as Lawful Evil?

Because if we do that creates interesting dynamics. They don't lead mortals to Lawful Evil usually, and are depriving Baator of (their) soul meaning the Devils want them dead or conscripted. The archons want them dead because you know going against the whole cosmic order and oh yeah because they want the Devils to win the Blood War.

The tanar'ri want to help them, and encourage their creation as each one is at least one less soul for Baator. The eladrin, nominally preferring the tanar'ri to the baatezu, are put in a bad place. The rakshasa are pretty much everything they want to protect the Prime from but at the same time killing them helps the baatezu and may hurt the multiverse in the long run.

Of course I'd prefer to keep them primarily sexually reproducing. I mean we need an origin, and a non-sexual means for them to appear, but it helps keep with their native outsider status that they can and if they do (once a century or so like in the old fluff) it gives a reason for them to be more than exceedingly rare. Since you know 'slips through the cracks and becomes powerful fiend' should really not be common in the multiverse much less on any given Prime.

Eldan
2016-08-25, 03:46 AM
It could be a reason for Feral Rakshasa, maybe. Only Prime Rakshasas, or whatever else they are called, have the sorcerous power and intelligence. Their children are mostly feral beasts. Because only those that arrise from corrupted mortal souls have the experience and willpower.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-25, 04:03 AM

Because if we do that creates interesting dynamics. They don't lead mortals to Lawful Evil usually, and are depriving Baator of (their) soul meaning the Devils want them dead or conscripted. The archons want them dead because you know going against the whole cosmic order and oh yeah because they want the Devils to win the Blood War.

The tanar'ri want to help them, and encourage their creation as each one is at least one less soul for Baator. The eladrin, nominally preferring the tanar'ri to the baatezu, are put in a bad place. The rakshasa are pretty much everything they want to protect the Prime from but at the same time killing them helps the baatezu and may hurt the multiverse in the long run.

Of course, that's for the long-term thinking Outsiders, for the lower level devils and demons I would imagine the opposite is true, where lesser baatezu make deals and alliances with Rakshasa all the time to further their ends, and lesser tanar'ri see them as just as much a blockage to their conquests as devils. food for thought, also been thinking up a couple ideas for this splatbook, may post one soon, we'll see.

St.Just
2016-08-25, 04:25 AM
NO, the ones really fighting them would be Eladrin. Eladrin have this unique thing among the outer planar races: they can go to the prime, as long as they disguise themselves as mortals while doing so and don't reveal their powers. I'd imagine a lot of intrigue wars between Eladrin and Rakshasa, both in mortal shape and using a lot of catspaws (har har) and illusions.

A quick glance at the Eladrin (and hoy boy are they sparser than devils or demons) and it seems like the Ghaele actually fit the role perfectly. Knights-errant travelling the planes fighting tyranny, known for working behind the scenes and through subterfuge more than the rest of their kind, and in theory* more powerful, but not so much that it's a no contest battle (CR 13 vs 10).

I've seen a couple references to a type called the Shiradi that might fit the billl as well, but I can't track down where they're actually written up.

*I haven't used either nearly enough to know how'd they actually compare.

I agree, but I also tend to think that that sort of allowing suffering on the (even reasonably high) chance that it would cause more suffering in the long term is pretty antithetical to cosmic CG. But that's certainly not worth derailing the thread over, so :smalltongue:

Of course, that's for the long-term thinking Outsiders, for the lower level devils and demons I would imagine the opposite is true, where lesser baatezu make deals and alliances with Rakshasa all the time to further their ends, and lesser tanar'ri see them as just as much a blockage to their conquests as devils. food for thought, also been thinking up a couple ideas for this splatbook, may post one soon, we'll see.

If nothing else, I'm sure more than one Rakshasa with a sorcerer level picked up LPB to get some diabolical flunkies.

It could be a reason for Feral Rakshasa, maybe. Only Prime Rakshasas, or whatever else they are called, have the sorcerous power and intelligence. Their children are mostly feral beasts. Because only those that arrise from corrupted mortal souls have the experience and willpower.

Between that, and the whole decadent noble theme, maybe Rakshasa have the ability (either innately, through an inherent ritual,, or just a common bit of lore) to either transplant or consume an appropriate soul to anoint one of their children a scion or heir? "Appropriate" might mean "would be a Kinshasa if they had the gumption" or "powerful enough" or something else, not sure, and the ritual might have to be done at either conception, birth or coming of age.

Eldan
2016-08-25, 05:33 AM
A quick glance at the Eladrin (and hoy boy are they sparser than devils or demons) and it seems like the Ghaele actually fit the role perfectly. Knights-errant travelling the planes fighting tyranny, known for working behind the scenes and through subterfuge more than the rest of their kind, and in theory* more powerful, but not so much that it's a no contest battle (CR 13 vs 10).

I've seen a couple references to a type called the Shiradi that might fit the billl as well, but I can't track down where they're actually written up.

*I haven't used either nearly enough to know how'd they actually compare.

Yeah, Eladrin get nothing in third edition. You'd have to look to second ed. Planescape Monstrous compendium (part two, I think) and Planes of Chaos.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-25, 06:00 AM
maybe Rakshasa have the ability to either transplant or consume an appropriate soul to anoint one of their children a scion or heir?

One of my ideas was that Rakshasa use adoption to make their political proxies. That way the puppet becomes a deniable asset; his ability as a ruler is very much real and powerful, but it can't be seen through by any casual spellcaster as it technically isn't even magic, just a thing Rakshasa can do. The risk of backdraft is low, as their majesty stems entirely from the Rakshasa and can be revoked or conditioned with relative ease. Best of all, it can be done without breaking disguise, so there are any number of things one can do to trick some country bumpkin into becoming the next King Arthur wannabe.

And then, there's that moment. The Rakshasa publicly reveals his true form, destabilizes the careful house of cards that his 'kin' has no doubt built, and deprives them of the very power they would need to save it, all in one fell swoop. Even in the life of an immortal, that's the kind of thing you never forget. To give a man a taste of true glory and power, and then grind him back down into sand, is quite possibly the greatest gift a Rakshasa can give himself.

Of course, there have to be limits to this. I figure the most obvious is that, though it's a one-in-a-million chance, one of these puppets can technically slip his chains by actually being glorious and righteous and so on. Those are really bad odds in a world with PC characters. Maybe something else, too... I have to think further on it. Perhaps the Rakshasa becomes more vulnerable the more puppets he has?

Of course I'd prefer to keep them primarily sexually reproducing. I mean we need an origin, and a non-sexual means for them to appear, but it helps keep with their native outsider status that they can and if they do (once a century or so like in the old fluff) it gives a reason for them to be more than exceedingly rare. Since you know 'slips through the cracks and becomes powerful fiend' should really not be common in the multiverse much less on any given Prime.

I think the 2e description mentions that female Rakshasa do exist, called Rakshasi. They're just Rakshasa that are female, but are mostly used as courtesans and breeding stock; it is also mentioned that a new generation is produced once per century, despite having 1~3 females per male. With stats like that, active population control is probably involved; either that, shamefully low fecundity, or decades-long pregnancies.

St.Just
2016-08-25, 06:16 PM
Yeah, Eladrin get nothing in third edition. You'd have to look to second ed. Planescape Monstrous compendium (part two, I think) and Planes of Chaos.

Ah, I've only got access to resources for 3.0 and onward (aside from a few Dragon and Dungeon issues) sadly.

One of my ideas was that Rakshasa use adoption to make their political proxies. That way the puppet becomes a deniable asset; his ability as a ruler is very much real and powerful, but it can't be seen through by any casual spellcaster as it technically isn't even magic, just a thing Rakshasa can do. The risk of backdraft is low, as their majesty stems entirely from the Rakshasa and can be revoked or conditioned with relative ease. Best of all, it can be done without breaking disguise, so there are any number of things one can do to trick some country bumpkin into becoming the next King Arthur wannabe.

And then, there's that moment. The Rakshasa publicly reveals his true form, destabilizes the careful house of cards that his 'kin' has no doubt built, and deprives them of the very power they would need to save it, all in one fell swoop. Even in the life of an immortal, that's the kind of thing you never forget. To give a man a taste of true glory and power, and then grind him back down into sand, is quite possibly the greatest gift a Rakshasa can give himself.

Of course, there have to be limits to this. I figure the most obvious is that, though it's a one-in-a-million chance, one of these puppets can technically slip his chains by actually being glorious and righteous and so on. Those are really bad odds in a world with PC characters. Maybe something else, too... I have to think further on it. Perhaps the Rakshasa becomes more vulnerable the more puppets he has?

A Rakshasa playing Merlin/Dumbledore/Genie in order to poor the rug out from under the guy does sound fun. Maybe the blessing requires committing a spell slot (level corresponding to power of the blessing) for the duration? And if the proxy actually does break away, "the duration" is their natural life.

I think the 2e description mentions that female Rakshasa do exist, called Rakshasi. They're just Rakshasa that are female, but are mostly used as courtesans and breeding stock; it is also mentioned that a new generation is produced once per century, despite having 1~3 females per male. With stats like that, active population control is probably involved; either that, shamefully low fecundity, or decades-long pregnancies.

An obsession with eugenics and proper bloodlines and circumstances in order to breed Prime/High Rakshasas would fit, I think.

I'm not sure I care for the inherent gender roles, to be honest. At the very least there shouldn't be anything preventing a woman being reincarnated as a Rakshasa the 'proper' way, and the personality that goes with that doesn't seem amenable to life as a courtesan.

Eldan
2016-08-25, 06:34 PM
I read that, about Rakshasi, yes. There's a reason I didn't mention it. Let's just quietly drop that and never speak of it again. Tigresses are cool.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-25, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure I care for the inherent gender roles, to be honest.

Oh, most certainly. I was just relaying the 2e info.

Zaydos
2016-08-25, 06:51 PM
I also left it out (2e Monster Manual was my first D&D book that was mine and not mine and my older brother's) because it should not be spoken of. I just liked the sexually reproducing fiends from 2e and earlier because it makes them less of a 'why would these not be 1 off creatures' and also simultaneously less of a 'why aren't these baatezu'.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-25, 10:11 PM
What if these Souls had a patron fiend, with only so much pull in hell, but enough in the Prime to get hills servants manifested there?

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-25, 10:26 PM
What if these Souls had a patron fiend, with only so much pull in hell, but enough in the Prime to get hills servants manifested there?

Can that even be done? I could've sworn the Prime was off limits for most forms of Outer and Power chicanery. That kind of loophole would have to be one of the best-kept secrets on Baator to see any use.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-26, 01:18 AM
Can that even be done? I could've sworn the Prime was off limits for most forms of Outer and Power chicanery. That kind of loophole would have to be one of the best-kept secrets on Baator to see any use.

Probably... maybe the power to keep the soul on the Prime instead? I must admit my cosmology is a tad lacking.

