PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I need a monster for backstory purposes

digiman619
2016-08-16, 04:01 PM
It needs to have the [cold] descriptor, preferably be a fey, have a CR of no more than 4 or so, and something that won't kill a curious youth on sight. Any suggestions?

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-16, 05:48 PM
Edit: Gah! Didn't notice the tags. Well, consider porting in any of these 3.5 creatures.

The [cold] subtype is actually pretty uncommon - the only thing in any of the Monster Manuals that fits is the Ice Mephit. Mephits are boring.

If the CR isn't super important you might want to take a look at the Ice or Snow Weird (Frostburn). Elemental weirds are human-shaped spirits of a particular element who're linked to specific places where their element is strong, and they can't leave that area except to return to their native elemental plane, so they're a bit like dryads in that way. An elemental weird would also have good reason to actively attract curious folk to their place of residence, because they're all master diviners and oracles with a focus on specific sorts of prophecies determined by their element; ice weirds are experts on the balance between law and chaos, and snow weirds tend to foretell either great rewards or great dangers. Weirds give out prophecies to people who come to them in exchange for gifts and services. They're also have a CR of 15, spellcasting as an 18th-level sorcerer, and a host of divination SLAs that can be used at will as free actions, so they're way above the level you're looking for, but their immobility and aversion to combat mean they could still be a fit for what you're looking for.

Another Frostburn beastie with a much more reasonable CR is the Qorrashi genie, a CR 6 non-wish-granting [cold] genie. They're almost all lawful-neutral, so they wouldn't attack a precocious young fellow on sight, but their entry does say they enjoy physical combat more than most genies.

Frostburn also has a [cold] Fey that might be a good fit, the CR 9 chaotic-good Rimefire Eidolon, who're weird glowy ice-crystals with Dryad-like links to specific glaciers. They're also the shattered fragments of an ancient god (Hleid), and making friends with one is a requirement to become a Rimefire Witch, a full-casting PrC with some neat and flavorful abilities. A Rimefire Eidolon would probably jump at the chance to teach someone else about Hleid's powers and ideals, so they'd be a really good fit if you like their rather specific fluff.

The Yuki-On-Na is yet another Frostburn creature, and it's a CR 4 chaotic-neutral [cold] Fey. They are, however, not particularly friendly; one of their favorite pastimes is luring people out into blizzards and leaving them to die in the cold.

Bucky
2016-08-16, 05:55 PM
Shadow Drake (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/drakes/drake-shadow)?
Yeti (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/yeti)?

Someguy231
2016-08-16, 08:54 PM
It needs to have the [cold] descriptor, preferably be a fey, have a CR of no more than 4 or so, and something that won't kill a curious youth on sight. Any suggestions?

Perhaps the Yuki-On-Na from Frostburn can do. It's a fey with the cold subtype, with a CR of 4, and is CN for alignment (Though it's older OA version had it as either CG or CE).

digiman619
2016-08-16, 09:13 PM
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll use a Yeti.

Someguy231
2016-08-16, 09:15 PM
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll use a Yeti.

Yeti you say? http://pre13.deviantart.net/4ce3/th/pre/i/2013/001/3/6/listen_to_the_pop_tarts_yeti__by_gruntchovski-d5q0jdc.jpg