PDA

View Full Version : How important is that 20?

CaptainCharisma
2016-08-16, 08:42 AM
Im playing a Blood Hunter in my current game. Im going dex and not strength, so my two highest stats are dex and wisdom, each at 18 respectively (yay for lenient DM stat rolls!) My dilemma is that I love feats. One might say I have a feat fetish. Hah. I took dual wielder as a VHuman, will take medium armor master at 4, resiliant (dex) at 8, and after that Im considering just upping con and taking Tough to help offset the penalties of my blood rites. This leaves my wisdom at 18, which lowers the saves on my curses and my wis save, along with increasing the chance of going out of control after being damaged in wereform.

Would you all consider maxing out wisdom or leaving it at 18 and continuing to pick up feats/pump hp? And as a broader question, how important do you all consider having that 20 in that secondary stat?

Sir cryosin
2016-08-16, 08:50 AM
I would work on maxing con if I was you asap then tough, then medium armor master, then max wis.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-16, 09:21 AM
20 isn't important for any ability score.

20 is nice but the highest one needs to stay up with or above the curve of the game, from what I've personally have seen (even in raw games) is 18.

Get a 16 by level 8 and a 18 by level 12 or 16 and you should be fine.

This goes for attack or saves.

AC is rather easy to hit and most monster saves are rather sad. The monsters who do have great saves will save even if you boosted from 18 to 19.

Each point matters more in bounded accuracy , yes, however the game is set up to make it not matter all that much by making monster AC and Saves kinda meh.

WickerNipple
2016-08-16, 09:25 AM
A 20 isn't important at all.

And what's this Blood Hunter stuff? The name alone makes me giggle at 12yos doing game design.

DivisibleByZero
2016-08-16, 09:33 AM
Echoing the above.
20 doesn't make much difference.
All the people that advocate getting 20 as fast as possible are in throwback mode from 3.5/4e. It isn't mandatory by any means.

Corginin
2016-08-16, 09:34 AM

And what's this Blood Hunter stuff? The name alone makes me giggle at 12yos doing game design.

Time to break out the Shadowy Edge Lord class!

Agree with the above as well, you should be fine without that 20.

CaptainCharisma
2016-08-16, 11:14 AM

Im 27 thank you much! Ive graduated from Edgelord to Edge BBEG! :p

Its one of the classes in the Dungeon Masters Guild. Think of the classic monster hunter, or like a specialized 3.5 ranger. They have a subclass that specializes in hunting werecreatures by becoming one. It reminded me of the Gray Wardens from Dragon Age, and I love Dragon Age.

They also have an undead hunter spec, a psudeo warlock fiend spec and another spec that has something to do with mutations that I didnt much look into.

WickerNipple
2016-08-16, 12:02 PM
I can only hope one of my players wants to use this class so we can start calling them the Hepatitis Hero, or some such.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-16, 12:14 PM
I can only hope one of my players wants to use this class so we can start calling them the Hepatitis Hero, or some such.

The majestic Derp the Herp?

krugaan
2016-08-16, 03:58 PM

I lol'ed at this.

There's a great "time of month" joke in here that probably won't make it past the censors.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-16, 04:21 PM
Honestly? Not that much. Over the 16 you probably started with, it's usually a +10% success rate and maybe +4 damage-- 5% and +2 over an 18. The more attacks you make, the more important the high stat becomes for damage, but otherwise you probably won't notice too much of a difference-- the d20 overshadows your modifier pretty consistently. It's nice, to be sure, but hardly required.

NNescio
2016-08-16, 04:23 PM

It's one of Mercer's OP classes. Basically like a Ranger+ and Barbarian+ folded together.

Also makes playing the Cleric plain unfun if the Blood Hunter player is aggressive, because you're effectively fueling his powers with your spell slots.

(Meanwhile the Gunslinger is a Battlemaster++ with free Champion features).

CaptainCharisma
2016-08-16, 10:00 PM
It's one of Mercer's OP classes. Basically like a Ranger+ and Barbarian+ folded together.

Also makes playing the Cleric plain unfun if the Blood Hunter player is aggressive, because you're effectively fueling his powers with your spell slots.

(Meanwhile the Gunslinger is a Battlemaster++ with free Champion features).

Im not sure if its op, although Im still level one, hah. Definately seems like it can dish out the damage but it feels very glass canon-y. With thd Blood Rite health reduction and Blood Curses just outright damaging you, they feel like they would go down fairly easy when coming under focused fire.

Also, our 5 man group doesnt have a cleric to hate me xD Monk, Swashbuckler rogue, Fighter into Bladelock, a Blood Wizard and my Hunter :p