Zaydos
2016-08-26, 03:03 AM
I don't know why I did this and they're pretty bad...

It was the dawn of history. Magic was still not well studied, my children, not as it is today. The king Ravanna ruled a vast kingdom then, at least vast for its day. Yet age came to the great king, as it does to us all. Some say that liches did not yet exist in these primordial days, others just hint that Ravanna's natural talent for sorcery had not seen fit to bestow upon him the necessary necromantic magics. Whatever the truth when Ravanna sought immortality he did not turn to undeath.

No Ravanna turned to the powers of the gods. Not as a priest might. No, Ravanna was a proud king and he would bend no knee not even to the gods themselves. Instead he summoned demons and devils and he interrogated them on the nature of divinity. He would become a god by stealing the divine spark of a god. The fiends told Ravanna something for he moved forward with his plans.

First he corrupted and twisted the people of the capital as the devils instructed him. It took years. He whittled away at the rights of the clergy of the gods, he made blood oaths to devils a mandatory part of the oaths of office in army and government, he offered tax exemptions to those who would swear to Father Dis. In this way he served Hell and in return Hell helped him teaching him more and darker secrets even as the people of his kingdom became ever more twisted.

Once he had learned enough he sent his soldiers out far and wide, taking as slave elves and dwarves, men, and others. That was when the great ziggurat was built. It was our ancestors who built it, and it was when Ravanna split us from the high elves. Ravanna sent his men to the Ten Temples which served Shijin in that time, armed with chains forged by Father Dis himself. They bound Shijin's spirit tigers with those blasphemous chains and pulled them into the capital of Ravanna's kingdom and pulled them to the top of the great ziggurat he had built. There Ravanna bathed in their blood one by one, his executioners slaying the holy beasts so that he might in this ritual steal their divinity. Of the ten legendary creatures nine were slain one after another, and their god drained of his life little by little.

Even as Ravanna completed this ritual, his followers emulated him. The nobles of his court bathed in the blood of apes, tigers, and the beasts of the jungle, those fearsome creatures which are more than a match for so many men. The lesser members of his kingdom sacrificed their slaves and bathed instead in their blood, and by thousands the slaves were killed that day.

Yet there was a disturbance during the ritual. The six heroes, Aleissa, Nylle, Vallospher, Eriphon, Wreir, and Irlia, were brave and true of cause. At first they released the slaves, but in the end they turned towards the ziggurat. They came to stop Ravanna's ascension and they saved the last spirit tiger, and if tales be true Nylle threw herself in front of the arrow meant for it, ensuring it could escape alive and Ravanna's ritual be halted. For had he slain the 10th spirit tiger he would have fully stolen the godhood he hungered for so badly. Still the powers stolen from the nine tigers coursed through Ravanna's body and he would not be denied.

The heroes were defeated but only after a great expenditure of personal power, and Ravanna retired while they were prepared. It is to the shame of our people to this day my children what we did next. We fled. Most of our kin could not escape, and the next day Ravanna completed his ritual. He bathed in the blood of the heroes who had struggled to stop him in lieu of the last spirit tiger even as his nobles completed their part, for he had promised them immortality and a place in the new Heaven he would create as a god.

Yet Ravanna did not become a god. The five heroes had not the power of the spirit tiger. Aye they had strength, but they were mortal not divine. Ravanna became all but a god, but it was a dark act, a forbidden ritual, and it was a demon that he became in truth. Ravanna became the King of the Rakshasa, and his nobles became the first rakshasa taking on the mein of the tigers, apes, and beasts they sacrificed. The people who had followed them became the first orcs, and thus was our blood feud with the kingdom which once enslaved us passed on to the orcs and thus do we fight them to this day. For remember children, the slaves those six heroes freed were your ancestors, each and every one of them. If Ravanna's plans had gone to fruition not a one of us would have been born, and to this day the rakshasa hunger to extinguish our people. That is why the tiger priests make the hallowed arrows even now, that is why the spirit tiger must be watched and protected, and why the demon tiger that wears its fur feared and hunted.

-A wood elf elder tells of the origin of rakshasa.

Rakshar was a mighty champion in his day. Born a slave his power in sorcery earned him first his freedom and then his fame. He served the king well and title after title was heaped on him. He grew tired with society's praise however. He turned from his duties as defender of the realm, retreating into the wealth it had given him. First he turned to material things, trying to lose himself in the benefits of his position. For a time he was sated, but the luster of gold and the finest things society could offer him grew tarnished quickly. He threw himself into carnal decadence and for a time he was sated, but he had no true noble lady. No, he was slave born and no matter how high his merits took him he would always be slave born, and the nobles would never see him as truly their equal.

He decided then to see them all destroyed and he moved in the circles he could, returning to his role as protector. He became magistrate, and he pushed for law after law which would do not but benefit the rich... in the short term. The senate passed them, after all they would benefit and Rakshar was an idol to the common people, his proposition of the acts would quiet the backlash. Still dissent grew among the commons even as the nobility grew fat, and Rakshar? Rakshar watched as he led them to their destruction. Slowly the commons grew more and more oppressed and rebellion fermented among them. Rakshar advised the king that the peasantry needed but be shown some force, he spearheaded the assassination of their leaders, and the executions of others.

The king trusted him. After all the king had freed him. The king had given him wealth and lands. The king had made him a noble. Why would he lead the king astray? Yet Rakshar did and as civil war tore through the kingdom. It fell and Rakshar pounced moving to try and make himself the new king, but the people remembered his betrayals and once their hero he was condemned to be killed. Rakshar fled, but he was hunted throughout the kingdom.

Perhaps he went mad, perhaps he simply nearly starved, but whatever the truth those that came too close to acting upon information of the sorcerer were found dead, human teeth marks upon their bones. Rakshar fled the kingdom, fleeing to its neighbor and then its and then its till none knew his name, but something had changed in him. He still had wealth, selling a few objects of his personal panoply saw to that, and he founded a trading house. He grew wealthier and wealthier but he was no longer satisfied with anything in life. He had seen the great bloodshed of civil war and he hungered for it again, he hungered for the spice of destruction. Rakshar began to frequent the worst places, disguising himself as a slave to face death in gladiatorial arenas, but the appeal faded after a time, too many victories with his magic and he grew bored. He turned to fiend worship not from any greed or faith, but from sheer idleness. He worshiped them not in exchange for their rewards but in love with the danger and the acts. He saw lovers sacrificed, their blood flowing together at last on the alters to his dark gods and for a time the sheer pain and sorrow on the faces of his victims sated him. Still he sought out the taboo, he ate the flesh of men, he murdered for fun, he sinned to sin.

Then he moved further. He ate the flesh of fiends. He called them to the world in their true form and he killed them there, eating them and drinking their blood. He drew their attention then, and their ire. They found his foes in his birth land, and they arranged him to be surprised by his former enemies. He was captured and his dark sanctuary revealed to his new homeland. Rakshar was executed.

Yet the fiends were given control of his fate, after all he was a being of willful evil to the extreme. Yet he was ready for whatever punishment they had for him. He raved in the court of hell about how he deserved to be tortured for eternity for his sins. He had seen his homeland torn, his fellow slaves degraded to new heights he engineered. He had killed virgins and eaten their hearts. He had done all things that were wicked. He deserved punishment.

It is said his judge smiled then as it gave him its verdict. "You are free to go with but one requirement: indulge your desires."

Then Rakshar awoke. His body was revived from the flesh of the immortal fiends he had eaten, just as they had regrown the flesh he cut away in mere minutes, he had regrown his head from the executioner's axe, his broken hands restored. But his head was changed, no longer that of a man, and his hands were backwards and twisted. Still Rakshar found those desires that were once sated burning in him again, wealth and flesh, and that same hunger for the taboo. He had died, or perhaps he had not, but now he never would.

Rakshar claimed what he wanted. On the field of battle or through illusion he would woo or take the object of his eyes and he would leave them with his unholy prodigy. He claimed kingdoms and he built them upon the backs of slaves only to watch them topple under the weight of their own decadence. Rakshar continued in this way for centuries, perhaps millennia, before the Forces of Good moved to restore the altered balance. A holy bow was made, a hallowed arrow blessed to slay him, and Rakshar was hunted. Rakshar was killed by that arrow, and to this day his bloodline fears the arrow and crossbow's bolt. This time Rakshar died in truth, and as his soul reached Hell he was condemned to be forever imprisoned in Hell never to see or hear the outside world again.

Still his bloodline lives. The mortal demons, the rakshasa. They bear their forebear's lusts, his taboo desires, and they inflict them on humanity forever more. For the fiends sought a way to inflict suffering on humanity, and saw in humanity's own evil heights they could never rival. Thus they turned the evillest of us into a demon unlike any other.

-The story of Rakshar the First Rakshasa.

Eldan
2016-08-26, 01:03 PM
I like it. But then, myth-writing was always a hobby of mine.

When men still lived in the forests, the first and greatest among them was Ravanna. There are seven hundred and seventy seven songs about his deeds and his graces. This is not the song of how he chained the first wolf, that ate his children. This is not the song of why the moon fell in love with him, or why he knows the secret name of fire. This is not the song of how he broke the glaciers and made a spear from the bones of the ice giants.

This is the song of his sin.

In those days, the great serpent impregnated the sky, and she grew pregnant with dark clouds. The sun could no longer see the hearts of men and in the shadows that fell over them, they grew sinful and weak and lazy.

And Ravanna said to them: "How can you be like this? Am I not Ravanna, the king and greatest of kings, and you my people? Is it not for you to toil in the fields and make wonders in the workshops and build my monuments and sing my songs? This is the land of seven streams, the greatest that was and is and will be."

And they replied: "O King, how can we make wonders in the workshops, if the people of the hills under the morning sun always make greater? They say in their workshops, they have made a tiger of glass, twenty spans high and one and filled it with fire, so that its roar tears flesh from bone. And they have made golden birds, that fly and all manners of wonder besides."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "These are mere trinkets besides what we have made. I will go out and show you this."

And he went to the hills that lie under the morning sun, where he met the king of the little people that live under the hills.
"Little King", he said. "They say you have made wonders that are greater than anything my people have made. I call you a liar, for all your work is empty, mere baubles that serve no function save to impress those of weak minds."

The little king smiled, for this was and is how the little people show fury. And he wove a spell of thirty three parts and four and awoke the tiger of glass that slept beneath his throne and the hills shook with its steps and when it roared, all the trees east of the morning sun burned to ashes.

Ravanna knew the secret names of fire and so, he looked at the tiger and said: "Fire, shatter the glass". And the fire in the tiger's glass belly shattered its body and the shards of glowing glass that exploded to all sides dug seventy six deep valleys in the Eastern hills that are still there to this day. The seventy seventh shard and flown out and pierced the little king's heart.

Then, Ravanna turned to the little people and said: "Behold, I have slain your king and his bloodline is no more. Now you will all come with me to my city and work in my workshops and build wonders for my people to see." And he enslaved all the little people of the hills.

Again he spoke to his people. "Do you see how I have enslaved them and they build me wonders? Do you see how we are still the greatest land that was and is and will ever be? Now build my monuments again and sing my songs as you used to."

And they replied: "O King, how can we build you monuments when the people who live under the mountains under the noonday sun always make greater? They say they have carved all the mountains of their home into statues of their ancestors that reach from the bones of the Earth to the vaults of the sky, and the throne of their king has forty rubies and emeralds and diamonds, each bright enough to blind a man, and all manners of other monuments besides."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "There is no glory in these monuments, for none of the people they show are as great as me. I will go out and show you this."
And he went to the mountains that lie under the noonday sun. where he met the king of the stout people that live under the mountains.
"Little King", he said. "They say you have made monuments that are greater than anything my people have made. I call you a liar, for about me, they sing seven hundred and seventy seven songs and the names of your ancestors, no one will remember in a generation."

The stout people were much less subtle than the little people and he showed his fury not by smiling and weaving spells, but by drawing his axe and rushing at Ravanna. But Ravanna had his spear made from the bones of ice giants and he caught the axe and from the cold of the ice bones, the axe shattered and the shards pierced the stout king's eyes, and heart, and tongue. And then he called the glaciers down from the north to the south and the mountains of hte noonday sun and before their might, all the statues that were as tall as mountains were shattered to dust.

Then, Ravanna turned to the stout people and said: "Behold, I have slain your king and his bloodline is no more. Now you will all come with me to my city and work in my quarries and build monuments for my people to see." And he enslaved all the stout people of the mountains.

Again he spoke to his people. "Do you see how I have enslaved them and they build my monuments? Do you see how we are still the greatest land that was and is and will ever be? Now sing songs of my glory as you used to."

And they replied: "O King, how can we sing songs of your glory, if the people of the forests under the evening sun always sing greater? They say their queen can sing the stars to shine and the tide to turn and the storms to quiet to a breeze and that all who hear her weep and fall in love and dash themselves on the cliffs of the oceans for they can never have her."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "There is no glory in these songs, for they sing of old things that have lost their fire since the first days, of storms that came and went and forests that are now fields and stars that shine no more. But our songs are of men, who are young and still have a fire in their hearts greater than the fires of creation. I will go out and show you this."

And he went to the forests that lie under the evening sun to seek their queen. But the tall people of the forests are old and wise and their queen did not confront Ravanna as the others had. She smiled and stepped from shadow to shadow and for seven days and seven nights, Ravanna hunted her and never saw her and only heard her song, as she sang of what no longer exists. And on the seventh day, he was exhausted and paused and finally he listened, and shed a single tear, for the beauty of things that had passed.

And the queen stepped before him and smiled and as she had more grace and beauty than any woman and he desired her greatly. And she said: "O Ravanna. No other has heard my song for seven days without despairing. Truly, you are a great King. Will you not bow your knee to me and lie with me in my bed and be my consort?"

At these words, Ravanna stood straight and proud and shook his mane of black hair free and, looking her in the eye, he sang his own song. He sang of minds of steel and hearts of fire and the will to conquer the earth and the pride of men and not of things that once were, but of things that will be. For Ravanna would never bend his knee.

And as she heard this song, the queen fell in love with Ravanna too, and they embraced under the stars of that land and made love on the hillsides for three nights.

But then, when they were lying together on the grass, the queen smiled and said: " Look at your people. They forge no wonders, for you have enslaved the little people of the hills to do it for them. And they build no monuments, for you have enslaved the stout people of the mountains, to do it for them. And they sing no songs, for you have enslaved my tall people of the forests, to do it for them. Truly, they have become small of body, and twisted of mind and there is no fire in their heart anymore. There is one that is always greater than you, and that is time. All Empires fall in time, and the time of yours will soon come, when your wonders are rust, and your monuments dust and your songs forgotten."

At this, a mighty rage grew in the king's heart. "I AM RAVANNA, HE SAID, GREATEST OF MEN! TIME WILL NOT TAKE MY EMPIRE, FOR IT IS ONLY FOR ME TO TAKE!"
And he took his spear and he clad himself in orange flame as his armor and the head of a great best as his helmet. And he walked out among his people and said: "I see now that there is none of you that still knows of fire and glory! You are weaklings, grown proud and fat on the labour of slaves, yet doing nothing of worth yourself." And he broke the marvels of the workshops and shattered the monuments and slew all that knew the songs. Then he scattered the slaves to the four winds and said: "Remember me, for I am Ravanna and my glory will never be lost to time."

Glowering over the ruinshe looked upon the queen and said:
"I am Ravanna, and I am the greatest of men. I said that the land of seven streams was the greatest that was, and is and ever will be and so I will make it. I will topple all empires to come, to show that none may rise higher than me."

And so he left the land of the seven streams and went out, to bring low all the glories yet to come.

That turned out longer than I thought it would.

nonsi
2016-08-26, 11:40 PM
I don't know why I did this and they're pretty bad...

It was the dawn of history. Magic was still not well studied, my children, not as it is today. The king Ravanna ruled a vast kingdom then, at least vast for its day. Yet age came to the great king, as it does to us all. Some say that liches did not yet exist in these primordial days, others just hint that Ravanna's natural talent for sorcery had not seen fit to bestow upon him the necessary necromantic magics. Whatever the truth when Ravanna sought immortality he did not turn to undeath.

No Ravanna turned to the powers of the gods. Not as a priest might. No, Ravanna was a proud king and he would bend no knee not even to the gods themselves. Instead he summoned demons and devils and he interrogated them on the nature of divinity. He would become a god by stealing the divine spark of a god. The fiends told Ravanna something for he moved forward with his plans.

First he corrupted and twisted the people of the capital as the devils instructed him. It took years. He whittled away at the rights of the clergy of the gods, he made blood oaths to devils a mandatory part of the oaths of office in army and government, he offered tax exemptions to those who would swear to Father Dis. In this way he served Hell and in return Hell helped him teaching him more and darker secrets even as the people of his kingdom became ever more twisted.

Once he had learned enough he sent his soldiers out far and wide, taking as slave elves and dwarves, men, and others. That was when the great ziggurat was built. It was our ancestors who built it, and it was when Ravanna split us from the high elves. Ravanna sent his men to the Ten Temples which served Shijin in that time, armed with chains forged by Father Dis himself. They bound Shijin's spirit tigers with those blasphemous chains and pulled them into the capital of Ravanna's kingdom and pulled them to the top of the great ziggurat he had built. There Ravanna bathed in their blood one by one, his executioners slaying the holy beasts so that he might in this ritual steal their divinity. Of the ten legendary creatures nine were slain one after another, and their god drained of his life little by little.

Even as Ravanna completed this ritual, his followers emulated him. The nobles of his court bathed in the blood of apes, tigers, and the beasts of the jungle, those fearsome creatures which are more than a match for so many men. The lesser members of his kingdom sacrificed their slaves and bathed instead in their blood, and by thousands the slaves were killed that day.

Yet there was a disturbance during the ritual. The six heroes, Aleissa, Nylle, Vallospher, Eriphon, Wreir, and Irlia, were brave and true of cause. At first they released the slaves, but in the end they turned towards the ziggurat. They came to stop Ravanna's ascension and they saved the last spirit tiger, and if tales be true Nylle threw herself in front of the arrow meant for it, ensuring it could escape alive and Ravanna's ritual be halted. For had he slain the 10th spirit tiger he would have fully stolen the godhood he hungered for so badly. Still the powers stolen from the nine tigers coursed through Ravanna's body and he would not be denied.

The heroes were defeated but only after a great expenditure of personal power, and Ravanna retired while they were prepared. It is to the shame of our people to this day my children what we did next. We fled. Most of our kin could not escape, and the next day Ravanna completed his ritual. He bathed in the blood of the heroes who had struggled to stop him in lieu of the last spirit tiger even as his nobles completed their part, for he had promised them immortality and a place in the new Heaven he would create as a god.

Yet Ravanna did not become a god. The five heroes had not the power of the spirit tiger. Aye they had strength, but they were mortal not divine. Ravanna became all but a god, but it was a dark act, a forbidden ritual, and it was a demon that he became in truth. Ravanna became the King of the Rakshasa, and his nobles became the first rakshasa taking on the mein of the tigers, apes, and beasts they sacrificed. The people who had followed them became the first orcs, and thus was our blood feud with the kingdom which once enslaved us passed on to the orcs and thus do we fight them to this day. For remember children, the slaves those six heroes freed were your ancestors, each and every one of them. If Ravanna's plans had gone to fruition not a one of us would have been born, and to this day the rakshasa hunger to extinguish our people. That is why the tiger priests make the hallowed arrows even now, that is why the spirit tiger must be watched and protected, and why the demon tiger that wears its fur feared and hunted.

-A wood elf elder tells of the origin of rakshasa.

Rakshar was a mighty champion in his day. Born a slave his power in sorcery earned him first his freedom and then his fame. He served the king well and title after title was heaped on him. He grew tired with society's praise however. He turned from his duties as defender of the realm, retreating into the wealth it had given him. First he turned to material things, trying to lose himself in the benefits of his position. For a time he was sated, but the luster of gold and the finest things society could offer him grew tarnished quickly. He threw himself into carnal decadence and for a time he was sated, but he had no true noble lady. No, he was slave born and no matter how high his merits took him he would always be slave born, and the nobles would never see him as truly their equal.

He decided then to see them all destroyed and he moved in the circles he could, returning to his role as protector. He became magistrate, and he pushed for law after law which would do not but benefit the rich... in the short term. The senate passed them, after all they would benefit and Rakshar was an idol to the common people, his proposition of the acts would quiet the backlash. Still dissent grew among the commons even as the nobility grew fat, and Rakshar? Rakshar watched as he led them to their destruction. Slowly the commons grew more and more oppressed and rebellion fermented among them. Rakshar advised the king that the peasantry needed but be shown some force, he spearheaded the assassination of their leaders, and the executions of others.

The king trusted him. After all the king had freed him. The king had given him wealth and lands. The king had made him a noble. Why would he lead the king astray? Yet Rakshar did and as civil war tore through the kingdom. It fell and Rakshar pounced moving to try and make himself the new king, but the people remembered his betrayals and once their hero he was condemned to be killed. Rakshar fled, but he was hunted throughout the kingdom.

Perhaps he went mad, perhaps he simply nearly starved, but whatever the truth those that came too close to acting upon information of the sorcerer were found dead, human teeth marks upon their bones. Rakshar fled the kingdom, fleeing to its neighbor and then its and then its till none knew his name, but something had changed in him. He still had wealth, selling a few objects of his personal panoply saw to that, and he founded a trading house. He grew wealthier and wealthier but he was no longer satisfied with anything in life. He had seen the great bloodshed of civil war and he hungered for it again, he hungered for the spice of destruction. Rakshar began to frequent the worst places, disguising himself as a slave to face death in gladiatorial arenas, but the appeal faded after a time, too many victories with his magic and he grew bored. He turned to fiend worship not from any greed or faith, but from sheer idleness. He worshiped them not in exchange for their rewards but in love with the danger and the acts. He saw lovers sacrificed, their blood flowing together at last on the alters to his dark gods and for a time the sheer pain and sorrow on the faces of his victims sated him. Still he sought out the taboo, he ate the flesh of men, he murdered for fun, he sinned to sin.

Then he moved further. He ate the flesh of fiends. He called them to the world in their true form and he killed them there, eating them and drinking their blood. He drew their attention then, and their ire. They found his foes in his birth land, and they arranged him to be surprised by his former enemies. He was captured and his dark sanctuary revealed to his new homeland. Rakshar was executed.

Yet the fiends were given control of his fate, after all he was a being of willful evil to the extreme. Yet he was ready for whatever punishment they had for him. He raved in the court of hell about how he deserved to be tortured for eternity for his sins. He had seen his homeland torn, his fellow slaves degraded to new heights he engineered. He had killed virgins and eaten their hearts. He had done all things that were wicked. He deserved punishment.

It is said his judge smiled then as it gave him its verdict. "You are free to go with but one requirement: indulge your desires."

Then Rakshar awoke. His body was revived from the flesh of the immortal fiends he had eaten, just as they had regrown the flesh he cut away in mere minutes, he had regrown his head from the executioner's axe, his broken hands restored. But his head was changed, no longer that of a man, and his hands were backwards and twisted. Still Rakshar found those desires that were once sated burning in him again, wealth and flesh, and that same hunger for the taboo. He had died, or perhaps he had not, but now he never would.

Rakshar claimed what he wanted. On the field of battle or through illusion he would woo or take the object of his eyes and he would leave them with his unholy prodigy. He claimed kingdoms and he built them upon the backs of slaves only to watch them topple under the weight of their own decadence. Rakshar continued in this way for centuries, perhaps millennia, before the Forces of Good moved to restore the altered balance. A holy bow was made, a hallowed arrow blessed to slay him, and Rakshar was hunted. Rakshar was killed by that arrow, and to this day his bloodline fears the arrow and crossbow's bolt. This time Rakshar died in truth, and as his soul reached Hell he was condemned to be forever imprisoned in Hell never to see or hear the outside world again.

Still his bloodline lives. The mortal demons, the rakshasa. They bear their forebear's lusts, his taboo desires, and they inflict them on humanity forever more. For the fiends sought a way to inflict suffering on humanity, and saw in humanity's own evil heights they could never rival. Thus they turned the evillest of us into a demon unlike any other.

-The story of Rakshar the First Rakshasa.

There seems to be missing piece of info in the story: when and how Rakshar became Ravanna.

Zaydos
2016-08-27, 12:06 AM
There seems to be missing piece of info in the story: when and how Rakshar became Ravanna.

Two myths from two completely different cultures. Two origin stories, both possible but neither certain. It's all chant and it's up to the DM to decide the dark of it.

Of course it's possible that both are true and both are wrong. Rakshar used an arcane equivalent of True Mind Seed to take over King Ravanna's life in the 8th year of his reign. When Rakshar-Ravanna neared his potential deification the Lord of the Nine realizing a potential threat revealed this to Rakshar's former enemies, or more accurately the children of the country who had grown to adulthood during the civil war and been hardened by its fires and the monstrous incursions which followed. These were the 6 heroes. They arrived to stop Rakshar but they half-failed. However one of Rakshar-Ravanna's advisors had altered the ritual notes in the service of Dispater and Asmodeus, and Rakshar-Ravanna merely became the first, immortal rakshasa maharajah/quasi-deity, his court becoming various types of rakshasa. Eventually a mortal agent was empowered by the Celestials to kill Rakshar-Ravanna but he could not truly die, too much god was in him, and he was sealed within one of the layers of Carceri.

khadgar567
2016-08-27, 02:20 AM
I like it. But then, myth-writing was always a hobby of mine.

When men still lived in the forests, the first and greatest among them was Ravanna. There are seven hundred and seventy seven songs about his deeds and his graces. This is not the song of how he chained the first wolf, that ate his children. This is not the song of why the moon fell in love with him, or why he knows the secret name of fire. This is not the song of how he broke the glaciers and made a spear from the bones of the ice giants.

This is the song of his sin.

In those days, the great serpent impregnated the sky, and she grew pregnant with dark clouds. The sun could no longer see the hearts of men and in the shadows that fell over them, they grew sinful and weak and lazy.

And Ravanna said to them: "How can you be like this? Am I not Ravanna, the king and greatest of kings, and you my people? Is it not for you to toil in the fields and make wonders in the workshops and build my monuments and sing my songs? This is the land of seven streams, the greatest that was and is and will be."

And they replied: "O King, how can we make wonders in the workshops, if the people of the hills under the morning sun always make greater? They say in their workshops, they have made a tiger of glass, twenty spans high and one and filled it with fire, so that its roar tears flesh from bone. And they have made golden birds, that fly and all manners of wonder besides."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "These are mere trinkets besides what we have made. I will go out and show you this."

And he went to the hills that lie under the morning sun, where he met the king of the little people that live under the hills.
"Little King", he said. "They say you have made wonders that are greater than anything my people have made. I call you a liar, for all your work is empty, mere baubles that serve no function save to impress those of weak minds."

The little king smiled, for this was and is how the little people show fury. And he wove a spell of thirty three parts and four and awoke the tiger of glass that slept beneath his throne and the hills shook with its steps and when it roared, all the trees east of the morning sun burned to ashes.

Ravanna knew the secret names of fire and so, he looked at the tiger and said: "Fire, shatter the glass". And the fire in the tiger's glass belly shattered its body and the shards of glowing glass that exploded to all sides dug seventy six deep valleys in the Eastern hills that are still there to this day. The seventy seventh shard and flown out and pierced the little king's heart.

Then, Ravanna turned to the little people and said: "Behold, I have slain your king and his bloodline is no more. Now you will all come with me to my city and work in my workshops and build wonders for my people to see." And he enslaved all the little people of the hills.

Again he spoke to his people. "Do you see how I have enslaved them and they build me wonders? Do you see how we are still the greatest land that was and is and will ever be? Now build my monuments again and sing my songs as you used to."

And they replied: "O King, how can we build you monuments when the people who live under the mountains under the noonday sun always make greater? They say they have carved all the mountains of their home into statues of their ancestors that reach from the bones of the Earth to the vaults of the sky, and the throne of their king has forty rubies and emeralds and diamonds, each bright enough to blind a man, and all manners of other monuments besides."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "There is no glory in these monuments, for none of the people they show are as great as me. I will go out and show you this."
And he went to the mountains that lie under the noonday sun. where he met the king of the stout people that live under the mountains.
"Little King", he said. "They say you have made monuments that are greater than anything my people have made. I call you a liar, for about me, they sing seven hundred and seventy seven songs and the names of your ancestors, no one will remember in a generation."

The stout people were much less subtle than the little people and he showed his fury not by smiling and weaving spells, but by drawing his axe and rushing at Ravanna. But Ravanna had his spear made from the bones of ice giants and he caught the axe and from the cold of the ice bones, the axe shattered and the shards pierced the stout king's eyes, and heart, and tongue. And then he called the glaciers down from the north to the south and the mountains of hte noonday sun and before their might, all the statues that were as tall as mountains were shattered to dust.

Then, Ravanna turned to the stout people and said: "Behold, I have slain your king and his bloodline is no more. Now you will all come with me to my city and work in my quarries and build monuments for my people to see." And he enslaved all the stout people of the mountains.

Again he spoke to his people. "Do you see how I have enslaved them and they build my monuments? Do you see how we are still the greatest land that was and is and will ever be? Now sing songs of my glory as you used to."

And they replied: "O King, how can we sing songs of your glory, if the people of the forests under the evening sun always sing greater? They say their queen can sing the stars to shine and the tide to turn and the storms to quiet to a breeze and that all who hear her weep and fall in love and dash themselves on the cliffs of the oceans for they can never have her."

Ravanna thought about this for three days and said: "There is no glory in these songs, for they sing of old things that have lost their fire since the first days, of storms that came and went and forests that are now fields and stars that shine no more. But our songs are of men, who are young and still have a fire in their hearts greater than the fires of creation. I will go out and show you this."

And he went to the forests that lie under the evening sun to seek their queen. But the tall people of the forests are old and wise and their queen did not confront Ravanna as the others had. She smiled and stepped from shadow to shadow and for seven days and seven nights, Ravanna hunted her and never saw her and only heard her song, as she sang of what no longer exists. And on the seventh day, he was exhausted and paused and finally he listened, and shed a single tear, for the beauty of things that had passed.

And the queen stepped before him and smiled and as she had more grace and beauty than any woman and he desired her greatly. And she said: "O Ravanna. No other has heard my song for seven days without despairing. Truly, you are a great King. Will you not bow your knee to me and lie with me in my bed and be my consort?"

At these words, Ravanna stood straight and proud and shook his mane of black hair free and, looking her in the eye, he sang his own song. He sang of minds of steel and hearts of fire and the will to conquer the earth and the pride of men and not of things that once were, but of things that will be. For Ravanna would never bend his knee.

And as she heard this song, the queen fell in love with Ravanna too, and they embraced under the stars of that land and made love on the hillsides for three nights.

But then, when they were lying together on the grass, the queen smiled and said: " Look at your people. They forge no wonders, for you have enslaved the little people of the hills to do it for them. And they build no monuments, for you have enslaved the stout people of the mountains, to do it for them. And they sing no songs, for you have enslaved my tall people of the forests, to do it for them. Truly, they have become small of body, and twisted of mind and there is no fire in their heart anymore. There is one that is always greater than you, and that is time. All Empires fall in time, and the time of yours will soon come, when your wonders are rust, and your monuments dust and your songs forgotten."

At this, a mighty rage grew in the king's heart. "I AM RAVANNA, HE SAID, GREATEST OF MEN! TIME WILL NOT TAKE MY EMPIRE, FOR IT IS ONLY FOR ME TO TAKE!"
And he took his spear and he clad himself in orange flame as his armor and the head of a great best as his helmet. And he walked out among his people and said: "I see now that there is none of you that still knows of fire and glory! You are weaklings, grown proud and fat on the labour of slaves, yet doing nothing of worth yourself." And he broke the marvels of the workshops and shattered the monuments and slew all that knew the songs. Then he scattered the slaves to the four winds and said: "Remember me, for I am Ravanna and my glory will never be lost to time."

Glowering over the ruinshe looked upon the queen and said:
"I am Ravanna, and I am the greatest of men. I said that the land of seven streams was the greatest that was, and is and ever will be and so I will make it. I will topple all empires to come, to show that none may rise higher than me."

And so he left the land of the seven streams and went out, to bring low all the glories yet to come.

That turned out longer than I thought it would.
you know I prefer zaydos's version better to create story arc sense enough material to backbone any type of adventure you want to create your look weak on story part

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-27, 03:48 AM
you know I prefer zaydos's version better to create story arc sense enough material to backbone any type of adventure you want to create your look weak on story part

I thought it was enjoyable. Mostly little things, like Ravanna being loved by the Moon: traditionally associated with spirits, illusions, reincarnation, and nocturnal predators. And the original sin of Rakshasa being set into motion by (what else?) a giant snake.

khadgar567
2016-08-27, 04:32 AM
I thought it was enjoyable. Mostly little things, like Ravanna being loved by the Moon: traditionally associated with spirits, illusions, reincarnation, and nocturnal predators. And the original sin of Rakshasa being set into motion by (what else?) a giant snake.

I mean its good but zaydos's one has more meat if i gonna use it in camping i want diffrent stories to tell my player so they connect the dots themselfs instead of here is the creation myth of rakshaka pluss you can put chronomancy twist on zaydos's story were big bad tryies to travel in time so he can make ravanah god or replace him as god

St.Just
2016-08-28, 09:32 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't include them all? Mythology should be self-contradictory and multiple choice, at least IMO.

Zaydos
2016-08-28, 09:40 PM
Got to say I agree. Not only is it realistic (even within a single body of legends they're usually mutually self-contradictory and with multiple explanations for things), but it gives a DM more potential things to build off of and work with. That and it keeps players guessing.

I may have really loved Planescape (and the Blood War box set which ironically was headed by the same guy who did my {2nd?} least favorite D&D sourcebook of all time).

Eldan
2016-08-31, 02:04 PM
Honestly, that was really just for the fun of writing some mythology, no other real reason.

So... is anyone working on anything? I don't want to post another round of mildly uninspired stuff if no one else does anything. Or give me some workeable ideas beyond the generic, at least.

VoodooPaladin
2016-08-31, 03:28 PM
Honestly, that was really just for the fun of writing some mythology, no other real reason.

So... is anyone working on anything? I don't want to post another round of mildly uninspired stuff if no one else does anything. Or give me some workeable ideas beyond the generic, at least.

Here's the stuff that I've got sitting around.

Palatial Guards (Illusion/Enchantment): Spell that creates illusory guards and empowers real ones.
Spiritual Domain (Illusion/Enchantment): Spell that controls spirits to modify and maintain an area; can contain illusions.
Cat's Eye (Illusion/Enchantment): Spell that ensorcels a piece of currency; creature who accepts it becomes a Cat's Eye.
>Cat's Eye (Affliction): No longer free, these silently proud spirit-men serve under pain of crippling depression.
Vastu Rakshastra (Native Outsider; Genius Loci): Reincarnate spirit that ruthlessly protects an area it owned in a previous life.
Taragama (Native Outsiders): Reincarnate spirits that are bound to hard labor and base perversions; they serve Rakshasa eagerly.

I've got some near-complete notes on the Taragama, but I haven't been able to get much farther due to personal issues.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-31, 04:07 PM
I have been mulling over a rakshasa prestige class based upon the "wealthy slave owner" bit, focused on Domination spells and laying curses, especially upon valuable objects.

Eldan
2016-08-31, 05:02 PM
Ooh, I like the spiritual domain idea. Something like what Unhallow does for undead, but for Unseen Servants.

khadgar567
2016-09-01, 12:17 AM
I have been mulling over a rakshasa prestige class based upon the "wealthy slave owner" bit, focused on Domination spells and laying curses, especially upon valuable objects.
Like the idea of slave owning prc

Eldan
2016-09-02, 07:10 AM
Faithful Retinue
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Bard 2, Wiz/Sor 3
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Effect: 3 permanent servants
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates 3 unseen servants, as the spell, except these servants stay around permanently. If any of the servants are destroyed, they will reform after 24 hours at the caster's location. The servants are bound to the caster and can not move more than 240 ft. from the caster.
When not commanded to perform any specific task, these servants will not repeat the last task, but will instead clean all dirt, fix the caster's clothing or hair, pick up any dropped small items and perform other small maintenance tasks.

Cost: 50 XP

khadgar567
2016-09-02, 09:27 AM
Faithful Retinue
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Bard 2, Wiz/Sor 3
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Effect: 3 permanent servants
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates 3 faithful servants, as the spell, except these servants stay around permanently. If any of the servants are destroyed, they will reform after 24 hours at the caster's location. The servants are bound to the caster and can not move more than 240 ft. from the caster.
When not commanded to perform any specific task, these servants will not repeat the last task, but will instead clean all dirt, fix the caster's clothing or hair, pick up any dropped small items and perform other small maintenance tasks.

Cost: 50 XP
good spell is there any chance we can metamagic this beauty for additional servants( or greater version with more servants)

St.Just
2016-09-05, 11:18 PM
Rakshasa's use sorcerer casting, so a greater version as well seems like a waste of a spell known slot.

Maybe allow repeat castings for the same area with increasing xp costs?

All the ideas mentioned sound pretty awesome. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute recently, just finished moving and classes start tomorrow.

Zaydos
2016-09-06, 12:00 AM
Servant of the Striped Lords [Vile]
You have sworn your soul to a rakshasa maharajah in exchange for power.
Benefit: Once per day when acting for one's own direct benefit, or in the service of your patron, and not for the sake of another you may call upon the powers granted to you by your dark patron. For 1 minute you gain a +1 profane bonus to all attack rolls, (caster) level checks, saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks.
Special: Once a character takes this feat, they may not take it again; they may not be the disciple of more than one rakshasa. Nor may they take the Disciple of Darkness, Servant of the Ancient Ones, or Thrall to Demon feats; fiendish princes are greedy in their servants' loyalty.

Tyrant Tiger's Fury [Vile]
Your fiendish patronage has bestowed upon you a portion of their resistance when you are in the throes of rage or fury.
Prerequisites: Servant of the Striped Lords, ability to rage or frenzy.
Benefit: When you use your rage or frenzy ability you gain a variety of advantages. You gain spell Resistance 15 + character level, however this spell resistance only applies against spells with a level no greater than 1/3rd your character level. In addition you gain DR 1/3 character levels overcome by Good and Piercing damage, if you already have insurmountable DR from a non-magical source you add its value to this DR. Finally your body undergoes a series of minor transformations. Your visage becomes monstrous in the extreme, tiger-like features forming on your face, and fur growing across your body, even as your eyes turn red as blood. This monstrous visage grants you a +2 bonus to intimidate checks, but can also be used to identify your fiendish allegiance. If your face didn't your hands would as they reverse, twisting to be backwards like the Tyrant Tiger you serve, even as they extend into claws which work as primary or secondary natural weapons dealing 1d4 damage if medium sized.

Psalm of the Tiger's Treason [Bardic Music, Vile]
Your poetic song of praise to your fiendish master inspires in your foes the same greed and treachery which birthed the Tyrant Tigers.
Prerequisites: Servant of the Striped Lords, Bardic Music, Perform 6 ranks.
Benefit: You gain the ability to perform a Psalm of the Tiger's Greed. This functions like a bardic music performance, expending a use of that ability and requiring a standard action to begin (you may continue performing it as a swift action each round). Creatures which can hear you within 60 ft, except those you choose to exempt, must make a Will save (DC 6 + 1/2 character level + Cha modifier) or become possessed with the idea that their nearest ally is plotting to betray and destroy them compelling the afflicted to attack that ally. Creatures will always attack with the most effective means possible, and unless they have a sacred vow, paladin's code, or other ability which would restrain them from lethal force as lethally as possible. You may continue to perform this song for up to 1 round per character level and creatures affected by it suffer a -2 penalty to saves against it per success they have made, once a creature fails their save this penalty is reset. If a creature was struck by an ally within the last round they suffer an additional -4 penalty to their save.

Rakshasa Born [Heritage]
You have the blood of rakshasa flowing through your veins, the tyrant tigers, and it manifests in the form of a portion of their resistance to offensive magic.
Prerequisites: Fiendish Heritage.
Benefit: You gain spell resistance equal to your character level plus 2 plus twice the number of feats with Fiendish Heritage as a prerequisite that you possess.

Just something quick and slapped together.

Also while it's on my mind where is Faithful Servant or is it supposed to be Unseen Servant?

St.Just
2016-09-06, 01:01 AM
Love the feats! I've always been a fan the whole Disciple to Darkness line.

For Tyrant Tiger's rage, may I ask why the weird conditional nature of the SR? It seems extra finicky for not much gain over just 10+character level or similar.

For Rakshasa Born, is it intentional that it counts itself for calculating the SR? I forget the standard layout for the line, but with just it you end up with SR equal to level+4

Zaydos
2016-09-06, 01:10 AM
Love the feats! I've always been a fan the whole Disciple to Darkness line.

For Tyrant Tiger's rage, may I ask why the weird conditional nature of the SR? It seems extra finicky for not much gain over just 10+character level or similar.

Because 10 + Character level SR and other benefits is too much for a single feat, and more importantly it's a call back to how rakshasa used to have immunity to spells under 8th level (it's not a coincidence that it's pretty much useless against 8th level spells). Might make it something like SR 15 + Character level against spells with a level of less than 1/3rd your character level making it never reach 7th level spells but still only be against weak spells. That's be simpler yes... might could even drop the level prereq if I did that...

For Rakshasa Born, is it intentional that it counts itself for calculating the SR? I forget the standard layout for the line, but with just it you end up with SR equal to level+4

It's intentional, the other Heritage feats (Fey Skin, Fiendish Resistance, etc) and Aberrant feats all count themselves, and Fey Skin is 1 + the number of feats.

Eldan
2016-09-06, 05:27 AM
Very nice. I'll have to go dig up in other heritage feats to see if I can find some more. For now, I'll add these to the index. I should probably mention there's an index in the first post.

In fact, how about a prestige class like they exist for fiends or dragons, where a sorcerer gradually transmutes into a Rakshasa?

I'm also having a bit of a problem. I wanted to work on the illusion-themed Rakshasa and I'm hitting a bit of a wall. I want it to do something unique, not just slap a few more sorcerer levels and social and stealth skills on a Rakshasa and call it a day. It needs a special ability or two, but I can't think of any. Any illusion-themed ideas?

Zaydos
2016-09-06, 01:16 PM
Well mythically their power of illusion extended to physically changing size, so D&D illusion is a bit shy of it but for some abilities...

Chains of Disbelief: Specialist illusionist variant found on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/specialistWizardVariants.htm).

Curse of the Inner World (Su): 1/day when a successfully strikes a creature with their claw attack they may inflict a horrible curse upon them as a free action. A creature cursed thus must make a Will save or have their senses washed over by a series of phantasms and hallucinations for [duration]. The creature becomes in effect unable to see or hear as its sensory information is overridden by the phantasms, and even scent and blindsight stop functioning, the only sense which remains to the target is touch. They are still able to perceive physical contact, whether they are standing or on their back, temperature, and pain. This is a mind-affecting effect. Would be an Illusion (Phantasm) except Su abilities lack school/subschool.

Powerful Shadows: A [ILLUSION RAKSHASA]'s shadow spells are more real than those of common mages. Whenever they cast an illusion spell with the Shadow descriptor which is only partially real it is 20% more real (to a maximum of 95%).

Illusions of Temptation: A [ILLUSION RAKSHASA] is fond of creating illusory wealth and luxuries. Any creature that partakes of the illusory food and drink of a [ILLUSION RAKSHASA] or which attempts to take one of the illusory valuables must make a Will save or suffer a curse for their greed. The creature suffers a negative level, this negative level is not the result of negative energy and effects which prevent energy drain do not prevent it, this negative level does not become permanent level loss after 24 hours, nor does it fade, a [i]Remove Curse or Break Enchantment spell with a caster level of [#] or higher is required, or if the [ILLUSION RAKSHASA] is dead [lower #] or higher. In addition a curse creature suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls against the [ILLUSION RAKSHASA], as well as saving throws and AC against the [ILLUSION RAKSHASA], and automatically fails checks to overcome the [ILLUSION RAKSHASA]'s spell resistance.

Eldan
2016-09-06, 01:50 PM
Well, if I ever make a multi-headed Rakshasa (Maha-)Raja, they'll get the Wu Jen spell Giant Size.

Chains of Disbelief would be nice for creating division in a group, I'll put that in. I'm not sure that shadow magic is entirely their thing, though. For curse of the inner world, one might actually just use the solipsism spell.

What I think I'd include in Illusions of Temptation is that they get a penalty to will saves to resist the Rakshasa's illusions and mind control. Eat their food, gradually become their servant. Maybe widen it out to an illusionary palace, and sleeping in it also lowers those will saves.

The Tygre
2016-09-07, 07:16 PM
YO

YO YO YO

That's my jam!

Alright, uh, thoughts, uh...

What about the different heads of rakshasa? Tigers are far and away the most common, but there's also mention of rakshasa with boar head, ape heads, and crocodile heads. There's supposed to be as many rakshasa head variations as there are heads on Ravana.

Also; different kinds of rakshasa? There are the variant rakshasa from all across third edition of course, but the original text of the Ramayana describes the rakshasas as having all kinds of different forms. There's also rakshasi to think about; most rakshasa are depicted as male, but there are a few famous female rakshasa.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-08, 02:22 AM
Ok so, we've done a lot of fluffing of the Rakshasa... time to talk feel and mechanics (and by that I mean, I am going to talk about feel, and make some mechanics, but not really stop anyone from making more fluff.)

My first experience with the Tiger-heads was in Balder's Gate II, in the Druids' Grove areas. The one fight I remember with them was in a little house, there were three of them, disguised as something. When they sprung the combat on me, my little kid self was totally unprepared. They spelled me, I couldn't spell them, they tore apart my fighters, my mages were held or entangled, it was a mess. My basic feel from the Rakshasae is this: They're like your characters, but better, because screw the PC. Those 3 in the house obliterated my 6 party members, despite casting no spells of higher level, because they could all do spells, had SR, and could fight as well or better than my fighters (or at least hit more often and still hurt... I think Minsc still blew one or two to bits when he got those hella crits).

Now that that is out of the way, allow me to go to the mechanics portion of tonight's presentation:

*You find a sticky note, it says "Put a thing here later when not tired and out of motivation"*

Eldan
2016-09-08, 05:17 AM
Animal head Templates

Though I am personally of the opinion that the standard Rakshasa can easily be used to represent a variety of Rakshasa, not just the tiger-headed ones, some may wish to represent more variety in monster heads. These templates would do so nicely.

These are inherited templates that can be added to any Rakshasa and modify their stats.

Crocodile:

Increase the Rakshasa's bite damage by one step
The Rakshasa gains Improved Grab with its bite
The Rakshasa gains the amphibious subtype

CR: +1

Boar:

The Rakshasa loses its bite attack
The Rakshasa gains a gore attack dealing the same amount of damage as its normal bite damage. This damage is piercing and doubled on a charge

CR: +0

More to come if I think of any.

Eldan
2016-09-08, 06:24 AM
vRakshasa, Raja of the Mirage

The Raja of the Mirage are one of the types of Rakshasa Raja, the nobility of the earthbound fiends. Though not gifted with as much raw power, magical or physical, as some of the Rajas, they are nevertheless uniquely dangerous. Even more so than in most Rakshasa, their powers of Maya, shapeshifting, enchantment and illusion, are uniquely developed.

The Raja of the Mirage has the unique ability to create an illusory demesne, an area of power which looks like a pleasant garden surrounding a mansion, but is nothing but a mirage. It will use this to lure unsuspecting victims, then slowly enthrall them. Over time, they will amass vast amounts of weak servants and live as kings surrounded by unquestioning slaves that are often referred to as Lotus Eaters. These kingdoms never last long, however. As they get overthrown by revolts, brave heroes or the intervention of planar powers, the Raja of the Mirage will flee to new lands, find a deserted area and start its demesne anew.

More than most other Rakshasa, the Raja of the Mirage is interested in mental vices over physical. They have little interested in fancy foods or exotic slaves, prefering mind-altering drugs and extraordinary art.

Rakshasa, Raja of the Mirage
Medium Outsider (Native)
HD 17d8+51 (127 HP)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares), Fly 50 ft. (10 squares, average)
Init: +6
AC 32; touch 16; flat-footed 26
(+6 dex, +16 natural)
BAB +17; Grp +19
Attack Claw +19 melee (1d4+2)
Full-Attack 2 claws +19 melee (1d4+2) and bite +14 melee (1d6+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spells
Special Qualities Mirage Demesne, Chains of Disbelief, Two-headed, Change Shape, Darkvision 60 ft., Spell Resistance 35, Damage Reduction 15/good and piercing
Saves Fort +13 Ref +16 Will +12
Abilities Str 15, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 21, Wis 15, Cha 24
Skills Bluff +27, Concentration +23, Diplomacy +27, Disguise +27, Forgery +27, Knowledge (Nobility) +22, Knowledge (local) +22 Intimidate +27, Listen +22, Move Silently +26, Sense Motive +22, Spellcraft +25, Spot +22
Feats: Silent Spell, Still spell, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Focus (Illusion)
Environment Any
Organization Single or Kingdom (1 plus 2-8 other Rakshasa of any kind (often standard Rakshasa or Naztharune) and 100-200 humanoid slaves)
Challenge Rating 15
Treasure Standard gold; Triple Art; Standard Magical Items
Alignment Always Lawful Evil
Favored Class: Sorcerer
Level Adjustment +5

Spells:
Rajas of the Mirage cast spells as a 12th level sorcerer

Typical Spells Known:
0 - Detect magic, Read Magic, Daze, Dancing Lights, Light, Ghost SOund, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation
1 - Unseen Servant, Sleep, Silent Image, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist
2 - Detect Thoughts, Entice Gift, Mirror Image, Misdirection, Whispering Wind
3 - Major Image, Suggestion, Tongues, Fly
4 - Illusory Wall, Phantasmal Killer, Greater Invisibility
5 - Dominate Person, Mind Fog
6 - Mislead

Chains of Disbelief (Ex)
Even if a viewer disbelieves an illusion created by a Raja of the Mirage and communicates the details of the illusion to other creatures, those other creatures do not receive the normal +4 bonus on their saying throws to disbelieve the illusion. Furthermore, even when presented with incontrovertible proof that the illusion isn't real, creatures must still succeed on a Will saving throw to see objects or creatures that the illusion obscures, although they get a +10 bonus on the saving throw.

Mirage Demesne (su)
The Raja of Mirages can choose a location to be its demesne. The location can not be claimed by another powerful magical creature, such as a god's domain, a nymph's tree or another Raja's demesne.
Once chosen, the Raja subtly alters the terrain's shape over the next 24 hours, creating a pleasant oasis or garden and a magnificient palace. The structures are purely illusory, as per the Mirage Arcana spell, but unlike the spell, cover an area five hundred feet in diameter and up to sixty feet high.
Creatures who enter this area must succeed on a will save to disbelief (DC 25) or suffer a variety of deleterious effects. Creatures can make a new save every 24 hours or once they have strong proof that what they see is not real. This is a mind-affecting effect. The creatures must make another will save (DC 25) whenever they attempt to leave the area, or stay there.

Creatures that spend a long time in the area become drowsy and careless. For every day they spend in the demesne and for every meal they eat there, they suffer a cumulative -1 penalty to initiative and attack rolls and on all saves against spells cast by the Rakshasa, as well as all charms and glamours cast by other creatures, to a maximum of -10. Once their penalty is -2 or greater, they become fatigued while they stay in the area. If their penalty is -4 or greater, they become subject to a Calm Emotions effect while they stay in the area. If their penalty is -6 or greater, they become charmed by the Raja and regard him as their friend, no matter their previous relations.

Two-headed (ex)
A Raja of the Mirage has two heads, which offers them the ability to act quicker than normal creatures. If armed with weapons, the second head may take control of one arm, offering the ability to fight with a second weapon at full base attack with no penalty. Instead, the second head may take any purely mental standard action, such as activating a command word item, cast a silent and stilled spell or maintain concentration on an existing spell.

Note: I intend to make other Raja variants. FOr this one, I'm aware, the two-headed variant doesn't add that much, but I'll make a fighter variant, too.

Eldan
2016-09-09, 01:27 PM
You know what's really frustrating? NO comments on your homebrew.

Zaydos
2016-09-09, 02:27 PM
I know that feeling, especially for request threads. It's actually what inevitably kills my desire to do them for a while.

So let's go over it, first a question: Do Raja of the Mirage still have SR or DR? It's odd to lose them.

Overall stats wise it's 1 CR lower than a Horned Devil and gets:

~45 less hp
Inability to fly
1 worse initiative
5 worse AC
+6 worse to hit
6th level spells instead of fear aura, stunning, etc.
Assuming it has Rakshasa DR and SR its got 1 worse SR and arguably better DR
3 worse Fort and 4 worse Will.

They can quicken 4th level spells, but with their frailty I'd suggest dropping their CR to 14 (spells known could up or lower this) and that's assuming they have a rakshasa's DR 15/good and piercing and SR 27. If they don't why not?

VoodooPaladin
2016-09-09, 05:17 PM
You know what's really frustrating? NO comments on your homebrew.

I'm sorry. :smallfrown: I read far, far more than I write, and I'm never quite sure what to say about a work. Between that, and the more-oft-than-not wasted effort I spend trying to write my own material (some of which are also submissions to this project), I tend not to have much to respond with. Rest assured, I check this page every day, and I read every word on it.

Your Rakshasa Miraja (which is what I will call it, you can't make me stop) is... solid enough, to my inexperienced eyes. I don't know my way around high-level stuff, but it's in the same vein as succubi and aboleth; it isn't a bruiser because it has minions for that. I really like the two-headed thing, it feels more (to me) like fluff than a power-up, but it's good fluff and it does help with the illusionist shtick.

It's an effective puzzle monster: the psychic equivalent of a locked chamber with a descending ceiling. I'm not sure exactly how hard it should be to break loose from, because that depends on how hard it actually is to first determine you're being drugged.

Eldan
2016-09-09, 05:51 PM
I know that feeling, especially for request threads. It's actually what inevitably kills my desire to do them for a while.

So let's go over it, first a question: Do Raja of the Mirage still have SR or DR? It's odd to lose them.

Overall stats wise it's 1 CR lower than a Horned Devil and gets:

~45 less hp
Inability to fly
1 worse initiative
5 worse AC
+6 worse to hit
6th level spells instead of fear aura, stunning, etc.
Assuming it has Rakshasa DR and SR its got 1 worse SR and arguably better DR
3 worse Fort and 4 worse Will.

They can quicken 4th level spells, but with their frailty I'd suggest dropping their CR to 14 (spells known could up or lower this) and that's assuming they have a rakshasa's DR 15/good and piercing and SR 27. If they don't why not?

They should indeed have DR and SR, yes. Otherwise, I took the base stats from the Necromancer Rakshasa in the MM3. That said, I'd say sixth level spells make up for a lot. Maybe I should change a few ofthem out for defensive spells, though. And give it a fly speed.

Edit: okay, DR, SR, bit more armor, fly speed.

Eldan
2016-09-09, 05:56 PM
It's an effective puzzle monster: the psychic equivalent of a locked chamber with a descending ceiling. I'm not sure exactly how hard it should be to break loose from, because that depends on how hard it actually is to first determine you're being drugged.

My players expect shapeshifters everywhere, but that's just me. If they find a friendly mansion in the middle of the forest or desert, their first instinct will be to burn it down, before I remind them they aren't all evil and nice people in fact exist in the world.

Zale
2016-09-11, 03:31 AM
So if this goes like the Dragonomomnomicon, then we'd end up with some Prestige Classes for both Rakshasha(s?) and for people aspiring to be like, serving or killing Rakshasa.

Interesting to think about. I feel like this would progress a bit if we outlined some things that might be good for a compilation? Not a strict list, per say, but maybe some ideas that we'd like to see. Just so that people who aren't sure where to begin can have a nice little mini-project to sink their teeth into?

Eldan
2016-09-11, 04:22 AM
We had a few basic ideas earlier:

-Rakshasa servant PrC: gain benefits from swearing yourself to a Rakshasa
-Rakshasa slavemaster PrC: Rakshasa with thrallherd-like abilities
-Rakshasa-assassin PrC: sponsored by hell to send Earthbound lawful evil souls to Baator where they belong.
-Rakshasa-transformation PrC: Something like the Acolyte of the Skin and the Dragon Disciple, slowly transform into a Rakshasa.
-Rakshasa-Paladin PrC: Older editions had the Rakshasa Knight, a kind of anti-paladin specific to worship of Ravanna

Just looking at the Draconomicon for ideas to be stolen:
Bloodscaled Fury: is a dragon barbarian. I think we covered that design space with the feral Rakshasa, but feel free.
Disciple of Ashardalon: dragons who want to turn fiendish.
Watcher of Chronepsis: a dragon cleric. See Rakshasa Knight?
Dragon Ascendant: surely a thing, with the Raja. Maybe call it Maharaja?
Elemental Master: better breath weapon. I'm working on a Rakshasa shapeshifting specialist already, but not as a PrC.
Hidecarved dragon: toughness specialist? Not very Rakshasa-like.
Sacred Warder: paladin. See Rakshasa Knight.
Unholy Ravager: another cleric.

Similarly for players: we have some servants for different base classes, a few slayers, a rider. Nothing too excited. THat said, a rakshasa-bard could be interesting. Rakshasa revel in their personal glory, so why not sponsor a personal bard to follow them around?

Eldan
2016-09-15, 06:11 AM
So, no one again? I get a feeling people don't actually care about this.

Eldan
2016-09-15, 10:46 AM
Rakshasa, Raja of Pride

Where most Rakshasa are subtle in their machinations, the Raja of Pride see this as below them. They see themselves superior to almost all lifeforms and want the world to know it, bathing in fear, admiration and their own ostentatious displays of glory. They will lead armies from the front and engage in flashy displays of their own prowess while dueling enemy champions, or commission the building of ever more glorious palaces and statues in their name. Even on the battlefield, they will rarely be without a retinue of hangers-on to admire them and they hate nothing more than to be humiliated in any way.

Rakshasa, Raja of Pride
Medium Outsider (Native)
HD 17d8+85 (161 HP)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares), Fly 50 ft. (10 squares, average)
Init: +9
AC 31; touch 15; flat-footed 26
(+5 dex, +16 natural)
BAB +17; Grp +21
Attack Scimitar +21 melee (1d6+5)
Full-Attack 2 Longswords +21/+21/+16/+16/+11/+11 melee (1d8+5, crit 18-20/x2) and 2 claws +19 melee (1d4+5)*
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spells, Maneuvers, Defiant Roar
Special Qualities Ostentatious Glory, Unbroken Pride, Mastery of all Things, Two-headed, Change Shape, Darkvision 60 ft., Spell Resistance 35, Damage Reduction 20/good and piercing
Saves Fort +20 Ref +21 Will +18
Abilities Str 18, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 21, Wis 15, Cha 22
Skills Balance +25, Bluff +26, Concentration +24, Diplomacy +26, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +25, Knowledge (Tactics and Warfare) +25, Intimidate +26, Jump +24, Listen +22, Perform (Dance) +26, Sense Motive +22, Spot +22, Tumble +24
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiweapon fighting, Power Attack, Improved Trip, Improved Critical (Longsword)
Environment Any
Organization Single or Kingdom (1 plus 2-8 other Rakshasa of any kind (often standard Rakshasa or Naztharune) and 100-200 humanoid slaves)
Challenge Rating 15
Treasure Double gold; Double gems, Triple Art; Standard Magical Items
Alignment Always Lawful Evil
Favored Class: Sorcerer or Warblade
Level Adjustment +5

*They have four arms

Defiant Roar (su):
Once per encounter as a standard action, the Raja of Pride can roar. Every hostile or neutral creature within 120 ft. of the Raja must make a will save DC 24 or be frightened. All allies within the same distance gain a +3 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls, and saves against fear. This is a mind-affecting fear effect with a DC based on charisma.

Ostentatious Glory (ex):
Once per encounter, a Raja of Pride can declare one of their spells or maneuvers to be one of ostentatious glory, performing the action in an especially flashy and impressive way. The spell or maneuver must be one that allows an enemy a save of some kind. IF multiple enemies are affected, the Raja of Pride must nominate one before saves are made. If the enemy fails his save, they are shaken in addition to all other effects the failed save would have, or cowering if they are already shaken.

Unbroken Pride (ex):
A Raja of Pride adds their charisma modifier as a bonus on all saving throws. Additionally, once per turn, as a move action, they can end one of the following undignified conditions affecting them: blinded, deafened, entangled, exhausted, fatigued, stunned.
Furthermore, if they are affected by any of the following conditions: cowering, dazed, fascinated, frightened, nauseated, panicked paralyzed, they can take a will save at the start of each of their turns, even if they could not take any actions. THe DC of this save is equal to the DC of the effect that first gave them the condition, or if the action allows no save, it is equal to 10+1/2 HD + constitution modifier or charisma modifier (whichever is higher) of the creature which caused the effect. On a successful save, the condition ends and they can act on this turn as normal.

Mastery in all things (ex):
A Raja of Pride casts spells as a ninth level sorcerer, and uses martial maneuvers as a ninth level warblade with maneuvers from the white raven and iron heart schools. Furthermore, they can use all skills as if they had 1/2 their HD (10, normally) skill ranks in that skill.

Typical maneuvers known:

Typical spells known:

Two-headed (ex)
A Raja of the Mirage has two heads, which offers them the ability to act quicker than normal creatures. If armed with weapons, the second head may take control of one arm, offering the ability to fight with a second weapon at full base attack with no penalty. Instead, the second head may take any purely mental standard action, such as activating a command word item, cast a silent and stilled spell or maintain concentration on an existing spell.

Change shape (su):
The Raja of Pride can take the shape of any small or medium humanoid.

Allnightmask
2016-09-15, 11:27 AM
I love this project so far I just haven't had the time I wanted since school started to review is all.
I can only look over the raja of pride right now but don't think we don't enjoy your work!

First thing is can we get a physical description. These guys are suppose to be fantastic and I didn't realize they had four arms till the end of the stat block.
Wow that damage reduction, really makes properly preparing important for this guy. I really dislike the Mountain Hammer maneuver for trivializing encounters like these but it strikes me as a solid leader type. Lending to that image is Defiant Roar, loving the area it covers but could we get a duration so I know whether I should pop it at the start or at a clutch moment?

Consider Ostentatious Glory cribbed by me, that's an awesome way of conveying an overwhelming sort of combat presence. Just a nice bit of flair. Next up is Unbroken Pride and oh boy and howdy that's a cool setup for a tanky sort of beast as he casually continues fighting no matter how you attempt to slow or cripple him. It really is selling to me the flavor of some over the top warlord and the organization heading for kingdom gave me a solid laugh and that's always welcome. The two-headed and change shape are like the other one you posted, so rather enjoyable and adds a bit more mechanical oomph.

Lastly we come to Mastery in all things. Love the name and the crunch. I find the omnicompetence a wonderful trait meaning there is a chance for him to oppose even the strangest skill contest. Meanwhile, the warblade progression allows all sorts of goodies and I find myself curious and what their normal spread and school focus looks like. Now I find myself at the sorcerer casting and I can't think of something off hand that would best serve em.

It's scary sounding encounter and I rather think it could be awesome to run encounter in hollow shell of a dune buried city against this and their kingdom of slaves and retainers. Nice job.

Eldan
2016-09-15, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the fluff got a bit cut short there. Not sure what else to write about it really, though. Tall, muscular humanoid, four arms, reversed hands, bestial features, two animal heads.

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 03:51 PM
I tried to make a rakshasa-worshiper/(anti)Paladin of Materialism PrC but I hit a mental dead end and became convinced I didn't know how to write PrCs anymore.

Eldan
2016-09-16, 03:09 AM
Throw your ideas at me? I was thinking of making one more Raja, a shapeshifter and then making some PrCs myself.

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 03:17 AM
Well the basic idea was that rakshasa are creatures related to maya and that's a whole host of things that get oversimplified as illusion, but I was thinking about a PrC for those who have glimpsed the fundamental truth of the world, those basic concepts that could build the road to enlightenment, and chosen to ignore them and indulge in hedonism and materialism. Was planning to give them their own 4 to 6 level casting, maybe more if I made them a 15 level PrC instead of 10, DR good and piercing, some shape shifting, and illusion abilities, some ability that gives them buffs for maintaining a lifestyle of pure hedonism and debauchery (mechanistically it'd be pay X gold on partying and living well to receive month long buffs or some such I kind of got stuck). Possibly some abilities that encourage actively leading other people, especially holy ascetics down paths of debauched hedonism, or at least give fluff reasons. It was not a well formed idea.

I decided to make 7 PrCs in 7 days (one more day before I'm done) and see if that oiled some of the mental muscles and go and try them again.

khadgar567
2016-09-16, 03:52 AM
Well the basic idea was that rakshasa are creatures related to maya and that's a whole host of things that get oversimplified as illusion, but I was thinking about a PrC for those who have glimpsed the fundamental truth of the world, those basic concepts that could build the road to enlightenment, and chosen to ignore them and indulge in hedonism and materialism. Was planning to give them their own 4 to 6 level casting, maybe more if I made them a 15 level PrC instead of 10, DR good and piercing, some shape shifting, and illusion abilities, some ability that gives them buffs for maintaining a lifestyle of pure hedonism and debauchery (mechanistically it'd be pay X gold on partying and living well to receive month long buffs or some such I kind of got stuck). Possibly some abilities that encourage actively leading other people, especially holy ascetics down paths of debauched hedonism, or at least give fluff reasons. It was not a well formed idea.

I decided to make 7 PrCs in 7 days (one more day before I'm done) and see if that oiled some of the mental muscles and go and try them again.
small question and maybe idea since raksaka are powerful enough to corrupt people to hedonistic life style why not divine prc getting in to sex for gods situation( as priestess use sex as worship to rakshas)

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 03:56 AM
small question and maybe idea since raksaka are powerful enough to corrupt people to hedonistic life style why now divine prc getting in to sex for gods situation( as priestess use sex as worship to rakshas)

1) Because this forum is PG rated and therefore I avoid making things that would fit into the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

2) Because it'd be more interesting to focus on hedonism as a whole than narrowing it to sex. There's so much more to hedonism than indulging in lust. Gluttony. Greed. Envy. Pride. Sloth. You get most of the Deadly Sins and on a canned gish Wrath is a freebie completely unrelated to other elements of the class.

Eldan
2016-09-16, 04:01 AM

You know what would be interesting there? An alternative Vow of Poverty-style feat. Spend, say, 50% of your WBL on debauchery, gain some inborn Rakshasa-like abilities.

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 04:09 AM
You know what would be interesting there? An alternative Vow of Poverty-style feat. Spend, say, 50% of your WBL on debauchery, gain some inborn Rakshasa-like abilities.

Yeah, 50% would be good too, it leaves you with some ability to pick up other stuff. Though you don't want to say WBL, but of wealth you possess when you take this feat and wealth gained in the future (because games rarely run exactly at WBL)... unless like VoP it grants bonus feats with level in which case you could probably get away with future wealth, possibly with a preset amount you have to pay when you take it based upon level that would be less than 50% due to missing out on bonus feats.

Eldan
2016-09-16, 04:45 AM
Hm.
Saying you have to spend at least X before every time you level up to gain the next higher benefit could work too, where X is 50% WBL. That would mean that in games with less money, you'd also get fewer benefits.

BEnefits: some spell-like abilities that help in a luxurious lifestyle. Some immunities. Charisma bonus. Shapechanging like a Rakshasa. Rakshasa DR. Uuuuhh....

khadgar567
2016-09-16, 04:49 AM
Hm.
Saying you have to spend at least X before every time you level up to gain the next higher benefit could work too, where X is 50% WBL. That would mean that in games with less money, you'd also get fewer benefits.

BEnefits: some spell-like abilities that help in a luxurious lifestyle. Some immunities. Charisma bonus. Shapechanging like a Rakshasa. Rakshasa DR. Uuuuhh....
just need a way to force paladin to get this and sweet conflict of helping poor or get benefit of bonus feats

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 11:29 AM
Hm.

Thinking on it I'd actually not make it Rakshasa based abilities, I'd make it abilities that a Rakshasa could benefit from so that they can take the feat as well.

khadgar567
2016-09-16, 11:33 AM
Thinking on it I'd actually not make it Rakshasa based abilities, I'd make it abilities that a Rakshasa could benefit from so that they can take the feat as well.
agreed with zaydos on this one

Eldan
2016-09-16, 05:02 PM
Any suggestions?

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 05:08 PM
I'd go with looking at the GP cost, returning 90% in common magical effects (i.e. AC bonuses, enhancement bonuses, etc), and then giving bonus feats. Unlike VoP you still have money to pick up key items. So you're spending 2 feats to get back more (though restricted) and 5% of your WBL to make 50% of it unstealable. Maybe throw on some freeby +2 to saves versus illusions.

I'm making a Binding PrC atm but when I'm done I'll try and hammer it out, shouldn't take too long. On that note Haures is supposed to have been a rakshasa who became a ghost. Think there might be something there worth building on/mining for ideas?

Edit: Here we go

Vow of Hedonism [Vile]
You have sworn a vow to the dark powers to live a life of decadent self-indulgence, turning from pragmatism and virtue in your sinful debauchery and through your example lead others to envy and similar excess.
Prerequisites: Unspeakable Vow or Servant of the Striped Lords, Character level 3+.
Benefit: You gain a slew of benefits based upon your character level. These benefits are cumulative except where noted otherwise or where they work as improvements upon each other. However to benefit from this feat you must spend a minimum requisite amount on debauchery, hedonism, and self-indulgence. This gold cannot be spent to procure objects of permanent value, but merely fleeting and transient pleasures. If you do not spend the requisite amount you may maintain this feat, as long as you do on occasion indulge in hedonistic debauchery, but it ceases to improve until you have indulged sufficiently as shown on the table below. While benefits are cumulative, cost is the running total. Magic items sold to sustain such a lifestyle count their full value, instead of ―, for the purpose of paying the hedonism of this feat.
LevelBenefitsCost
3rd+2 resistance bonus to saving throws, Bonus Vile Feat1350 GP
4th+4 competence bonus to skill of choice2,700 GP
5thProfane Strike (+1)4,500 GP
6th+1 Deflection bonus6,500 GP
7th +4 competence bonus to 2 skills of choice9,500 GP
8th+2 enhancement bonus to ability score (of choice)13,500 GP
9th+1 enhancement bonus to natural armor, Mind Shielding18,000 GP
10th+3 resistance bonus to saving throws, +4 competence bonus to skill of choice24,500 GP
11thBonus Vile Feat, Profane Strike (+2, Evil)33,000 GP
12th+4 enhancement bonus to ability score chosen previously.44,000 GP
13th+2 enhancement bonus to 2nd ability score, +2 Deflection bonus.55,000 GP
14th+6 enhancement bonus to 1st ability.75,000 GP
15thProfane Strike (+3), +4 resistance bonus to saving throws, +2 enhancement bonus to natural armor.100,000 GP
16th+4 enhancement bonus to 2nd ability, +3 Deflection bonus to AC, +5 resistance bonus to saving throws.130,000 GP
17thProfane Strike (+4), +4 Deflection bonus to AC, +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor.170,000 GP
18th+4 enhancement bonus to natural armor, +6 resistance bonus to saving throws, +6 enhancement bonus to 2nd ability, +4 competence bonus to skill of choice.220,000 GP.
19thBonus Vile Feat, Profane Strike (+5, epic), +5 Deflection bonus to AC, True Seeing (1/day), DR 3/good290,000 GP
20th+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor, +8 enhancement bonus to first ability score, blur (at-will self only).380,000

Bonus Vile Feat: At 3rd, 11th, and 19th level you gain a bonus vile feat you meet the prerequisites for.

Competence bonus to skill: Each time you gain this ability you must select a different skill.

Profane Strike: Beginning at 5th level any weapon you wield (including natural ones) is considered to have a +1 magical enhancement bonus to attack and damage and overcomes DR as if magic. This increases at the indicated levels. At 11th they also overcome DR as if Evil. At 19th level they overcome DR as if Epic.

Enhancement bonus to ability score: At 6th level select one ability score it gets the listed enhancement bonus, and whenever an enhancement bonus says to 1st ability score. At 13th level you select a 2nd ability score which gets that for the 2nd ability score.

Mind Shielding: Immunity to detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to discern your alignment.

True Seeing: 1/day as a spell-like ability (CL = Character level).

Blur: At-will, self only, SLA (only 1 instance at a time).

Eldan
2016-09-17, 05:46 PM
I'll be perfectly honest, I find this quite boring. It's just numerical bonuses. There really should be a few fluffy abilities related to hedonism in there otherwise... honestly, this could have any name and would be the same with it's rules. Even Vow of Poverty, which I'm really not in love with, gives a few ascetic things. Here there's quite a bit of fluff-crunch disconnect. I feast so much, my muscles are stronger?

Illusion resistance is a good start. Resistance to poison and drugs? Swallow Whole? A few specific spell like abilities? (Entice Gift, ILlusory feast, things like that.)

remetagross
2016-09-20, 05:38 AM
Why not a poison immunity ? I have tested so many narcotics and noxious drugs that my body can barely feel their sting anymore !

And at a higher level, maybe an immunity to 3 negative levels/day. I unquenchably devour everything life has to offer, and as result my life force is supernaturally bolstered by this perpetual nourishment.

Force of Personnality as a bonus feat would fit in nicely too, I think, or even the ability to use Cha instead of Con for Fort saving throws, for example. Because for the sheer contentment of my ego and my thirst of sensation, I can push my body to eat, drink, etc much farther than what it would normally support.

Eldan
2016-09-20, 05:45 AM
A feat was 10'000 gold, right? Not sure how to cost poison immunity. Maybe mettle, too?

remetagross
2016-09-20, 06:43 AM
Hm, Druids get this as a 9th level class feature, and monk as as 11th.

So if the feat gives them complete immunity, it would be at something like 15th level, only at this level you don't see much poison. So maybe a better route would be to give a + 4 to saves against poison, at something like 7th or 8th level.